Geronimo553

Real life vs ingame sounds

1 hour ago, danielprates said:

But that would require references we simply don't have, me thinks....

Well, don't forget that a number of guys at 1CGS are licensed pilots, and they can (and have) called upon pilots outside the organization that have helped with a number of "realism" aspects over the years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Well, don't forget that a number of guys at 1CGS are licensed pilots, and they can (and have) called upon pilots outside the organization that have helped with a number of "realism" aspects over the years. 

Right on. Those are probably the best reference available, imo.

As far as gun sounds go they SHOULD be loud. I was talking with an elderly gentleman a few years back and he had a friend who had flown spitfires in the Battle of Britain. He told me that his friend had said that the sound of the guns firing scared the hell out of him the first few times he pulled the trigger and it drowned out everything else. It was loud enough that if you flew a sortie and fired your guns during it your ears would be ringing for hours after!

• Upvote 1

That's odd. Our squad had the pleasure of talking to a WW2 and Korea P-51 pilot and he basicly said he didn't really hear the brownings firing from within the cockpit.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

That's odd. Our squad had the pleasure of talking to a WW2 and Korea P-51 pilot and he basicly said he didn't really hear the brownings firing from within the cockpit.

The P51 is a very loud engine compared to the spitfire and more so the earlier versions. Probably head muffling gear assisted in this as well. Different planes, different results. 

8 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

The P51 is a very loud engine compared to the spitfire and more so the earlier versions. Probably head muffling gear assisted in this as well. Different planes, different results. 

What is different in the instalation of Merlin in Mustang compared to the Spitfire that makes it very loud? 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

As if the British pilots didn't wear headgear? C'mon.... One could also argue that exhaust stacks are higher in Spits than in Mustangs, making them aim more "in the face" of the pilot, and thus being louder for the Brits. That being said...

20 minutes ago, Dakpilot said:

What is different in the instalation of Merlin in Mustang compared to the Spitfire that makes it very loud? 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

...nothing apart from paired stacks on early Spits & Hurris vs individual ones on later Spits & Mustangs, but I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference. At least there doesn't seem to be any major difference when you watch them live on airshows. 

9 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

There's nothing different enough from the Packard to RR Merlins that would cause this.  There's no reason a Packard Merlin would be louder than a same type Rolls Royce built unit. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Why the laughing emoji when I ask a reasonable question? 

Or am I not getting the joke

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Dakpilot said:

Why the laughing emoji when I ask a reasonable question? 

Or am I not getting the joke

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Because the discussion of the experiences of who heard what between two seperate ww2 war veterans in two seperate planes is beyond off topic and holds no value for the subject matter. You may disagree I'm sure, but as the thread creator I see no value in drawing a long conversation about two separate opinion pieces.

Cheers, Geronimo

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Because the discussion of the experiences of who heard what between two seperate ww2 war veterans in two seperate planes is beyond off topic and holds no value for the subject matter. You may disagree I'm sure, but as the thread creator I see no value in drawing a long conversation about two separate opinion pieces.

Dakpilot spent part of his career flying DC-4s. You?

Cheers, Luke

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Cheers, Geronimo

How is it beyond off topic? those are two conflicting statements that give us plenty to talk about and discuss/share our knowledge etc.

Having heard both of these aircraft in person i would say they sound extremely similar in terms of decibels.  Now if there was some sort of sound leakage into the cockpit of the spitfire and that the P-51 had better unintended "sound proofing" that could be the reason people say the spit is a much louder aircraft, I just have no idea if that is the case. If that is the case then it conflicts with what was mentioned earlier about the spitfires guns being crazy loud and the stang pilot saying you couldn't hear those 50's at all. 

Edited by -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor

Really hoping the upcoming 262 will have sounds similar to this. Just cannot beat the original scream. 

19 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Really hoping the upcoming 262 will have sounds similar to this. Just cannot beat the original scream. 

Keep in mind these are not actually Jumo engines...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

Yep. ;) 

Well, soon enough, non-beta testers will get to see and hear the 262 this weekend at FSE 2019 down in Florida. IMO they will be plenty happy with what's presented. :) 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Geronimo553 said:

Cheers, Geronimo

No... 

