Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Issue with Rift S - no display after closing and launching Home

Having issue with my new Rift S I got hooked up today.
Everything was fine and it worked quite well, put headset up and closed Oculus Home.
Noticed the light in headset was still white and the blue light on front of headset was still illuminated.

Put headset back on, Oculus Home opened on desktop and I had audio, but no video.
Could not get video back until I restarted the computer.

After restarting the computer, put headset on and Oculus Home launched and I had display in headset again.
However after taking headset off and putting way, again same as above - lights stayed on , got audio but no video in headset.

It would seem after first use, any subsequent uses end up with no display in headset and have to reboot the PC to get it working again.
Headset shows green and connected in Oculus Home desktop app.

Edit: When Rift S set aside and Home closed , blue light on front does go out - light in headset remains white.
So currently after using one time and closing Home, subsequent use will give no display unless PC is restarted. I tried just restarting the Oculus Service, and that did not get it to work. Only reboot would.

CV1 black screen is quite common terminology by now. Let's hope they don't bring that over to S.

1 hour ago, HunDread said:

CV1 black screen is quite common terminology by now. Let's hope they don't bring that over to S.

Ironically I never had that issue with the CV1.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Ironically I never had that issue with the CV1.

I really hope you are not starting it now with the S.

So far I've had one replacement CV1 and two replacement cables. All of these caused black screens to some extent.

3 minutes ago, HunDread said:

I really hope you are not starting it now with the S.

So far I've had one replacement CV1 and two replacement cables. All of these caused black screens to some extent.

For now I am just leaving Oculus Home running and minimized during the day, long as I don't close it and then open it again in same session it is fine.

I am still more than thrilled with my Rift S.

Maybe a future Oculus software update will take care of it.

I will be sending feedback on this to Oculus.

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Maybe a future Oculus software update will take care of it.

Probably this is it. It's very new tech after all.

Hmmm, methinks Big Brother does not want us to shut down Oculus Home, ever.

Remember last year it was possible to run SteamVR without Oculus Home in the background. Not anymore.

Now they've simply gone a step further.

16 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Hmmm, methinks Big Brother does not want us to shut down Oculus Home, ever.

Remember last year it was possible to run SteamVR without Oculus Home in the background. Not anymore.

Now they've simply gone a step further.

I don't think that has anything to do with it as it appears to work properly for many others.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dburne said:

I don't think that has anything to do with it as it appears to work properly for many others.

it seems a common issue

Edited by Nibbio

I have the same issue. Sometimes had to plug out/in the USB cable to get a picture...weird

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nibbio said:

it seems a common issue

Yeah there are more and more reporting it now.

1 hour ago, SYN_Vander said:

I have the same issue. Sometimes had to plug out/in the USB cable to get a picture...weird

I have found if I restart the Oculus service twice it comes back for me.

Hopefully Oculus will get it figured out and a fix pushed out soon.

Edited by dburne

*** Mine is Fixed ***
Apparently mine was in the headset connection.
I removed the faceplate, and pulled the connector out.
I then re-seated it firmly - got to really push it in till it locks in place.
I also unplugged and re-plugged my USB 3 and Display Port connector on the PC.

I have now taken the headset off, closed Oculus Home, put headset back on and display comes back on every time!
I did this ten times, worked each time - woohoo!
Guys - if you are having the same issue, do the above.

Update:

It was false alarm, has been doing it again.

Hopefully Oculus gets this figured out and a fix out soon.

Probably a firmware fix.

I am just leaving Oculus Home minimized during the day after I first use it and while computer is on.

Another update:

It seems now I have finally found the issue and resolved it!

So I had a look in my motherboard manual, and checked out the USB 3 ports I have on it.

I had both ASMedia 3.1 Gen 2 Type A ports, and Intel USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports.

The Rift USB I had plugged in the ASMedia port.

So I swapped it out with the mouse I had plugged into the Intel port, put he headset USB into the Intel USB 3.1 port.

Everything appears perfect now! I have taken the headset off over a dozed times, closing Oculus Home each time, and put it back on and it has come back

on every time,

Looking very promising so far! Course I thought I had it once before and did not, so time will tell - but I have very optimistic this time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Another update:

It seems now I have finally found the issue and resolved it!

So I had a look in my motherboard manual, and checked out the USB 3 ports I have on it.

I had both ASMedia 3.1 Gen 2 Type A ports, and Intel USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports.

The Rift USB I had plugged in the ASMedia port.

