Geronimo553

3000 steps condensed into one simple performance guide (plus spotting)

Spoiler

Best way to improve FPS with minimal effort

A fun short guide to show the differnce of graphic settings and how they compare to high. It goes very well with this guide actually.

Storebror also created a program called FUMS. It looks interesting and I have not tested it.
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,59488.0.html

We now have a work around fix for the limited recording file size issue. This program by Storebror will auto restart the recording automatically.

For an enhanced and direct look at graphics settings and spotting, review this thread. @Tes has been kind enough to include the Reshade AdaptiveSharpen filter of this guide for comparison as well! I look forward to seeing his research continue. 

The primary thread dealing with the micro stuttering issue.

Another thread in the iL-2 forums regarding FPS and various issues.

For users with issues setting up their Thrustmaster 16000m hat button for camera control read this thread.

A decent thread regarding SSAO and HDR in the game and Reshade.

The primary thread for Reshade in the iL-2 forums

How to mute, THAT GARBLED RADIO SCREAMING!!!  See this post, is a must have game modification. Just remember it has to be reapplied after every game update.

VR filter program that allows VR users to adjust game settings and color contrast for their headset.

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf created a wonderful copy paste settings guide for VR users. Worth reading!

A highly effective guide showing what controls affect what planes. Very useful information.

Aids VR users with seeing further behind in the cockpit

A nice guide in getting trackir5's data to work with opentrack. Though the videos are not english.

Very nice explanation of how rearm/refuel functions.

Controller Support setup
(joystick will always be better but it's a great substitute until you buy one)

BONUS SECTION

additional guides + information

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Are you sure that Ultra renders buildings at smaller distance than high?

Sharpen: Makes the game look "cartoonish" sometimes, things become unnaturally crisp IMHO

Landscape filter "blurred": Covers the rendering distance perfectly. A must have IMHO.

SSAO: You forgot that this filter also greatly enhances the self-shadowing, sunlight reflection etc. inside the cockpit. If external views and spotting other planes is all you are focused on, SSAO is not for you. If correct visual representation of what you're sitting in is what you are looking for, SSAO is a must.

High Performance Powerscheme is probably something a normal user doesn't want to use all the time (without playing BoS that is).

That setting, plus the high priority process setting, plus a few others (e.g. low priority for Steam while playing BoS) can automatically be adjusted dynamically as needed by using FUMS.

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

Important about ultra preset if in use  there are less visible color banding at sky and sea. This is good for spotting. Landscape blurring filter is also need because without it there are shimmers and moving  jagged lines on terrain when looking towards horizon. Besides sharp objects like planes are more visible at blurry background.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

All in all a great guide! 

My addition would be:

Gamma to lower than 0.8 in the config helps alot for spotting too. It can make the cockpit really dark depending on the value tho.

(also set the startup.cfg to read only, once everything has been adjusted, otherwise it will get overwritten if you adjust some graphics in game).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Are you sure that Ultra renders buildings at smaller distance than high?

Sharpen: Makes the game look "cartoonish" sometimes, things become unnaturally crisp IMHO

That setting, plus the high priority process setting, plus a few others (e.g. low priority for Steam while playing BoS) can automatically be adjusted dynamically as needed by using FUMS.

Mike

I had no idea FUMS existed, thank you for sharing that creation. It looks very worthwhile in having! Also I noticed you posted a very impressive and comprehensive graphics guide/test of your own! Do you mind if I link it here so others can read it? Turning off Trilinear optimization for better FPS is intriguing and I plan to test that tomorrow. Though I am very pleased to see that most of my graphics observations noted above are indeed correct and affirmed by your results regarding their effects on performance. hehe

As for the building render distance between high and ultra. I ran each test three times to just verify this information. I honestly swear it appeared high had a better building render distance or near the same as ultra. At only 1000m and without using zoom I am entirely comparing pixel sizes of small Russian village homes at such a distances of 5-6km. To make the test accurate, zooming cannot be used as the game will render in additional landscape/buildings by doing so. I will test again tomorrow. I did not believe it myself to be honest. 

