Blitzen

PIMAX 5K literally just arrived..now what?

It arrived from Amazon 5 minutes ago all right, but the Base Station probably won't be here for a couple of days or so....Is there any reason why I can't see how well it works now without the Base Station or should I just l wait & leave it in the box?At this early point are there any settings in set up or in Steam I should be aware of?

Oh yes- of course it has no headphones that  I can see ...any non earbud recommendations that are reasonably priced?

Waiting semi-patiently...for your advice....

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

• Haha 1

What does Bert and Erney have to say about it? 🌝

They're out to lunch....

30 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Is there any reason why I can't see how well it works now without the Base Station

You can try it without base station. Uncheck "Turn on lighthouse tracking" in settings/HMD in PiTool, choose "seated" in your room setup in SteamVR, and you should be good to go with 3dof.

5K+ will work without a base station but using one greatly improves the experience.

I ordered the PIMAX base stations in October last year and  it is rumored it may be later this year before they're available.  

Pimax even stated they shipped the base stations along with my headset but they did not. 

If you plan to use the PIMAX for seated flight simming then one HTC Vive Lighthouse base station mounted about 2 meters away and looking down at approx. 

30/45 degrees will be all you need, they are available on Ebay or Amazon.  The base station uses ordinary house power and does not connect to your computer.

• Like 1

No joy in install:

5K is hooked up as per instructions & power cable connected.PI tool is working but I get a disconnected message in PITool.Video card Driver : Version does not match ( I have a GTX 1080) and it also says "HDIMGP is disconnected"? I need some help if I want to keep this product.

Posted (edited)

1. Yes, power cord is required, I would return to eBay seller and buy another or order from Amazon

2. Download latest  video card driver  from Nvidea website. 

3. Make sure headset is connected to video card and a USB 3 port.  

4. Email Pimax support if have additional trouble.   They respond fast.

Edited by fiddlinjim
Spelling

Posted (edited)

Good advice - I just downloaded newest Nvidia update- maybe  that will make a difference?

Yay its working & by hit & miss I have GB's working too! However two problems the view thru lenses shows two overlapping images of the objects &/or screens ( like I'm cross-eyed ) & my FPS has dropped to about 20.On the good side the objects appear very clear & SDE's are reduced .I'd say about the same quality as RiftS.Again this is without a working base Station.Ideas?

Going away for a week & hopefully I can straighten this out when i come back...maybe have the Me-262 by then too????

Edited by Blitzen

7 hours ago, Blitzen said:

However two problems the view thru lenses shows two overlapping images of the objects &/or screens ( like I'm cross-eyed ) & my FPS has dropped to about 20

For the cross-eye you have to check on the "Compatible Parallel projections" in HMD settings of Pitool.

For the fps drop, you need to decrease your SS in SteamVR to 20-60% while keeping "Render Quality" at 1.0 in Pitool.

If you want more fps, then you can put the freq to 72Hz instead of 90Hz. I am quite OK at 72 Hz.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

For the cross-eye you have to check on the "Compatible Parallel projections" in HMD settings of Pitool.

For the fps drop, you need to decrease your SS in SteamVR to 20-60% while keeping "Render Quality" at 1.0 in Pitool.

If you want more fps, then you can put the freq to 72Hz instead of 90Hz. I am quite OK at 72 Hz.

Thanks for the tips- will do when I return.One other thing...so far....if i try starting the game thru steam & get the full "Steam VR menu" with game start 7 no apparent way of getting rid of it.It makes viewing or playing the game impossible.With Rift you could get rid of this effect with the hand controllers, but not sure how to disable this feature now...

It is not necessary to start Steam VR from Pitool or with steam website, just click on the IL2 icon and steam VR will start automatically.   

Just now, fiddlinjim said:

It is not necessary to start Steam VR from Pitool or with steam website, just click on the IL2 icon and steam VR will start automatically.   

Yes I did finally figure that out - do my Steam VR settings still work ?

1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Yes I did finally figure that out - do my Steam VR settings still work ?

Yes, keep it simple and clik on Parallel Projections to stop being crosseyed.

Suggest you try different settings in Pitool and/or  Steam VR (ONLY one at a time) to determine what is best for your rig.

This is an enthusiast headset. I am glad you're asking questions and looking for how to properly set it up instead of just ranting and sending it back.

There are way too many dumb people out there that do not check in advance what they are purchasing. You're not one of those and I am waiting for your impressions as well.

P.S. If you experience distortions at the sides of the FOVs, there are distortion profiles to download you can use, afaik. The PimaxVR Forums can help a lot there

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

Yes, keep it simple and clik on Parallel Projections to stop being crosseyed.

