Geronimo553

3000 steps condensed into one simple performance guide

@Tuna

I just took elements from the other presets to make the the fifth, and went from there. It is a bit of experimentation, but looking at how each of the original presets handles the settings you can get an idea of what the ranges are.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hellequin13 said:

At a guess I would say it is in the last section under //Screen depth, SSAO, SSR. Perhaps try setting depth_res to 0 or -1

Hmm I have turned all those to off and the blur remains. So no luck as of yet. Though what this file does allow is greater adjustment of texture quality, effects quality, render distance, and cloud quality. I will need to play with it to figure how what does what. Ughh and here I thought the graphics section would be finished soon... Oh well, this is great news nonetheless and it has never been shown before. So again thank you for sharing it!! This can lead to great performance improvements that otherwise would be impossible. 

Edited by Geronimo553

1 hour ago, Hellequin13 said:

Just another 'tip' to help finesse the quality vs performance of the game: you can edit the config file for the presets and get things dialed in a little better.

The file is not visible by default (needing to be unpacked) but here is mine that you can copy and save as gpresets.cfg. It goes in the data/LuaScripts folder.

The original file only had the four presets, I added the fifth at the end (so that the originals remained unmolested) and then altered the line "preset = 4" in my startup.cfg file (under the graphics subsection).

I mark my startup.cfg as read only for various other changes, not sure if this change requires it or not.

Hi and thank you for your contribution. But I have two questions for you:

1. Does this work without "MODES ON" or do we need to enable the game as modded?

2. What is your approx. system setup? (CPU, RAM, GPU)

Thanks and cheerio

@Therion

It does not require Mods on setting, so you are free to access all MP servers.

I am running on a AMD 8370 OC'd to 4.8, with 16GB of 1866 DDR3, on a pair of GTX 1080s with a mild OC. I play in VR, so most of my adjustments were to dial back the detail as it does not show in the headset at range.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 7:56 PM, Hellequin13 said:

@Therion

It does not require Mods on setting, so you are free to access all MP servers.

I am running on a AMD 8370 OC'd to 4.8, with 16GB of 1866 DDR3, on a pair of GTX 1080s with a mild OC. I play in VR, so most of my adjustments were to dial back the detail as it does not show in the headset at range.

Does SLI works in VR mode for BoS, do you see an higher FPS and how much? 

Because if I do remember you could not real test it.

Edited by Dutch2

6 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Does SLI works in VR mode for BoS, do you see an higher FPS and how much? 

Because if I do remember you could not real test it.

We've actually discussed this, and the conclusion was no.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Hellequin13 said:

We've actually discussed this, and the conclusion was no.

Thanks that was not clear to me at that time. 

Edited by Dutch2

If anyone wants to take the time and help me -

Dellinspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop. 

I rlly wanna save for oculus but may end uo doing track ir.   Gam runs well usually in il2.  The study sim pretty well but..

Id love to hear any graphucs advice or settings to help spot enemy planes?

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

I rlly wanna save for oculus but may end uo doing track ir.   Gam runs well usually in il2.  The study sim pretty well but..

TrackIR is the best/cheapest route in my opinion. Plus no need to wear a heavy and hot helmet for hours that gives you headaches from staring a screen so close. As for spotting, the best way to improve spotting is with visual clarity. I cover most of this in section one of the guide. But the short n sweet answer is, disable hdr/ssao/sharpen then install Reshade and turn on the adaptivesharpen filter. Then alter the filter to 1.0 or where ever you like. Best way to find a good setting, is to start a quick mission in pursuit mode of AI planes and pause the game with the planes one or two km ahead. After that just bring up the reshade menu and adjust the adaptivesharpen where you want. 

Still working on the filter setting segment. The recent finding of presets config has tied up my time in testing.