I can see your point about SSAO. However shinies in the cockpit come second to better fps and better enemy spotting in my book. However it does greatly reduce plane silhouettes over long distances and I cannot accept that disadvantage. For me SSAO boils down to, OFF I can see planes out to 9.99km and ON I can only see planes out to 7km. Very much a per person preference thing.

Also I'm tossing around the idea of sharing my reshade values. Turns iL-2 into a completely different game! (no blur everything filter like default settings and color actually has color)

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Thanks 1

Thats a nice guide, I´ll give disabling grass and HDR a shot since I have fps drops near ground with my little GTX 960.

Edited by [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

Can this topic be pinned by a mod? It might be worth it 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Geronimo553 said:

I noticed you posted a very impressive and comprehensive graphics guide/test of your own! Do you mind if I link it here so others can read it?

Just do it, you're welcome.

Thanks for all your efforts and thanks for the detailed explanation re rendering distance.

Mike

• Thanks 1

THANK YOU my game looks even better now, and also my head tracking WAS good now its GREAT CHEERS. :good:

Turn off the in game AA and sharpen, try to use Reshade FXAA/Adaptive Sharpen/Clarity/Colorfulness/HDR, you'll get higher fps.

Using reshade and i‘m very happy with it. Gives the stuff some color, instead of some grey-ish vintage look :) 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Just do it, you're welcome.

Thanks for all your efforts and thanks for the detailed explanation re rendering distance.

Okay, today's testing of trilinear optimization and ultra/high building render distance has been concluded. With TO off, I found an observed loss of at least five fps at all times and up to ten fps lost when zooming in the camera at other planes flying. Turning TO on provided a fps increase of the previous numbers at all times. This was done swooping down to flying targets from above/behind as they flew 500m from the ground. So ground detail and texture was added into the process. I did try turning threaded optimization to auto instead of on and so far I see no changes. 

As for building render distance, I have altered my data as this distance is difficult to see the difference between ground 3d models and the terrain. I feel confident in that buildings on ultra disappeared between 6km and 6.5km at some point. High setting renders buildings out to 6km. Trees seem to be the biggest negative impact on performance with such settings so high is definitely the preferred choice. 

I also noted today, an increase of 10-20 fps when bailing out of planes. I believe this is caused by the cockpit view in planes. Cockpits have very high detailing compared to the outside of planes and the player is surrounded by reflective glass filled with shadows. Perhaps much of lag issues are caused in this particular area due to all the additional processing involved. I would like if we had options to disable or adjust some of the detail level in the cockpit to net better performance.

Thanks for the permission to share your performance guide. I believe many people will find it intriguing to study.  

Edited by Geronimo553

8 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

I also noted today, an increase of 10-20 fps when bailing out of planes.

Cool feature! Now i know how to increase FPS 😄 

. ..I plan to finish the graphics segment soon then begin on controls sensitivity and opentrack segments next. Stay tuned for more information as I continue to update this thread!! Lots more to come. ...

Reallt looking forward to this as well. Many thanks.

Edited by Luger1969

23 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

**reserving post** 

Thanks for remembering me

That maintenance screen is cool.  I thought you'd done it when I first saw the screen preview

Great job.  If i can help in anyway PM?

10 hours ago, Luger1969 said:

Reallt looking forward to this as well. Many thanks.

Thank you I’m glad the effort of spending so many hours typing and testing for this thread has not been a waste. Is there anything perticular you are wanting to see?

(This question can extend to anyone else as well if they have requests)

9 hours ago, Sublime said:

Thanks for remembering me

That maintenance screen is cool.  I thought you'd done it when I first saw the screen preview

Great job.  If i can help in anyway PM?

Sadly I’m not the creator of such a gorgeous maintenance page. Though whom ever designed it is definitely a classy person. I thought it was very fitting for this thread.

If I come up with something for you to test I will let you know! Thanks 

Thank you Geronimo, now the FPS is suddenly not falling from 60 to 17 during a bomb explosion or the appearance of dust and smoke, now it is jumping 190-50.

