BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part VII

I have a doubt about: "    Airfield services also become more sociable "..     Does that include the german ones?  If yes that would be completely unrealistic :P

I kind of liked the old "Sausage Fritz" manning the German tower in old IL2. Personalities helps immersion a lot!

Would it be an idea to have 3 or 4 sets of tower voices, so that different airfields have different styles? It would increase the game size, but I don't think it would hit the performance much. I would not expect the game to be in the more CPU-intense phase when I have time to chat with the tower?

At least .. I hope that the base pilot is just skinnable and you can add on the uniforms accordingly..

+1

They are fur lined leggings,  actually, folded down and worn as knee length boots...

The pilot is very good and well researched as it seems...

I would prefer the fur collar and coveralls a bit bulkier, according to photographs...no big deal.

Will we see summer versions a well?

Is this the same Elephant that made the great pilot skins for IL2 back in the day?

Thanks for great vids and great updates: very interesting and exciting...

And these Russian planes definitely rock, i just love how they look when in flight :good:

Yes that's me, Bearcat.

I too hope for some user accessibility on skinning the pilots,

although with the complex 3d it's going to be kind of restrictive by default...

(you can't so easily nor effectively hack another outfit than the given default)

comparing to the "good old IL-2".

Thanks for subtitles, and for the update

I'm sure they will add some body movements of the pilot, if not in release then later. 

I like the way the devs answered to the kick starter, they want to be responsible about their dealings with the community.  And the lightheartedness is good also. 

Horrido, good on the lady pilot, for a second I was confused and remembered the VVS did have women pilots. 

Great update, thanks. The pilot is very well done. Would be cool if he would be animated as well. Not to forget, I'd like to see his arms and legs in the cockpit and prefer this over an empty cockpit. Best solution to make this optional so everyone can choose what they like best.

MAC

P.S.: Horrido, nice work on the woman pilot!

Edited by MACADEMIC

I really like what I'm seeing and hearing here.

This is the way to keep the faith and promote the product.

Thank You   :biggrin: 

Great update, thanks. The pilot is very well done. Would be cool if he would be animated as well. Not to forget, I'd like to see his arms and legs in the cockpit and prefer this over an empty cockpit. Best solution to make this optional so everyone can choose what they like best.

MAC

P.S.: Horrido, nice work on the woman pilot!

I believe they already said several times that that will not be the case.. but you know things can always change.

;)

il2_rus_pilot.jpg

Fixed this for you..

il2ruspilot.png

:)

(pretty rough.. but a 2 min job with a liquify tool in PS)

Edited by MadTommy
  • Upvote 1

If this sim had a female pilot in it it would probably be a first yes? In light of the history that might be a good thing.

Well, if this was a console based   air combat game there would be already calls for special  physics to simmulate  high g force effects over the boobs :/  The lack of  requests as such show how mature a community we are... or that we are all so old that the brain part  that work on that type of  idea  has already failed due to age.

Even tough there is no black magic to convert Java to C++, TD AI code is indeed good, hope you get inspired by it. 

Ahh, let me shortly think about......you are not a programmer, right? Like it was already in the CloD-forum, always such statements. I don't want to be impolite, but in most of the cases it's just not true, what you say. Converted code is mostly bullsh.... because it is all but not optimized. If you think I'm wrong demonstrate any showcases, where complex code was converted successfully! If you are not able to, please stop posting such statements - thanks

Edited by StG2mvr1892

It is doable even automatically as long as it involves almost only primitive types. The abstraction penalty of a straight  function chain using only  primitive types is low enough that the compiler  can   neuter any loss on the performance aspect of the code.  

Manual conversion of code although do not imply a direct translation,  being more a sort of  paraphrase of the original. Most code that is well architectured and is deprived of the now so popular overbloated frameworks that cover 1 trillion features that you do not need can be translated by a good developer without  any  huge  losses of performance, specially from JAVA into C++ ( the other  way might be trickier since there are things you can do in C++ that you cannot in JAVA) . Unfortunately.. nowadays  very seldom you  have well architectured and designed code..  since peopel prefer to make overbloated code to follow the newest fashion of available libraries or frameworks.

+ 1 on bear cat's suggestion, but I wouldn't be surprised if its implemented for the next 'theatrical' release

I think we're more concerned about FM, DM, ballistics, and little physics details like leading edge slats, tail hooks, than pogo sticks and g forces modeling on anatomy. But I got a laugh out that one

Good that some here understand programming . . . I've known some gifted programmers take a look at someone else's code in a different language, and watch the execution. Then after some time and playing around, reproduce the effect (with their interpretation), sometimes for the better, but sometimes not as they personalized it to make the effect something different (if the original intent was a duplicate or copy). 

The devs did say AI is important and they are working on it. My opinion is they'll have something workable (basic like take off and land, formation flying without losing half the squadron, fly w/out hitting a mountain or trees or team mates, maybe have some offensive / defensive capacity) for initial release, and something better and awesome for sequential releases. 

Good afternoon.

The next part of the diaries is delayed, but it will be published soon. Delay is caused by the extremely busy schedule this week.

We will wait, we are professionals when it comes to that, well at least a major part of us :)

Edited by royraiden

Good afternoon.

The next part of the diaries is delayed, but it will be published soon. Delay is caused by the extremely busy schedule this week.

It's not like I'm going to complain about you guys being eagerly at work on the game!

Edited by Friendly_flyer

Delay is caused by the extremely busy schedule this week.

Which hopefully means extremely big progress ;)

Thanks for the info!

not sure, they just had a major disaster hit over there, so there probably more worried about that.

I wouldn't call broken windows and some injuries a major disaster.

Furbs, if the Meteroite had exploded over Britain it would still be a big deal on the BBC, and not just another news story to be forgotten a day and a half later.

Over 1000 people were injured, many seriously, and the amount of broken window glass is estimated at 50 square acres.

This isn't some little thing.

Still it was 2000 km away from Moscow.

Furbs, if the Meteroite had exploded over Britain it would still be a big deal on the BBC, and not just another news story to be forgotten a day and a half later.

Over 1000 people were injured, many seriously, and the amount of broken window glass is estimated at 50 square acres.

This isn't some little thing.

Im not saying its not a big deal, but to call it a major disaster is a little dramatic. The recent bush fires, floods and tsunamis i would call disasters.

Its never nice when people get hurt, but so far nobody has died, nobody has been made homeless, and no environmental affects unless you count the hole in the ice.

Agreed its not a little thing, i never said it was, its just pretty far from a major disaster, and shouldnt affect in anyway the development, as Foobar says it was 2000km away.

Edited by Furbs
  • Upvote 1

So your saying? That a 10,000 ton Metorite about 55ft or 17m exploding at the wieght of blast estimate of about 500 kilotons isn't a major disaster? Well I bet ya they went on full defcon2 when that happen.

Edited by Mastiff

Well I bet ya they went on full defcon2 when that happen.

Being a bit dramatic, are we? Yes, it rattled people's nerves, but it's hardly something to be called a disaster.

Very cool interview, thanks for adding subtitles.

These are exactly the kind of things a sim needs to capture: the feel of the aircraft. It was interesting how he mentioned the fact that the cockpit in the Il-2 was warm. Easily overlooked in a numbers comparison but quite important to a real pilot, and could easily affect things like reaction time and spotting (imagine chilled fingers and a stiff neck).

Please don't give up on the regular rhythm of the updates. This has worked so well before and is the reason to have kept me keen and interested in this forum. Thanks.

MAC

• Upvote 1