Rekt

Which Plane(s) Do You Just NOT LIKE?

Posted (edited)

Bf 109 & Spitfire should be  similar FM planes with equally performance and characteristics that are not well modelled in BOX  .However for example like  In cliffs of Dover are well FM modelled .

Bf 109 are underperform FM plane , has not stall , well all axis planes has not stall , Bf 109 should turn better with flaps than the Spitfire and better stall , dive much more better overall in ground level and stall better with flaps , (neither). For players do not understand the energy plane in combat. Turns O .

Spitfire is a fantasy FM , plane with over performing fantastic capabilities , each characteristics are seen in in You tube every day , dive better than a FW 190 at 700 km/h at ground level and at theses speed  better maneuvers than the Fw190 and has a fantasy speed retention while would have made of graphene like weights only 300 kilograms while nowadays no plane exists with such composite materials . With the Spitfire You can turn 180° Without any speed lost , that in the WW2 was impossible, actually in 21st Century for the first time there are few planes only of fifth or sixth generation can do that 180° turn without any speed lost , the computerized turn , with always afterburners, one is the Eurofighter Thyphoon , but in WW2 was not possible 1st planes have not afterburners 2nd has not a complexing computer system synchronized controls with flaps and slats to do no enter the plane in barrenness or totally lost the control meanwhile the Spitfire do that kind of 180° Maneuvers without any speed lost .

Lavochkin 5 is the best realistically FM  modelled  plane expected for the roll rate that is the fastest one of all planes an should not be .

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Confused 7

33 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Pe2. Flying it online makes you feel like a NPC, for some reason.

I really like the Pe-2.  Although the hyper effectiveness of the gunners spoils things for me a little bit online as I often feel like I have an unrealistic advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I really like the Pe-2.  Although the hyper effectiveness of the gunners spoils things for me a little bit online as I often feel like I have an unrealistic advantage. 

my P2 gunner online usually detects an enemy plane when its within 100meters from me... I love hearing "one engaging" followed by the loud thumps of mine shots exploding my Peshka into pieces :(

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Yes, the gunners are mainly why. They're even more effective if you fly straight and level which makes you wonder what you bring to the party as a pilot. 

It's a wonderfully modelled plane though.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

Player gunners kick the teeth in of AI ones. I find the AI often dies before they get a hit in against players making proper approaches

10 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I totally forgot about the Macchi.   It is so irrelevant to the game, I can’t imagine how it got chosen over other types.  

It's a wonderfully modelled little aircraft but woefully out of place anywhere except Stalingrad for a week or two. I don't know what other fighter you could've given the axis with Moscow, though?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Player gunners kick the teeth in of AI ones. I find the AI often dies before they get a hit in against players making proper approaches

It's a wonderfully modelled little aircraft but woefully out of place anywhere except Stalingrad for a week or two. I don't know what other fighter you could've given the axis with Moscow, though?

Has to be at least one 109 variant that wasn't covered :)

A bit more serious: BoS gave us the F4, G2, Ju-87 D3 and He-111 H6.  The Macchi came along as a collector plane with BoM: I would say to heck with a third fighter and give us the Ju87 B.  Probably other interesting planes could have been included if you were willing to not get locked into "there must be three fighters".  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

BoS gave us the F4, G2, Ju-87 D3 and He-111 H6.  The Macchi came along as a collector plane with BoM: I would say to heck with a third fighter and give us the Ju87 B. 

I would perhaps have gone for an Hs-123 or 126. Or even a Storch, which would have fitted in with every title to come.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I would perhaps have gone for an Hs-123 or 126. Or even a Storch, which would have fitted in with every title to come.  

To those three, yes, yes and yes. Plus Pat's Ju87B.

And if we seem to be drifting off-topic, I'm sure all four of those would be someone's least favourite! :biggrin:

Storch for TC and future Battle of the Bulge. lol

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Has to be at least one 109 variant that wasn't covered :)

A bit more serious: BoS gave us the F4, G2, Ju-87 D3 and He-111 H6.  The Macchi came along as a collector plane with BoM: I would say to heck with a third fighter and give us the Ju87 B.  Probably other interesting planes could have been included if you were willing to not get locked into "there must be three fighters".  

While I agree with you and would love a Hs-123 or something else silly, I think collector planes are generally more famous planes that will sell well standalone, and fighters are just simply more popular, hence why we got the Fw-190A-3 in Stalingrad, despite it being totally inappropriate

P47, P40 and P39.

Shame as well, used to really enjoy flying the P40 and to a lesser extent the P39 in il2 1946.

Never liked the P47 in any sim though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Perhaps the IAR-80/81 would have been a better choice? Plenty of fans are crying out for it.

The only plane I haven't enjoyed was the LA5.  Transferred in a career from Yak-1 to LA5 and felt like a downgrade, slow and not as maneuverable and wobbly, transferred back the next day.  I've liked yaks since Warbirds 2.7 though so maybe I have some bias there.  Something about how smoothly they fly and the centralized guns, makes them feel more like fighter jets than prop brawlers.

