so I finally broke down and got one. Have Index on pre-order, currently running VivePro.

Previous setup:

- 8700k 5.0ghz

- 3200 cas14 ram

- 1080ti, oc'ed to 2050mhz..

I had smooth fps pretty much anywhere in MP with SteamVR motion smoothing turned on. However, the settings I was using were Balanced pre-set. The SteamVR resolution I ran was 1700x1900 per eye (roughly, can't remember exact numbers). I was in 20+ ppl furballs and it was definitely playable.

Got EVGA base 2080ti ($999 on evga site). Got a water cooler block for it, another $150. Swapped the 1080ti for the new puppy.

Well.. the performance is pretty noticeable. It's hard to believe, I'm still testing. But.. now I can run High preset and the SteamVR resolution is ~2100x2200 per eye or smth like that. Smooth experience like before in the same size furballs, etc..

so, is it worth ~$1150? :)  I say hell yea. The game looks sooo much better.

I also have a 2080ti. But I have a i7 6700K. Using the Rift-S

I can't get it to run without ASW. When I look at the performance seem that CPU is a huge bottleneck. The CPU is taking 13 to 18 ms to render each frame. The GPU is taking less than 1 ms. 

Are you able to get above 80 fps? 

Also, why is this game so CPU intenstive. What is it doing? 

It's preparing most of the scene on one thread. For both eyes. Two times.

That's why the Index users will scream blood and guts once they receive their Index. They will not be able to use their 120Hz. Because no matter how powerful the GPU is, the CPU has to provide the scene first. And the frames Hz are tied to that.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

On 6/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's preparing most of the scene on one thread. For both eyes. Two times.

That's why the Index users will scream blood and guts once they receive their Index. They will not be able to use their 120Hz. Because no matter how powerful the GPU is, the CPU has to provide the scene first. And the frames Hz are tied to that.

I'm curious why more threads aren't being employed by IL-2 BoX in support of VR?  Is parallel projection part of the problem? 

A little background: I also have the Valve Index HMD on order and have observed the same results you refer to and I'm wondering whether a GPU upgrade might help get me to 120 Hz. I currently have an OG Vive and 1080ti Founders Ed. that I had been operating with an I7 4930K (OC to 4.25 GHz) and 16GB of 2666 MHz RAM. With that rig on 'high' settings I usually observed about 35 fps on the ground and then could reach the high 80's fps at higher altitudes. I recently upgraded my CPU to an i9 9900K (currently stock speed), 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM @ CAS14, and moved to a Samsung EVO 970 M.2 SSD and now, still using the same 1080ti GPU, I'm pretty much pegged ~90 fps, no matter where I am (ground/air). Things can drop to the 70's in multiplayer sometimes, but i'm generally pleased with that upgrade. I don't want to throw $$ at an unachievable outcome with a new GPU. Clearly the thing to do is wait longer and see what others are experiencing. 

Edited by 1./KG4_EKat

36 minutes ago, 1./KG4_EKat said:

I'm curious why more threads aren't being employed by IL-2 BoX in support of VR?  Is parallel projection part of the problem? 

A little background: I also have the Valve Index HMD on order and have observed the same results you refer to and I'm wondering whether a GPU upgrade might help get me to 120 Hz. I currently have an OG Vive and 1080ti Founders Ed. that I had been operating with an I7 4930K (OC to 4.25 GHz) and 16GB of 2666 MHz RAM. With that rig on 'high' settings I usually observed about 35 fps on the ground and then could reach the high 80's fps at higher altitudes. I recently upgraded my CPU to an i9 9900K (currently stock speed), 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM @ CAS14, and moved to a Samsung EVO 970 M.2 SSD and now, still using the same 1080ti GPU, I'm pretty much pegged ~90 fps, no matter where I am (ground/air). Things can drop to the 70's in multiplayer sometimes, but i'm generally pleased with that upgrade. I don't want to throw $$ at an unachievable outcome with a new GPU. Clearly the thing to do is wait longer and see what others are experiencing. 

Multithreaded programming is pretty tricky, it's going to be a major engineering effort for 1C to update the game engine to be more multicore capable (it *is* multithreaded and can take advantage of 4-6 cores, it's just there is still a hot thread that ends up being the limiting factor). Given all the competing priorities I can see why they are investing in new content before a niche area like VR performance. But, in the latest patch we did get a reprojection fix, so they do care about VR, all is not lost.

For your question about 120hz, in order to achieve that the CPU and GPU need to prepare a frame in 1/120th of a second, which is 8.3 milliseconds. I have an RTX 2080, a Rift S, and an 8086K clocked to 5.0ghz. I've definitely seen CPU and GPU frame times below 8.3ms, so it might be possible to achieve, but then again I also see frame times above 12ms (the 80 FPS cutoff for Rift S) on both the CPU and GPU.

What you could do is use fpsVR or a similar tool to examine your CPU and GPU frame times. You could use supersampling to approximate the Index' resolution on your current headset, then check for that magic 8.3ms value. Try a bunch of different graphics settings. Overclock your 9900K and observe the effect on CPU frame times. You could overclock the RAM as well, that has a bit of a benefit in IL2. 3200-CAS14 is pretty good already but you might be able to run it at 3333 or 3433.

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Multithreaded programming is pretty tricky, it's going to be a major engineering effort for 1C to update the game engine to be more multicore capable (it *is* multithreaded and can take advantage of 4-6 cores, it's just there is still a hot thread that ends up being the limiting factor). Given all the competing priorities I can see why they are investing in new content before a niche area like VR performance. But, in the latest patch we did get a reprojection fix, so they do care about VR, all is not lost.

And even if the Devs implemented this right now, there is a good chance they would use the new performance headroom to throw in a ton of new stuff into the system adjusting the good performance to the average monitor PC specs and VR users would again be on the side where it's hard to keep the 90 FPS we need (or 80 or whatever required for a specific HMD). I don't think VR users have enough numbers that justifies for Devs to adjust game performance to VR when they could make the game much more beautiful for the majority of the customers.  

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:52 PM, pomdeterre said:

Got EVGA base 2080ti ($999 on evga site). Got a water cooler block for it, another $150. Swapped the 1080ti for the new puppy.

Congrats on the upgrade and I am taking 1080ti donations if you care to help a good cause. 🤓

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, HunDread said:

And even if the Devs implemented this right now, there is a good chance they would use the new performance headroom to throw in a ton of new stuff into the system adjusting the good performance to the average monitor PC specs and VR users would again be on the side where it's hard to keep the 90 FPS we need (or 80 or whatever required for a specific HMD). I don't think VR users have enough numbers that justifies for Devs to adjust game performance to VR when they could make the game much more beautiful for the majority of the customers.  

True. While I'm sure they want the game working even on older systems, any extra headroom gained would likely go to more detailed scenery, ground battles, massive bomber formations and so on.

On the bright side, our roof now is clock speed and you can only go that high in this department , regardless of budget. With better multicore scaling there at least would be (a very expensive) possibility of building a rig to handle whatever.

3 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Congrats on the upgrade and I am taking 1080ti donations if you care to help a good cause. 🤓

Repurposed it for my video making rig unfortunately for you.. :)

6 minutes ago, pomdeterre said:

Repurposed it for my video making rig unfortunately for you.. :)

Well shucks 🤷‍♀️  lol 

On 6/13/2019 at 11:25 PM, Alonzo said:

it's just there is still a hot thread that ends up being the limiting factor

True story

image.png.dad9b493744ba4d0597dc226da7a2513.png

• Haha 12
  • Upvote 1