Real life vs ingame sounds

Geronimo553

Dakpilot

Am sorry but some of your antics seem to deserve a smiley laugh... 

It is as simple as that. 

As far as 262 sounds are concerned maybe it is best to wait for release before spamming multiple threads with preemptive drama 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 3
DD_Arthur
40 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

an attempt to make me appear ignorant

They have succeeded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor
1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

They have succeeded.

A great victory indeed. Huzzah's all around.

Tiger_33

On this video, we hear the real sound of Jumo 004.
Indeed the Yak 15 was a Yak 3  with a jumo 004 reactor built with better materials.

We can hear perfectly the starting sequence with the 2-stroke Riedel engine and the starting up to about 8500 rpm.

All the video is interesting but for the start sequence it's from 20:57.

• Thanks 3
Geronimo553
3 hours ago, Tiger_33 said:

On this video, we hear the real sound of Jumo 004.
Indeed the Yak 15 was a Yak 3  with a jumo 004 reactor built with better materials.

We can hear perfectly the starting sequence with the 2-stroke Riedel engine and the starting up to about 8500 rpm.

All the video is interesting but for the start sequence it's from 20:57.

A very interesting video find, thanks for sharing. Now we have two Jumo video examples. 

Psyrion

@Geronimo553 Maybe, just maybe, if you don´t make so many funny posts, people wouldn´t have to react with funny smiley you know. :biggrin:

I mean, no offence but complaining about me262 sounds of a pre release version on the basis of a phone recording is already pretty funny but then posting a me262 replica flying with GE engines as a reference is pretty good.

Before you complain again, here´s a jumo 004 from the FHCA museum running.
https://es-la.facebook.com/flyingheritage/videos/for-the-first-time-in-well-over-half-a-century-a-german-junkers-jumo-004-jet-eng/10152841379843666/

Edited by Psyrion
  • Upvote 1
Geronimo553
14 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

@Geronimo553 Maybe, just maybe, if you don´t make so many funny posts, people wouldn´t have to react with funny smiley you know. :biggrin:

I mean, no offence but complaining about me262 sounds of a pre release version on the basis of a phone recording is already pretty funny but then posting a me262 replica flying with GE engines as a reference is pretty good.

Before you complain again, here´s a jumo 004 from the FHCA museum running.
https://es-la.facebook.com/flyingheritage/videos/for-the-first-time-in-well-over-half-a-century-a-german-junkers-jumo-004-jet-eng/10152841379843666/

If you had actually participated in the thread instead of just spamming reactions to all my posts. Then you would of clearly seen this was already provided on page two by @Voidhunger

Edited by Geronimo553
Psyrion
4 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

If you had actually participated in the thread instead of just spamming reactions to all my posts. Then you would of clearly seen this was already provided on page two by @Voidhunger

No worries, I saw it ^^

PS: You´re not actually getting offended by a smiley are you?

Edited by Psyrion
Geronimo553

From what I have found, in game for the 262 I would say this video is the closest comparison to the sounds we have. So firstly watch this video starting at 1:12 (I time stamped it) and listen to the 262 pass by the camera until 1:50 then scroll down below.

12w4kRO.png

As you can hear, in this video we mainly hear the turbojet turbine intaking air at all times. But when the 262 flies by the camera we also hear the roar of the exhaust from the backside very clearly. In game the devs nearly perfectly crafted a custom sound that mirrors the turbine air intake. (well done devs) So after I ran a few tests in a quick mission using F3 view I noticed that the exhaust roar is indeed present. However the roar that follows the aircraft is near silent and barely audible. Thus I have found that the exhaust roar is not missing and is instead very quiet. In fact it cannot be heard over the turbines air intake until 300m away in distance as shown in this picture. Feel free to replicate this in your own game using F3 or using F2 pulling the camera back to 300m or beyond for comparison. I believe the sound volume of the roar needs to be greatly increased in order to match the sounds represented in the video above. Otherwise the sounds in game present the ME262 perfectly. Just a little fine tuning in the audio department here.

Edited by Geronimo553
Voidhunger

Im quite surprised to hear the wind (drag)sound in Me262 cockpit when im reaching 800kph. Its almost the same as in prop fighters. I thought that this will be noticeable at higher speed in schwalbe.

-TBC-AeroAce

Well one sound issue that I have found is how loud you hear the damage you do to other aircraft as you fly past. It is quite jarring. 

• Upvote 2
LukeFF
20 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

From what I have found, in game for the 262 I would say this video is the closest comparison to the sounds we have.

And, once again, those engines are nothing like the original ones. 

Geronimo553
5 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

And, once again, those engines are nothing like the original ones. 

Well tell that to the devs who selected the sounds we have for the 262. As that video is the closest real life representation to the sounds we have in game. If you can find another more accurate video then all by all means share it here.

-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

The Audio quality of that video is nothing short of garbage. 

I will say this again, sounds echoing around and off the ground sound a lot better than if something flew by at altitude. 

