VonPepofen

FW190A3 and A5 supercharger bug

I have noticed with surprise that after diving from let´s say 3.000 m, the supercharger of both planes becomes faulty. Critical altitude of the engine falls to about 1.000 m. 1.3 ata becomes emrgency power.

Edited by LukeFF

I was unable to reproduce this. Can you give the exact way you obtain this?

When I start at 3500meters at 100% throttle and dive (rather steep dive), I stay at 1.42 ata until around ~2k where the supercharger gear switches to gear 1 and ata drops by a fraction (to like 1.38 if not 1.40). The ata then goes back to 1.42 as I continue my dive (within the 2-3 seconds after going to SC gear 1). So afaik there is nothing wrong with the supercharger behavior within my tests.

So, to repeat the question, what is the exact experiment in which you observe this "faulty supercharger behavior"? which map, temperature, throttle settings etcetc

2 hours ago, VonPepofen said:

I have noticed with surprise that after diving from let´s say 3.000 m, the supercharger of both planes becomes faulty. Critical altitude of the engine falls to about 1.000 m. 1.3 ata becomes emrgency power.

You only have 2 gears in FW190's supercharger (as in most other planes) so it cannot keep constant manifold pressure as altitude changes, only BF109's unique variable-speed supercharger can do that.

Thanks everybody. Hans has repplied and there is a very noticeable decrease in manifold pressure from 2k to 3k which is modelled in the game.

Sorry, it is Han who has repplied.

This is surprising to me, because William Green in his famous book  "Warplanes of the Third Reich" states that MW50 was available for FW190 from A4 ownwards. It is very weird that máximum manifold pressure available at 2400 rpm is about 1.2 ata in the mentioned height band. Thus MW50 becomes useless .

MW50 was never used in service with BMW801 powered Fw190's.

This supercharger behaviour is not unique to the Fw190, neither in real life, nor in game, as WheelwrightPL has already stated. You can check any other aircraft with a mechanical two stage supercharger system and you'll find it does the same. Provided it has an automatic switchover, of course. Or you can check engine performance curves and you'll realize that this drop in manifold pressure is a necessity for maximum power output.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JtD said:

MW50 was never used in service with BMW801 powered Fw190's.

How about 190A9?

Possibly so. On the other hand the S and in particular the F engine were much improved in detail and designed with higher boosts to start with, and same way a D-2 could take an increase from 1.42 to 1.65 without MW50, the same might be true for later versions with an increase of 1.65 to 1.82.

Additionally, I have yet to see a Fw190A-9 manual to reference an MW50 system.

But then I consider this academic, because 1.82ata did not see service, afaik. IIrc the prop reduction gear of the TS engine as installed on the A-9, was not strong enough to support more power than what was reached with 1.65ata.

7 hours ago, VonPepofen said:

Sorry, it is Han who has repplied.

This is surprising to me, because William Green in his famous book  "Warplanes of the Third Reich" states that MW50 was available for FW190 from A4 ownwards. It is very weird that máximum manifold pressure available at 2400 rpm is about 1.2 ata in the mentioned height band. Thus MW50 becomes useless .

Don't believe everything you read in Green's books. They were first published in the '50s and had MANY errors.