taffy2jeffmorgan

two questions, German/Russian fighters

[1] This may have been asked, but what are the spade like handles that protrude from the instrument panels on the MIg/Lagg and Lav fighters ! are they for clearing and cocking the breaches for the nose mounted guns and [2] jettersing the cockpit hood of the 109's , i can see the long red painted handle just above the throttle lever which i imagine is pulled to get rid of the hood, but is this whipped off by the slip stream or are there explosive bolts to blow it clear ? 

Cheers

1 hour ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

[1] This may have been asked, but what are the spade like handles that protrude from the instrument panels on the MIg/Lagg and Lav fighters ! are they for clearing and cocking the breaches for the nose mounted guns and [2] jettersing the cockpit hood of the 109's , i can see the long red painted handle just above the throttle lever which i imagine is pulled to get rid of the hood, but is this whipped off by the slip stream or are there explosive bolts to blow it clear ? 

Cheers

On the 109, springs pushed it out the slipstream, actually. The 190 had a sort explosive cartridge to get rid of the canopy. Slipstream took care of the rest.

20 minutes ago, VO101Kurfurst said:

On the 109, springs pushed it out the slipstream, actually. The 190 had a sort explosive cartridge to get rid of the canopy. Slipstream took care of the rest.

"Attention hood ejection by explosive charge"

Fw Canopy.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm by no means an expert, so if I should be wrong anybody is free to correct me, but if I connect all the dots correctly, the 'spade like' handles in the Russian fighters are to clear the guns' breaches in case of a failure of the plane's power system.

As long as the engine is running, the guns are cleared via electric power, you can see the little switches flick when you clear the guns.

When the engine is off, the wooden handles are being pulled when entering the command to clear the guns.

3 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

[1] This may have been asked, but what are the spade like handles that protrude from the instrument panels on the MIg/Lagg and Lav fighters ! are they for clearing and cocking the breaches for the nose mounted guns 

Yes, for MG or cannon reloading. In soviet manuals you will find it as "рукоятки перезарядки пулеметов/пушек"

1 hour ago, Brano said:

Yes, for MG or cannon reloading. In soviet manuals you will find it as "рукоятки перезарядки пулеметов/пушек"

I suppose this would make sense as a back up if the electrical circuit was damaged, it just seems something from a bygone age and for a modern fighter, what about British/German and American fighters ?

15 minutes ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

I suppose this would make sense as a back up if the electrical circuit was damaged, it just seems something from a bygone age and for a modern fighter, what about British/German and American fighters ?

IIRC there was no reloading option for the Spitfire, guns were cocked on the ground. 

On the 109 recharging of the guns happened automatically, iirc via pneumatic charge. Exception being the early MK 108 installation, where it had to be recharged manually with a button on the stick. 

US fighters, no idea. 

5 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

Fw Canopy.jpg

Holy Moly, I've been looking at that Achtung! on flight sims for 20 years and always wondered what it was for.

The odd toggles you are talking about in Soviet fighters are for the pneumatic systems that work the guns in case of some failing, yes. On some planes they are replaced with red turn handles. In some cases, like on the PE2 there is an extra one for fire suppression systems. A screen shot should clear this up finally though, most of the things are labeled.

When the Smithsonian was restoring their 190 they found a live canopy ejection round.😲

Thanks guys, this forum never fails to amaze with the amount of knowledge that i can tap into,    I can explain now with confidence when asked about those spade handles

Cheers.

21 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

Fw Canopy.jpg

Mehh who reads large and obvious labels anyway. lol

18 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

As for soviets, original BS 12,7mm had only mechanical reload thru cables/levers. This proved to be physically difficult for pilot to operate, especially in the heat of aerial combat. Berezin installed pneumatic piston to reload in his further improved UB version. There are drawings available of MiG-1 showing this mechanical reload on pre-war BS. I didnt have time to find out, if this mechanical system was left there as back-up after pneumatic reload has been introduced in UB. Need to check UB manual.

Japanese single engined fighters (including late war birds) by design specifications had to have nose weapons accessible via pilot to clear the jams or recock them.

A6M2:

image.png.d24ecb966405c5047f824d834c007847.png

Ki-61 (guns missing):

image.png.6fc879d40ea5778905a45bd1297200ad.png

Even late war Ki-84 (empty port gunport visible):

gbr1.JPG

image.png

F4F Wildcat has a handle for charging guns on the floor on the right side of the pilot's seat.

See this vid at 3:00 

• Thanks 1