Geronimo553

Real life vs ingame sounds

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

On the contrary, those piston engine planes are (sometimes far) louder than the jet. Only specific and mostly way more powerful turbojets are louder. The Jumo is not that powerful. The turbofan engines of today are almost inaudible (especially in the „1000 hp class“) compared to the piston engines.

On jet engines there are two main sources of sound.

The first one is the moving parts - roughly dependant on the number of blades times the RPM), which is rather discrete and you'll get a nice collection of discrete sounds and their harmonics by each stage. There is some rotor/ stator interference (which is why on modern engines, stators are usually odd-numbered and in a set relation to the number of even-numbered rotor blades in each stage).

You can hear compressor- and turbine-blades. On modern engines, you can't hear the turbine on take-off from up-front, as the airflow in the HP turbine reaches sonic speeds at high power-settings.

Then there is exhaust mixing, which scales roughly to the power of eight for hot exhausts (turbojets, core jet of turbofans) or to the power of five for cool exhausts (turbofan fan air) with the speed-differential between shear-layers.

That's why straight-pipe turbojets are loud as duck.

10 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

According to 20th FG P-51 pilot Joe Peterburs who given several wonderful talks on our Squad TeamSpeak, from the cockpit everything is just a wall of noise from the engine, especially with a flight helmet on. He stated that you couldn't hear your own guns firing and impacts from enemy rounds were felt as vibrations rather than heard.

Having flown in a P-51 (albeit with 100LL Avgas MAP-limitations) I can assure you this is the case.

You can hear nothing except the brute sound through your David Clarks.

Normal intercom communications are futile due to the amount of ambient noise picked up when speaking.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Normal intercom communications are futile due to the amount of ambient noise picked up when speaking.

Isn't this why throat mics were commonly used?

48 minutes ago, -332FG-Garven said:

Isn't this why throat mics were commonly used?

They are not really that much better than *todays* microphones. They are however more convenient when you have to wear a mask.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I can assure you the BF109 engine sounds are used in more than just the 109 series. 

Not so. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Not so. 

I advise you to actually check before making such short responses.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'm very interested to hear how the Napier Sabre is done, the only decent recording of how it sounds is featured in the RAF Recognition film for AAA crews. Contemporary accounts say it was something like twice as noisy as a Merlin, with a very much more high frequency exhaust note.

Edited by Lythronax

9 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I did, and...I still stand by my initial reply. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Geronimo,

You must remember that he is a tester as well as the author of the BOS manuals (haven’t read those), although not a developer.  You have to expect and realise that as a tester he will know things that the rest of us will not be aware of.  However, I’m also sure he was adamant all those years ago that the A-3 FM was correct, until they changed it.  

I think some of the sounds could be better, however perhaps there are more pressing issues that need addressing and as such I’m sure things will be resolved, eventually.

Regards

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

Geronimo,

You must remember that he is a tester as well as the author of the BOS manuals (haven’t read those), although not a developer.  You have to expect and realise that as a tester he will know things that the rest of us will not be aware of.  However, I’m also sure he was adamant all those years ago that the A-3 FM was correct, until they changed it.  

I think some of the sounds could be better, however perhaps there are more pressing issues that need addressing and as such I’m sure things will be resolved, eventually.

Regards

Pretty sure he was not 'adamant' that it was "correct" 

It was obvious that some things were wrong. 

What the hot debates were about were some of the 'dubious' non helpful evidence and very insulting attitude of many of the "complainers" 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dakpilot said:

Pretty sure he was not 'adamant' that it was "correct" 

It was obvious that some things were wrong. 

What the hot debates were about were some of the 'dubious' non helpful evidence and very insulting attitude of many of the "complainers" 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Dakpilot,

I notice you use "Pretty sure" as I indeed used "sure".  That said, I'm almost sure that "sure" in the court of law doesn't imply it to be 100% fact!

In addition, I believe dismissing others views is just as insulting and to be honest, I can't be arsed looking through the whole FM A-3 thread as to who said what, why and when.  What i do know is that I believed the FM was correct (as the so called evidence was dubious) and had faith in the system that it was correct as why wouldn't have been!?  My own very thoughts were proven wrong and hence since then I have always had a more open approach and try not be so so dismissive of others views as happened with the whole FM discussion!  However, each to their own!

At the end of the day, this is after all only a PC game, so what I think isn't really a first world problem! 

Regards

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Haza said:

However, I’m also sure he was adamant all those years ago that the A-3 FM was correct, until they changed it.  