Suggest you try different settings in Pitool and/or  Steam VR (ONLY one at a time) to determine what is best for your rig.

I’ve got Oculus settings in Steam now but will adjust as advised   Do you have any suggestions where to start with Pimax tool settings? By the time I get back next week I’ll be adding a Base Station as well⛑

5 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

This is an enthusiast headset. I am glad you're asking questions and looking for how to properly set it up instead of just ranting and sending it back.

There are way too many dumb people out there that do not check in advance what they are purchasing. You're not one of those and I am waiting for your impressions as well.

P.S. If you experience distortions at the sides of the FOVs, there are distortion profiles to download you can use, afaik. The PimaxVR Forums can help a lot there

I really want to give Pimax a fair shake and compare its imaging to Rift S and Reverb (if it’s ever released) Before taking this trip for a week I had two weeks with Rift and only about ten minutes with Pimax.  As you can see I’m still working out the kinks but it does look good so far image wise.  I only wish I could say the same about the head straps which seems a it cheap compared to Rift.  Maybe someday they’ll have a more substantial replacement.  

HTC's "Deluxe Audio Strap" is compatible with some adapters to buy along. It's somewhere in the Pimax Forums or Pimax Reddit.

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks,

My Pimax 5k plus was delivered yesterday, together with a separately sourced HTC Vive lighthouse. 

Both items arrived 4 days after ordering (I am in the UK).  I had it all working nicely for a few VR sorties in the Spitfire (brilliant) before the day was out and thought I had it sorted. 

However, today is a different story as now I have a problem in that when I move my body in any direction the aircraft I am sitting in moves with me.  For example, if I lean forward the aircraft moves forward like I am part of it and I can't get any nearer to the instrument panel.  If I lean left or right the whole aircraft moves with me.  This is very strange.  Can anyone help me out with a solution to this problem?  Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  I have parallel projection compatibility turned on in PiTool, just the same as I did yesterday, so I don't think it is anything to do with that.

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Means your Lighthouse isn't working / recognized.

I don't have a Pimax, so just an idea: I've read you must turn the Pimax off when you turn off the PC. Then turn the Pimax on again only after the PC has started fully. Make sure the LH are in place and powered. Use PiTool software to start the games, not SteamVR.

Good luck

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Hi Folks,

My Pimax 5k plus was delivered yesterday, together with a separately sourced HTC Vive lighthouse. 

Both items arrived 4 days after ordering (I am in the UK).  I had it all working nicely for a few VR sorties in the Spitfire (brilliant) before the day was out and thought I had it sorted. 

However, today is a different story as now I have a problem in that when I move my body in any direction the aircraft I am sitting in moves with me.  For example, if I lean forward the aircraft moves forward like I am part of it and I can't get any nearer to the instrument panel.  If I lean left or right the whole aircraft moves with me.  This is very strange.  Can anyone help me out with a solution to this problem?  Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  I have parallel projection compatibility turned on in PiTool, just the same as I did yesterday, so I don't think it is anything to do with that.

Whenever the aircraft moves with you body movements it means that the lighthouse is not being recognized by the HMD.

I encountered a similiar  problem and also a gray/no image screen, I corrected by:

1.  Moving the Pimax USB connector to another port

2. Putting a dark curtain over a window next to the lighthouse, several users have reported problems if there is a glare on the lighthouse or HMD.

3. The lighthouse works best if it is approx 2 +/-  meters form the HMD and looking down from a centered position and at an angle of 30/45 degrees

I always turn off my Pimax HMD prior to putting the PC to sleep, and I  never disconnect the lighthouse sensor,  FYI the lighthouse should be on channel A.

Posted (edited)

If your lighthouse base startion stops tracking, simply spin the Pimax headset 180 degrees left and right on the horizontal, works every time for me

Edited by WSBnomadgf

Posted (edited)

Many thanks to all of your replies to my problem.  Very much appreciated. 

A question to chiliwili69.  You say "For the fps drop, you need to decrease your SS in SteamVR to 20-60%"

Is this for SS under the 'video' tab (global) or the 'applications' tab?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am still tying to get my head around all the tech stuff as this is my first set of VR goggles.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Steam SS is adjusted in SteamVR settings in the Video portion. You'll see under Application Resolution a box named "Enable Custom Resolution".

Clicking that box will provide you with a slider to adjust SS and also shows the pixel count at that setting.

Edited by Gordon200

On 6/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, 56RAF_Talisman said:

A question to chiliwili69.  You say "For the fps drop, you need to decrease your SS in SteamVR to 20-60%"

Is this for SS under the 'video' tab (global) or the 'applications' tab?

I see you entered in the VR world through literally the big (and wide) door!

