mattswe

Dive bombing in il2?

Hi guys! 

I'm quite new to this sim, steadily learning. Lately I've been flying the IL2, trying to learn some dive bombing. But it doesn't go very well. I have no consistency at all hitting the targets. And don't really seem to improve. Do you guys have any tips that I could make use of? Would be highly appreciated. 

/Matt

5 seconds delay on the fuse and drop the bomb so close to the target that there is no way you can miss, then die from aa fire around the target. 😅

2 minutes ago, Sandmarken said:

then die from aa fire around the target. 😅

Yeah, that part works just fine for me. 😀

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, mattswe said:

Hi guys! 

I'm quite new to this sim, steadily learning. Lately I've been flying the IL2, trying to learn some dive bombing. But it doesn't go very well. I have no consistency at all hitting the targets. And don't really seem to improve. Do you guys have any tips that I could make use of? Would be highly appreciated. 

/Matt

Practice. It's fun.

Hunt trains in the QMB. No AAA on the trains most of the time. Big fun slow targets with nice fireworks when hit. Start low, go high, play with delays on the fuses. All of a sudden you'll get the feel and be getting at least close most of the time. You can have 6 bombs on the Il2 so you get to make several passes and see what works.

I spend more time in the IL2 than all other planes combined. Just love it.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, mattswe said:

Hi guys! 

/Matt

It´s all in the setup. Set yourself up for a good position and then make a decently steep dive towards your target and drop with a bit of altitude left. I usually aim for about 1000m (3000ft) for my drop altitude. Here´s a few videos on the topic. They all explain it pretty well. With a bit of practice you´re going to be nailing your target every time.

Edited by Psyrion
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@mattswe If you are having problems with bombing from higher altitude set the bomb timer to at least 5 seconds (if it's shorter the bomb might not explode if it haven't spent enough time in the air), also what I am usually doing is trying to approach at 30-45 angle, and then drop the bomb after the target disappears under my PBP-1 sight as you have to remember the bomb falls at bit different angle than your plane's angle of attack.

This might be a cheap advice but changing the bomb mode from single bomb to pairs will help, same as taking heavier bombs.

Edited by TrueGrey

2 hours ago, TrueGrey said:

@mattswe If you are having problems with bombing from higher altitude set the bomb timer to at least 5 seconds (if it's shorter the bomb might not explode if it haven't spent enough time in the air)

What do you mean, does the bomb have to be in the air a certain amount of time before it explodes? I thought setting the bomb to 5s meant that it would explode 5s after it had hit the target. But you mean this is a countdown clock which might stop if it hit the ground before reaching 0?

Record your bombing runs. You then can have a look in the replay it'll give you an idea what's happening then you can adjust your aiming point 

3 hours ago, mattswe said:

What do you mean, does the bomb have to be in the air a certain amount of time before it explodes? I thought setting the bomb to 5s meant that it would explode 5s after it had hit the target. But you mean this is a countdown clock which might stop if it hit the ground before reaching 0?

No, I mean that if you set the bomb to explode on contact or less than 5 seconds it requires certain time in the air to 'arm' itself, if it will hit the ground before that, it will not explode, however setting timer to 5 seconds or longer makes it always explode after chosen time, thus making entire process much easier, except for bombing moving targets. 

Best way to see what I mean is to set the bomb timer to contact, record the game, drop one bomb from high altitude then second one seconds before the ground when steep diving.

6 hours ago, TrueGrey said:

@mattswe If you are having problems with bombing from higher altitude set the bomb timer to at least 5 seconds (if it's shorter the bomb might not explode if it haven't spent enough time in the air)

Posted (edited)

@mattswe I think you pasted the same post ; )

Edited by TrueGrey

It's a good idea to record the attack for later review. I'll try that. 

I would love an instant replay button with the camera on the target. 

2 minutes ago, TrueGrey said:

@mattswe I think you pasted the same post ; )

Uhm, yah this is really confusing. 😀

@mattswe When you are watching the replay pressing F7 (not sure though) glues the camera to the bomb, should help you with seeing what is happening to the bomb ; )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TrueGrey said:

@mattswe When you are watching the replay pressing F7 (not sure though) glues the camera to the bomb, should help you with seeing what is happening to the bomb ; )

👍

Posted (edited)

there are 2 hints:

- drop the bombs after the target disappears under the nose

- lead the target. Put the cross hairs past the target and keep them there all the way until the bomb release.

the second hint I discovered much later after numerous unsuccessful bombings using only  hint #1. 😄   There are variations to the leading distance, which is dependant on your approach speed. That one you gotta feel it out, essentially with much higher speed (talking >100kphs more than usual) drop the bombs before the target disappears under the nose.

It's a pretty crude and unscientific method but your chances for hitting the target will be ~75%.

