biffa66

Rookie/training servers?

Any recommendations for someone who has been learning for a good while on Single Player but wants to now build confidence/ability in Multiplayer without getting totally obliterated by online Aces every time while learning? Or is it a case of just jumping in the deep end and sink or swim? Cheers 

• Like 1

Official normal server has icons. Normal is a DF server with not a lot of mission objectives. It will give you a chance to practice contact and maneuvering without getting overwhelmed by bounces. There are exceptional pilots on every server, whether normal or expert. Do a few weeks with icons and then graduate to one of the online war servers. Regardless, get on comms.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, biffa66 said:

Any recommendations for someone who has been learning for a good while on Single Player but wants to now build confidence/ability in Multiplayer without getting totally obliterated by online Aces every time while learning? Or is it a case of just jumping in the deep end and sink or swim? Cheers 

You're in the same position I was in a few months ago - getting pretty good on Single Player and wanting to jump the fence and see what online combat is about. You can approach it both ways - try and get some training, or jump in and learn by dying a lot. Its honestly going to be a bit of both regardless.

A lot of online squads have training servers for recruits where they teach you the ropes. Plus if you're in a squad you can be reasonably sure you'll have someone to fly with when you go on a server, which massively increases survivability. You can also make a post looking for someone to fly with - many players are open to mentoring new people in online combat. There may be some training servers that are open to all, I'm honestly not sure.

A good investment would be a headset that you can use with Discord or Teamspeak - I've just gotten one and it makes it much easier to coordinate between players, and much easier for people to mentor you.

That being said, eventually you're going to have to venture onto open servers that have a wide variety of skill levels - running the gamut from relative noobs like me to legendary Experten like Sheriff or Scharfi. Learn to accept now that you're going to get shot down a lot, and that it doesn't mean you're terrible, it just means that sometimes you're unlucky and sometimes people are very, very good.  

Berloga is a good server to learn to dogfight. It's basically an air start dogfight server on a small map where you can spawn in any plane you like and fight the opposing teams. Lives are usually measured in minutes, but since the time to action is like 30 seconds or less, you can very rapidly get a lot of engagements under your belt. Its great for learning how far you can push your plane, practicing gunnery, situational awareness, and evasive manuevers. You WILL get totally obliterated by online aces but it costs you nothing except a little pride, and isnt as frustating as getting bounced after a fifteen minute sortie.

The general combat servers work OK for learning. Combat Box/Wings of Liberty are great servers to dip your toes into - my preference is Combat Box as I like the missions and targets. Wings of Liberty has 'GPS' on so its easier to navigate, but that's also not helping you learn to get around without it, so I consider that a downside. Both servers have a variety of targets and most of them are reasonably close to the frontline airfields, so once again its not so frustrating if you do get shot down quickly. The only issue with Combat Box is that your plane selections are limited without Battle of Bodenplatte, though there are usually at least a couple fighters and bombers from BoS, BoM or BoK for people who don't have the late war fighters yet. Your plane will be outclassed but that matters less than you might think.

Many servers have friendly people and squads who will be more than happy to bring you on board for a mission - if you have a headset, ask in the chat whether anyone is using voice comms and if you can join, or join the official discord chat for the server. Combat Box, for example, has a number of different voice chat channels for each side that people can join to form ad-hoc squads. This is what I've done and so far my experience has been good. 

I have a thread going in General Discussion right now about getting beginners started in online play, and there are a lot of good tips and resources from veterans. If you haven't already, check it out (and ignore the occasional OT post, they're an occupational hazard around here).

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for their help.  I will try my hand at this very soon.  I have a decent headset/mike combo that will work with Teamspeak, so I now need to download this and work out how to use this in game.  See you soon hopefully!

• Upvote 1