You made a statement. 

Mustang is a much louder aircraft than Spitfire. 

I genuinely ask a question.. Is there a reason seeing as they use the same engine. 

It may be off topic but it was your off topic. 

I thought I may have learned something interesting 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

As for Russian planes, I really do see the apparent contrast in sound quality between what we have in game and what exists in real life. I hope the devs will improve from what we currently have for sure!

49 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

Yes, I have noticed that. However it seems to be very difficult in finding audio of the original, original sound. If you care to share a video of the actual Jumo then by all means, please do!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

As for Russian planes, I really do see the apparent contrast in sound quality between what we have in game and what exists in real life. I hope the devs will improve from what we currently have for sure!

Yes, I have noticed that. However it seems to be very difficult in finding audio of the original, original sound. If you care to share a video of the actual Jumo then by all means, please do!

The Flying Heritage museum has a pair of restored and rebuilt Jumo engines from 1944/1945 that they're putting in their 262 for flying restoration. That's as close as it's going to get. 

10 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

The Flying Heritage museum has a pair of restored and rebuilt Jumo engines from 1944/1945 that they're putting in their 262 for flying restoration. That's as close as it's going to get. 

I believe there might be a video of a single Jumo engine test somewhere. I know I’ve seen such a video at one point.

45 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

As for Russian planes, I really do see the apparent contrast in sound quality between what we have in game and what exists in real life.

And for reference you bring an Allison powered Yak?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Yep, am sorry to OP but this thread is all over the place

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

I’m not very familiar with Russian planes but it does sound drastically different compared to in game. Care to share a more accurate sound video? Thanks

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

I’m not very familiar with Russian planes but it does sound drastically different compared to in game. Care to share a more accurate sound video? Thanks

Let's just say that the Allison sounds much, much more like a Merlin than it does as a Klimov. Klimovs are very, very rare, if you even ever had one run at high power output at all. The Klimov is much more like the Hispano Suiza engine. And that engine sounds very different from a Merlin, like DB diffrent. The Hispano Suiza made the Morane 406 sound as bad as it looks. And that's quiet an achivement.

Edit: I wouldn't know of any video featuring a Klimov run at high output ratings.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Let's just say that the Allison sounds much, much more like a Merlin than it does as a Klimov. Klimovs are very, very rare, if you even ever had one run at high power output at all. The Klimov is much more like the Hispano Suiza engine. And that engine sounds very different from a Merlin, like DB diffrent. The Hispano Suiza made the Morane 406 sound as bad as it looks. And that's quiet an achivement.

Edit: I wouldn't know of any video featuring a Klimov run at high output ratings.

Hmm how unfortunate, hopefully someone can find us a more accurate sound video. 

39 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

can find us a more accurate sound video

good luck finding a high quality recording of a klimov. 

49 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

The Hispano Suiza made the Morane 406 sound as bad as it looks. And that's quiet an achivement.

Is it even legal to have that opinion? ;)

5 hours ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

Is it even legal to have that opinion? ;)

Perhaps legal and deadly, then I picture the intro of magnum P.I. playing for some reason. lol

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

All the MiG- 3 and IL-2 rebuilts are using Allison V1710 engine but neither of these used Klimov M105 .I think that the M105 should sound similar to Hispano Suiza Y12 because M105 was based on M-100 which was license build Y12  .

Edited by bubo942
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:13 AM, E4GLEyE said:

I always wondered about the guns being drawn out by engine sound part... I read it somewhere that for example in the p51 at high angle of attack you could/can hear the guns "whistle" but how does one hear that if the much more violent sound of the 6 .50s going off at the same time cannot be heard? Just curious, and have to agree the russian planes sound a bit too tame for my liking and compared to videos.

Are you sure they are not writing about the gun ports whistling? The Corsair had famously loud whistling gun ports and a high angle of attack would make sense to cause whistling from air flow across the holes (like blowing over the top of a beverage bottle).

2 hours ago, mort said:

Are you sure they are not writing about the gun ports whistling? The Corsair had famously loud whistling gun ports and a high angle of attack would make sense to cause whistling from air flow across the holes (like blowing over the top of a beverage bottle).