20 hours ago, Hellequin13 said:

After extensive testing of all the settings and presets over the course of well over twelve hours. I can confirm the preset config works. However at the same time it does not work. I can alter settings in the preset config and I will see visual changes. But what I will not see is total disabling of features or performance increases by selecting lower settings. Regardless of what I choose for settings or the level of detail selected. The game will perform worse by changing these values in the new preset config compared to deleting this config using default preset values. Everytime I lower the values or turn them off, the game can look at like utter garbage and I will still lose many frames compared to just using the provided values of the default presents. The only real thing I have learned is, that this is the preset order: 0/low, 1/balanced, 2/high, and 3/ultra. If selecting any preset number above 3 (such as 4) then the game defaults to the ultra setting and render distance. This also means we can in fact actually select low/balanced/high/ultra in the startup config by selecting one of these numbers instead of using the in game menu. Which I did not know beforehand.

So I have a theory, perhaps the changes I applied are just adjusting the settings on top of the current visuals. Sort of like a layer, I change the values and see visual changes. But the game performs worse because now the game is rendering the original visual values under my new values, like a conflict. What file did you extract this config from and how? Perhaps I need to remove it from my game's default location as well in order to make it function correctly. Or is there a way where you can script the game to use the new separate preset config by default? 

3 hours ago, Sublime said:

Sorry mate, me being repetitive, but I have a link for you ;)

Cheerio

P.S: If I was you, I'd opt for the TrackIR and wait for another 2 years before going for VR.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

His Dell 15-7000 is NOT suited for anykind of VR, even the first gen VR headsets will not run BoS in VR.  So for him the only option would be TrackIR. 

But does the @Sublime haven an Joystick? If not I would go for an JS first, think the Thrustmaster T160000m would be a very good and cheap choice. 

Edited by Dutch2
NOT
  • Thanks 1

I got a logitech extreme 3d pro.  It works well enuff to fly helos in the study sim works great for the game. I def need a voice head set.

So VRs out?

14 hours ago, -=-THERION said:

Sorry mate, me being repetitive, but I have a link for you ;)

Cheerio

P.S: If I was you, I'd opt for the TrackIR and wait for another 2 years before going for VR.

No need to be sorry. You guys are sorry? Im the lazy one. Noone shud be surprised.

Thanks and can I ask why for VR?

15 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

TrackIR is the best/cheapest route in my opinion. Plus no need to wear a heavy and hot helmet for hours that gives you headaches from staring a screen so close. As for spotting, the best way to improve spotting is with visual clarity. I cover most of this in section one of the guide. But the short n sweet answer is, disable hdr/ssao/sharpen then install Reshade and turn on the adaptivesharpen filter. Then alter the filter to 1.0 or where ever you like. Best way to find a good setting, is to start a quick mission in pursuit mode of AI planes and pause the game with the planes one or two km ahead. After that just bring up the reshade menu and adjust the adaptivesharpen where you want. 

Still working on the filter setting segment. The recent finding of presets config has tied up my time in testing.

After extensive testing of all the settings and presets over the course of well over twelve hours. I can confirm the preset config works. However at the same time it does not work. I can alter settings in the preset config and I will see visual changes. But what I will not see is total disabling of features or performance increases by selecting lower settings. Regardless of what I choose for settings or the level of detail selected. The game will perform worse by changing these values in the new preset config compared to deleting this config using default preset values. Everytime I lower the values or turn them off, the game can look at like utter garbage and I will still lose many frames compared to just using the provided values of the default presents. The only real thing I have learned is, that this is the preset order: 0/low, 1/balanced, 2/high, and 3/ultra. If selecting any preset number above 3 (such as 4) then the game defaults to the ultra setting and render distance. This also means we can in fact actually select low/balanced/high/ultra in the startup config by selecting one of these numbers instead of using the in game menu. Which I did not know beforehand.

So I have a theory, perhaps the changes I applied are just adjusting the settings on top of the current visuals. Sort of like a layer, I change the values and see visual changes. But the game performs worse because now the game is rendering the original visual values under my new values, like a conflict. What file did you extract this config from and how? Perhaps I need to remove it from my game's default location as well in order to make it function correctly. Or is there a way where you can script the game to use the new separate preset config by default? 