So I swapped it out with the mouse I had plugged into the Intel port, put he headset USB into the Intel USB 3.1 port.

Everything appears perfect now! I have taken the headset off over a dozed times, closing Oculus Home each time, and put it back on and it has come back

on every time,

Looking very promising so far! Course I thought I had it once before and did not, so time will tell - but I have very optimistic this time.

Thanks for continuing the updates. Too many criticize when products don't work correctly, either due to real issues or self induced ones. Not everyone corrects the record.

4 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Thanks for continuing the updates. Too many criticize when products don't work correctly, either due to real issues or self induced ones. Not everyone corrects the record.

Glad to - still working beautifully on this end.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 6:00 PM, Dutch2 said:

I did have more a less the same only I was experiencing an loud static sound from my O+ while playing BoX, so I was forced to use my headphones. After searching I did notice that MSI does have a special VRsoftware calling Xboost and as hardware one dedicated for VR USBport, that is controlled by an VRboost chip thats according to MSI: When using a VR headset, you want to have a smooth experience. Traditional USB ports can suffer signal drops, significantly impacting performance of connected devices. VR Boost is a smart chip that ensures a clean and strong signal to a VR optimized USB port, giving you an enjoyable VR experience.

This VR USBport in combination with MSI Xboost software tool did solve my static noise audio problems with the O+ 

MSI owners think it is worth to check your mobo manual for the VR capability. 

On 5/27/2019 at 1:27 AM, dburne said:

Glad to - still working beautifully on this end.

Great it now working fine as I had the same Audio USB issue as you can read. 

At the start of my O+  “adventure “  I did also have Another problem regarding the USB connecters that my Headset was not being recognized even getting the last drivers from MSI did not work. So strange but after deleting all the USB drivers the Windows update did get me the working one. 

Edited by Dutch2

44 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Great it now working fine as I had the same Audio USB issue as you can read. 

At the start of my O+  “adventure “  I did also have Another problem regarding the USB connecters that my Headset was not being recognized even getting the last drivers from MSI did not work. So strange but after deleting all the USB drivers the Windows update did get me the working one. 

Unfortunately it reared it's ugly head again - working with support now on the issue.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, dburne said:

Unfortunately it reared it's ugly head again - working with support now on the issue.

I do hope its not the new Windows update. I do read some VR issues seems to be related to that 1904 update. 

Edited by Dutch2

My Rift S arrived today.

Apart from the fact that the first USB port I tried gave me a black screen, it's been working fine the last 2 hours.

Sweet sweet upgrade. So much clearer that CV1!

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

I do hope its not the new Windows update. I do read some VR issues seems to be related to that 1904 update. 

It's not. I had the same issue with the previous Windows version, just grabbed the new one last Thursday.

The issue with 1904 is audio issue in Oculus Home, no sound for Home ambient sound and a couple of Home experiences.

They say it is fixed and will be coming with a Windows update.

Edited by dburne

Well after struggling with black screen issues since getting my Rift S, it has now officially died.

I was working with Oculus Support on the black screens but man the time between correspondences is brutal.

Thankfully I purchased through Amazon Prime , going to return for replacement. Will give it one more shot.

22 minutes ago, dburne said:

Well after struggling with black screen issues since getting my Rift S, it has now officially died.

I was working with Oculus Support on the black screens but man the time between correspondences is brutal.

Thankfully I purchased through Amazon Prime , going to return for replacement. Will give it one more shot.

So they have really managed to implement the CV1 black screen feature to Rift S.

I'm sorry for you. I hope you will get your replacement soon.

If you plan to go back to CV1 while you are waiting, would you mind sharing your impression? I often noticed that an upgrade (of any kind) really starts to stand out if you have to go back to the previous version. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, HunDread said:

So they have really managed to implement the CV1 black screen feature to Rift S.

If you plan to go back to CV1 while you are waiting, would you mind sharing your impression? I often noticed that an upgrade (of any kind) really starts to stand out if you have to go back to the previous version. 

Sure will - yeah I will be hooking it back up probably a little later today, can't go for very long without VR lol.

I know I will really miss that image clarity with the S.

Edit: Ugh, Amazon showing availability between June 18th and July 2nd, so in for a bit of a wait.

Edited by dburne

I had black screen issues when I disabled rift s mic and speakers from Windows. It must be enabled ,however I can use desktop speakers by default

6 minutes ago, Hartigan said:

I had black screen issues when I disabled rift s mic and speakers from Windows. It must be enabled ,however I can use desktop speakers by default

I would encourage anyone having any black screen issues intermittently to go ahead and return for replacement if can.