Edited by 8ELT_Grzesiek

First thank you @Geronimo553 for the time taken. It'll help a lot of newcomers and existing players i think. For and my I5/1080 combo on a 60hz TV i use the games Vsync. Im very intolerant of unevenly paced frames. Since my rig doesnt drop below 75fps when unfettered at my TVs poxy 1080p (most often the frames are up in the 150 plus) resolution no matter what, I have the luxury of not having to worry about  "Vstink" chopping my frames in half whilst at the same time limiting the engine output to save a little stress on my GPU. Ive always found frame limiters to be a very "numb" tool in comparison to vsync also. There is a little lag but im playing on a TV and Online mostly so lag/ping is a factor anyhow. 

I did a similar thing for Clod after Blitz and posted in the ATAG forums as the level of BS settings being posted (still) was bugging me. I looked at some other Nvida panel settings in there also but whilst they did have some effect, that effect was rarely ever needed or an improvement. 

Second Thanks to Mike @SAS_Storebror for FUMS. This is something i can use for lots of things. 

• Like 1

Yes, thanks for all the tips and tricks to get the best performance/experience mix @Geronimo553. I'm still on the settings you posted in an earlier thread which boosted my frame rates around 50% with no really discernable impact on graphics quality and I will definitely tune some more based on this additional info later on when I get the time. It's great to get these kind of tips on what the different parameters do and how to combine them! :good:

I would like to know what benchmark mission @Geronimo553  is using and how did he log the outcome of his testings. 

Even an quick mission in the lonely sky is always generating a flight in a random direction, a benchmark mission should always be the exact the same, otherwise you can not compare.  

Copy/paste from Gamer Nexus about this: If the tester is performing a manual benchmark, it is critical to the benchmark's reproduction that the same map, location on the map, and game events are experienced in each test pass. By introducing complex combat elements and dynamic events, the tester runs the risk of invalidating results.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:56 AM, Dutch2 said:

I would like to know what benchmark mission @Geronimo553  is using and how did he log the outcome of his testings. 

Even an quick mission in the lonely sky is always generating a flight in a random direction, a benchmark mission should always be the exact the same, otherwise you can not compare.  

Copy/paste from Gamer Nexus about this: If the tester is performing a manual benchmark, it is critical to the benchmark's reproduction that the same map, location on the map, and game events are experienced in each test pass. By introducing complex combat elements and dynamic events, the tester runs the risk of invalidating results.

It isn’t possible to make a benchmark in IL-2 from what I’ve tried. Active gameplay will perform differently from a recorded track. Tracks seem to be just recordings without active physics and AI, they give you a higher FPS than running live. That explanation seems to make sense. It’s possible to run simple live missions like a free flight. But combat that involves AI would give you different results every time. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, Oyster_KAI said:

Turn off the in game AA and sharpen, try to use Reshade FXAA/Adaptive Sharpen/Clarity/Colorfulness/HDR, you'll get higher fps.

Ran a few tests with your suggestions today. Here are the results.

Adaptive sharpen - avg of 5-10 fps loss compared to the 10-15 lost from default sharpen

Clarity - avg loss of 15 fps compared to default settings. I love the look clarity gives the game but this is as worse as running default sharp and hdr. I suggest to use Curves instead as the fps lost is about 5 for the nearly the same result.

Colorfulness - avg loss of 1-2 fps. Well worth having as it revamps the game coloring!

HDR (fakeHDR) - avg loss of 6 fps compared to the loss of 15 for default HDR. Gives the game a very dark blacks almost like low gamma.

I've been using reshade for several years now and I was using finesharp. Adaptive sharpen has the same results for much less fps loss.  I will add these findings to the reshade section once I type it. Working on the results first. =p

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

It isn’t possible to make a benchmark in IL-2 from what I’ve tried. Active gameplay will perform differently from a recorded track. Tracks seem to be just recordings without active physics and AI, they give you a higher FPS than running live. That explanation seems to make sense. It’s possible to run simple live missions like a free flight. But combat that involves AI would give you different results every time. 