My only game is IL-2, so I use the "Video" tab which affect to everything you run with SteamVR. So I don´t touch the applications tab.

It is important to use just one (Video vs- App), but the net effect is the same which is supersample more (or less) the image to load your GPU around 90%.

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 5:17 AM, fiddlinjim said:

A lot further along now ,with Base Station up & working ( I think)ihave adjusted the slider in Pitool to 1.0 & have gone down to 60 in Steam VR setting(s) for SS.If i turn off both & hit the Il- Icon, everything ill kick incorrectly ..right?I turn off Steam but keep Steam VR? Bit confused.

In Oculus Rift there was a quick easy way to calibrate pupil distance.Is there a way to do this with Pimax? I know where the dial is & how it works but am not sure when it is correct for me...?

Getting there slowly but surely!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted (edited)

Oculus Pupil Distance screen with the crosshairs was false, as it would not split and move the picture with it. It was one central picture, you'd only dial in the lenses - which led to false values shown and a lot of confusion.

You can buy an app to measure your IPD, if you got an iPhone there's a free app available, or go to an optrician, then dial it in with the wheel. I like that the wheel on the Pimax needs many more revolutions per mm in comparison to the Oculus/WMR headsets. Much more accurate.

If you have IL-2 installed in Steam, you must start SteamVR from PiTool. Then you Start IL-2 within Steam.

If you don't do that, it gives you no option to the VR version of IL-2, but will only start the 2D Desktop Version. I just checked.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

A lot further along now ,with Base Station up & working ( I think)ihave adjusted the slider in Pitool to 1.0 & have gone down to 60 in Steam VR setting(s) for SS.If i turn off both & hit the Il- Icon, everything ill kick incorrectly ..right?I turn off Steam but keep Steam VR? Bit confused.

In Oculus Rift there was a quick easy way to calibrate pupil distance.Is there a way to do this with Pimax? I know where the dial is & how it works but am not sure when it is correct for me...?

Getting there slowly but surely!

What   CPU, GPU and ram Gb. does your rig have?

I have an i7-7700, GTX 1080Ti and 32 GB and set my Pitool Render at 1.25 and Custom Video setting in Stearm VR at 1.25% and have beautifully clear cockpit and scenery views.

My FPS runs about 45 and gives very smooth flying and was the same FPS for my Oculus CV1.    For long distance flights I can setup 4x speed acceleration without any problems.

I set my Pitool pupil distance at -4 and have the physical adjustment on the 5K+ set in close but the IPD is a setup you will have to adjust to own satisfaction, it took me a number of tries to find the best combination.

Once setup to your satisfaction, click on the IL2 icon and everything starts, you do not have to start Steam or Steam VR from Pitool, however I prefer to start Pitool before starting IL2 to check that the Lighthouse sensor and the HMD are syncing together.

Just read Fenris comments and I did not purchase any portion of my IL2 through Steam, so  I do not have to start Steam or Steam VR through Pitool, but I suggest using the Steam VR Beta.

Edited by fiddlinjim
left out info

Does this help?

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Posted (edited)

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-official-1-0-1-103-beta-test-release-for-brainwarp-1-0/14256/537?u=wiinii

Blitzen... is that.... a laptop?

Anyway, with that CPU you'll have a hard time to ever get 90FPS. I'm sorry to tell you. IL-2's requirement is at around 4.8 to 4.9GHz. For any headset in VR, which one does not matter. Your current one does 3.6GHz and boosts to 4.2GHz.☹️

Oculus Rift's IPD setup was reporting falsely. So is this. It can help dialing in better, but it's not correct afaik.

I simply dialed in so that my eyes would feel relaxed. When I felt comfortable, I noted the value down and didn't change it. Listen to you body, man 😄🏆

Ok ...after one day of installing & off & on play, I am pretty sold esp with the increased FoV-great to see a bit more over my shoulder!

till playing with various settings due to slightly lowered FPS If I can just get it back into the mid 40s from current top 30's i'll be happy.I even got the headstrap to fit my head better by using velcro straps to hold the power cable around the outside strap of the head strap.Its a solution that works until a better thig comes along...

Also still trying to figure out correct pupil distance - it really does impact clarity & perhaps the still present SDE.

I have noticed degraded effects ; Sun Flare is so bright that it is blinding over whole sections of sky...waaaay worse than non VR or Oculus and this may be related ; flares have become large white or colored dots not at all like they used to be & not at all convincing.Not sure how to tackle this ..Contrast in Pimax perhaps? Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

You probably have increased Contrast in PiTool and run HDR as well. Turn HDR off or reduce the contrast, one of the two.