I thought the noise from the corsair was whistling from the oil coolers, not gun barrels. 

@ATAG_Headshot apparently I was mistaken about the Corsair. Thanks for the correction.

Still, it seems plausible that's what they mean if it's only at high AoA.

20 hours ago, mort said:

Probably that yes! my english is not native :) so specific words might not come to mind.

Posted (edited)

Well the first videos for us to hear the 262's sounds are released! I like the sounds inside the cockpit and the external engine sounds in front and close to the rear of the aircraft. But the sounds coming out from behind the 262 as it passes by need some, refinement lets say. 

skip to 42 seconds in this video to hear it fly by the camera view. ^

For comparison of what I am talking about, here is the real thing flying by. I'm unsure if this is a true "jumo" turbojet though it would sound similar anyway. Notice the difference compared to the game version of the 262 flying by?

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Well the first videos for us to hear the 262's sounds are released! I like the sounds inside the cockpit and the external engine sounds in front and close to the rear of the aircraft. But the sounds coming out from behind the 262 as it passes by need some, refinement lets say. 

For comparison of what I am talking about, here is the real thing flying by. I'm unsure if this is a true "jumo" turbojet though it would sound similar anyway. Notice the difference compared to the game version of the 262 flying by?

Here you have real Jumo together with riedel starter at the begining

https://www.facebook.com/flyingheritage/videos/for-the-first-time-in-well-over-half-a-century-a-german-junkers-jumo-004-jet-eng/10152841379843666/

video above you posted is not real Jumo

Edited by Voidhunger

14 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

The one you hear flyby in the fake jumo has the sound echoing off the ground and stuff all around you, I know in il2 this probably is a factor but it would sound a lot different if you could hear it flyby at altitude. 

^

Also these recordings arent straight from the game, they have a lot of background noise so its passing through speakers and arriving at a recording mic no doubt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Field-Ops said:

^

Also these recordings aren't straight from the game, they have a lot of background noise so its passing through speakers and arriving at a recording mic no doubt. 

Exactly - it's always been this case with any game footage that's been recorded with a video camera at a convention like this. Geronimo isn't getting that at all.

13 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Exactly - it's always been this case with any game footage that's been recorded with a video camera at a convention like this. Geronimo isn't getting that at all.

You really need to use some quality sound equipment if you cannot hear the sounds of that video. That is very much a, you problem. Repeatedly rehashing your concern of my post across several threads in an attempt to make me appear ignorant will not change the fact that the twin turbojets do not have a correct roar from the thrust.  The issue I clearly specified and explained is still a problem no matter how much you wish to mentally ignore it.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

You really need to use some quality sound equipment if you cannot hear the sounds of that video. That is very much a, you problem.

I have a $600 set of Grado headphones and a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speaker system, so my audio setup is quite fine, thank you very much.

3 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Repeatedly rehashing your concern of my post across several threads in an attempt to make me appear ignorant will not change the fact that the twin turbojets do not have a correct roar from the thrust.

I keep bringing it up, because you don't seem to understand the difference between hearing the audio directly and hearing it as recorded through a microphone inside a video camera, all the while there are people talking in the background and other display booths all around you generating their own background noise. Trust me, I was there for the convention last year the full 2 days, and it was continually noisy. You_are_not_going to get a quality recording in that sort of environment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

I keep bringing it up, because

Did you even watch the video? There is some light talking in the background so enough of making excuses because you merely disagree. 

Also the merry duo spamming my replies to you with reactions and liking your replies is plain sad. Shows me the single digit age of people I am attempting to have informative discourse with over a topic. And these examples are only from today...
lIPazlU.png

ih10igW.png

gaL4Lib.png

• Haha 2

Did you even watch the video? There is some light talking in the background so enough of making excuses because you merely disagree. 

Also the merry duo spamming my replies to you with reactions and liking your replies is plain sad. Shows me the single digit age of people I am attempting to have informative discourse with over a topic. And these examples are only from today...
lIPazlU.png

ih10igW.png

gaL4Lib.png

Geronimo,

Just wait and see as there is no point arguing until we can all hear it game. 

I'm really hopeful that you are wrong, however only time will tell.

Regards

• Like 1