Sign in to follow this  
seafireliv

[Suggestion]VR movement outside to inspect aircraft?

Ok, VR is very interesting.

I landed after a mission and thought, "Wouldn`t it be nice to walk around my aircraft and inspect it?" Then it dawned on me to just stand up physically and walk out, which I did! I actually got to look at my Spitfire from the outside, which was very nice. I could even look down the runway.

However, I`m the same  level as the plane when I should be on the ground. Also I can`t walk all the way AROUND it cos the room isn`t big enough.

How about implementing a basic button press to step out on the ground of the aircraft and simple moves (via VR controllers and keyboard) so we can virtual walk about the aircraft? Skyrim VR has a simple button press to get off and on your horse and stroke the round pad to walk about.

Also vanish the pilot model when we are outside in this mode.

This could also be done for  2D non-VR users too so they can walk outside their aircraft and inspect it. I wanted to do this even before VR was a thing.

Edited just now by seafireliv

4 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

Then it dawned on me to just stand up physically and walk out, which I did! I actually got to look at my Spitfire from the outside, which was very nice.

that sounds like a nice bug that will be exploited / is probably being expolited by VR users to look "through" the headrest in flight to check 6 easier. or in extreme, clip through the airframe to look around you, giving an unfair advantage.

however, getting out of the plane on the ground would be a nice feature, i agree on that

I also want the posibility to inspect my plane, even if it's with fixed cameras.

In multiplayer, normally external views are not allowed, and I would like to make a vuisual inspection before take off, for checking rockets and bombs.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

that sounds like a nice bug that will be exploited / is probably being expolited by VR users to look "through" the headrest in flight to check 6 easier. or in extreme, clip through the airframe to look around you, giving an unfair advantage.

however, getting out of the plane on the ground would be a nice feature, i agree on that

Well, I can actually stick my head out of the cockpit with the cockpit closed in VR in my Spit. Not very immersive. I only just got VR and I never saw anyone mention this. I supposed that could be used as a cheat too.

However don`t worry, you`re at no disadvantage online (at least if there are no icons)... VR resolution is quite low (which no one ever mentioned), so you`re actually at a pretty big disadvantage as a VR user. Sticking your head slightly out the window doesn`t make up for it at all..  If I flew online i`d use Trackir cos it`s that bad for spotting aircraft.

Edited by seafireliv

1 minute ago, seafireliv said:

Well, I can actually stick my head out of the cockpit with thecockpit closed in VR in my Spit. Not very immersive. I only just got VR and I never saw anyone mention this. I supposed that could be used as a cheat too.

However... VR resolution is quite low (which no one ever mentioned), so you`re actually at a pretty big disadvantage. Sticking your head slightly out the window doesn`t mnake up for it at all..  If I flew online i`d use Trackir cos it`s that bad for spotting aircraft.

Well i'm not saying that it is beneficial for spotting due to the lower resolution, but the possibility to put your head outside even when canopy is closed is pretty stupid. It can be very beneficial in a situation where you have an enemy in gun range on your 6 to see when he is about to shoot. You wont need to bank left and right just to look if he has a guns solution, thus making evasive maneuvers alot easier and you can keep your own energy better this way.

That may sound very situational, but it is stupid in every way, giving an unfair and very unrealistic advantage. I cannot stick my head outside with TIR5, as it blocks me at the glass / headrest and so it should behave in VR aswell.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, =FC=SteelFalcon said:

Well i'm not saying that it is beneficial for spotting due to the lower resolution, but the possibility to put your head outside even when canopy is closed is pretty stupid. It can be very beneficial in a situation where you have an enemy in gun range on your 6 to see when he is about to shoot. You wont need to bank left and right just to look if he has a guns solution, thus making evasive maneuvers alot easier and you can keep your own energy better this way.

That may sound very situational, but it is stupid in every way, giving an unfair and very unrealistic advantage. I cannot stick my head outside with TIR5, as it blocks me at the glass / headrest and so it should behave in VR aswell.

It would be physically quite uncomfortable though... remember in VR we have to physically move quite far in VR, like full shoulder, neck movement, not so in Trackir. Doing that and flying would be quite hard. But perhaps they will fix the extremes.

I really don`t want to get off topic though.

Edited by seafireliv

There is a checkbox to limit VR movement wich is on on most almost every server that limit's the views to the cockpit view. It limits you to the exact box that 2D players have and if you move your head further you will drag the cockpit with you. This stands even for cockpit's like the JU-88 where you think you could lean to the side to better se the instruments that the gun blockt or move the head down to see what's infront of you. So if you want to tryhard the Owlneck Track-ir ist still the way to go. 

On the main question: Yes it would be nice, but i don't think it would be worth the time to develop. On servers with outside views, you can just go to the f2 view and move the camera around. Otherwhise we may have to wait for a crossover with Plane Mechanic Simulator.

• Upvote 1