Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat

A very interesting video on the RoF engine

I never saw this before. It may be old news to some but I am even more impressed... It bodes well for what we can expect from BoS IMO.

Wow.. no one has anything to say about this..? I know it is old.. the engine is probably even better as of today .. but all things considered..  I think this makes BoS look very promising...

10 years passed and you are still enormously  prone to  seeking the brightest white in the picture Bearcat :) 

On my view  we need to wait and see.   And as soon as the developers can show us a video of  a ww2 plane flying in the  updated engine from inside a reasonable cockpit (not insane like CLoD) the sooner they will dispel the  community  anxiety.   So  realistically I do not expect this "engine vs engine" subject to subdue completely   for several months.

• Upvote 1

10 years passed and you are still enormously  prone to  seeking the brightest white in the picture Bearcat :)

On my view  we need to wait and see.   And as soon as the developers can show us a video of  a ww2 plane flying in the  updated engine from inside a reasonable cockpit (not insane like CLoD) the sooner they will dispel the  community  anxiety.   So  realistically I do not expect this "engine vs engine" subject to subdue completely   for several months.

What can I say.. ;)

.. and I agree.. we need to wait and see .. but this seems promising to me .. I don't see why this engine can be anything but a good platform for a ore complex sim like a WWII one...

Anxiety? I hardly think many are that uptight about BoS. Eager for sure but hardly suffering anxiety. Overall the mood on this forum has been pretty upbeat. Hope it continues.

I installed the game yesterday.. and tested for about 1 hour.  To be frank I  didn't liked the feeling. But its hard to judge if its because of the engine or because ww1 planes fly so differently (and  less fun).

We will have to  just cross fingers until they shouw us a WW2 plane witht he  engine modifications.

BTw, i do not think I can  play  RoF seriously..  I hate those stupid extra wings on bi planes and triplanes that make my nice 30 inch  monitors have as much useful displayed  info as the size of my cell phone screen :P

Anxiety? I hardly think many are that uptight about BoS. Eager for sure but hardly suffering anxiety. Overall the mood on this forum has been pretty upbeat. Hope it continues.

We will see if it will last. Because if they will use ROF development philosophy (no FM fixes for a year+ and hyperproducing new planes for money) ppl will lost interest (at least MP folks). WW2 crowd in MP is majority unlike in ROF (WW1). On top of that CLODs mod team (Team Fusion) is working on the title to make it what it was supposed to be. A true IL2 successor. Nothing will compare to it once they make improvements (FM, DM, optimisation, visuals, features, etc). The MP potential of its engine is by far superior to anything on the market.

I installed the game yesterday.. and tested for about 1 hour.  To be frank I  didn't liked the feeling. But its hard to judge if its because of the engine or because ww1 planes fly so differently (and  less fun).

We will have to  just cross fingers until they shouw us a WW2 plane witht he  engine modifications.

BTw, i do not think I can  play  RoF seriously..  I hate those stupid extra wings on bi planes and triplanes that make my nice 30 inch  monitors have as much useful displayed  info as the size of my cell phone screen :P

Speak for yourself. I like WW1 and WW2 airwar equally. Why do you think you would play BOS more "seriously" than, lets say, ROF or IL2 46?? Cause your stuck in ww2?

Edited by Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

Speak for yourself. I like WW1 and WW2 airwar equally. Why do you think you would play BOS more "seriously" than, lets say, ROF or IL2 46?? Cause your stuck in ww2?

Because I find it extremely boring, hate the feeling that you are flying a fragile kite that is slower than the car I drive home from work, and have    turn and burn close range furballing on  kites.   WW2  air combat is a completely different beast, with aspect that I find interesting.   I also do not like   modern  air combat because  the mechanics became less interesting, but the air to ground   in modern   days I find more interesting (dealing with SAM , radars etc  for me is interesting.

But on WW1 scenario I   cannot get any enthusiasm, therefore I would not spend money   of  hundreds of hours on such a game. Nothign against 777 studio's work,  just hat the scenario, for me, is less interesting than cleaning the sidewalk on front of my house. But for a good ww2 air combat simulator  with a reasonably large set of airplanes I could spend a LOT of my  income.

Thanks a lot for the vid Bearcat. When you look at it from this perspective, you sort of appreciate the work that has been put into the product. Yeah I am fascinated by this and had no idea the thing was sooo complex. About ww1 air combat. Yeah the thing is it is a bit difficult to get enthusiastic about such fragile kites and the main thing is I just don't see a very big role of the aircraft in ww1. Well not as big as ww2. However I am a huge aircombat fan so I am not bothered.

I would just like to see the Career fixed up a bit. It's still a bit illogical and can be very frustrating. I am just happy that with the 1.29b hotfix the flak isn't as deadly.

I am very curious about how they model CG.

My question comes down to do they model Aerodynamic Center, Stability Margin, and Center of Gravity or just a simple Center of Gravity?

For example, when the inertial tensor is resolved, the forces act through the CG of the aircraft thru the arm of the stability margin from the aerodynamic center.

I  woudl bet that they need to do that at least on a minimal level. Otherwise it would result in a very toyish  movment. But  if they do it  in all  depth.. that is another story. My fear is taht the increased speed and forces around a ww2 frame  can make a system that was good for WW1 go over its limits.

If they don't do it in depth, then is results in a single CG for the aircraft and it becomes difficult to model stability and control characteristics.

Your fear is well founded.  With rare exception, Stability and control was not much of a science before World War II.  It just was not considered that important because of the speed of early aircraft was not high enough making some of the most pathological aircraft behaviors controllable.