If I quote his remark about his benchmark he is using i’m afraid that aspect of benchmarking could be improved: all testing was conducted and observed on the Kuban map in summer at the Krasnodar multi fighter quick mission at 1000m. 

I’m also afraid he is only testing the overflowing of his lowrange GTX960 and using only his ingame FPS counter as an visual log to determine his performance. 

Yep @SharpeXB you are right the use of an video recording as Chilly did, is also not the perfect way to go, but that also count for an clean and lonely  single quick mission that I earlier wrote down. 

I have noticed that the first mission from a scripted campaign “ fire and ice”  from @NETSCAPE   is rather  equally at the start . Direct after I start, I push in auto pilot, and do my recording in FRAMETIMES until the 4 planes are in the air. Maybe we need some fine tuning on that mission like, lesser performance load or  a signal generated by an flare, on when to start the recordings. We could always ask @NETSCAPE for additional aspects. 

But anyway why not try it and let me know, I still think this is the best ingame benchmark we have right now. 

@Geronimo553 I think you do a great job, I hope hope you do take my remarks not as an attack on you, as I’m not that great in English writings, If so let me know. 

Edited by Dutch2

2 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

If I quote her remark about her benchmark she is using i’m afraid that aspect of benchmarking could be improved: all testing was conducted and observed on the Kuban map in summer at the Krasnodar multi fighter quick mission at 1000m. 

I’m also afraid she is only testing the overflowing of her lowrange GTX960 and using only her ingame FPS counter as an visual log to determine her performance. 

@Geronimo553 I think you do a great job, I hope hope you do take my remarks not as an attack on you, as I’m not that great in English writings, If so let me know. 

You are more than welcome to include your own findings here. No one else has attempted a "what works best" or "what does this do" guide of this type until I created this thread. The purpose of this thread is to give people a firm idea of what to expect when configuring their game to achieve better fps and I never attempted to say the results are absolute. But I have shared what I know and what I have found from playing the game for a number of years. The problem is, iL-2 is a nightmare to setup correctly and a weekend project for a new person to understand and configure correctly. Hence why I made this thread, to assist such people in an easy to understand format of setting up the game. In the current state, this thread is incomplete and still in the progress of being crafted and I have also outline the work in progress status as well. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Also, as I stated above, the render distance data is approximate and not an exact result. Which for you, the fps and benchmarking seems to be your focal point of issue for some reason. You are welcome to spend the hours/days of testing it requires to produce the specific analized results you request. My findings above for the low/balanced/high/ultra section took the better part of four hours the first day and two additional hours the next day to double check the results in order to provide the data above. I will also add that, many people are using a "lowrange gtx" card to play this game and the game has constant problems with stable frame rates and smooth gameplay through the whole gtx 960-1080 line up. Which such information of how to fix issues is scattered across dozens of threads and forums spanning well over five years. So my "lowrange" range card is far from the only card that seeks better performance in the game. The above information I posted can and will assist people in better frame rates or understanding how poor performance problems occur in this game. Plus a few insights of common or not so common problems and how to fix them.

Personally I do not completely trust game recordings as a form of propper gameplay analysis as many gameplay aspects (such as detail load caused by camera zoom) cannot be accounted for correctly. Hence why I would play the same quick mission from the same start location multiple times with various AI flying around as a better test platform. 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Upvote 4

Realize when you are running a mission with many other aircraft it’s likely that the bottleneck is your CPU