23 hours ago, Porkins said:

while I adore the effect of a 37 mm round sheering off the tail of a bomber with one blast, the reality is I usually can't hit anything in it. 

Haha same here, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, Red_Cat said:

Spad 13. Hated it in RoF and still hate it now. Something I can't quite put my finger on but just about everything else is preferable.

Lol.  Yep, agree completely.  

"Yes, it's fast but....what exactly do all these dials mean Capain Nemo?"

For WW2 its the MiG.  Nice visibility and guns but if I'm not swerving wildly on takeoff,  I'm bouncing recklessly on landing and in between I'm falling out of the sky trying to shake a '109 from my tail.

9 minutes ago, CAFulcrum said:

The only plane I haven't enjoyed was the LA5.  Transferred in a career from Yak-1 to LA5 and felt like a downgrade, slow and not as maneuverable and wobbly, transferred back the next day.  I've liked yaks since Warbirds 2.7 though so maybe I have some bias there.  Something about how smoothly they fly and the centralized guns, makes them feel more like fighter jets than prop brawlers.

I find that my shooting in the La-5 is poor...maybe the lower rate of fire from the synchronized nose guns (compared to firing through the spinner) might have something to do with it?

1 hour ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Storch for TC and future Battle of the Bulge. lol

A storch/L4 paired release would be awesome.

Gives germans and americans their own light aircraft for spotting, which should come in with FC, and at the least matches the po2 in airplane class.

Both were field modified with anti-tank RPGs (bazooka/panzerfaust) for tank hunting which would be really fun imo.

Everyone wants the storch for multiple reasons and cubs are so ubiquitous it would probably be popular as well, plus the data would be easy to acquire for the latter.

17 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Saves weight, improves visibility, and no increase of drag. A win win and I do it every time I fly the 202. 😁😂

It does increase drag, the plane gets 14 km/h slower without canopy.

39 minutes ago, Rekt said:

I find that my shooting in the La-5 is poor...maybe the lower rate of fire from the synchronized nose guns (compared to firing through the spinner) might have something to do with it?

Often people have trouble with the guns being higher mounted than they´re used to from other aircraft.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

It does increase drag, the plane gets 14 km/h slower without canopy.

Just ran a test at on a straight at full combat power and only 10 km/h was lost. So still well worth the trade off for massive increase in visibility. Though given how the window frame is larger than the rear fuselage section I'm surprised there is even that much loss. Good info to know nonetheless, never noticed a loss in speed without the canopy. The mechanic crews will continue to be pleased... lol

1 hour ago, =621=Samikatz said:

....hence why we got the Fw-190A-3 in Stalingrad, despite it being totally inappropriate

There is appropriate map for it in game = Velikiye Luki. I./JG51 area of operations.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CAFulcrum said:

La-5 is faster at all altitudes and climbs better than all the Yaks, though the higher you go the less margin there is. B

Main thing with the La-5 is setting it up for max speed. The rad settings are kinda counterintuitive at first. 

For rads: inlet radiators should be 100% open (almost no drag from this, we're talking nigh on zero speed loss), and outlet radiators should be closed or nearly closed 99% of the time, they're usually not needed to stay cool. Oil rad can be left 100% open for an extremely minimal speed penalty of like 5 km/h, but you can close it most of the way too if your speed is high.

Max RPM for max speed. Keep mixture at 100%, this is the auto setting and reducing it is only necessary for fuel economy, which you'll want for cruising if you need to fly for more than half an hour. La-5 has really short legs. 

You have 5 minutes of boost on the vanilla La-5, and unless you're turnfighting even on boost you rarely overheat.

The La-5 LOVES to go fast, its more stable at high speeds, it stays cool there too. 

Main Pros: High level speed, fantastic roll rate. Flat scissors for evading enemies on your six, and use your speed to catch the Lufties who are used to being able to outrun anything Russian. 2x20mm is great armament, especially nose mounted. 

Main Cons: Poor turn rate compared to contemporary 109s and yaks, about on par with 190A-3. Climb rate is OK but not better than 109s. Poor performance at any altitude above say 3000m or so. Poor visibility for deflection shooting due to huge engine.

All this being said, I am much more effective in a Yak than in an La-5. Gunnery in the La-5 is challenging for me if I fly anything else for a long time and come back to it. Once you get used to the different mounting of the guns you start getting hits. Because I fly the Yak and I-16 so much I find myself falling into the turning trap with this thing, which it is DEFINITELY not a turn fighter. EDIT: This is much more of a liability in SP than in multiplayer because the AI prefers turnfighting, just keep your speed up, use yoyos and don't be afraid to run away!

