Sign in to follow this  
AuburnAlumni

AMD keynote: Some serious power coming from AMD CPUs, GPUs (Look to be big improvements in VR)

I'm a life long intel guy but that was an impressive keynote.  Impressive performance increases across the board.  Should come in handy in VR applications.

Edited by AuburnAlumni
  • Like 2

One possible limit is the max clock speed of these new offerings. In the range of 3.8-4.2. A lot of research on this forum suggests il2 is cpu bound and benefits from as fast a clock speed as possible so for VR il2 intel offerings might still hold he edge. When all other factors (price!) are excluded. 

Will be interested to to see how well these overclock tho!!

Edited by GiantCorn
Spelling

5 hours ago, GiantCorn said:

A lot of research on this forum suggests il2 is cpu bound and benefits from as fast a clock speed as possible so for VR il2 intel offerings might still hold he edge.

As far as it looks now, AMD is really putting on real pressure:

AMD has a few benchmarks to show off how it expects its new CPUs to perform. The company claims that its flagship 3900X will offer similar performance to Intel’s i9-9920X despite costing around half as much ($499 compared to $1,189). Meanwhile, AMD’s benchmarks suggest that the $329 3700X beats Intel’s $374 i7-9700K in both single and multi-threaded real-time rendering performance.

More here:

AMD states that in single thread performance, the 3900X beats the 9920X by +14%, and also wins in multi-threaded performance by 6%, all while having a lower TDP (165W vs 105W).

But I'm sure AMD activated all Spectre (etc.) patches. for the benchmark. Security reasons, you know.

Edited by ZachariasX

Let's hope these turn out to be true this time. We really need real competition to Intel.

• Upvote 2

I would wait for the first testings and OC results.  

The 3700X and the 9700k are compared on stock speed while we all know it is the overclock (Intels >5Ghz  OC) that does make the difference. I do not know if the 3700X is a good overclocker the old generation was very limited on that aspect. 

• Upvote 2

Both Intel and AMD are engaging in publicity shenanigans these days, I'll wait until actual independent benchmarks showing single thread performance.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking at doing a mini-itx build in the next few months, hopefully AMD pulls off some serious single thread performance with their chips. Current leaks suggest the R5 3600 = i7-8700 in single thread performance but the open question is at what clock speeds? Given the current Ryzen offerings, I doubt there will be any overclocking headroom above what the top end chips come with out of the box, so 4.6 GHz is likely the max. But all the current leaks are showing Ryzen having higher IPC than an 8700k, so the two may balance out. It will be interesting to see if an R5 3600 at 4.6 GHz is faster than an i7 at 5.0 GHz in both single and multi-thread. I'm really hoping it is, AMD CPU's run so much cooler than the Intel space heaters.

18 hours ago, BeastyBaiter said:

I'm looking at doing a mini-itx build in the next few months, hopefully AMD pulls off some serious single thread performance with their chips. Current leaks suggest the R5 3600 = i7-8700 in single thread performance but the open question is at what clock speeds? Given the current Ryzen offerings, I doubt there will be any overclocking headroom above what the top end chips come with out of the box, so 4.6 GHz is likely the max. But all the current leaks are showing Ryzen having higher IPC than an 8700k, so the two may balance out. It will be interesting to see if an R5 3600 at 4.6 GHz is faster than an i7 at 5.0 GHz in both single and multi-thread. I'm really hoping it is, AMD CPU's run so much cooler than the Intel space heaters.

Only keep in your mind, nearly all of the new X570 do need an fan to keep its chipset cool. Thats means extra power and sound. 

I do not know if the AMD still have RAM compatibility difficulties as with the introduction of the Ryzen, but I would sure check if the RAM of your choice is being listed on the mobo website. In this case maybe the ASUS X570 OptimemIII series could be a good choice. 

I suspect the chipset fan has something to do with PCI-E 4.0. Hopefully they are fairly quiet, but we'll have to wait for some reviews to learn about that. RAM compatibility is supposedly a major part of the 3000 series, the official rated speed is 3200, so one would think the cheapest, crappiest 3200 kit you can get will in fact run at 3200 (provided it isn't defective). I did have a Ryzen 5 1600x a couple years ago, it topped out at 2933 MHz with a 3200 MHz kit. So I am familiar with the previous short comings.