Sign in to follow this  
seafireliv

VR- best settings for this sim?

Ok, yes, in the end I forked out the cash for a Vive...Sold a few bits of artwork.

Ran it in IL2 and it`s nice to see things in a true-to-life way... well almost....

What few mentioned was the resolution. I fly exclusively no icons... How does anyone spot aircraft in this mode- and even bomb ground targets? Does anyone have advice on improving the resolution for flying and fighting?

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

Picking up a vive in 2019 was your first mistake.

I will say if you can still return it do, and get yourself a newer HMD.

Edited by JgonRedcorn
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Picking up a vive in 2019 was your first mistake.

Exactly....the VIVE 1st generation is not the best HMD nowadays and the resolution will never be great or enough!

I upgrade always to a new HMD when an upgrade is available....that´s why I upgrade now from an Odyssey plus to the HP Reverb, the Reverb will have the best resolution available NOW and I hope my PC can handle it. Screenresolution is key for a clear picture for sims and the Vive can definitely not deliver.

Look for upgrades, like most do.

• Thanks 1

Check out subforums, there is a thread somewhere how to get best performance in VR, lot of guys with various pc configurations posted their settings.

Take some of those tips and spend some time tweaking till you find best solution.

When i bought Rift my friend helped me to setup VR and steamVR app settings.

But don't expect fidelity you had on destop monitor, overall spotting is much harder in VR but you'll get used to it.

I hope you went for "Vive pro" otherwise new Oculus Rift-S is much cheaper and better resolution/performance choice than first Vive.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Was frustrated in VR until I applied these settings plus the mod:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, seafireliv said:

Ok, yes, in the end I forked out the cash for a Vive...Sold a few bits of artwork.

Ran it in IL2 and it`s nice to see things in a true-to-life way... well almost....

What few mentioned was the resolution. I fly exclusively no icons... How does anyone spot aircraft in this mode- and even bomb ground targets? Does anyone have advice on improving the resolution for flying and fighting?

Thanks in advance.

I'd advise reading through the 2 stickied posts on VR settings. Some good tips in there to get the most out of VR.

Playing full real in VR is a challenge because of the ability to spot. Definitely more of a challenge in VR vs a monitor for spotting

I have a Rift but fly almost exclusively with a monitor over VR. But then VR is nice to go up in every now and again.

And nice to see you're sill about Peace

Steve  (Brigstock)   :)

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, J2_SteveF said:

I'd advise reading through the 2 stickied posts on VR settings. Some good tips in there to get the most out of VR.

Playing full real in VR is a challenge because of the ability to spot. Definitely more of a challenge in VR vs a monitor for spotting

I have a Rift but fly almost exclusively with a monitor over VR. But then VR is nice to go up in every now and again.

And nice to see you're sill about Peace

Steve  (Brigstock)   :)

Yea been doing research on it which helps. It gets better. Thanks.

Good to see you`re still around too, m8. And no, you`re not too old! ;)

p.s thanks to everyone else here as well.

Edited by seafireliv
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Coming from the Rift and now the Odyssey plus.....spotting other aircraft in VR is really hard and due to the low resolution of those 1st Gen HMD´s it is a real disadvantage online compared to others playing on a 4k screen.

Due to that I would be happy if there would be dedicated servers for VR players only.....NO Screen players allowed. Would be interesting to see the difference.

Just opened a poll for that....

I get mostly shot down quickly during online fights, because I am still not sure is it friend or enemy and then I get the first hits already. So I am really hoping for the Reverb.

Edited by spitfirejoe

Those 4k HMDs sound amazing... I heard they work with VIve satellites too.

I use a vive pro and with the 3dmigoto mod and I feel like I’m outspotting my squad mates who are on monitors. Takes a little tweaking but once you get it worked out you’ll be much more competitive. 

2 hours ago, 334th_Five-O said:

I use a vive pro and with the 3dmigoto mod and I feel like I’m outspotting my squad mates who are on monitors. Takes a little tweaking but once you get it worked out you’ll be much more competitive. 

Yes. And no matter how high-res new HMDs will be, VR will never be competitive as long as monitor users have that (5-10x ?) zoom slider while VR has that very poor 2x toggle zoom. This is what the 3dmigoto addresses in the 1st place.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HunDread said:

Yes. And no matter how high-res new HMDs will be, VR will never be competitive as long as monitor users have that (5-10x ?) zoom slider while VR has that very poor 2x toggle zoom. This is what the 3dmigoto addresses in the 1st place.

No only that but pancake screeners have fake head turning with trac ir to the 6

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, HunDread said:

Some do extremly well in VR - look @  StaB/Tomio_VR***  , He have many 5+ kills per sortie and good k/d overall . This all in Wings of Liberty

Edited by 307_Tomcat

23 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Some do extremly well in VR - look @  StaB/Tomio_VR***  , He have many 5+ kills per sortie and good k/d overall . This all in Wings of Liberty

I'm sure he is using the 3d migoto mod. With that, it is competitive. With default implementation it is far from it.

1 hour ago, HunDread said:

I'm sure he is using the 3d migoto mod. With that, it is competitive. With default implementation it is far from it.

Pugviking uses a rift without the mod and somehow gets tons of kills, I am usually identifying for him though lol.

15 minutes ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Pugviking uses a rift without the mod and somehow gets tons of kills, I am usually identifying for him though lol.

