Sign in to follow this  
Blitzen

Great Battles developers its probably too late to use this but..

Posted (edited)

News from the late Paul al;len's Flight Heritage & Armor Museum here in Washington...a pretty amazing all new full sacle Ju-87.I've heard recently that hey are trying to locate a wartime " Jerico's trumpet "  somewhere! I suppose it they can make a full scale Stuka they can make one of the sirens as well?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

unnamed (10).jpg

unnamed (11).jpg

Edited by Blitzen
added info
  • Like 3

that looks amazing! I wonder... Do we have modern Stuka sirens at all? The ones I can hear in movies and such is usually either from old footage, or recreated in a program... Not sure about the one in Dunkirk but that sounded awesome. 

Posted (edited)

The one used in Dunkirk was made special for the film because the siren sound is overused in media whenever a plane is pointing towards the ground. Because of this everyone is used to the sounds and, just like in real life with soldiers hearing it, it ceases to be scary.

Edited by SqueakyS
  • Like 1

That definitely looks like an interesting project. Maybe they can find the parts but they are going to need to find an old preserved wreck for something complete. Most likely a lake find would do.

They have the money & have searched the world...maybe Russia will come through.I think they would be happy just to get engineering drawings at this point & cobble one together themselves.

They are not “making” a Stuka, but restoring one as is always the case with their artifacts. I doubt they will make a siren as that’s typically not how they go about things.

A person from Germany in Aidenbach, had a propeller sirene offered. Unfortunately it is not in the offer

jericho-trompete-fahrtwindsirene-foto-bild-123850005.jpg

On 5/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, Blitzen said:

News from the late Paul al;len's Flight Heritage & Armor Museum here in Washington...a pretty amazing all new full sacle Ju-87.I've heard recently that hey are trying to locate a wartime " Jerico's trumpet "  somewhere! I suppose it they can make a full scale Stuka they can make one of the sirens as well?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

unnamed (10).jpg

unnamed (11).jpg

This actually an original Stuka that is being restored to flight status 

I was told it was more of a re-make than a re-build..so a matter of semantics I guess.

It’s a restoration - there’s no such thing as a “remake” as such.

Posted (edited)

Here are pics from November when they unveiled the project, note the original pieces next to the new construction especially the wings: 

webP1030186.jpg

webP1030189.jpg

webP1030205.jpg

Edited by Aeglos

Well I was misinformed....

"What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?” “…My health, I came to Casablanca for the waters.” “The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.” “...I was misinformed.”

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

There is like a 40min presentation on their Facebook page which goes through the restoration process. They got most of the parts from 12 stukas, including 10 jumo211 of which will help them make complete 1 engine. They had to ladar scan the only complete B model at the Chicago museum as most plans do not exist. It's a good presentation worth a watch.

Edited by Tyberan

I had no idea it was from 12 different aircraft...then that is sort of a "remake" as per Blitzen. :)

This reminds me of that Guy Martin TV program, where he helps restoring a Spitfire. At the end, the airplane was 1% original and 99% newly manufactured parts.

Great documentary though. Lots of assembly explained in detail, with original techniques too. 

I am reminded of the various rebuilds of the very collectible Jaguar D’s.There are now more “originals” than were built.This is because wrecked cars were scavenged & sometimes two cars were built from the remains ,spares from the factory, and newly made parts.I think there were ever all “original” Shelby Cobras made from spares at the factory long after production had ended. Its difficult to put a label on what to call these cars...rebuilt,remade, cobbled together,pirated,refreshed,previously one now two, reborn,refreshed?

In the case of this Ju-87,I honestly don’t care what it is labeled,I just love the idea that after much money and much work we’ll have a full scale Stuka to look at.Good news surely!

• Upvote 1