Sign in to follow this  
Panthera_Tigris

Sun brightness and bloom

The sun is almost painful in this game in VR. Its not just too bright, but it also has a bloom effect which is painful to the eyes in VR. Worse still, if there are clouds then the sun literally flashes on and off in your face every 2 seconds. Now I understand the argument for "realism" but if its something that is causing physical pain, there should be a way to turn it off. The sun is way better in DCS.  

I tried the 3Dmigoto mod but it doesn't fix this. Any workarounds?

2 hours ago, cranium1 said:

The sun is almost painful in this game in VR. Its not just too bright, but it also has a bloom effect which is painful to the eyes in VR. Worse still, if there are clouds then the sun literally flashes on and off in your face every 2 seconds. Now I understand the argument for "realism" but if its something that is causing physical pain, there should be a way to turn it off. The sun is way better in DCS.  

I tried the 3Dmigoto mod but it doesn't fix this. Any workarounds?

I'm not 100% sure, but when you activate SSAO/HDR in the graphic settings of the game itself, then bloom will also be active, but you cannot modify it in the

very same graphic settings panel of the game. So my suggestion would be:

Open the "startup.cfg" file, which you can find in the game's main directory, with the notepad. Inspect the file and find the section [KEY Graphics ]. It

should look like this:

Capture.png.a0ae1b553d6bcc0d3974df262dc20aa7.png

Now, this line should have the value 0, if not change this. Bloom effect should be less disturbing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Are you running SSAO? It switches on a bloom effect, you can disable but have to edit the settings file directly. See Fenris’ thread on VR settings.

Posted (edited)

I already have all of them set to 0 in settings. Its still too much. Just see the screenshots below. Notice how the bloom is completely gone in the last image when I move my head just 1 cm away from the sun. That is not how it should work. The effect is grossly over done. 

20190519232312_1.jpg

20190526135729_1.jpg

20190526135842_1.jpg

This is the one when I look away from the sun by just 1 cm!! The differnce is night and day. 

20190526135840_1.jpg

Gamma is at the lowest value 0.8 and I have to turn on the cockpit lights to see the gauges. 

Edited by cranium1

1 hour ago, cranium1 said:

I already have all of them set to 0 in settings. Its still too much. Just see the screenshots below. Notice how the bloom is completely gone in the last image when I move my head just 1 cm away from the sun. That is not how it should work. The effect is grossly over done. 

20190519232312_1.jpg

20190526135729_1.jpg

20190526135842_1.jpg

This is the one when I look away from the sun by just 1 cm!! The differnce is night and day. 

20190526135840_1.jpg

Gamma is at the lowest value 0.8 and I have to turn on the cockpit lights to see the gauges. 

Well, I do not fly in VR, but the sun glares like in your picture when I'm flying with my TIR. I don't think it is overdone. Just look at the sun in RL, you will have almost the same

effect. It's not perfect, but it's really well done.

Try to modify the gamma value directly in your startup.cfg file and set it to 0.7 or even 0.6. I run the game with gamma set to 0.6 at the moment, but as I already mentioned

I do not fly in VR. And avoid to use SSOA and HDR completely - performance-wise and because of the bloom effect.

17 minutes ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Well, I do not fly in VR, but the sun glares like in your picture when I'm flying with my TIR. I don't think it is overdone. Just look at the sun in RL, you will have almost the same

I knew this argument would be brought up which is why I said in my very first comment: 

"Now I understand the argument for "realism" but if its something that is causing physical pain, there should be a way to turn it off. The sun is way better in DCS.  "

Also, things are VERY different in VR. A monitor is only 27-34 inches long diagonally and 2-3 feet away from your face. A VR lens fills your entire view and the screen is only an inch away from your eyes. The experience can't be compared. 

I will try reducing the gamma further but I do think the bloom is way overdone for VR. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cranium1 said:

I knew this argument would be brought up which is why I said in my very first comment: 

"Now I understand the argument for "realism" but if its something that is causing physical pain, there should be a way to turn it off. The sun is way better in DCS.  "

Also, things are VERY different in VR. A monitor is only 27-34 inches long diagonally and 2-3 feet away from your face. A VR lens fills your entire view and the screen is only an inch away from your eyes. The experience can't be compared. 

I will try reducing the gamma further but I do think the bloom is way overdone for VR. 

I tried reducing gamma below 0.8 but VR won't start at all after that.. maybe it's on my machine only, but just fyi..

49 minutes ago, bombdetere said:

I tried reducing gamma below 0.8 but VR won't start at all after that.. maybe it's on my machine only, but just fyi..

You are right. Same for me. 

ES UN INFIERNO¡¡ que se enteren los desarrolladores, mirar al sol es cegarte. yo tampoco he encontrado la manera de disminuir los rayos del sol.

Stop staring at it. If people could shut the sun off easily everyone would to have an advantage in multiplayer.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Stop staring at it. If people could shut the sun off easily everyone would to have an advantage in multiplayer.

Why would anyone STARE at the sun? Please read and understand before replying. No one is asking to "shut off" the sun. What are you on about? Seriously, at least try and read before making a useless snarky comment. Let me quote my original comment for your benefit again:

"Its not just too bright, but it also has a bloom effect which is painful to the eyes in VR. Worse still, if there are clouds then the sun literally flashes on and off in your face every 2 seconds"

Edited by cranium1

8 minutes ago, cranium1 said:

Why would anyone STARE at the sun? Please read and understand before replying. No one is asking to turn off the sun. Seriously, at least try and read before making a useless snarky comment. Let me quote my original comment for your benefit again:

"Its not just too bright, but it also has a bloom effect which is painful to the eyes in VR. Worse still, if there are clouds then the sun literally flashes on and off in your face every 2 seconds"

Right you're asking for a way to tone down the sun, if people could adjust this they'd be at an advantage online. The answer is basically no there's nothing you can do. Squint your eyes or play on a monitor. 

Just now, JgonRedcorn said:

Right you're asking for a way to tone down the sun, if people could adjust this they'd be at an advantage online. The answer is basically no there's nothing you can do. Squint your eyes or play on a monitor. 

OR maybe they could fix it so that it doesn't flash on and off in your face because that doesn't happen in real life? And if they fix it for everyone, it wont give an advantage to anyone. 

I think most of us have been in real life planes and the sun is nowhere as bad as at is in the game in VR. The thing is its not a constant bloom even, it flickers if there are clouds which should not be happening. 

Its a problem for some of us. Maybe not for you because you had some good advice to counter it like this gem 😄

4 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Squint your eyes

It depends on the VR headset you're using. Some of the older OLED headsets can be terrifying. In the Samsung Odyssey the sun is such a killer I never see anyone coming from around it.

A problem is though, that the sun is too big. It looks like it was a quarter close to earth than it actually is.

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It depends on the VR headset you're using. Some of the older OLED headsets can be terrifying. In the Samsung Odyssey the sun is such a killer I never see anyone coming from around it.

A problem is though, that the sun is too big. It looks like it was a quarter close to earth than it actually is.

Indeed. Going to upgrade to an LCD as soon as the Reverb or the Index hits the market so lets see how those do. As bad as the sun's brightness is though, my MAIN issue is that it flickers on and off every time it gets partially blocked by a poorly rendered cloud or something. That just makes it so much worse. Instead of smooth marginal transitions, it just turns on and off right in your face!

• Upvote 1