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

You are more than welcome to include your own findings here. No one else has attempted a "what works best" or "what does this do" guide of this type until I created this thread. The purpose of this thread is to give people a firm idea of what to expect when configuring their game to achieve better fps and I never attempted to say the results are absolute. But I have shared what I know and what I have found from playing the game for a number of years. The problem is, iL-2 is a nightmare to setup correctly and a weekend project for a new person to understand and configure correctly. Hence why I made this thread, to assist such people in an easy to understand format of setting up the game. In the current state, this thread is incomplete and still in the progress of being crafted and I have also outline the work in progress status as well. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Also, as I stated above, the render distance data is approximate and not an exact result. Which for you, the fps and benchmarking seems to be your focal point of issue for some reason. You are welcome to spend the hours/days of testing it requires to produce the specific analized results you request. My findings above for the low/balanced/high/ultra section took the better part of four hours the first day and two additional hours the next day to double check the results in order to provide the data above. I will also add that, many people are using a "lowrange gtx" card to play this game and the game has constant problems with stable frame rates and smooth gameplay through the whole gtx 960-1080 line up. Which such information of how to fix issues is scattered across dozens of threads and forums spanning well over five years. So my "lowrange" range card is far from the only card that seeks better performance in the game. The above information I posted can and will assist people in better frame rates or understanding how poor performance problems occur in this game. Plus a few insights of common or not so common problems and how to fix them.

Personally I do not completely trust game recordings as a form of propper gameplay analysis as many gameplay aspects (such as detail load caused by camera zoom) cannot be accounted for correctly. Hence why I would play the same quick mission from the same start location multiple times with various AI flying around as a better test platform. 

Yep tweaking this game is indeed very difficult, labor intensive  and in VR this is  even more difficult. I know the influence at different adjustments can not be done when you have somewhere a bottleneck in your hardware. As I’m facing the same in my benchmark testing. 

To compare apples with apples you will need, in my vision: 

1). A mission that’s generating always the same load and never overstresses your hardware, we are not going to test hardware but the effect of adjustments. An quick mission like in BoS that has lots of random aspects or a recorded video is not suited.

2). A logging tool that does registration of frametimes, you want to see not only fast times but also straight FT.Watching FPS in BoX screen is only interesting if the difference is very high, some difference in FPS you published can not be detected without logging. 

Here FT vs FPS https://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

3). High resolution snapshots, why forcing your system to an high load, if the effects are hardly to see. 

Testing should be done well and be verified by facts. Avoid aspect from your “belly” like from  @Sneaksie  about adjusting screen resolution for VR, it has zero impact and at lowest settings it can block your mouse pointer. 

Setting the resolution in game settings to a low setting like 1024x768 or even less may significantly improve your performance in VR (VR resolution is fixed and won't change, but the game will spend less time drawing its window on the monitor). 

And if being obsolete it needs to be deleted, otherwise it is miss leading for newbies. 

Mmmm I notice you did made some subtle changes in my reply, sorry. 

Hi Geronimo.

Thanks for asking.

1. Control sensitivities. I see today there is a post abt this again.

I guess hearing what others do is always good.

2. Opentrack. My trackir croaked. So i bought a delanclip..a year ago. What i did with trackir is i used profiles that i found in the forum and adjusted. Bhh also has a big post here on opentrack. I would welcome any inputs that you have also on the setup of axis etc.

Many thanks.

Edited by Luger1969
  • Like 1

Updated the main post by beginning the Reshade section and added three threads into the Bonus section.  

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

Updated the main post by beginning the Reshade section and added three threads into the Bonus section.  

Hi mate,

many, many thanks for your great effort in consolidating all the tips and tricks to maintain or increase the performance of this great sim.

Thank you.

Cheerio

A small option , before Reshade 3.08, we can turn off in game AA without crash in loading screen.
Whether FXAA or SMAA,they are friendly to fps.

Finally updated the Reshade section. I only need to post the filter values and it should be complete. Then I will move onto the sensitivity section. Also I updated the bonus section as well. 

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, Rekt said:

This particular tip really helped me a lot - Thanks!

Trackir can cause stutter lag with high sensitivity settings/movement, when looking around. Screen tearing can also occur with high sensitivity settings. Be sure to set the ingame camera smoothing to at least 72 if you encounter this problem. I personally prefer 85 with my trackir settings.

Is there a screenshot of which slider this is exactly. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, TunaEatsLion said:

Is there a screenshot of which slider this is exactly. Thank you.

