Geronimo553

3000 steps condensed into one simple performance guide (plus spotting)

9 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Hmmm and MSAA is not better for spoting than FXAA? Everybody telling me this,

Back in one of the Dev diaries Han mentioned that spotting against the ground would be best with FXAA and in-game sharpen on, and people seem to be having better luck with FXAA. But maybe best to try out different combos. It might just be that with FXAA less of the contacts are 'aliased out' whereas with MSAA it's smoother but you lose more of the contact as a result.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Back in one of the Dev diaries Han mentioned that spotting against the ground would be best with FXAA and in-game sharpen on, and people seem to be having better luck with FXAA. But maybe best to try out different combos. It might just be that with FXAA less of the contacts are 'aliased out' whereas with MSAA it's smoother but you lose more of the contact as a result.

Pretty much this. I tested both online, fxaa made me see the contacts better but they flickered in and out sometimes. Msaa had them displayed smoothly without flickering, but a little smaller since the edges were a lot smoother.

so it really comes down to what you prefer in that case. Also msaa costs a bit more fps

Edited by H_Stiglitz

8 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Either run the installation program again for reshade or delete the reshade folder. It is stored here. If you continue to have issues copy/paste your start.cfg file as a backup somewhere and delete the original. That way your game will begin with a new start config file.

explorer_72h3Mpi8CW.png.a78b502b521e76bb1d434c83d96fa644.png

UPDATE

If your game is not having any graphical issues. For now here are the new settings for the updated game.

GAME SETTINGS: Turn on sharpen, Turn on FXAA at 4x, and set mirrors to medium.

RESHADE: Turn off colourfulness, leave on curves vibrance adaptivesharpen dpx. Reduce adaptivesharpen to 0.60 strength.

NVIDIA control panel: Turn on image sharpening. Set sharpening to 0.80 and film grain to 0.

I will need to tweak colourfulness as it now has a negative effect for spotting. The light blue background (built into the game) is overpowering the now much more defined black planes. The new game update is very nice and has considerably improved spotting. For now this is all I have and I hope it helps you all. 

Ms Geronimo, I was unable to download your 2020 update for reshade.  I do have the original file from your initial post for reshade and I notice in your recent post you mention dpx. Right now what I have is colourfulness, curves,vibrance and adaptivesharpen.  If I was to turn on dpx, what values should I change to make it look like the pictures you provided? I'm looking forward to the final product! Thanks for the help👍!

54 minutes ago, tlofrankk said:

Ms Geronimo, I was unable to download your 2020 update for reshade.  I do have the original file from your initial post for reshade and I notice in your recent post you mention dpx. Right now what I have is colourfulness, curves,vibrance and adaptivesharpen.  If I was to turn on dpx, what values should I change to make it look like the pictures you provided? I'm looking forward to the final product! Thanks for the help👍!

Here is the latest reshade filter I am currently using/testing. All settings should be functional. Let me know if you can download it or not.
http://www.filedropper.com/il-2gerovisualpreferencebeta

If anyone is curious here is what my start config looks like. I'm changing this constantly to test things and this is not finalized so less performance by occur. I usually dont post test configs. But thus far this seems to be working. I am liking 4x fxaa and just enabling msaa. The in game menu only allows you to select either other instead of both like this. So if you encounter less fps try only one of the AA types.  Also the update enables more gpu processing. So the additional reflection effects will probably cost you more frames with little benefit. 

wordpad_40GlKwLFvY.png.deaccae0e9376a4f926acfc6c02c0c5e.png

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Here is the latest reshade filter I am currently using/testing. All settings should be functional. Let me know if you can download it or not.
http://www.filedropper.com/il-2gerovisualpreferencebeta

If anyone is curious here is what my start config looks like. I'm changing this constantly to test things and this is not finalized so less performance by occur. I usually dont post test configs. But thus far this seems to be working. I am liking 4x fxaa and just enabling msaa. The in game menu only allows you to select either other instead of both like this. So if you encounter less fps try only one of the AA types.  Also the update enables more gpu processing. So the additional reflection effects will probably cost you more frames with little benefit. 

wordpad_40GlKwLFvY.png.deaccae0e9376a4f926acfc6c02c0c5e.png

MSAA=1 mean MSAA is ON. I guess its on 0 if I select FXAA.

Edited by -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

MSAA=1 mean MSAA is ON. I guess its on 0 if I select FXAA.

Corretto! 10 points for the candidate, bravo. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well so far this is all working very well. Contacts no longer disappear when zooming in and out. Better spotting of low flying aircraft, overall. The Stalingrad map is by far the worst when it comes to these issues. The Bodenplatte Map is just gorgeous! Thanks for all the hard work on these enhancements to the game! Much appreciated.

3 hours ago, H_Stiglitz said:

@Geronimo553 do you use the nvidia control panel sharpen with the latest preset?

yes, as mentioned on the other page sharpen in nvidia control panel is set to 0.80.

