BartimeusUruk

109's offset reticle with TrackIr

Hy guy's,

Since I have my TrackIr (DIY) I am using the X translation (with the TrackIr) instead of the dedicated action in the controls option to get aligned with the reticle.

My questions are quite simple:

Are you using the TrackIr to get aligned with the reticle ? or the dedicated action ? And why did you choose to do so ?

Thanks in advance,

Have a good flight !

Bartimeus D'Uruk

Posted (edited)

I setup default view with shift to reticle (new center) plus use small dead zone in the center for better aiming (steady focus).  How to change center , just hold kp key 5 and use home del insert ,pgup pgdown and mouse  to move view  then press F10 and realise kp key5.  Use dedicated key just for zoom in/ out - you can have it progressive or instant , depends of camera speed and inertia settings.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

I set up my default head position in the middle of the canopy and a bit higher up than default, which means i am not aligned with the gunsight. This just because it is easier for me to look around. To get a sight picture i have to lean a bit to the right and slightly forward.

I‘m using an edited version of sheriffs TIR5 profile.

And no „new center“ setting. The center view for TIR5 snaps me back to my default head position.

Hy,

First of all, thanks for your answers !

307_Tomcat great setup ! (seems quite complicated though lol ^^), do you still have the immersion added by head tracking using also keys ? 

=FC=SteelFalcon  your setup is kind of similar to mine ! But i am using the default height … Those it really makes a difference ? What are the advantages and the drawbacks ?

Thanks again to both of you ! (And every other that might join ^^)

see you in the air !

Bartimeus D'Uruk  

@BartimeusUruk keys are just for zoom or snap views ( like instant 180 degree view) . This is not complicated , everyone need to use it to setup default view.

The advantage of having a higher up default head position is mainly for looking around you. Especially for your 5 to 7 o‘clock. Also you can see your nose better, making shooting easier in turns and keeping track of a plane when pursuing him.

the drawback is that to aim down sight you will need to move your head slightly to get a full sight picture. However it is easy to get used to that (with the right TIR5 setting it‘s absolutely no issue).

The other drawback it that you cannot see the low positioned instruments when looking straight ahead. You will have to look down a bit. But the most important instruments are up top anyway, so no big drawback at all.

experiment a bit with head position high/low and also further front/ further back. Find a spot where you can look around those window bars (especially in the G2 / G4 / G6 as they have 2 vertical bars on the side). Early models and late models are not so painful regarding window bars imo.

Lookin over thisthreads give me apetite to experiement. Curently i have my head position in the cockpit on marcos allocated to my warthog's china hat.  So if i press it forward, my head moves forwardin the cockpit for as long as i hold it and then it "sets" that as my current default once i release the button. Same in reverse. I might look at expanding this to the up and down as well although i already have 5 and 7 oclcock sanp views assigned to the hat on my stick. 

Some great suggestions and resoning here. Thanks

2 minutes ago, SCG_BOO said:

So if i press it forward, my head moves forwardin the cockpit for as long as i hold it and then it "sets" that as my current default once i release the button.

That is very interesting. Never heard of anything like that.

about up and down: i don‘t think you‘ll use it as often as forward/backwards. Once you find the „sweetspot“ where you get your optimal view outside and on crucial instruments, you‘ll not touch it anymore (if you use TIR5 of course). Without TIR5 i can imagine it to be quite useful however, as sometimes you wanna really peek over that nose to see something there. Or get a different angle to check your close and far 5/7 positions.

Hy,

@307_Tomcat Yeah, I didn't understood that on my first reading of your post. But after your new explanation I read it again and yes in the end this is quite simple. (btw it remembered me the time i was playing with the keyboard ^^) 

@SCG_BOO Your setup is quite interesting to ! As my gladiator hat switch isn't used for now, I'll try to setup it like you did with yours !

@=FC=SteelFalcon Thanks for your detailed answer, I'll try to setup my head slightly above the default center !

As always thanks again ! 

If some people out there have other setup, please let us know ! 

See you in the air !

Bartimeus D'Uruk 

On 5/21/2019 at 5:35 AM, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

I set up my default head position in the middle of the canopy and a bit higher up than default, which means i am not aligned with the gunsight. This just because it is easier for me to look around. To get a sight picture i have to lean a bit to the right and slightly forward.

I‘m using an edited version of sheriffs TIR5 profile.

And no „new center“ setting. The center view for TIR5 snaps me back to my default head position.

I tried the slightly higher but didn’t like it in the long run. I too, however, shifted my head position to center of the AC and lean right to get behind the sight in all German AC. I use the TiR center button and no new center. I hate flying a virtual plane off center. It feels foreign to me.

• Upvote 1