Sign in to follow this  
CDRSEABEE

PWCG 6.0 Features

Is there a thread that explains the features of version 6? I cant find it.

Thanks

Not really.  Right now the features of 6.0 are that I hope it works as well for SP as 5.3 :)  ... and it does have cold start.

Background: PWCG 6.0 is primarily a coop change.  When it is done players will be able to run coop campaigns with many players in any squadron on any side.  That is a really, really big change. 

SP has always been the heart of PWCG.  With 6.0 coop, which had previously been somewhat of an afterthought, will now be a first class citizen along with SP.  SP remains central to PWCG - 6.0 must not break SP.  With that in mind I released the alpha to let single players test it to verify that single player was not broken.  Not many new SP features right now because that is not the core intent of the project.

Cold start changes did not collide with coop changes I incorporated them into 6.0.

In the next alpha release, if a player dies in SP, they will be able to create a new pilot for any side in any squadron instead of being limited to replacing their dead pilot in the current squadron.

When 6.0 releases for real (getting there) coop players will be able to play online campaigns with their friends fly with each other, against each other, in the same squadron, in different squadrons, on different sides, flying different roles, etc.  Further, players will not be limited to a single persona in the campaign.  They can have a fighter pilot, an attack pilot, and a bomber pilot simultaneously, and choose which one they want to fly before the mission is created.

Which leads me to an interesting thought .... there is no reason that cannot be an option for single player as well.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

. there is no reason that cannot be an option for single player as well.

That could be also great Patrick. Changing sides and experiencing both sides.

Thank you as always for your hard work and incredible tool. :)

Thanks for the explanation. 

One question about the Coop. If I fly in a squadron do I have to fly at the same time as my squadron mates or not?

Edited by CDRSEABEE

Thanks for the info Pat, one question...

In the Pilot selection window of a mission, there is a "mirror" checkbox option which I didn't see in v5 (unless I missed it).  What is that, and how does it work?

20 hours ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

One question about the Coop. If I fly in a squadron do I have to fly at the same time as my squadron mates or not?

In 6.0: Yes and no.  Yes, if you want to fly you will have to fly the mission as scheduled by the campaign host.  No, you are not required to be in every mission.  There will be a registration system that will allow pilots to say "I'm in".  There will also be the opportunity for the host to add or remove players without them registering.  Only players that opt into the mission or are added by the hist will be included in the mission.    

This hopefully will allow maximum flexibility.  People can join and fly as their schedule allows.  However, coop missions are scheduled events and not continuously running servers like MP.

One risk that I do not know how to completely mitigate: if you are added to a mission and do not show then your pilot will be an AI plane.  If that plane is shot down and the pilot is killed then your pilot is dead even though you were not flying.  This can be mitigated by the host.  Generating a mission takes seconds, so the mission can be generated at the last second.  If players are not available at the scheduled mission time then they can be removed from the mission by the host prior to generating the mission.  It's just something to be aware of.

1 hour ago, Lezren said:

Thanks for the info Pat, one question...

In the Pilot selection window of a mission, there is a "mirror" checkbox option which I didn't see in v5 (unless I missed it).  What is that, and how does it work?

Some planes have an optional rear view mirror.  Selecting this adds the mirror to the plane.  It's been there but only some planes have it as an option.

4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Some planes have an optional rear view mirror.  Selecting this adds the mirror to the plane.  It's been there but only some planes have it as an option.

Lol, okay that is a way more simple explanation than I expected!

For some reason I was thinking it was a mirror of your skin/pattern or Mods.  My brain didn't go to the literal mirror.

Online coops is something i used to fly all the time in the old Il2 so i am really looking forward to this, great work! Will there be Something like Hyperlobby, a place to set up missions and getting pilots for the planes? 

1 hour ago, Froddi said:

Online coops is something i used to fly all the time in the old Il2 so i am really looking forward to this, great work! Will there be Something like Hyperlobby, a place to set up missions and getting pilots for the planes? 

Sort of ... maybe :) .  ANd thanks for the idea :) 

Coop is a closed ecosystem.  The server and PWCG will run on the host's machine.  At some point the host has to invite the players. This will be as simple as giving the players a URL.  

Once invited:

1. Player registers as a user with the host.

2. Host accepts player.

3. Player requests a pilot.

4. Host accepts pilot.

If you are online chatting with the host this process can be completed in two minutes.  Not quite hyperlobby because I don't feel the need to recreate a messenger app - they already exists in many forms.

Now the player can play.

1. The host schedules a mission.

2. The host generates a mission.

3. As part of coop mission creation the host chooses which players will fly.

4. PWCG generates a mission that includes the chosen players.

5. The host starts a mission.

6. Players show up and take their aircraft.

7. Mission is flown.

8. AAR submitted and campaign advances.

9. Repeat until the war is over or the host declares the campaign to be over.

Key concepts:

1. This is all happening on the hosts machine, so the host will control who can participate and who can fly.

2. This is not a public MP environment.  It is a closed environment run by the host.

3. Participants are not limited to flying with each other or even on the same side.  PWCG will put them in the mission but they can be in different flights, on different sides, carrying out different missions.  If they meet then they do.  Depending on the number of flights and human participants there may be AI flights as well.

Not sure if there are D&D players out there but that is probably the best analogy.  The host is the DM (except he also gets to play) and controls all.  The host can make it as open or closed as he want.  He can post his PWCG URL in open chat and invite the whole world, or he can selectively invite who he wants.

The hyperlobby idea is a good one.  I was not going there but I think you changed my mind.   It will not offer full chat but it will be a way to say "I'm here".  Once the mission is generated it is fixed, so mission generation has to happen at the last  moment.  

Thank you for the extensive reply, im glad i could give you a tip:) i think maybe such a way would be good for guys like me who are not in a squad or have a squadsize of friends who fly, to have chance to join coops. I can understand you dont want a full HL copy with chat and all but i think it would be great to have a place to ´meet´ other players who are looking for coop mission or campaign.

whatever solution you decide for im sure it will be great and im happy coops are coming back in the Il2 series.

3 minutes ago, Froddi said:

Thank you for the extensive reply, im glad i could give you a tip:) i think maybe such a way would be good for guys like me who are not in a squad or have a squadsize of friends who fly, to have chance to join coops. I can understand you dont want a full HL copy with chat and all but i think it would be great to have a place to ´meet´ other players who are looking for coop mission or campaign.

whatever solution you decide for im sure it will be great and im happy coops are coming back in the Il2 series.

I want to make sure I did not give the wrong impression: any lobby for PWCG would be for a particular host only.  There is no capability to scan anything to find hosts, since the establishment of a host is up to individuals.

PWCG 6.0 will be very flexible in terms of how a campaign can be flown.   It can just be a few guys getting together a couple of times a week to fly. It can support a squadron war (although putting that many planes in the air scares me).  I was counting on this board to help organize players.  A host would simply have to invite the people that he wanted to join.  Similarly, players who were interested in joining a campaign could advertise that fact.

When you join a campaign it will play out like a single player PWCG campaign.  Just that you will be flying with other people.  As a player you will be able to have multiple personas in a campaign.  You will be able to switch between them as you like.  If you choose to do this your other personas will sit out the mission.  This really comes in handy if you have a primary persona and that persona gets wounded - you can still participate with a different persona while the first one heals up.  

At some point I need to put all of this together in a more coherent commentary on what PWCG 6 coop offers :) .  

• Like 4