Im not saying the sounds are perfect but they have been constantly improved over the years and i suspect there will be major changes again as the sound of the new aircraft is clearly much better. The sound engineer has come a long way and its amazing to see that.

Edited by -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor
Geronimo553
20 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

The Audio quality of that video is nothing short of garbage. 

I will say this again, sounds echoing around and off the ground sound a lot better than if something flew by at altitude. 

Im not saying the sounds are perfect but they have been constantly improved over the years and i suspect there will be major changes again as the sound of the new aircraft is clearly much better. The sound engineer has come a long way and its amazing to see that.

What does any of that have to do with the near silent roar of the exhaust??

-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

Mine is quite loud actually, what kind of sound setup are you using?

Geronimo553
2 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

Mine is quite loud actually, what kind of sound setup are you using?

Obviously you are making that up, as sound of each plane is the same for everyone. The devs just needs to increase the individual sound of the exhaust roar for the 262, that's it. Dunno why you want to make a fuss about it. 

-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

?????? I possibly don't understand what you mean by roar, are you talking about the flyby sound? or the sound inside the cockpit? 

Sound setup also makes a difference, my 7.1 headset changes the sound of the game entirely compared to a 2.0. Makes certain sounds much more pronounced and radials sound much more like radials. 

Edited by -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor
Geronimo553
1 hour ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

?????? I possibly don't understand what you mean by roar, are you talking about the flyby sound? or the sound inside the cockpit? 

The sound from the exhaust exiting from the back of the turbine. It is a signature sound of all jet engines. 

-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

Yes I know jets make sound, they are noisey buggers. 

So your talking about the external fly by sound? Or the noise inside the cockpit? 

Which one of those is too quiet? 

Field-Ops

Hes saying the external sounds of the plane after its passed by is missing a booming sort of sound that is basically the thrusting noise. I think it is fine as it is when up high but maybe down low the booming noise would and should be more noticeable. I dont mind the way it is but improvement doesnt hurt. 

• Like 1
-LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

Ahh I see, yes some bass needs to be added for sure.

Though not only to the 262, all the planes could use a little bass boost to give them a little more "feeling".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
ZachariasX
47 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

Ahh I see, yes some bass needs to be added for sure.

Though not only to the 262, all the planes could use a little bass boost to give them a little more "feeling".

The real prop aircraft don‘t sound like they have a „bass boost“. In fact what we have in game now has already more bass (on a decent speaker setting) than the real aircraft. If you have no muffler on an engine you have as much bass as in the firing sound of a gun. That one does have bass, but it has all other frequencies as well, diluting out the low frequencies.

The only significant bass sound you get in a Spitfire is the propwash or airstream. 

• Like 2
-47-Uncle_Bob

Hey people,  help me out. I enjoyed very much tiger33 sounds for the good old il2 1946. Is there a way, a simpel way to have something play just a waw file with an actual flyby sound when i hit the flyby button. It is just for my own amusement and doesnt have to be perfect. Maybe I could alter the length of the waw file to fit the length of the actual flyby? Come on, please tell me there is a way to do this.

6./ZG26_5tuka
12 hours ago, -47-Fritz_or_Ivan said:

Is there a way, a simpel way to have something play just a waw file with an actual flyby sound when i hit the flyby button?

No.

-47-Uncle_Bob
1 minute ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

No.

It just said ziiiziiiingggg in my head. I came to think about the free software soundboards where you can have it play any sound you map it to. I can even give these sounds a shortcut key and will try to map it to the flyby key. People just saying "no" when they dont really know what they are talking about. How about you say "i dont know, i dont think so." Seen people like you in action before with your fancy nametags with thousands of posts, driving away talentet people with your negative little petty minds. God damn boy..... Im gonna make this work. The flybysounds in this game are just atrociusly uninspiring.

• Haha 1
JonRedcorn
3 hours ago, -47-Fritz_or_Ivan said:

It just said ziiiziiiingggg in my head. I came to think about the free software soundboards where you can have it play any sound you map it to. I can even give these sounds a shortcut key and will try to map it to the flyby key. People just saying "no" when they dont really know what they are talking about. How about you say "i dont know, i dont think so." Seen people like you in action before with your fancy nametags with thousands of posts, driving away talentet people with your negative little petty minds. God damn boy..... Im gonna make this work. The flybysounds in this game are just atrociusly uninspiring.

Tigersound mod was nothing short of horrible in il2 1946. Having some generic canned flyby sound is not going to add anything to this game. Have fun working with the Fmod sound engine.

• Upvote 2
6./ZG26_5tuka
4 hours ago, -47-Fritz_or_Ivan said:

It just said ziiiziiiingggg in my head. I came to think about the free software soundboards where you can have it play any sound you map it to. I can even give these sounds a shortcut key and will try to map it to the flyby key. ..... Im gonna make this work. The flybysounds in this game are just atrociusly uninspiring.

A great example of throwing stones in a glass house. There are no "flyby" sounds as in old IL-2 1946 because the Great Battles series uses a different sound engine (FMod) which is not easy to modify as per replacing wav files. As an advantage however sounds can be mixed from different samples and played differently depending on multiple conditions (speed, direction, distance, spectator angle, ect.). That does not work with static samples that you call for.