The performance issues will be a hard nut to crack (read, impossible) at your CPU's boost speed of 4.2GHz, which is your bottleneck. It didn't run any quicker before by the way.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You probably have increased Contrast in PiTool and run HDR as well. Turn HDR off or reduce the contrast, one of the two.

The performance issues will be a hard nut to crack (read, impossible) at your CPU's boost speed of 4.2GHz, which is your bottleneck. It didn't run any quicker before by the way.

I followed your great Pitool settings exactly including contrast.Last night I tried to increase contrast settings and it didn’t make much difference . Haven’t looked at HDR in Graphic settings but will do so.There used to be reommended settings in another posting here and generally I’ve followed those, but i’m Wondering if they apply equally to the Pimax as well? This morning I’ll try decrease contrast setting & see if it changes anything...Stay tuned.

Edited by Blitzen

You can also use brightness to counterbalance a higher contrast. That's the beauty of Pimax, you can actually change these things yourself. 😀

Its a bit like Photoshop in its way then too,huh?

halloween_frankenstein_0.gif

Well I had given you the settings to use in conjunction with the startup.cfg settings as well 😀 If you only change one part but disregard the rest, then of course the result will be something different (as reported by you, when everything was glaring brightly). 😄

Now that I have converted from TIR to VR with the Pimax 5k plus, is it correct to keep in-game "Camera Settings" the same as I was using for TIR?

For example I am still using:

Default view = Pan camera mode

Smoothness = 100

Pan camera mode settings in order as:

40%

100%

40%

100%

100%

100%

Head shake = On

Cinematic = Off

Limit VR view = Off, otherwise I get cockpit and airframe distortions when I move my head.  This is a great sadness for me, because I am/was an on-line MP fanatic, but the best MP servers seem to have limit VR view = on server-side, so I can't play them without terrible distortions :(

Any advice re the best in-game camera settings would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to respond.

Happy landings,

Talisman

The camera settings have no effect on VR.

Only Limit VR view = Off  has, but only if unlocked by the server. Most servers keep Limit VR view = On, which overwrites your own settings :)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Well I had given you the settings to use in conjunction with the startup.cfg settings as well 😀 If you only change one part but disregard the rest, then of course the result will be something different (as reported by you, when everything was glaring brightly). 😄

The settings all work wonderfully well, but if I try to do “Steam Start” for some reason ( I’m still trying to nail clarity inside & outside the plane..) it seems to high jack Pitool settings sending them back into default.No biggee-I just have to check them from time to time.

As mentioned above I still have not worked out a setting that gives me a better definition particularly on instrument panel ( instrument faces & numbers are blurry until I lean very close to them,)and exterior aircraft whose pixel pattern breaks up.Also one of the more obvious giveaways is the break up if line work like aerials or bracing wires on WW-1 aircraft. Part of this is getting the headset to sit properly on my face which helps a bit, part of it may be trying to get proper pupil distance dialed in ( I’m not sure about how much this factors into clarity however, I'll try this today as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/wiki/faq#wiki_how_do_i_set_the_ipd_correctly_in_the_pimax_hmd.3F) & part of it may be some issue of settings and FPS. Then again it might be the “sweet spot “ change as the headset slips down my nose? I played with settings yesterday and saw my FPS fall to about 17 and soar to 50 but no matter what  I did I didn’t see much difference in clarity.That’s why I tried a Steam Start with reduced SS settings ( down from 160 settings with Oculus to recommended settings all the way down to between 20 and 50. This did seem to improve FPS but again no improvement in clarity. I did not play with both Steam & Pitool on at the same time& usually but not always started with both of them off using the Il-2 desktop icon only & getting into VR game play with that alone.I do wonder if I should use default data/startup setting or do any changes there to help.I don’t think those have been mentioned in regards to Pimax5K or maybe I just missed them???

I feel like I’m one step away from having everything line up with this headset...but clarity is something I’m working on and still not getting the hang of it.Rift S did deliver on clarity easily, but I do love Pimax’s FoV! Yesterday I glanced backyards durian A-20 takeoff & could see the main gear retract- I could never do that with Oculus ( or probably not with the delayed Reverb either...)

This just in: Disregard all of the above unless it does someone some good.. Somehow with pushing all the right buttons , doing a files verification, worrying & prayer, everything seems to have slid into place!.Very ,if not perfect ,good clarity.reasonable FPS,smooth play.I'm not sure if it was the added eye pupil distance or correct combination of other things,but I am a happy camper!!! Now if I could just weld this into place & NEVER have to do this again! 

Thanks again SCG_Ferris_ Wolf ! You are the MAN!

Edited by Blitzen
Additional text
  • Like 1