Sign in to follow this  
ShamrockOneFive

VIRPIL WarBRD Base and Grip review

Hey folks. I've had a chance to get my hands on VIRPIL's WarBRD Base and Grip and after several weeks of flying with it have finally gotten around to doing my full review. In summary I will say that the WarBRD is one of the best pieces of flight sim tech I've had a chance to fly with. The feel of the base (particularly the tension) took me a bit of time to get used to but once I did I think there's no going back.

virpil-warbrd-01.jpg

Read the full review here: https://stormbirds.blog/2019/06/04/virpil-warbrd-base-and-grip-full-review/

Do any of you fly with the WarBRD? What's your experience?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn't read the review, just wanted to add my Virpil Warbrd base is not level, stick "hangs" to the left. Throttle has some flaws eather. Rattles, buttons super loud, some switches hardly move. Not overwhelmed by Virpils quality standards.

5 hours ago, RIVER said:

Didn't read the review, just wanted to add my Virpil Warbrd base is not level, stick "hangs" to the left. Throttle has some flaws eather. Rattles, buttons super loud, some switches hardly move. Not overwhelmed by Virpils quality standards.

Interesting experiences. I've not found that with either my throttle or the WarBRD. In particular the WarBRD stays perfectly centered.

Have you checked the springs and cams to make sure that everything is ok?

I think if I was to go down this route I would probably get the mongoose base with extensions. I'm currently using and still largely happy with my x55.

That could very well all change though if I was ever to get my hands on a quality stick.

Been running a WarBRD base w/warthog grip since last summer best setup I've ever had  and I've had most of them .

2 hours ago, Herne said:

I think if I was to go down this route I would probably get the mongoose base with extensions. I'm currently using and still largely happy with my x55.

That could very well all change though if I was ever to get my hands on a quality stick.

As a former user of the X55/X56, getting a high-end VKB or Virpil device is life changing. I myself have owned two VKB sticks , and the all metal cam and spring gimbals are totally worth the investment. The smoothness and precision are unmatched, and it will show in your flight performance. No more jerking out of center! You'll never want to go back to a plastic and spring system again.

I still use my X56 throttle. Although, that might change next time Vipril has throttles in stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Shamrock

An small "nick-piking" about review text: :)

" EU customers should have an easier time going through the EU webstore."

EurAsEU in VirPil store don't include European Union, but Eurasian Economic Union (Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia...) only.

European customers should use "Rest of World" store. 😉

About: "...and the long press travel of the two buttons..." 

Thing is that Cougar/Warthog users used criticize VirPil (and VKB) by the short travel of their press buttons (similar to CH joysticks), that this is "not real".

Probable in WarBRD they add a spring under button cap (like in Cougar/Warthog) for have a "realistic travel". 😏

"...you can’t please all of the people all of the time." 😀

BTW - Could inform that WarBRD "twist rudder" - embed in grip and no in the base, use contacless sensor in place of potentiometer, like used in Saitek's and low cost Thrutsmaster.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RIVER said:

Hi River  - your WarBRD base absolutely should not "hang" to the left at all, it should be centered! Please get in touch with us via our support portal regarding any issues you're experiencing so we can get this resolved for you :) 

• Like 2

All right guys, thank you. Will do after Holiday.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:18 AM, Sokol1 said:

Shamrock

An small "nick-piking" about review text: :)

" EU customers should have an easier time going through the EU webstore."

EurAsEU in VirPil store don't include European Union, but Eurasian Economic Union (Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia...) only.

European customers should use "Rest of World" store. 😉

About: "...and the long press travel of the two buttons..." 

Thing is that Cougar/Warthog users used criticize VirPil (and VKB) by the short travel of their press buttons (similar to CH joysticks), that this is "not real".

Probable in WarBRD they add a spring under button cap (like in Cougar/Warthog) for have a "realistic travel". 😏

"...you can’t please all of the people all of the time." 😀

BTW - Could inform that WarBRD "twist rudder" - embed in grip and no in the base, use contacless sensor in place of potentiometer, like used in Saitek's and low cost Thrutsmaster.

Hey Sokol!

Interesting. My understanding was that the store applied to the EU as well. Can someone confirm? I thought that was where VAT was applied whereas the rest of world one does not (although we more than pay for that with import fees).

Also interesting regarding the travel. I prefer a short press but if that's what people are after then who am I to say :)

According to VIRPIL's product page the twist sensor is contactless:

All-Metal Twist Axis Mechanism with VPC Contactless Sensor

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-grip.html

Posted (edited)

This Reddit post confirm that WarBRD grip pinky button and probable the button in top of grip has spring under button cap - the guy removed the spring of pinky button.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/c0yhxk/diy_warbrd_grip_twist_axis_lock/

The text under «  » in this review of Thrustmaster F-18 HOTAS AddOn praising the "heaviness" and course of joy buttons by some brand exemplify this "realism" preference of some virtual pilots.

http://www.checksix-fr.com/test-thrustmaster-hotas-addon-grip-f-a-18c-hornet/

An no, the switches in the stick mentioned in that review are not "haut de gamme" but the most cheap possible - just a cooper dome exposed over a PCB, costing less than the  "solution « économique »" used by CH, VKB, VPC. That spring do the "realism" trick. ;)

Edited by Sokol1