The implementation of a good FM is what worries me. I really do not care if the game  has cool cockpits or  incredble graphics.  Fligth model and good rendering of distant objects  are 80% of the sim.

What is the fastest speed something in RoF can fly? Any idea? I am very unversed at WW1 kites

A SPAD13 will do roughly 220km/h at sea level.

Well that makes hard to judge the engine when the fastest object on one game are barely above stall speed of the planes of another :P  Damm   we will really be foreced to wait and see.. I hate when games are announced and I  do not have enough infromation to  create wild speculations :P

We have already modified our engine to handle speeds above Mach 1 and collisions etc.

As the video shows we have an advanced system and it works well. 

Flight models will always be subjective and debates about them will never go away. Even with one of the most talented and experienced flight model engineers to have ever worked in this genre, the fact remains that it is still a computer simulation so it will never be perfect.

Jason

• Upvote 1

No one expects more than that. The main focus of the argument here is exactly that we cannot take the current RoF game as basis to what exactly  we can expect. And  some of us have the non healthy behavior of excessive anxiety until they  know MORE  of what is up to come :)

Surely  in a few months when you guys can show us a video of  a bf109   flying, doing  some turns  and zoooming our anxiety will wear off :)

Petrovich is genious thats true. But nobody speaks about FM imperfection but about lack of FM revisions in a more than a year timeline. All that after few pretty fast FM revision (sas they happen in a row, I mean). On top of that team acknowledged some of the urgently needed FM fixes which will make relative performances between planes more believable. FM as complex as it is, is still just a FM in a prop sim and with that said one can say it still "plastic" enough to be adjust rather easily (let say you wont need a year for few fixes). Some community members even provided some docs and many verified pilot accounts on that matter.

We have already modified our engine to handle speeds above Mach 1 and collisions etc.

Flight models will always be subjective and debates about them will never go away. Even with one of the most talented and experienced flight model engineers to have ever worked in this genre, the fact remains that it is still a computer simulation so it will never be perfect.

Jason

Edited by Tvrdi
  • Upvote 3

Tvrdi,

This forum is about Battle of Stalingrad. Do not bring your bitching about our decisions in ROF to this forum. 

Jason

Petrovich is genious thats true. But nobody speaks about FM imperfection but about lack of FM revisions in a more than a year timeline. All that after few pretty fast FM revision (sas they happen in a row, I mean). On top of that team acknowledged some of the urgently needed FM fixes which will make relative performances between planes more believable. FM as complex as it is, is still just a FM in a prop sim and with that said one can say it still "plastic" enough to be adjust rather easily (let say you wont need a year for few fixes). Some community members even provided some docs and many verified pilot accounts on that matter.

+1

Jason if the FM's were corrected Trvdi wouldn't have to post this here. 

• Upvote 2

We're not playing games with users who have an agenda. There is nothing terribly wrong with our flight models. Some people don't like our end results and we never promised to re-build ALL our FMs. This is a fallacy constantly repeated by a disgruntled customer. For the ones we did promise, we did. Our FM system and team is the best on the market and this forum is about the Stalingrad product so stick to that topic. As I have said MANY times, we do not have time or the resources to devote to UNENDING FM revisions of our older product. No team has done more to satisfy the needs and wants of our customers than us in this genre. But regardless of how hard we try, there are those that will never be satisfied. 

Jason

• Upvote 1

The implementation of a good FM is what worries me. I really do not care if the game  has cool cockpits or  incredble graphics.  Fligth model and good rendering of distant objects  are 80% of the sim.

What is the fastest speed something in RoF can fly? Any idea? I am very unversed at WW1 kites

Why are you worried and the whole point of my posting this video in the first place was to show that the engine is very versatile.

Jason

Which was the whole point of my posting the video in the first place because this is the firat time that I have ever seen asuch a video .. One that details the capabilities of the engine for a given sim in a way that someone who knows nothing about coding can understand and appreciate. This post was not meant to be @hat bait.

I don't care for WWI very much either.. and I am also not too fond of modern era sims either .. so  I can't speak for VOM .. but as for myself.. Yeah I'm stuck in WWII .. and I am quite OK with it.. So whatg. You got a problem with that then that's your problem not mine and it has no bearing on the informative nature of this video.

So you have all the data right? You know that the FMs need revisions .. Please.

+1

Jason if the FM's were corrected Trvdi wouldn't have to post this here. 

Trvdi has no reason to post this anyway .. Who says the FMs need correcting?

We're not playing games with users who have an agenda. There is nothing terribly wrong with our flight models. Some people don't like our end results and we never promised to re-build ALL our FMs. This is a fallacy constantly repeated by a disgruntled customer. For the ones we did promise, we did. Our FM system and team is the best on the market and this forum is about the Stalingrad product so stick to that topic. As I have said MANY times, we do not have time or the resources to devote to UNENDING FM revisions of our older product. No team has done more to satisfy the needs and wants of our customers than us in this genre. But regardless of how hard we try, there are those that will never be satisfied. 

Jason

That was not why I posted the link. I posted the link to show what potentially could be possible with the modified engine for BoS and frankly I think that video does a fantastic job of showing just that because one would have to be insane, stupid or just have an agenda to think that these developers would not refine the engine to deal with the product they are endeavoring to create in a way that will be appreciable to the community they are creating that product for. I have relocked this thread because Jason  locked it.. but I really do not appreciate the way two people took a potentially good thread that would have been beneficial to a lot of folks and a great topic of discussion  and totally ruined it with foolishness crying about things they know nothing about and have no relevance to the thread or the future.

To Krupi & Tvrdi ......

imwatchingyou_zps78977ef9.jpg