If you really want to change something seriously I advise to download the FMod dev kit and study the software for at least 3 months intensively, than rebuild the sound bank from the core and mix in new samples that sound more to your liking. If not you might leave it to the devs to make best of what ressources they have availabel.

4 hours ago, -47-Fritz_or_Ivan said:

People just saying "no" when they dont really know what they are talking about. How about you say "i dont know, i dont think so." Seen people like you in action before with your fancy nametags with thousands of posts, driving away talentet people with your negative little petty minds. God damn boy...

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
kestrel79

I've always though IL2 BoX had the best stock sound in a flight sim. You can't compare stock sound to a modded game's sound, of course a modded game that's been out for years may have some better sound but for stock IL2 can't be beat.

I love how loud it is. The engines when you go full throttle really feel like they are being pushed over their limit and will blow if you keep it maxed for a couple minutes. Also each plane has a relatively distinct engine noise. Most games use a stock one for a bunch of planes. At first I was mad I couldn't hear the gear or flaps going up or down over the roar of the engine in IL2 but this is probably pretty realistic. The engine should be the main thing you hear. The guns sound beefy too when firing them.

And when you get shot at and take damage, it always makes me jump combined with the buttkicker it always scares me as it should be! Love it. Keep up the good work and keep improving it over time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

A DB605 startup video i did a couple of years ago at an airshow outside of Copenhagen... It actually captures the "real sound" surprisingly well - you get the kind of oscillating / resonance sounds IRL as well.

The DB605 really has an evil sound IRL. And the sound level is surprising close up ... Just before this me and my kids where as close to a Spitifire with a Merlin doing a startup... Sound like a well combed kitten in comparison. Asked the kids and their friends which one sounded "baddest". They all screamed unanimous - the Messershmitt!!! Naturally that included the compressor howl on the fly bys as well ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Geronimo553
19 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

Also each plane has a relatively distinct engine noise. 

I can assure you the BF109 engine sounds are used in more than just the 109 series. The sound of the engine siezing/stopping is also used on many planes. 

I also noticed that the 262 turbo jets are more quiet than a prop engine. I have never heard both in real life so I'm not sure how accurate the difference in loudness is between a jet and prop. I assume the jet would be much louder. 

6./ZG26_Custard
59 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

The engine should be the main thing you hear. The guns sound beefy too when firing them.

According to 20th FG P-51 pilot Joe Peterburs who given several wonderful talks on our Squad TeamSpeak, from the cockpit everything is just a wall of noise from the engine, especially with a flight helmet on. He stated that you couldn't hear your own guns firing and impacts from enemy rounds were felt as vibrations rather than heard.

• Upvote 1
ZachariasX
7 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I also noticed that the 262 turbo jets are more quiet than a prop engine. I have never heard both in real life so I'm not sure how accurate the difference in loudness is between a jet and prop. I assume the jet would be much louder

On the contrary, those piston engine planes are (sometimes far) louder than the jet. Only specific and mostly way more powerful turbojets are louder. The Jumo is not that powerful. The turbofan engines of today are almost inaudible (especially in the „1000 hp class“) compared to the piston engines.

You can hear turbojets well because they are shrieking at a frequency where you hear very well.

• Like 1
[120DIS]KathoriasTV
27 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

On the contrary, those piston engine planes are (sometimes far) louder than the jet. Only specific and mostly way more powerful turbojets are louder. The Jumo is not that powerful. The turbofan engines of today are almost inaudible (especially in the „1000 hp class“) compared to the piston engines.

You can hear turbojets well because they are shrieking at a frequency where you hear very well.

Shakes with pilot accounts of the early jets, really. I distinctly remember reading a couple of anecdotes where they found the jets unsettling because the cockpit was so quiet. Quiet in a prop meant engine failure! 

• Like 1
ZachariasX
8 hours ago, mazex said:

The DB605 really has an evil sound IRL. And the sound level is surprising close up ... Just before this me and my kids where as close to a Spitifire with a Merlin doing a startup... Sound like a well combed kitten in comparison.

Same as the DB601. Although you show a nice recording, it doesn't capture the loudness of that engine. The Merlin... it's just so soft and smooth compared to that. It does some catching up though once you go past +4 lbs. boost. Below that, you hear mostly propwash in the aircaft (through the headset).

But witnessing a full power test run of a DB601, I really can't think of a louder pistion engine. (The Jumo piston engines are probably loud as well in such a way.) The only thing that comes close to it are the F-4 Phantom II that in the good old days could zoom right over the heads of the crowd at airshows going at full afterburner. Although the jet is clearly louder in absolute terms, the percieved difference between "other things flying" and THAT, that is what I felt next to the DB601 compared to various Spitfires running at similar power outputs.

Geronimo553
31 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Although you show a nice recording, it doesn't capture the loudness of that engine.

I do not see a video, was one attached?

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Very good information and insight, thank you.