Here you are:

918299879_Camerasettings2_2019.thumb.jpg.5987dc5947f629d15edd90b1d0fbe568.jpg

1 minute ago, -=-THERION said:

Here you are:

918299879_Camerasettings2_2019.thumb.jpg.5987dc5947f629d15edd90b1d0fbe568.jpg

Got it.

Just another 'tip' to help finesse the quality vs performance of the game: you can edit the config file for the presets and get things dialed in a little better.

The file is not visible by default (needing to be unpacked) but here is mine that you can copy and save as gpresets.cfg. It goes in the data/LuaScripts folder.

Spoiler

//******** Preset 0 ************
[preset=0]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=1
    land_textures=1

//Quality
    shadows_quality=1
    shadows_dynamic=1,false        //Quality, InGameEnable, Smooth
    reflection=2
    grass_quality=5
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=0
    smooth_effects=false
    clouds_quality=1

//Distance
    objects_distance=0.5
    landscape_mesh_quality=0
    forest_distance=1

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=false
    post_hdr=0
    post_motion_samples=0;
    saturation=1.0

//Screen depth, SSAO, SSR
    depth_res=1
    ssao_res=-1
    ssao_samples=0
    ssr_samples=0

clouds_samples=64

effects_samples=0.25
[end]

//******** Preset 1 ************
[preset=1]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=0
    land_textures=0

//Quality
    shadows_quality=2
    reflection=3
    grass_quality=5
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=1
    clouds_quality=1

//Distance
    objects_distance=1.0
    landscape_mesh_quality=0.5
    forest_distance=2

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=false
    post_hdr=3
    saturation=1.0
    post_motion_samples=16;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=-1
    ssao_samples=0
    ssr_samples=20

clouds_samples=64

effects_samples=0.5
[end]

//******** Preset 2 ************
[preset=2]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=0
    land_textures=0

//Quality
    shadows_quality=2
    shadows_dynamic=1,false,true        //Quality, InGameEnable, Smooth
    reflection=3
    grass_quality=7
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=1
    clouds_quality=2

//Distance
    objects_distance=1.0
    landscape_mesh_quality=0.75
    forest_distance=3

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=true
    post_hdr=3
    saturation=1.0
    post_motion_samples=20;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=1
    ssao_samples=12
    ssr_samples=24

clouds_samples=64

effects_samples=0.75
[end]

//******** Preset 3 ************
[preset=3]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=0
    land_textures=0

//Quality
    shadows_quality=2
    shadows_dynamic=2,true,true        //Quality, InGameEnable, Smooth
    reflection=3
    grass_quality=7
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=1
    clouds_quality=2

//Distance
    objects_distance=1.0
    landscape_mesh_quality=1.0
    forest_distance=5

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=true
    post_hdr=4
    saturation=1.0
    post_motion_samples=24;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=1
    ssao_samples=16
    ssr_samples=30

clouds_samples=96

effects_samples=1
[end]

//******** Preset 4 ************
[preset=4]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=1
    land_textures=1

//Quality
    shadows_quality=1
    reflection=1
    grass_quality=3
    forest_quality=0
    landscape_parallax=0
    clouds_quality=2

//Distance
    objects_distance=0.5
    forest_distance=2

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=false
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=false
    post_hdr=0
    saturation=0.9
    post_motion_samples=0;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=-1
    ssao_samples=0
    ssr_samples=0

clouds_samples=32

effects_samples=0.5
[end]

The original file only had the four presets, I added the fifth at the end (so that the originals remained unmolested) and then altered the line "preset = 4" in my startup.cfg file (under the graphics subsection).

I mark my startup.cfg as read only for various other changes, not sure if this change requires it or not.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hellequin13 said:

The file is not visible by default (needing to be unpacked) but here is mine that you can copy and save as gpresets.cfg. It goes in the data/LuaScripts folder.

The original file only had the 3 presets, I added the fourth at the end (so that the originals remained unmolested) and then altered the line "preset = 4" in my startup.cfg file (under the graphics subsection).