Thanks yeah I read your giide was just hoping to pick up some stray nugget of info. You know the one that sometimes makes everything different and makes me an eagle eye? Wheres that check box? :)

6 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

His Dell 15-7000 is suited for anykind of VR, even the first gen VR headsets will not run BoS in VR.  So for him the only option would be TrackIR. 

But does the @Sublime haven an Joystick? If not I would go for an JS first, think the Thrustmaster T160000m would be a very good and cheap choice. 

wait so to be clear an oculus WONT work on my dell?

A joystick is a MUST have for a flight sim. I started in the 90s amdnapparently now so are trackir and headsets at a minimum. Sigh.

Thrustmasterd are awesole my fav ever back in 2k was a thrustmaster based om the f15e joy.

Anyways yes perjaps another joy but my logitechs fine.  Hotas would be interesting but I mever felt its lack except with the 2 seat plane in the study sim that they made a famoud 80s movie about.  That damned plane has so many buttoms I could use 3 hotas'

Anyways headset definitely.  Im amazed at how some will - its fine I dont have ome and cant be in group or squad - nut some ppl literally apmost get hostile to you for not having a damn headset.  Or mu fav other line for ppl to say to total stranger who was unemployed then "FFS its only 60.99!" (Me: i got a kid and no job rn dude.)  " well jeesh. They got a cheap 40 dollar one thats nothing"

Smh :)

So it lookz like headset and track. I was fixed on VR fu*k.  Why wont my shitty dell run it?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Wheres that check box? :)

So it lookz like headset and track. I was fixed on VR fu*k.  Why wont my shitty dell run it?

Basically because your computer has to, A. process the game on it's screen and B. process the game for the VR at the same time. It is a massive data process for any computer and in my opinion it is as much of a gimmick technology now as it was in the early 2000s. A cheap delanclip/trackhat and ps3 eye camera will do about the same as any VR and trackIR itself will do the same if not better. VR is the spidget spinner of the tech world basically, popular but pointless. Want cheap VR? Put your face closer to a screen and it is basically the same. lol

As for the check box, I thought I was overly descriptive enough in describing where to find it. Not exactly hidden... Just be glad I was (just now) able to actually take a correct screenshot for once as it was hidden under my taskbar until now.
MJnyEHO.jpg
                                                                      ^ Can you see it now?? 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Thanks 1

You mean the overlay menu?  I see it and have never seen it before what programs that for?

Ok your feelings aside my comp wont run vr though?  Thatd what Im getting at. TrackIR takes getti g used to moving your head keeping eues on screen. I disagree moving yout face close is the same its moot however if it wont run.  

Suggestions for track ir /head sets?  Dont need to be super cheap ones but im not rich mind..

I guess the silver lining is ill be able to buy a trackir sooner tham vr

Oo thx for the trhustmaster 16000 tip.  Hotas and stick for 100 thats tempting.  Maybe aftee this headset ir thing. Does the TM have a twist rudder? Because then if not I jave to get pedals and that chanhes things.  Tbats another 50 bucks or sumthing.  Considering my joy now I cam fly the study sims huey NOE VERY WELL (and the huey requires CONSTANT rudder) im satisfied my with my joys rudder however a hotas and that joy do look awsome

Opinioms on which ir to buy?  Cheap will work as well is that true?  I like plugging my comp hdmi in my flat screen that wont be affecred will it?  Also it seems very hard to adjust to moving head but mot eyes is it that bad?

So any advice on brands of ir and headsets pls?  Ill mess with tje graphics overlay when i get those. Im not rich again but I dpnt need cheapest. But obviously if cheap works justas well.

Geronimo was it you that said u use stripof velcro to tape ur IRto headset?

Good idea

Thanks for the help guys.  Most of you seem experienced and been arnd. Noone qho helped me has msged me back asking for stuff.

