blue_max

name label distance and other MP issues

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker here. I've finally convinced my friends to buy a copy of il-2 so we can dogfight a bit for fun (we used to do it a lot with the original il-2 when we were still much much younger and had much much more time). So the basic objective is to get into the air, find each other asap, and spend as much time as possible dogfighting without much down-time. Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble... hopefully someone can help me figure this out:

- the labels are only show when you're quite nearby (still ok) and the name of your opponent only shows when you're super nearby. That's no fun. I don't want to spend 10 minutes chasing a plane only to discover it was a random AI and not my friend I've been taunting. Is there a way to make it so that you can see from much farther away who is who? This is super critical to our enjoyment tbh, partially because of the second point:

- there are hardly any missions available for MP! And because there is quite a lot of AI activity in the one example dogfight mission, this leads to the problem above.

- the example co-op mission does not allow respawns :( believe me, we need respawns.

- I tried to download some missions, but they all seem to involve pretty long transit times, which isn't really something my goldfish-attention-span friends are up for.

I understand we could probably fix some of these issues by designing our own missions, but we are all super busy, so that's not going to happen unfortunately. Suggestions for existing missions are more than welcome :)

Cheers!

Benjamin

Posted (edited)

If you join a server, you can then use that servers mission when you host for your friends. So long as you aren't publicly hosting the server, I'm sure people won't mind you using others missions like that. The Berloga (sp?) server should have a mission that will meet your needs. Just join it once and then you can select the mission next time you host. 

Edited by [DBS]Browning

Ah great advice, thanks! And what about the label naming distance thing?

Cheers,

Benjamin

Icons (labels) are a fixed thing and cannot be changed.  Personally I would like them to be (very much) shorter distanced and only friendly units would have them, this was a very popular way to set them up in the old days.

• Upvote 2

Ah too bad. I understand that the more hardcore players would prefer it that way, but us dirty casuals just want to find each other asap ;) It would really be best if the devs just add an option for label distance pop-up. Can't be too complicated code wise.

2 hours ago, blue_max said:

Ah too bad. I understand that the more hardcore players would prefer it that way, but us dirty casuals just want to find each other asap ;) It would really be best if the devs just add an option for label distance pop-up. Can't be too complicated code wise.

Your best bet would be to join the Berloga server and spawn in the "Duel Zone", which provides 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 dogfight scenarios with no AI to get in the way.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Your best bet would be to join the Berloga server and spawn in the "Duel Zone", which provides 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 dogfight scenarios with no AI to get in the way.  

@blue_max In addition to this, if you wanted to fly with icons on all you need to do is join the Berloga server once. This will download the mission used for it, so then you can quit and start your own server privately with your desired difficulty settings for you and your friend to practice together (using icons on if you liked) using the dogfight mission you just downloaded.

This way you don't have to deal with the mission editor.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Icons (labels) are a fixed thing and cannot be changed.  Personally I would like them to be (very much) shorter distanced and only friendly units would have them, this was a very popular way to set them up in the old days.

Not much of a MP player myself, but I too feel weird about knowing from afar who some far-away plane is, if it is friendly or not, and what kind of plane it is.

In essence I am asking for the ability to configure the icons any way the individual server host/mission builder would like.  Options are a good thing, and open doors to a larger player base, unhindered by the hegemony of the super hard core players that currently are driving the direction of the sim.  Not a slam at anyone either.  You like full difficulty, fine, no problem.  You like every aid and all settings as easy as possible, OK by me, you want something in the middle?  Great.  

Making more players happy should be the goal, rather than saying "it's my way or the highway, n00bs".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, danielprates said:

Not much of a MP player myself, but I too feel weird about knowing from afar who some far-away plane is, if it is friendly or not, and what kind of plane it is.

I agree, but what is noce is knowing who the pilot of a plane is when you are very close to a friendly plane. It makes teamwork much better in multiplayer.

Edited by [DBS]Browning

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, SYN_Requiem said:

@blue_max In addition to this, if you wanted to fly with icons on all you need to do is join the Berloga server once. This will download the mission used for it, so then you can quit and start your own server privately with your desired difficulty settings for you and your friend to practice together (using icons on if you liked) using the dogfight mission you just downloaded.

This way you don't have to deal with the mission editor.

@blue_max If you do this you need to port forward your router for others to see you server.

I have just got a new router and need to do this again but I have forgotten the settings. Can somebody please point me the direction of the port forwarding setting.

Thanks 

Edited by AeroAce

3 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

@blue_max If you do this you need to port forward your router for others to see you server.

I have just got a new router and need to do this again but I have forgoten the settings. Can somebody please point me the direction of the port forwarding setting.

Thanks 

28000 TCP/UDP

28100 UDP

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, JimTM said:

28000 TCP/UDP

28100 UDP

Thanks.

Do you know if there is a way to check if your server is actually up and that other can see it? Because if you direct host you cant see the server list.

Also Im sure there were 4 ports to open the last time I tried this. Can you confirm it was just them?

Edited by AeroAce

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

Thanks.

Do you know if there is a way to check if your server is actually up and that other can see it? Because if you direct host you cant see the server list.

Also Im sure there were 4 ports to open the last time I tried this. Can you confirm it was just them?

The only way that I know of to check whether your server is up is to ask someone else to check.

The two ports I gave are all that I need. Some people need port 80 and perhaps other ports for some reason.

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

In essence I am asking for the ability to configure the icons any way the individual server host/mission builder would like.  Options are a good thing, and open doors to a larger player base, unhindered by the hegemony of the super hard core players that currently are driving the direction of the sim.  Not a slam at anyone either.  You like full difficulty, fine, no problem.  You like every aid and all settings as easy as possible, OK by me, you want something in the middle?  Great.  

Making more players happy should be the goal, rather than saying "it's my way or the highway, n00bs".

Hear hear blitzpig! It's a small change but it would make all the difference for me and my group of friends.

• Upvote 2

Sadly I have been asking for custom icons since day one and the devs have never commented on it.

• Thanks 1

Maybe if we just keep this thread alive, someone will see it eventually ;)

The devs probably think they need to keep making new things to bring in the $$$, but me and my friends bought a whole bunch of modules just to play a couple of hours, but I don't think we'll continue splurging if they don't improve the basics of low entry barrier MP a bit.