I wish I had done so from day 1. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, HunDread said:

Ok so got the CV1 hooked back up, and of course it is just rock solid as it always has been for me.

Image clarity is definitely better in the Rift S, that is where it really shines. Not by a leap by any stretch, but some improvement - actually more

than I thought it might have based on specs.

FOV - Pretty sure Rift S has a slightly smaller horizontal FOV than the Rift. Vertical it has a little more, though really what does vertical help, 

horizontal is where it really matters. Not a lot , but a small amount. Not enough to bug me. Some others it might.  Some of this too

depends at least a little on how close you can get the lens to your face with the adjustment.

Sweet spot - Rift S maybe a little better than Rift, not a lot there either though. You can see a little more blur out toward the edges in the Rift S versus CV1, 

but I don't really see that as an issue as I am turning my head to look rather than just my eyes. 

The overall big difference is the image clarity, and at very little cost in performance due to the lower refresh rate of the Rift S.

I will sum it up like this - so my Rift S died and being sent back for replacement. It is not like oh my gosh I just can't game in CV1 any

more now that I have see the Rift S. No I can quite nicely.  I will also welcome my replacement and look forward to gaming with the better

clarity again when I do eventually get it.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for that back to back comparison Dburne. May I ask what your preferred ipd setting is with the cv1? It could very well be the reason for the perceived smaller horizontal fov.

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek

36 minutes ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Thank you for that back to back comparison Dburne. May I ask what your preferred ipd setting is with the cv1? It could very well be the reason for the perceived smaller horizontal fov.

Hmm I will have to check that out, been so long since I did the adjustment I can't recall.

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Hmm I will have to check that out, been so long since I did the adjustment I can't recall.

You can get the data easily from the startup.cfg file

3 minutes ago, HunDread said:

You can get the data easily from the startup.cfg file

:dash:

Update.

My Rift S is not dead.

On a whim I removed the Rift S from the devices in Oculus Home. 

I then did a repair of Oculus Home. It proceeded to prompt me for firmware updates again.

Now it is working.  Will see if the black screen issue returns. I will leave the return authorization from Amazon open for a few days in case.

From what I've heard (and this is unreliable internetz info) these black screen issues could be related to power consumption and a motherboards ability to deliver the same through a usb port. If you have anything unnecessary connected it could be worth a try disconnecting it.

1 hour ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

From what I've heard (and this is unreliable internetz info) these black screen issues could be related to power consumption and a motherboards ability to deliver the same through a usb port. If you have anything unnecessary connected it could be worth a try disconnecting it.

Yeah I found that out last night.

I am running two monitors. On a whim I decided to unplug my secondary monitor and see what happens.

So I shut down the PC, unplugged that second monitor, and booted back up.

Voila! The Rift S worked beautifully each time. I closed Oculus Home and put headset back on and it launched every time I tried it.

I then hooked back up the secondary monitor, and the black screen came back after first use of headset. Unplugged that monitor again 

and it worked great each time again. Shut down the system and tried again several times, each time working properly.

I posted this on the Oculus Forums last night and saw this morning another individual also tried it after my posting and the same

thing worked for him also.

So apparently my Rift S does indeed work properly. Just not with my second monitor plugged in. I have sent this info to Oculus on my support ticket.

May try plugging that monitor into my C-Port on 2080 Ti and see if it will work properly in that configuration.

Also I have moved my secondary monitor to the C-Port on my 2080 Ti.
All indications are the Rift S is working properly without black screen now with two monitors!

I would note my secondary monitor uses HDMI connector, however I was using an adapter to hook it into display port on my GPU. ( I did try hooking it directly to HDMI on GPU but issue persisted).
So plugging it into the HDMI port on my C-Port adapter, and running through it, appears to have solved the black screen issue with two monitors running for me.

Will report back if the issue does happen again throughout the day.

Well after about a day of working perfectly, the black screen issue came back in full force.

Just logged on to my Amazon Prime account which I had already requested to return and replace a few days ago.

Turns out the replacement in fact has already shipped and is due for delivery today! They were originally showing

delivery to be between the 12th and 30th.

So at least I will have a new headset sometime later today, after thinking it would be a couple weeks or so. I did not want to go 

back to CV1 again after experience the image clarity of the Rift S. 

Keeping fingers crossed this new one does not have the same issue.

• Like 1