Is anyone here new and rlly pining for an airplane or anything?

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Sublime said:

You mean the overlay menu?  I see it and have never seen it before what programs that for?

Ok your feelings aside my comp wont run vr though?  Thatd what Im getting at. TrackIR takes getti g used to moving your head keeping eues on screen. I disagree moving yout face close is the same its moot however if it wont run.  

Suggestions for track ir /head sets?  Dont need to be super cheap ones but im not rich mind..

I guess the silver lining is ill be able to buy a trackir sooner tham vr

Find the best deal you like https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=trackir&_sacat=0. If I had to do it all again I would of just bought a TrackIR4 or 5 kit with the reader and IR clip. I bought the cheap one from this guy https://www.ebay.com/itm/OpenTrack-Camera-IR-LED-Track-Clip-Pro-Head-Tracking-TrackIR-5-alternate/151757117873?hash=item23556dd9b1:g:UEQAAOSwo8hcx64r and has been a struggle getting everything placed/located "just right" so it works. There is also Trackhat which is the middleground https://www.trackhat.org/shop-cfk4 . So decide what you are willing to pay: high cost ease of use, middle ground works, or cheap with lots of headache.  I'll be covering the cheap opentrack program setup in the guide. 

The program shown in the pic is Reshade which has an entire section dedicated to it in the guide. If not reshade then what other checkbox do you mean? Unless you are referring to disabling motion blur by disabling cinematic camera. Which is located in the camera menu of the game settings menu. Click camera and there is a cinematic camera check box on the bottom left.  

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Also one last o/t.  I have a key for Tannenberg online fps. I havent activated.  Does anyone want it?  First come first get (obv free)

1 minute ago, Geronimo553 said:

Find the best deal you like https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=trackir&_sacat=0. If I had to do it all again I would of just bought a TrackIR4 or 5 kit with the reader and IR clip. I bought the cheap one from this guy https://www.ebay.com/itm/OpenTrack-Camera-IR-LED-Track-Clip-Pro-Head-Tracking-TrackIR-5-alternate/151757117873?hash=item23556dd9b1:g:UEQAAOSwo8hcx64r and has been a struggle getting everything placed/located "just right" so it works. There is also Trackhat which is the middleground https://www.trackhat.org/shop-cfk4 . So decide what you are willing to pay: high cost ease of use, middle ground works, or cheap with lots of headache.  I'll be covering the cheap opentrack program setup in the guide. 

The program shown in the pic is Reshade which has an entire section dedicated to it in the guide. If not reshade then what other checkbox do you mean? Unless you are referring to disabling motion blur by disabling cinematic camera. Which is located in the camera menu of the game settings menu. Click camera and there is a cinematic camera check box on the bottom left.  

I meant in your screen you jad an overlay with check box marks. Maybe im looking at it wronv. It looked like you had a overlay program to edit graphics settings and. Werent in the ingsme menu.

Ill check the prices. Im not a comp whiz and I often csnt even make damned mods work so I definitely am wary of difficult use. Damn you and your encylcopedic knowledge G ;)

Thx for the links Im gonna check it out..

Do you mind if after looking I ask you wgich you'd pick? I know ur not me etc but I value your opinion. Thanks 

and everyone elses opinions frankly

Yes G the overlay says DX11. Is that a direct x control panel or a nvidia control panel... Or..

I only messed with in game settingz. I really must dig thru ur guide.  But being lazy again and for all - i have heard some say its essential to use the nvidia control panel. I havent qnd havent dropped dead from 5 fps but still i wonder if I could be getting a lot more use..

Oh wow geronimo that trackhat site is VERY affordable.  Its in England tho so thats a delay receiving it. I wondwr if they can send frm america. Still much more affordavle.than I thought. So theres 60 and 80 pound irs... Where would you place these quality wise ?  Thats definitely in my price range

Also the one for 50 bucks u said you got.   How do you like yours? How easy was install? What are the flaws?

