Size and distance

LuseKofte

I am a bit puzzled about the sizes of vehicles and distanses.

Lately due to my job I have been flying in choppers, And due to high mountains the altitudes at one flight goes from very low too high. 

And seeing cars and other objects from seemingly same distance as I do while pulling the trigger in game. They are much easier to see and bigger. Many of the trucks out in the field is ex military with lokal camouflage pattern.

I would like to have the size of object a bit bigger, or the size do not increase enough on the objects closing in.

I tested this several times in QMB and noticed, that the plane looked right in size from a distance from target viewed from target than the target should do viewed from the cockpit.

It is all a impression I got, kind of hard showing it on screenshot since the ones I take do not show as seen in game.

Anyone that could try to do the same and see what they think.

I might be wrong , because I got the same impression about this in DCS 

Edited by LuseKofte
=X51=H_Stiglitz
3 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The size of objects can appear quite random at times.

XerIKPN.jpg

Damn those are big barrels 😄

Geronimo553

The problem in game is that, there is depth of field blur and ssao blur. SSAO compresses pixels to create smoother lines and depth of field makes objects at distance look blurry to simulate visual distance. So the result is, objects at distance are blurry and then their small pixel size is then compressed further to create smooth blurry lines. Currently there is no way to turn off this depth of field blur and only sharpening can dampen it's visual effect and ssao can be turned off. I'm hoping, the devs will allow us in the future to turn off depth of field.

Open both of these images, flip back and forth while staring at the cockpit rear armor glass. One picture has the ssao off and depth of field neutralized with sharpening. While the other picture has the default settings/effects turned on and untouched. The problem is only more exeragater the further an object is away. Can you see the hazy blur that would otherwise be unnoticed? The texture of the plane is also blurry by default as well thanks to depth of field. Which can be observed by looking at the rivets near the rear fuselage section near the tail or the wording just under the cockpit glass.

oPfC5kD.jpg

SSAO off and sharpening
PFvw9mg.jpg

Now that you can see the blur, know that, this is the cause for the size and distance problem @LuseKofte.

(one of the small projects I'm working on for my performance guide. which is comparing such images and distances)

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
SharpeXB

Things look smaller in the game because your monitor is smaller than real life... 🤨

1 hour ago, Geronimo553 said:

SSAO compresses pixels to create smoother lines 

I don’t think that’s what SSAO does

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_space_ambient_occlusion

are you sure you don’t mean antialiasing?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_anti-aliasing

LuseKofte

Yes but if you pause the game and go to target view you clearly see a difference between distance / size of plane and f.exs the train looks from your cockpit. 

I did count in the screen and real life difference

Geronimo553
26 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

are you sure you don’t mean antialiasing?

I'm sure and you are welcome to test for yourself. 

SharpeXB
25 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Yes but if you pause the game and go to target view you clearly see a difference between distance / size of plane and f.exs the train looks from your cockpit. 

I did count in the screen and real life difference

I’m sure perspective on a screen isn’t quite real life. Even in VR the IPD can really affect how large things appear. I’m sure the objects in the game are modeled the correct size. Can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be. I wonder if a focal length effect in the game to allow you to see your cockpit without it appearing distorted like a GoPro camera view. 

Otherwise our view would look like this

Edited by SharpeXB
LuseKofte

I am not disagreeing with you, I think there is a gap happening closing in that create my 

impression. Target get larger as you close in and it might be some sized that appear wrong. 

It is not unique for this game I see the same in DCS

SharpeXB
5 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I am not disagreeing with you, I think there is a gap happening closing in that create my 

impression. Target get larger as you close in and it might be some sized that appear wrong. 

It is not unique for this game I see the same in DCS

No disagreement here either. I think the effect in DCS might be more pronounced. I’m sure these sims have to play some tricks so we can see the cockpit. In reality they’d be so tight you wouldn’t be able to even look down into them. RoF is a good example with the WWI pits. They’re really small. Like the I-16. Yet we don’t see a fisheye when we look out at the world. 

1PL-Husar-1Esk

Since all object size can be scaled in artificial environment all depends  on correct geometric proportion between them and our distance  to them and point of view.  I can see errors it relative size  especially if you use wide angle monitor. All peripheral object are drawn much bigger for what they should at that distance in relation to object closer to center of screen.

• Like 1
[120DIS]KathoriasTV

This all happens because of the concept of angular size as opposed to absolute size, the latter of which will change based on your equipment, settings, etc. Ideally, there should be a scaling feature like Smart Scaling in Falcon 4.0 BMS, which preserves angular size through a wide range of settings and equipment. There's even a nice research paper that goes along with it, which I'm not sure I can link directly here, but the title is Improving Target Orientation Discrimination Performance in Air-to-air Flight Simulation, authored by Gary Serfoss, 2003.

Edit: the paper is available online to read, for anyone curious.

Edited by [120DIS]KathoriasTV
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1