3 hours ago, II./JG1_Wilcke said:

Well so far this is all working very well. Contacts no longer disappear when zooming in and out. Better spotting of low flying aircraft, overall. The Stalingrad map is by far the worst when it comes to these issues. The Bodenplatte Map is just gorgeous! Thanks for all the hard work on these enhancements to the game! Much appreciated.

Things are looking far better! Now I can hone the details much better without needing to over sharpen things. I think you guys will enjoy the new version. Thank you! 

• Thanks 2

Yeah stuff is way clearer like that, using msaa gets rid of the flickering terrain and horizon, still can spot contacts at a distance of 20+km - even though you need to reeeeeeallly focus

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

UPDATE

Ok, did some alterations and I am seeking feedback. Particularly with DPX and colourfulness. I would like to know how you guys feel about them both being turned on at the same time? Are the colors too powerful and over saturated together? I found that having them both turned on does help with spotting from the more consistent sky coloring. But I definitely feel like DPX by itself looks more realistic and I have mainly been flying with it. So I feel torn, try both together or separately, then let me know your experience. 

I also lowered adaptive sharpen quite considerably. This allows planes to look "bigger" and more apparent. No longer will we need to over sharpen in order to see planes thankfully! I adjusted the strength between 0.30 and 0.40. This seems to be sweet spot in preventing the ground from turning into static fuzz. Give either value a try. With this small adjustments spotting A20s out to 8km was fairly easy.

Beta test 
il-2 Gero Visual Preference beta.rar

http://www.filedropper.com/il-2gerovisualpreferencebeta_1

Colourfulness + DPX together   (can you spot the four A20s 4km away over the airfield to the upper left of the 109?)
ZISJ0Td.jpg

Just DPX

KAsRLOh.jpg

Just Colourfulness

AcpNKZg.jpg

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 2

Been testing the 2 latest version of the preset.

I felt the new dpx values to make the game bit too bright, definitely preferring the older one. (Might also highly depend on preference and monitor)

Colorfullness not needed imo, toghether with the new dpx it makes my spotting more difficult.

for adaptive sharpen it comes down to preference, new 0.3/0.4 values compared to the 0.8 of the older preset definitely remove some „film-grain“ looks, spotting is about the same plus the game surely looks better.

for me its gonna be a mix - old preset with new sharpen values, no colorfulness

thanks again for the great work!

What preset You guys using ? Im on Low now with blurred landscape. Wondering if its possible to even more decrase render distance so even below You ground will be blurred. For me its super easy to spot sharp targets against blurred landscape

Yeah I am favoring just using DPX as the coloring looks more realistic. As for brightness @Viper_1 I do have HDR off and it looks very nice on my end.

@Ysko I'm using the settings shown in the RESHADE 2020 section of page one. 

• Like 1

yeah not using HDR as well. been running the "older" DPX preset you made combined with  around 0.60 adaptive sharpen (basically used your second to last preset and just lowered adaptive sharpen to 0.6 other than 0.8). i felt it gave me a good balance between nice looks and spotting. MSAA highly preferable since the distant flickering is just unbearable with FXAA.

overall a really good preset and a really good game update. lots more fun flying now

Posted (edited)

Are you all dropping the resolution? I dropped my res from 1440 to 1080 . . . and it helps a ton. Also dropped my preset to Low. Looks ugly as sin, but spotting is improved tremendously. I tried a step further and went to 900, but my eyeballs bled :) 1080 is a good compromise.

Edited by Lazlo

Nah i kept 1440. after all, i prefer to sacrifice a bit of spotting for some eye candy. 25km consistent vis is enough for me :) 

3 hours ago, Lazlo said:

Are you all dropping the resolution? I dropped my res from 1440 to 1080 . . . and it helps a ton. Also dropped my preset to Low. Looks ugly as sin, but spotting is improved tremendously. I tried a step further and went to 900, but my eyeballs bled :) 1080 is a good compromise.

I am still using a lower resolution yes. Until we have settings to adjust aspect ratio there is little else we can do to expand the image. But if using a higher resolution without msaa is better than a resolution lower with msaa. Welp, I am still testing that. 

Ha two different responses :) I think I may need to reset the settings to ‘default’ and find a better middle ground. 

Ladies and Gentleman,

there are sooo many options presented here on this thread - some may suit to one's systems and flavours, some may not. To me it's starting

to be like "no longer see the forest for the trees". Anyway, I tried some different things this afternoon and I followed the advise of @jokerBR

(the friendly motor biker), which you can read here:

I didn't use the NVIDIA inspector manipulation, but tried the settings with 2xSGSSAA and 2xMSAA. This works good for me and my system

can handle this without significant performance loss.