Did u get used or new?

Sorry Geronimo

8 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

His Dell 15-7000 is suited for anykind of VR, even the first gen VR headsets will not run BoS in VR.  So for him the only option would be TrackIR. 

That thrustmastwr looks great and has a hotas!! To be fair my joy now is fine for IL2 but the study sim and the tomcat itd be perfect for and track ir too.  But itd still be great for il2.

My biggestconcern?  Rudder.  My joy thru practicr I use rudder as wrll as ppl with pedals. When id fly the study sim huey online ppl with pedals would ask wgat pedals i used because the huey uses rudder so heavily and i could fly NOE very well. They were shocked it was a twist joy.

Rudder pedals would be nice.but its another pricey item and low on my list. The thrustmaster still is lower than track ir etc (fwiw i wouldmt even do a flightsim without a joystick. Ever)

But im intrigued. However its not a twisty stick is it?

Nvm it does have a twiat rudder. Im getting one eventually. Month or two.  Awesome.  Seems the rudder thing breaks easily but TM replaces it.  And thats if you fly a really heavy hand.  Tho I may have to stop my emergency slow down trick for formation flying or non combat whicj is hard rudder back and forth I can drop 200 km/h in a few seconds that way yawing my plane hard to either direction.  You gotta watch the altitude though i alwats seem yo end up a few k higher (feet not meters)

Edited by Sublime

8 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Also one last o/t.  I have a key for Tannenberg online fps. I havent activated.  Does anyone want it?  First come first get (obv free)

I meant in your screen you jad an overlay with check box marks. Maybe im looking at it wronv. It looked like you had a overlay program to edit graphics settings and. Werent in the ingsme menu.

Ill check the prices. Im not a comp whiz and I often csnt even make damned mods work so I definitely am wary of difficult use. Damn you and your encylcopedic knowledge G ;)

Thx for the links Im gonna check it out..

Do you mind if after looking I ask you wgich you'd pick? I know ur not me etc but I value your opinion. Thanks 

and everyone elses opinions frankly

Yes G the overlay says DX11. Is that a direct x control panel or a nvidia control panel... Or..

I only messed with in game settingz. I really must dig thru ur guide.  But being lazy again and for all - i have heard some say its essential to use the nvidia control panel. I havent qnd havent dropped dead from 5 fps but still i wonder if I could be getting a lot more use..

I hope that unused key will find a caring home! Maybe someday a tank crew key will fall into my lap. lol 

Well truth be told, I'm not a super computer whiz either I'm just knowledgeable. I also had to go through all the growing pains of learning this headache stuff too. There is so much information to sponge in our brain in order to just to play the game. Then we also have to learn these extra side programs as well! It is almost like going to college and learning an entirely new skill set for a new person. Which is why I wanted to make this thread/guide so there is a long piece of information that covers all the need to know information in one place. A person could explain to me in detail all day about doing something new and I won't remember any of it. But if a person shows me what to do and explain then what to do. Then I can piece together how to use new information and apply it. So I'm hoping the pictures will help assist on the visual aspects of learning new things covered in the guide. If there are any sections or information that does not make sense to you, that tells me I need to improve it. So by all means be open with questions because others will have the same questions down the line. 

If you want additional infos on a trackir system send me a pm and I'll go over whichever with you.

Basically nvidia control panel allows you to turn on "prefer maximum performance" in the settings. I covered it in the configuration section. This prevents your pc from underclocking your hardware to save power. There are a few other reasons but that is the big "must". For a laptop user such as yourself, if you are mobile with the laptop then you should familiarize yourself with this menu as leaving it on will zap your battery power. 

Your Dell can not handle BoX VR, it is to weak. 

The Thrustmaster T160000m does have an twisted stick, that can be used for the Rudder. Also this stick can be used for lefthanders. 

Only left handed for writing. Weird childhood accident.  Thanks tho dutch if u read my post carefully youd see zi looked further and noted that. Im gonna end up gttn 1 a 100 is a good deal. May be abit.