I mark my startup.cfg as read only for various other changes, not sure if this change requires it or not.

Hmm very interesting, without the ability to unpack files I have often wondered if such configuration files existed. Many thanks for sharing this!!

Do you know if the depth of field blur is tied to the post process or screen depth section? Perhaps we can turn it off using this gpresets config. 

Edited by Geronimo553

On 6/4/2019 at 4:33 PM, Hellequin13 said:

Just another 'tip' to help finesse the quality vs performance of the game: you can edit the config file for the presets and get things dialed in a little better.

Spoiler

//******** Preset 0 ************
[preset=0]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=1
    land_textures=1

//Quality
    shadows_quality=1
    reflection=2
    grass_quality=5
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=0
    smooth_effects=false
    clouds_quality=1

//Distance
    objects_distance=0.5
    landscape_mesh_quality=0
    forest_distance=1

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=false
    post_hdr=0
    post_motion_samples=0;
    saturation=1.0

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=-1
    ssao_samples=0
    ssr_samples=0

clouds_samples=64

effects_samples=0.25
[end]

//******** Preset 1 ************
[preset=1]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=0
    land_textures=0

//Quality
    shadows_quality=2
    reflection=3
    grass_quality=5
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=1
    clouds_quality=1

//Distance
    objects_distance=1.0
    forest_distance=2

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=false
    post_hdr=3
    saturation=1.0
    post_motion_samples=16;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=-1
    ssao_samples=0
    ssr_samples=20

clouds_samples=64

effects_samples=0.5
[end]

//******** Preset 2 ************
[preset=2]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=0
    land_textures=0

//Quality
    shadows_quality=2
    reflection=3
    grass_quality=7
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=1
    clouds_quality=2

//Distance
    objects_distance=1.0
    landscape_mesh_quality=0.75
    forest_distance=3

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=true
    post_hdr=3
    saturation=1.0
    post_motion_samples=20;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=1
    ssao_samples=12
    ssr_samples=24

clouds_samples=64

effects_samples=0.75
[end]

//******** Preset 3 ************
[preset=3]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=0
    land_textures=0

//Quality
    shadows_quality=2
    shadows_dynamic=2,true,true        //Quality, InGameEnable, Smooth
    reflection=3
    grass_quality=7
    forest_quality=1
    landscape_parallax=1
    clouds_quality=2

//Distance
    objects_distance=1.0
    landscape_mesh_quality=1.0
    forest_distance=5

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=true
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=true
    post_hdr=4
    saturation=1.0
    post_motion_samples=24;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=1
    ssao_samples=16
    ssr_samples=30

clouds_samples=96

effects_samples=1
[end]

//******** Preset 4 ************
[preset=4]
//Textures settings
    Filter=3
    texmipdown=1
    land_textures=1

//Quality
    shadows_quality=1
    reflection=1
    grass_quality=3
    forest_quality=0
    landscape_parallax=0
    clouds_quality=2

//Distance
    objects_distance=0.5
    forest_distance=2

//Post effects
    post_effects_enable=true
    post_bloom_enable=false
    post_contrast=true
    post_sharpen=false
    post_drops_enable=false
    post_hdr=0
    saturation=0.9
    post_motion_samples=0;

depth_res=1
    ssao_res=-1
    ssao_samples=0
    ssr_samples=0

clouds_samples=32

effects_samples=0.5
[end]

The original file only had the four presets, I added the fifth at the end (so that the originals remained unmolested) and then altered the line "preset = 4" in my startup.cfg file (under the graphics subsection).

Thanks.  This is great. Can you say in broad stroke of the pen, how the numbers relate to the quality of setting?  Some go below 1, like .5, etc.  Others are 1,2,3.  While others are going up to 30.  Have you been able to digest these into a general pattern as it relates to quality? Just to get me started.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

At a guess I would say it is in the last section under //Screen depth, SSAO, SSR. Perhaps try setting depth_res to 0 or -1