He must be seeing the matrix inside the headset then. Only explanation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HunDread said:

Talon is also very good, and he can ID without the mod. It's the whole "literally years of practice" thing. Knowing what to look out for, where enemies are likely to be, whether they are likely enemies from their behavior/stance, etc etc.

10 hours ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Talon is also very good, and he can ID without the mod. It's the whole "literally years of practice" thing. Knowing what to look out for, where enemies are likely to be, whether they are likely enemies from their behavior/stance, etc etc.

Who knows if he would be twice as better with same zooming capability as monitor users?

But actually my point is merely that higher res HMDs alone will not make VR compatible. People waiting on that should also consider looking into setting up 3dmigoto. I'm fine with it and not looking for Devs to implement anything as long as we have lefuneste with us dedicating his time developing the mod, especially after patches.

I would very much rather like Devs to look into the crap-clouds-on-balanced issue.  

• Upvote 2

Isn't spotting challenging in IL-2 in general to begin with, i.e. also on the flat screen, especially at high res? I recall continues ranting on this topic on the forums with cons showing up out of nowhere, disappearing etc. 

In my experience spotting is not harder in VR, especially not against the sky as background. This depends on the SS value as higher SS hurts spotting ability.

It's the identification that is very hard with the default VR implementation.

Ok, on id'ing I would tend to agree, but with the zoom mod it is really the same level as with the screen. Id'ing is also only partly based on what you actually see. It is always a combination of other factors such as location, altitude, direction, current maneuvers etc. So a con on deck in a tight turn would probably is going to be red plane vs. a zooming out con at high speed which is probably a blue one... 

5 hours ago, HunDread said:

But actually my point is merely that higher res HMDs alone will not make VR compatible. People waiting on that should also consider looking into setting up 3dmigoto. I'm fine with it and not looking for Devs to implement anything as long as we have lefuneste with us dedicating his time developing the mod, especially after patches.

I would very much rather like Devs to look into the crap-clouds-on-balanced issue.  

Lefuneste's mod is a great piece of work, but it breaks every time the devs change shaders, which they do as a normal part of their development process. 3D Migoto is an aftermarket mod that requires a huge amount of time from one single person to make VR usable for the rest of us. If Lefuneste got bored or life stuff came up and got in the way of doing the mod, we'd all be screwed.

Asking the developers to do basic things like have a VR zoom that is actually useful (more zoom please!) and have a game where the rendering works correctly (we want to see a/c in front of clouds please!) isn't too much to ask. I think it's dangerous to say that because we have Lefuneste we're good. We're in a precarious situation.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Jason and the developers are doing good work, and they are concentrating on big ticket items that sell copies of the game and keep their income stream going, and that's the right thing. But VR is an increasingly important part of what simulators are about. When Jason and the devs go to trade shows, they take the game in VR to show it off. Now that they have motion simulator support I expect they'll be looking at taking a motion rig to trade shows too. These are technologies that sell the game and have a 'wow' factor and I think continuing to develop them is important.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alonzo_LW said:

Lefuneste's mod is a great piece of work, but it breaks every time the devs change shaders, which they do as a normal part of their development process. 3D Migoto is an aftermarket mod that requires a huge amount of time from one single person to make VR usable for the rest of us. If Lefuneste got bored or life stuff came up and got in the way of doing the mod, we'd all be screwed.

Asking the developers to do basic things like have a VR zoom that is actually useful (more zoom please!) and have a game where the rendering works correctly (we want to see a/c in front of clouds please!) isn't too much to ask. I think it's dangerous to say that because we have Lefuneste we're good. We're in a precarious situation.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Jason and the developers are doing good work, and they are concentrating on big ticket items that sell copies of the game and keep their income stream going, and that's the right thing. But VR is an increasingly important part of what simulators are about. When Jason and the devs go to trade shows, they take the game in VR to show it off. Now that they have motion simulator support I expect they'll be looking at taking a motion rig to trade shows too. These are technologies that sell the game and have a 'wow' factor and I think continuing to develop them is important.

I totally agree with you. It would be nice and fair to have a zoom implementation on par with monitor users. We can't expect lefuneste to do this forever. I am ok without dev work only as long as the mod is working. When it stops working I'll definitely put IL-2 on the shelf until VR receives the same conditions in competitiveness as monitor users.

Also with the new headsets with stronger hardware requirements it becomes more and more important to be able to reduce the load on hardware and be able to play on balanced. So fixing those nasty clouds seems more important to me at this stage. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/22/2019 at 10:05 AM, HunDread said:

Who knows if he would be twice as better with same zooming capability as monitor users?

I don't need it to be honest. The new Rift S is more than clear enough for me to do well

32 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

I don't need it to be honest. The new Rift S is more than clear enough for me to do well

Ok, I respect it that you don't need it. 

But let me be clear on my point: monitor users have an advanced zoom feature, VR has an inferior zoom feature. VR users get by however they can or want, (I use the mod, you use your skills) but the fact still remains true.

Just imagine what would happen if (for a fun test from tomorrow) a random half of the monitor users could only fly with a 2x toggle zoom and the other half with the good old fancy zoom. 

12 hours ago, HunDread said:

But let me be clear on my point: monitor users have an advanced zoom feature, VR has an inferior zoom feature. VR users get by however they can or want, (I use the mod, you use your skills) but the fact still remains true.

Monitor users have a better zoom? What mod?

10 hours ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

Monitor users have a better zoom? What mod?

Yes much better. 3dmigoto mod compensates for VR