Posted (edited)

Compiled all the Reshade filter values and finished the Reshade section. Included how to install the Reshade profile and uploaded my profile of Reshade for public use. (May god have mercy on our souls. :joy:)  The Reshade section should be complete now and I only need to polish it. I also mentioned MSI afterburner for graphics card management in the adjustments through windows section. Added @Tes's amazing "Staring at pixels" thread into the bonus section. Which compares various sharpening filters and spotting in the game. (highly recommend checking it out)

Thats all folks, for now... 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, Geronimo553 said:

Sorry for the delayed response, I was testing to see if going back to vanilla presets produced better performance or not, and during this time period my GPU OC software received an automatic update which wiped my profiles (thanks EVGA/Steam!). After learning the new software, I've got my OC back and have since ran both with and without the OC: I did not see improvement using the original presets.

Strange that you are noticing a degradation in performance where I see improvements. Prior to playing around with this file, I settled on the Balanced setting, but was still getting some juddering and ghosting while tracking planes; significant frame drops over cities and large towns, as well as with clouds and water (reflections); and then there was the poor performance while flying on busy MP servers (especially those with AI). I tried Low, but it was far too ugly for my liking, so I figured I would dig in to this file and try to find a happy medium between Low and Balanced, and see if I could push some options a bit higher.

For instance, on Balanced, while flying low over the water near Stalingrad, I was getting a severe slide show, so I took reflections down to 1, which is actually lower then the Low setting and now there is minimal dropped frames (if any). Similarly, I reduced the cloud samples to 32, half of Low's setting, and I no longer have issues with cloud rendering, and they actually look better (to me). The problem with buildings in populated areas is cut by reducing object_distance to that of the Low setting, and trees were sorted by setting forest_quality to 0 (which is lower than Low, and prevents the higher LOD textures from loading). All of this keeps a fine balance between quality and performance, and while I would love the eye candy, keeping high frames in VR is of the utmost importance (higher persistence ensures the perception of depth).

Perhaps it is because I am using a VR HMD that I see benefits, where you don't? Though that seem illogical, as the rendering workload should be reduced in either case.

As for the unpacking of the file, I am not the one to have done that. I don't recall who posted it originally, or whether it was here or on the Steam forums, as I downloaded their file back in mid December (and it sat untouched for a while as I was still trying OC and setting tweaks to eek out more performance). I doubt that there is any layering of the effects of the file, as that is generally not how these things work, but that is only something the devs could confirm, as it is their engine. Perhaps we need some more user input, from both VR and non-VR members, just to gather more data on whether they see benefit or not.

Speaking of VR use, this statement:

On 6/7/2019 at 5:15 AM, Geronimo553 said:

VR is the spidget spinner of the tech world basically, popular but pointless. Want cheap VR? Put your face closer to a screen and it is basically the same.

...is extremely erroneous. The only way in which that statement is representative of the VR experience is in resolution: place you eyes close to your screen, to where you can see the space between the individual pixels, and you get an idea of the loss in clarity. Wearing an HMD is so much more than wearing a small screen pressed up against your face.

Each eye receives its respective angle, giving proper parallax to create a depth that represents a true to life sense of scale. Add to that the 1:1 head tracking and sitting in the cockpit of these planes gives you the sense of their cramped quarters. Flying at various altitudes has all the feeling of the actual distances between you and the ground.  I used track IR for many years in both Rise of Flight and IL2, and pretty much sucked at B-n-Z style flying as I could never quite get the hang of setting up my approach in a 2D environment. In VR, it is so much easier to gauge your separation and energy levels between you and your quarry. And then there is gunnery.

Aiming, and adjusting your aim, is more intuitive as you can track the arc of your tracers through the air. Not just a curved line on a 2D screen, but actually seeing the volume of space the rounds traverse. This applies to flying your bomb loads on to your target as well. I was good at ground pounding before (through lots of practice) but after a years long hiatus, I am better now only a few months in. It just translates better in VR.