Cheerio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, -=-THERION said:

Ladies and Gentleman,

there are sooo many options presented here on this thread - some may suit to one's systems and flavours, some may not. To me it's starting

to be like "no longer see the forest for the trees". Anyway, I tried some different things this afternoon and I followed the advise of @jokerBR

I didn't use the NVIDIA inspector manipulation, but tried the settings with 2xSGSSAA and 2xMSAA. This works good for me and my system

Cheerio

I saw this posted the other day and it looks very promising. After giving all the available options a try between fxaa and msaa I am honestly not satisfied with either. So I hope this new method will provide some promising results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, -=-THERION said:

Ladies and Gentleman,

Cheerio

I feel pretty confident in saying that nvidia inspector is too outdated to change anything. I tried multiple settings at maximum 16x or 32x and saw no difference as if they were off. Currently I am playing around with FXAA x2 in the graphics menu. Still testing nvidia control panel and I don't believe it is changing much either since the game update. There are a couple key areas I look at beyond just planes at distance. Such as gunner crosshair sights, the backup sight for the 109s, and the second story guardrail in the hanger. If a setting is not good then this areas become very jagged or with the crosshair sights invisible when zoomed out.

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Upvote 2

Adding this from another post I made

Ran some more testing today. Running FXAA off produces easily seen planes with great fps, jagged edges in the cockpit, and plane flickering. 4x MSAA provides a steadier picture without flickering or cockpit jagged edges with a reduction (for me) of 50 fps. In quick match 130 fps no issue with fxaa off, 116 fps with 4x fxaa, 70 fps with 4x msaa. At this time I would not use nvidia fxaa as it shrinks the planes in all available settings.  

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Adding this from another post I made

Ran some more testing today. Running FXAA off produces easily seen planes with great fps, jagged edges in the cockpit, and plane flickering. 4x MSAA provides a steadier picture without flickering or cockpit jagged edges with a reduction (for me) of 50 fps. In quick match 130 fps no issue with fxaa off, 116 fps with 4x fxaa, 70 fps with 4x msaa. At this time I would not use nvidia fxaa as it shrinks the planes in all available settings.  

So to not use the "nvidia fxaa" as in the Nvidia Control Panel? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, II./JG1_Wilcke said:

So to not use the "nvidia fxaa" as in the Nvidia Control Panel? 

Thanks!

Exactly! That's what she meant. 

• Thanks 1

Ok the devs improved the AA algorithm today so I had to retest everything....

So far it still seems like FXAA off and MSAA 4 are the best options. I will give credit in that planes flicker less now. It seems the devs removed a blurring pass or something as I no longer see the flickering on crosshair sights either. FXAA 4 is very usable though planes can still disappear in and out. MSAA 2 is really not worth using as it looks the same as FXAA 4 with less fps. Nvidia control panel FXAA should be left off. Yes it helps with edges but it will drastically shrink the silhouette of planes. Have not tested additional settings of nvidia control panel yet like multisample. Overall the biggest improvement this patch was with MSAA 4, the second floor hanger rails are not jagged, planes are clearly presented, you can see wings at distance if the planes is horizontal, and I now recommend to use your native resolution again, as the extra pixels show benefit now.

Overall if you can run msaa 4 it will provide the best experience. But fxaa off will still be very competitive.

Additional notes

-With clouds set to high there is a drastic fps reduction. Without clouds and fxaa off I have 130 fps. With clouds and fxaa off fps drops to 50. Turning clouds down to medium fixed this and fps returned to 130. However fps dropped once fxaa 4 or msaa 4 were turned on. I did not test low quality clouds. I also think the medium clouds look better compared high because they are less like cotton. Shimmering of planes against clouds seems to be gone now this could be different in multiplayer.

Hope this helps all, I believe I have the final reshade filter complete just tweaking it. This one will be using dpx and vibrance for color. 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Upvote 3

I just had to see the cloud difference between settings. Hmm conclusion, high is very foggy and extreme looks like low. lol

Do note that fps stays pretty consistent. Though I blame this on the amount of trees nearby and msaa 4.

Extreme

Spoiler

xdD4ZPR.jpg

High - did my best to capture the fog/cloudy look. Though it is pretty consistent

Spoiler

6mPD1pq.jpg

MYJPJCC.jpg

zX6YIGq.jpg

Medium

Spoiler

rQhaa2H.jpg

Low

Spoiler

iURShcx.jpg

Bonus

Spoiler

1KoSpeq.jpg

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Thanks 1

How can i save changes to the latest version of reshade.  It says i dont have permission to save changes but ive done everything i know to give myself full rights.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:37 PM, 310th_Diablo said:

How can i save changes to the latest version of reshade.  It says i dont have permission to save changes but ive done everything i know to give myself full rights.

Err there are no permissions required. Perhaps you are on a guest account on your pc? Really not sure what this issue is, it seems like a windows lack of administrative permission to alter programs kind of problem. Other than that try to launch the game in admin mode.

explorer_CeeccJVVSZ.png.b8ce6e346ce7281fcf03bb8610dab3f7.png

Edited by Geronimo553