6./ZG26_Gielow

Ground School Me262

We already can smell the jet fuel around.  So we need to prepare for the 262 because jet engine operation has nothing to do with propeller ones. 

I really hope Devs can make a interesting manual start for the Jumo instead of a fully auto start. If I am not mistaken,  historically  every four 262s only three were able to start without flameouts or engine fires. So starting and managing the engines is half the fun when flying the 262. No FADEC  (full authority digital engine control) back on WW2 = No "E" key only starts please. 

Lets list videos, manuals and stuff with technical data, operational procedures and our doubts to help everyone on IL2 jet age. 

Jumo overview:

Riedel Starter:

IMG-20190530-WA0039.thumb.jpg.4d66b435e2c28498c0255e8d0074843b.jpg

Some operational anecdotes:

Screenshot_2019-05-30-18-42-23-1.png.ea93a55ac1f5b529780c171df22b9545.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Screenshot_2019-05-30-18-42-35-1.png.123c378bc57f77b85c8ef2a20cdbc2fd.png

Manuals:

Click "M" then Messerschmmitt, roll down to 262 manuals.

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archiv-englisch/dokumente/web/new site/frames2/Dokumente.htm

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

I think that the E=[Startup procedure ] is one of the defining characteristics of this sim, so i really don't think they'll change that, and honestly i dont want them to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I think that the E=[Startup procedure ] is one of the defining characteristics of this sim, so i really don't think they'll change that, and honestly i dont want them to.

Not completely.  The WWI birds take more than just pushing E.  You have to set fuel and air intake before you hit E. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

Not completely.  The WWI birds take more than just pushing E.  You have to set fuel and air intake before you hit E. 

Thats one of the things i hope makes its way into the WWII birds at some point. I find myself setting my levers just to see the system take over anyway. For some reason it also breaks the control axis sometimes.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

But a choice between the two would be nice. 

They wont get rid of the [E] at any point. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Nice one, Hagar !!!

I assume the original must be around somewhere, with a bit more detail rather than the translation synopsis.  It was interesting to see how gingerly the throttles were moved during the initial start up

• Upvote 1

Nice and informative video, Hagar. Note the fuel burning on the ground at the 06:45 mark. 

If we get manuel startup, I might have to remap some of the buttons on my throttle. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Loke

Manual startup will make me fly this thing. 

Min DCS I shape up and consecrate , plan better while doing the startup. 

No matter how much I love the procedure, I do not like to repeat it too many times on the same mission. I preserve the virtual life much more if I have to do more procedures that was a fact in reality

• Like 1

Thks Hagar , Awesome document , very informative ! .

Cherry on the cake those "from the past" real documents always shake something in me , they re kinda special to my heart , thanks a lot !

And Thks Gielow too for this informative vid on the jumo !

Edited by 13Nrv
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2019 at 9:08 AM, 13Nrv said:

Thks Hagar , Awesome document , very informative ! .

Cherry on the cake those "from the past" real documents always shake something in me , they re kinda special to my heart , thanks a lot !

And Thks Gielow too for this informative vid on the jumo !

You are welcome.

Lets hope they release the 262 this week 😎👉👉

On 5/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, HagarTheHorrible said:

Luftwaffe training film - Flying the Me 262

Just brush up your German first.

Ok so who else thought that at 11:30 in that video, our grizzled flight instructor was gonna have his student go ahead and take off while he clung to the side of the aeroplane, yelling instructions in the windstream like a tough old goat?

And when are we gonna have tasty fraulines on the flight line flagging us for takeoff like the girl at 20:40?   Devs are holding back on us... Or maybe that's what's holding up release...

On 5/31/2019 at 3:25 PM, HagarTheHorrible said:

I assume the original must be around somewhere, with a bit more detail rather than the translation synopsis.

The original film was in the possession of Franz Stigler after the war, but the accompanying original audio has been lost.  

On 6/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, LuseKofte said:

Manual startup will make me fly this thing. 

Min DCS I shape up and consecrate , plan better while doing the startup. 

No matter how much I love the procedure, I do not like to repeat it too many times on the same mission. I preserve the virtual life much more if I have to do more procedures that was a fact in reality

Full support for this.

Would love to have choice to start everything manually (either by using keybinds or clickable cockpit elements) or by pressing single 'E' button.

Manual startup brings more immersion, it requiers you to learn and in some way understand what is needed for the engine to actually start, making you feel like you could fly that machine yourself in real. Also what I like is that it slows down parts of the game, and I love that parts, when I am not practicing particular part of the game I almost always like to copy 100% of the actual flight, from armament/paint setup through engine startup, taxi, takeoff, cruise to the mission objective, actual mission (fighting), cruise back to the airport, landing and finally to taxi off the airstrip.

The 'E' button autostart is also a nice thing to have, example is when not having much time to play it could speed up the process, when I am repeating the same mission for way too many times, I might want to skip some parts to make it shorter.

TLDR: Supporting ME262 (and any other ;) ) manual startup.

Edited by TrueGrey

Well guys, manual startup procedure choice in BOX were discussed here many times... This is not gonna happen in BOX... Devs has two choices: A) manual startup and MUCH MUCH longer period for the creation of the single a/c (compare DCS with its official announced frequency one (!) WWII a/c per year) and B) automated startup and more a/c available for comparably  shorter priod of time. Obviously they chose B)

Edited by Tapi

I think this would be possible for some planes. 

A wish for a more comlex pilot environment and dm is not a new thing. 

I find wishing for it do no harm, at some point 

customers wishes might be the very thing making a sim brand able to renew itself. 

As a member in this community you shoul not shoot down any suggestion from other members. You might not agree with it, but rather contribute on how you think this sim would be better. 

I believe some community wishes are seen and 

might be taken into account on a crossroad 

• Upvote 1

I bought this game to fly planes. Not impress myself with engine start procedures.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

@LuseKofte: sorry, I did not want to sound harsh nor shoot down anyone's suggestions. I would like to have manual startup choice too but unfortunately, it looks very unrealistic considering the whole concept of this sim. I would be pleased if the devs decide to change their strategy but I do not see it very probable. That is what I intended to say...

If I learnt something in Il-2 since the first day I could fly years ago, is that they try to improve every aspect they can.

Even if we don't expect it, some improvements might come and in different phases. When this game was released, E was an instant "fire up" the engine, then we got the auto startup doing all procedures. 

Remember that a new fuel systems has been announced for BOBP with fueltanks (and possibily other expansions) so I really believe that something better could be around the corner in terms of realism and not breaking the concept we already have.

The core game is always improved. Maybe at a pace some don't want but it's improving nevertheless. 

Edited by LF_Gallahad
  • Upvote 2

I agree. The game is certainly improving and announced fuel management could bring us something new... Speculations (positive ones as well as negative ones) do not have much value - let's wait and we will see what future brings to this sim...