And then there are those moments that you just can't get on a 2D screen. Tucking your plane under the wing of a Heinkel, looking up and seeing the scale of the thing. Flying your plane through the mountain valleys on Kuban, diving down one side and up the other, at tree top level, rolling inverted as you crest the ridge and having a whole valley floor open up below you (or above, depending on how you look at it). It is unparalleled.

There was this one time I was flying on Berloga and was corralling an enemy plane while another bloke flew diving passes on him. They collided right in front of me, both planes exploding into a debris field of burning bits amid streams of black smoke falling down around me as I flew through the wreckage. While that might have been a sight on screen, in VR it was simply epic. If you ever get the chance, take it, you will (most likely) be amazed at how good it really is.

While VR may still have its teething issues, namely poor resolution and limited FOV (akin to WWI googles, so fine for Flying Circus kites), the level of immersion it offers makes it all but impossible to go back to the days of flat screen flying. It is so much more than a passing fad, or gimmick. Just ask around, the vast majority who use it refuse to go back: It is here to stay.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hellequin13 said:

Perhaps it is because I am using a VR HMD that I see benefits, where you don't? Though that seem illogical, as the rendering workload should be reduced in either case.

As for the unpacking of the file, I am not the one to have done that. I don't recall who posted it originally, or whether it was here or on the Steam forums, as I downloaded their file back in mid December (and it sat untouched for a while as I was still trying OC and setting tweaks to eek out more performance). I doubt that there is any layering of the effects of the file, as that is generally not how these things work, but that is only something the devs could confirm, as it is their engine. Perhaps we need some more user input, from both VR and non-VR members, just to gather more data on whether they see benefit or not.

Speaking of VR use, this statement:

Yes I'm not sure what is incorrect here. I placed the file in the luascripts data/folder and edited the settings from there. I never saw any consistent performance gains and like I said. I spent over twelve hours "trying" to make it work by testing settings. So I am at a loss in how are yielding performance increases. Between what you have running on your system with the game and what I have running with the game on mine, there is a discrepancy. Perhaps that is the VR and perhaps not. Have you tried launching the game with/without the gpresets config and with/without VR to see the results as well?

As for VR, there is nothing a VR user in iL-2 can do that a trackIR user cannot do and even a user without both is not far behind. So I leave the practicality aspect of it there. As for the amount of money required to use it, the additional tons of hardware to run it, and the endless issues of mentally, physically, and digitally it causes. I just honestly do not see the benefits and I have said that for over a decade now. Sure it's "nice", but it is more of a hindrance than an asset in my book. Just read about the side effects and health risks of using it... Literal side effects and health risks for gaming hardware... It takes staring too close to a screen and losing your vision to a whole new level of bad. So no, I do not support VR and will not until many years from now when the primitive technology is practical, more developed, and dare I say, safe. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Sensitivity part? When? 😢

I took a small break, each section has taken a massive amount of time to create so it has been nice not having to worry about dedicating the time to it. I will be continuing the other sections soon so no worries. Is there anything in particular you want me to talk about?

• Thanks 1

Excellent work here.  Highly appreciated!

• Like 1

Is it possible to extend the grass rendering bubble?

2 hours ago, Mac_Messer said:

Is it possible to extend the grass rendering bubble?

gnfAfLe.png

It "should" be possible to increase the grass render distance circle via "grass_distance" setting in the startup config file. (location is shown in section 2) The default setting is 100.0 and that distance is in meters. So changing grass to "grass_distance = 500.0" or whichever distance should increase the render distance. Though I have not tested this to confirm if grass render is increased after changing the number above 100. Let me know if it works.

• Thanks 1

Very nice guide with lots of interesting points being made. I personally would not recommend turning HDR off, as it first and foremost controls lighting of a cockpit, and without it, some pits turn almost pitch black for some reason (P-47 being the worst offender here). Not a big deal for players using technochat messages, but much more problematic for the rest who rely strictly on watching instruments, indicators and levers all the time.