Not to drag this too off-topic but no, I was never adamant that the Fw 190 A-3 FM was correct - only that until someone came forth with concrete proof that it needed correction (which eventually happened), I stood by the dev's original coding of its FM. 

Just now, LukeFF said:

Not to drag this too off-topic but no, I was never adamant that the Fw 190 A-3 FM was correct - only that until someone came forth with concrete proof that it needed correction (which eventually happened), I stood by the dev's original coding of its FM. 

@LukeFF,

Thank you for that clarification. 

15 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Ahh, I see now thank you. Definitely wish the game had sounds closer to this.

Regarding sounds, I watched a youtube a few years ago about another gaming franchise that dealt with sounds by actually recording historical tracked vehicles/weapons using museum pieces to ensure that the sounds were as near as damn it, factually based.

Therefore, I apologise if it has been mentioned/asked before, but are the sounds in game genuine "recorded" sounds or are the current in game sounds generated from scratch (I'm not a software guy).  Can anybody expand on that please?

Regards

Some sounds are good, others not so much. The sound that bothers me most of all is the P-47 Trubo whine, it's a tell tale sign that a P-47 is around and I have my doubts that is sounded as loud as it does in-game. Another thing that bothers me is hearing the same turbo whine no matter the rpms of the turbo or if it's even running. (I'll have to double check this)

The P-47 engine sounds as a whole need some work imo but I can live with it for now, hope we see some improvement one day.

The only other sounds that really bother me is the gun sounds, especially of the .50s. I'd prefer not to hear the guns at all but I understand players want to hear the sounds. At the very least I think they should be more of a muffled noise rather than the sharp sound that it is now.

Hearing other players aircraft and guns when nearby also bothers me alot.

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, JgonRedcorn said:

Tigersound mod was nothing short of horrible in il2 1946. Having some generic canned flyby sound is not going to add anything to this game. Have fun working with the Fmod sound engine.

For you it was a horrible experiance, for thousands of other it was a complete gamechanger, fantastic. You must love your lawnmover.

Edited by -47-Fritz_or_Ivan

On 6/22/2019 at 6:38 PM, Legioneod said:

Some sounds are good, others not so much. The sound that bothers me most of all is the P-47 Trubo whine, it's a tell tale sign that a P-47 is around and I have my doubts that is sounded as loud as it does in-game. Another thing that bothers me is hearing the same turbo whine no matter the rpms of the turbo or if it's even running. (I'll have to double check this)

The P-47 engine sounds as a whole need some work imo but I can live with it for now, hope we see some improvement one day.

The only other sounds that really bother me is the gun sounds, especially of the .50s. I'd prefer not to hear the guns at all but I understand players want to hear the sounds. At the very least I think they should be more of a muffled noise rather than the sharp sound that it is now.

Hearing other players aircraft and guns when nearby also bothers me alot.

You might like the old sounds then, where they were muffled under the engine noise. The quality wasnt as good IMO however. https://youtu.be/qf2CgXqs3UM?t=236

As for the profession from some people here that the game uses the same engine noise for similar airfraft this is true, but not without merit. The Yaks share the same engine as the Pe2 series and they rightly sound remarkably similar, but not exactly similar (Pe2 is louder and more bass). Same story with the 109 and the Mc202, yet they still have unique tuning between one another (mc202 has less gear whine). One more example is the Mig3 and the Il2. Having similar engine noises does not mean its bad, in fact i would be jarred to find that two planes with similar engines sound drastically different from one another and would be complaining about that her. But im not because how it is now sits right with me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Field-Ops said:

You might like the old sounds then, where they were muffled under the engine noise. The quality wasnt as good IMO however. https://youtu.be/qf2CgXqs3UM?t=236

As for the profession from some people here that the game uses the same engine noise for similar airfraft this is true, but not without merit. The Yaks share the same engine as the Pe2 series and they rightly sound remarkably similar, but not exactly similar (Pe2 is louder and more bass). Same story with the 109 and the Mc202, yet they still have unique tuning between one another (mc202 has less gear whine). One more example is the Mig3 and the Il2. Having similar engine noises does not mean its bad, in fact i would be jarred to find that two planes with similar engines sound drastically different from one another and would be complaining about that her. But im not because how it is now sits right with me.

Agree on everything you said. Aircraft with same or similar engines should definitely have similar sounds, that just makes sense.