And obviously this is not meant to say that you can't dislike the plane, everything is a matter of taste. But I hated it in old Il-2 but with some tips I found it to be a lot of fun in this sim, so maybe give it another shot!

Anyway most of this is from my  watching Sheriff's fantastic videos on how to get the most out of it. If you follow these tips you may find you like it better. If you watch him fly it you can see the potential.

Edited by RedKestrel
Added some Career-specific advice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Psyrion said:

Often people have trouble with the guns being higher mounted than they´re used to from other aircraft.

That sounds plausible too! Either way I definitely find them disappointing :(

3 minutes ago, Rekt said:

That sounds plausible too! Either way I definitely find them disappointing :(

Once you get used to them its not so bad. Problem is if you go a long time flying other things, you gotta get dialed back in again it seems...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brano said:

There is appropriate map for it in game = Velikiye Luki. I./JG51 area of operations.

The Focke came before the map did, though. I'm quite sure the map was a community thing?

Posted (edited)

Life's too short to waste time flying planes I don't like.

As targets, however, I hate the LA-5 FN and LAGGs, because they are tough as tanks, much more so than the P-47. And I hate the Spit9 because it's FM is a complete joke IMO. Good thing with those is that killing them is extremely rewarding. It feels like doing a noble cause clearing the sky of cheaters.

Edited by JG27_PapaFly
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

it's FM is a complete joke IMO.

Good thing opinions can be wrong ey? :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Oh, this question is too easy.

I NOT LIKE the Sopwith Dolphin.

Why?

1. It is ugly.  It's repugnant.

2.  It lacks subtlety.

3.  It lacks mythos.

regards,

Airman T. E. Shaw

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2019 at 6:19 AM, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

😂

It's still ridiculious and leads nowhere. 

I disagree. It is interesting to read about the pilots preferences, and their aversions, and why they feel that way. 

Edited by SShrike
Sp
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, TEShaw said:

Why?

2.  It lacks subtlety.

3.  It lacks mythos.

regards,

Airman T. E. Shaw

Heresy! Leave the poor little thing alone.

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2019 at 12:37 AM, TEShaw said:

Why?

2.  It lacks subtlety.

3.  It lacks mythos.

regards,

Airman T. E. Shaw

You don't need subtlety and mythos when you have six machine guns firing in several directions :hunter:

On 5/30/2019 at 2:31 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Is that back?  I remember the gunners being fairly effective early on,  but the last time I flew it (which if probably at least 18 months ago) they didn't seem to be able to hit anything. Perhaps I was just having a period of bad luck with it. To begin with, the PE2 was pretty much the only thing I could fly. 

As for the topic, I struggle to move from one place to another, (at least online). I generally have to stick to one thing, or I end up forgetting what the plane is it isn't capable of. Offline, though, I think it's probably the 109s I have most trouble with. Any of them. 

3 hours ago, SpocksOddSocks said:

Is that back?  I remember the gunners being fairly effective early on,  but the last time I flew it (which if probably at least 18 months ago) they didn't seem to be able to hit anything. Perhaps I was just having a period of bad luck with it. To begin with, the PE2 was pretty much the only thing I could fly. 

As for the topic, I struggle to move from one place to another, (at least online). I generally have to stick to one thing, or I end up forgetting what the plane is it isn't capable of. Offline, though, I think it's probably the 109s I have most trouble with. Any of them. 

No, you don't get it. They are only effective when they shoot at you. When you need them to shoot at enemies attacking they are equally as ineffective as any other gunners.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, Feathered_IV said:

I really(!) want to like the Pe-2. The loadouts are great and the plane is so cool and well done. But the floaty balloon feeling I get with that plane on my MS FFB2 takes a lot of the fun out of it. If I could get the stick to tighten up and have some good resistance it would be one of my favorite planes.

As it is I only fly it occasionally just to make myself sad at how little I'm able to enjoy it. :cray:

On 5/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, =621=Samikatz said:

Hs-123 for example, it flew until the end of the war and was the main CAS fighter of LW in 1941.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, =27=Davesteu said:

Unpopular opinion:

Spitfire - Neither its flying characteristics nor its looks appeal to me. The Mk. VIII, late IX, and XVI look somewhat better, but the early Merlins and early Griffons put me off.

Same here! Always liked the looks of Hurricanes & Thunderbolts but disliked Spits and Mustangs. Even as a kid I had only one or two models of each of those two, and would (more or less) walk right by them at the Planes of Fame Museum every time I went.

And have never much cared for them in sims, either, particularly the Spits (well, maybe in Aces over Europe or CFS 1). Too sensitive/twitchy/turn-ey for my taste, although they're certainly effective! Played a bit of Spit V in my Kuban career & it almost felt like I was cheating.

I'm probably just biased because of the looks, to be honest. Much too ladylike for my tastes 

( now I feel like some English simmer is gonna find me on the street & give me a lashing with his umbrella for having badmouthed the Spit :) )