That's from 0.8-gamma user's perspective, though, you use higher value so it might not be an issue for you.

Thank you for this guide! I've been searching for a long time how to improve a few things and how to spot enemies more easily.
I've also used reshade a bit in combination with lower gamma, but this made it difficult for me to identify the planes and depending on the background it was still hard to track them.  
At least I think I can recognize a few things easier and faster now. So many thanks again. Besides, I find the structure of your guide also very nice and catchy for an amateur like me.

best regards Rico

On 6/9/2019 at 9:39 AM, Geronimo553 said:

Yes I'm not sure what is incorrect here. I placed the file in the luascripts data/folder and edited the settings from there. I never saw any consistent performance gains and like I said. I spent over twelve hours "trying" to make it work by testing settings. So I am at a loss in how are yielding performance increases. Between what you have running on your system with the game and what I have running with the game on mine, there is a discrepancy. Perhaps that is the VR and perhaps not. Have you tried launching the game with/without the gpresets config and with/without VR to see the results as well?

As for VR, there is nothing a VR user in iL-2 can do that a trackIR user cannot do and even a user without both is not far behind. So I leave the practicality aspect of it there. As for the amount of money required to use it, the additional tons of hardware to run it, and the endless issues of mentally, physically, and digitally it causes. I just honestly do not see the benefits and I have said that for over a decade now. Sure it's "nice", but it is more of a hindrance than an asset in my book. Just read about the side effects and health risks of using it... Literal side effects and health risks for gaming hardware... It takes staring too close to a screen and losing your vision to a whole new level of bad. So no, I do not support VR and will not until many years from now when the primitive technology is practical, more developed, and dare I say, safe. 

Well for starters 2d users can't see in 3d, and have zero depth perception, going to VR can make somebody a much better shot. That's just a fact. You can FEEL the plane. How many hours have you logged in il2 in VR? Please refresh my memory. Last I checked I had around 400 hours in il2 in VR.

Your unfounded claims of health issues related to VR are laughable as well. Please post sources to these long term health effects or please stop spreading fud. Thanks. Whats funny is I don't even use VR anymore, but hearing ignorant users comment on subjects they haven't even had the chance to experience makes me irrationally angry.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot for this guide !... Very easy to follow and great visuals improvements at the end !!... 

Thanks again for your work !...

Edited by Banshee

wow... turning off vsync AND frame rate limitation has made a major difference, no tearing, better fps, and headtracking feels totally natural despite my sensitivity settings....

• Like 1

Sorry to ask but the IL2. exe its the file Launcher inside the game folder?

Is this  where i have to point the reshade exe to install reshade in IL2?

5 hours ago, viperGerson said:

Sorry to ask but the IL2. exe its the file Launcher inside the game folder?

Is this  where i have to point the reshade exe to install reshade in IL2?

You need to point reshade.exe to the executable file "IL2.exe" - don't point to the launcher file.

"Launcher.exe" is only needed to update your game.

"IL2.exe" is the executable to run your game.

So, you better create a shortcut to your desktop from "IL2.exe". Start/run your game with

this shortcut.

Cheerio

Thanks Therion

Unfortunately I cant find this file, IL2.exe in the path provided

In the game folder theres only the launcher, D server, IL2, and Restarter. 

Sorry....

The file IL2 is the I2.exe....

I cliked on it and it started the game.

So, I just have to point reshade installer to tis IL2 to install reshade in the game.

Right?

1 hour ago, viperGerson said:

Thanks Therion

Unfortunately I cant find this file, IL2.exe in the path provided

In the game folder theres only the launcher, D server, IL2, and Restarter. 

Sorry....

The file IL2 is the I2.exe....

I cliked on it and it started the game.

So, I just have to point reshade installer to tis IL2 to install reshade in the game.

Right?

Yep