As for the guns a good example of what I'd like is the DCS P-51, when firing the .50s they sound somewhat muffled. I'd prefer them to be a bit more muffled though.

Posted (edited)

A little panzer love for you all

Edited by Geronimo553

I haven`t read the whole thread, but the engine sounds pretty good to me. Sometimes I land and switch the engine off just to hear the other aircraft coming in to land.

I do have some reservations though. I notice I can sometimes hear other aircraft engines while in flight. For instance I was chasing a 109 and shot him up a bit. Then I heard some engine `wheezing` sound like it was dying. I thought it was my engine, but realised it was the 109 that I`d hit.

Also sometimes when I shoot an enemy aircraft, I swear I can hear the shots impact on the aircraft. Surely, I should not be hearing these sounds over my own engine?

You are correct, you surely should not.. But it has been a long known shortcoming of the fmod sound engine, used in iL-2 and many other titles, which hopefully will be remedied with the forthcoming sound engine update mentioned in recent DD's

Cheers, Dakpilot 

8 hours ago, seafireliv said:

I haven`t read the whole thread, but the engine sounds pretty good to me. Sometimes I land and switch the engine off just to hear the other aircraft coming in to land.

I do have some reservations though. I notice I can sometimes hear other aircraft engines while in flight. For instance I was chasing a 109 and shot him up a bit. Then I heard some engine `wheezing` sound like it was dying. I thought it was my engine, but realised it was the 109 that I`d hit.

Also sometimes when I shoot an enemy aircraft, I swear I can hear the shots impact on the aircraft. Surely, I should not be hearing these sounds over my own engine?

If you are close enough you can hear the hits on enemy aircraft, definitely. You're not imagining it.

I was always curious who got the 20m cannon sounds right— clod or box? Box is more of a clatter, clod is more of a thump...

1 hour ago, von_Michelstamm said:

I was always curious who got the 20m cannon sounds right— clod or box? Box is more of a clatter, clod is more of a thump...

It can be endlessly debated. I personally think the weapon sounds are a bit too loud in box compared to the noise of the engine. I was fortunate enough to recently get a flight in a B25 and I can tell you that those 2 engines make it impossible to hear anything. I took off my noise canceling headset for 1 second and immediately put it back on. The noise is staggering. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

It can be endlessly debated. I personally think the weapon sounds are a bit too loud in box compared to the noise of the engine. I was fortunate enough to recently get a flight in a B25 and I can tell you that those 2 engines make it impossible to hear anything. I took off my noise canceling headset for 1 second and immediately put it back on. The noise is staggering. 

I was always of the impression that in reality the engine of your own craft would be too noisy to hear anything much of the other aircraft unless it exploded, likely not even then. From logic and extrapolation, I still think you shouldn`t hear anything much of the other aircraft unless your own engine is feathering to off, certainly not hear their whining engine or bullet hits over your own. It just makes sense.

Just surprising to see in an otherwise pretty realistic sim.

Edited by seafireliv

43 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

I was always of the impression that in reality the engine of your own craft would be too noisy to hear anything much of the other aircraft unless it exploded, likely not even then. From logic and extrapolation, I still think you shouldn`t hear anything much of the other aircraft unless your own engine is feathering to off, certainly not hear their whining engine or bullet hits over your own. It just makes sense.

I think part of the reason is that we can't feel anything in a sim. I would expect that taking hits in a real one is something that you could feel through vibration in the air frame and the like, but as we can't feel anything the sound can help to clue you in that you are under fire. I also remember an interview with I believe it was a P-47 pilot who's armor behind the chair was taking hits and he said it sounded like popcorn. Remember, the sound that we hear comes from vibration, and if you take hits to parts of the aircraft that are connected decently to your chair/pedals, you would likely be able to feel it which can possibly also translate into sound. 

6 hours ago, seafireliv said:

I said earlier it is a known limitation in the Fmod sound engine used by the game. 

In many aspects it is much more sophisticated and has advantages over previous IL-2 iterations. 

As was said in recent DD"s they are updating the whole game sound engine to a newer version, hopefully this will alleviate many of the shortcomings / issue's 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dakpilot said:

I said earlier it is a known limitation in the Fmod sound engine used by the game. 

In many aspects it is much more sophisticated and has advantages over previous IL-2 iterations. 

As was said in recent DD"s they are updating the whole game sound engine to a newer version, hopefully this will alleviate many of the shortcomings / issue's 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Well that`s good to know. I was worried they had it in there to make it `more exciting`, but the fact that it`s a game limitation is fine.