Edited by bombdetere
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

dive bombing in any plane is the same tbh, flip her over and point your nose at the floor, ideally you want your target to be right under your crosshair as you're heading straight down. release your bomb and then pull up (if you can)

if you can't pull up the extra fuel in your tanks should help make a larger explosion on the target, consider a witty one liner before you hit.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Turn on unlimited ammo and gun/bomb assist, load qmb, have fun bombing trees from various angles.

When it comes to a true dive bomb the trick is to fly directly over the target at about 10,000ft, wing over into a vertical dive, deploy aibrakes and drop at about 1,500-3,000ft.

Some of the ac also have horizon lines on the side of the cockpit glass/window to judge your pitch if angle bombing.

Posted (edited)

For getting a consistant bomb drop whether tree level bombing or dive bombing as the target slips under the gun sight I release and achieve satisfactory accuracy in all aircraft.  When I had trouble with accuracy the sc1000 was pretty forgiving lol. Surviving exfil can be acheived by slipping under tree level so aa cant hit you or do curves to get out of range.  Dont climb to admire your work and get rid of your ordanance on the 1st pass because surviving a second is highly unlikely.  If your smart set up your bomb drop so you are pointed toward friendly lines as you flee.  I find shallow dive bombing angles (under 60 degrees) to be safer and only slightly less accurate and also helps you hold your speed better to run away.  

Edited by Joeasyrida

Divebombing in a IL-2? 

Dropping bombs from a IL 2 is several techniques used, but not divebombing. 

In a IL 2 shallow dive is easy, when prop just past the target drop it.

Level flight there are marks for PTAB and speed need to be right. 

Go qmb and practice, you get soon enough the touch of it. When escaping AA over target never climb, stay hugged to the trees in a shallow turn. 

For Divebombing I find 90 degree dive most difficult, then you need to be accurate in all axes. I rather have it at 60 degrees and drop the bombs when target go under the prop

Posted (edited)

Why divebomb with IL-2 in the first place? It isn't built for it and isn't particularly good at it either. Instead go in with a shallow dive, deliver some eggs to the enemy below (don't forget the 5 second fuse or bombs won't go off), and get out as low as possible, using terrain, trees and even buildings to shield you from AAA. 700+ kg of armor should suffice to keep you alive for several passes at normal levels of AAA also! And don't forget to get rid of ROFS-132 rockets as soon as possible, they cause a lot of drag and turn your IL-2 into a flying pig. One direct hit with it however ensures a medium tank kill.

Also, with careful aiming it's possible to use the 100 kg or even 50 kg bombs for medium or heavy (Tiger!) tank killing. :)

Edited by CrazyDuck

Posted (edited)

Like CrazyDuck said, forget literal dive bombing in the IL2. Here's Requiem's gift to us all for bombing the professional way, using the tools of the trade instead of usin guess work:

Edited by FlyingNutcase

2 hours ago, 1/SG2_Hummels said:

This video nearly caused me to invade Poland, well done!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FlyingNutcase said:

Like CrazyDuck said, forget literal dive bombing in the IL2. Here's Requiem's gift to us all for bombing the professional way, using the tools of the trade instead of usin guess work:

This is sweet! Can't wait to get home and start practicing. 

But could someone please explain how the bomb fuse works? What exactly does it mean to set the fuse to 5 sec? And what consequences? 

Edited by mattswe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rekt said:

This video nearly caused me to invade Poland, well done!

I recently started flying the JU-87 after reading a thread on here on climbing and management and I have to say i'm really rather enjoying it.
yes she's slow, and yes she climbs like my grandmother, but she's damned accurate when dive bombing and it's rather fun to strafe things with those chunky 3.7cm cannons

• Like 1

You should have "Sea Dragons" in your Campaigns as part of Battle of Kuban.

Very good way to become familiar with the IL2 and the Kuban map. Give it a go.

1 hour ago, Gordon200 said:

You should have "Sea Dragons" in your Campaigns as part of Battle of Kuban.

Very good way to become familiar with the IL2 and the Kuban map. Give it a go.

I'm almost through it already. Lots of fun. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:20 PM, 1/SG2_Hummels said:

We see here all the stukas in column flying formation.

In the Mission Editor the Command formation allows only for  the V Formation and Echelon right or left. No column unfortunately.

It would be nice to tell us how did you make your planes fly in column. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

We see here all the stukas in column flying formation.

In the Mission Editor the Command formation allows only for  the V Formation and Echelon right or left. No column unfortunately.

It would be nice to tell us how did you make your planes fly in column. 

It's online, there are live pilots. We have a large group (about 15 people)

Edited by 1/SG2_Hummels

Yep! I should have thought about that.

Congratulation, very nice formation flying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1/SG2_Hummels said:

It's online, there are live pilots. We have a large group (about 15 people)

Well great team coordinated flying none the less. Loved your video. 

• Like 1