hnbdgr

non-invasive mods?

Hi All, 

Looking for a list of non-ivasive mods, that is mods that can be used online. 

Currently I use 

Banding (fixes gradients in sky)

Smoke Draw (Draws smoke infinite distances, works great, no fps hit)

Historical Markings 

But these presumably don't get accepted in Multiplayer?

As far as I know, there are only two servers accepting mods - and one of them is password protected. So, not much of choice here.

Perhaps it's too early at the moment, having mods on MP right now, because the main game is still in development and some issues

covered by some of the mods might be addressed in the future by the developers themselves.

Mods would be more popular if we can have same server browser for both mods on and off servers. Restarting the whole game to check if there is somthing intresting will never work.

• Upvote 4

There is also reshade 3.0. It really helps to make the game look 100x better.

• Upvote 2

Yes I use the latest reshade, works fine as long as I have in-game AA turned on. It doesn't help too much with the spotting (a bit with reshade gamma and clarity) but as far as visual aesthetics it's very pleasing to look at. 

The smoke drawing distance mod is really cool though.  On the Stalingrad map you can land at pitomnik or further even and still see the smoke stacks on the horizon. 

On 20/05/2019 at 23:54, Geronimo553 said:

Il y a aussi Reshade 3.0. Il est vraiment utile d’améliorer 100 fois le jeu.

Hi 

More info please? 

I believe this topic covers some of it: 

Other than that - latest release won't work unless you also have 2x or 4x AA enabled. Not sure why but that's how it is. You may experience the odd crash on loading, but generally they are rare. 

There's a lot of tutorials online instructing on how to use reshade and by and large the process is the same with every game. The idea is to use 4-5 shaders max for minimal fps impact and maxium graphical improvement. You can also change gamma this way (if you don't want to do it in game)

Posted (edited)

RESHADE works 100% Great with IL2 (with windows 7!!)

But No point updating it then as the updates offers no upsides..
use older reshade 3.0+ and it works 100% fine and you can use it WITHOUT ingame MSAA (which is high cost low quality method)
and just use the SMAA in Reshade as it improves spotting quite a lot,(as evidenced by the pic below, also has less frame rate impact.)

Left runway is stock game with MSAA 4 x spotting a plane from 9.5km above.
Right runway only change is MSAA 4 x turned off and RESHADE SMAA ULTRA PRESET turn on.

This was my own He-111 parked on the runway
i then zoomed out from until it De-Rendered at 9.50km then i moved back a little both were exactly 9,450m
qrkpd2.jpg

There is a Clearly Notable difference at first glance.
SMAA Blurs the image slightly to make it smooth without Jagged edges.
(blurring the edge of an image increases the number of pixels for the object, more pixel means easier to spot at range,)

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

Interesting, is there a downloadable SP mission for spotting purposes? Like where you spawn in the air and  there's 10 contacts spaced out 1km apart? 

5 minutes ago, hnbdgr said:

Interesting, is there a downloadable SP mission for spotting purposes? Like where you spawn in the air and  there's 10 contacts spaced out 1km apart? 

rather complex way of doing it..

just turn on markers pause game then Slew camera until it shows the distance.
eg you look at enemy plane then pause game and move camera away until it vanish and note the distance.

or just look at your own plane in external camera and move it 9.5km away.

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 11:43 AM, hnbdgr said:

Banding (fixes gradients in sky)

Smoke Draw (Draws smoke infinite distances, works great, no fps hit)

Historical Markings 

But these presumably don't get accepted in Multiplayer?

On 5/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, -IRRE-Therion said:

As far as I know, there are only two servers accepting mods - and one of them is password protected.

Hi. 

The password protected server could well be the DangerDogz one that I fly on as DD_Sid. We have flown this server with mods on for pretty much all of the time mods have been available. We have no standard mod set that we use on GBS, unlike our IL2-46 evenings where issues occur so mods are limited.

I fly with these, and they are also popular with most Dogz:

Historically correct German official skins

4K Normalmaps

4K default skin replacements

Correct Awards

Draw Distance and emitters

Polished canopies

GUI background mute

I have flown with:

Navigator Mod

Pilot in cockpit

Sound-Adj-Mod

but don't use them at the moment as they didn't suit me at the time.

I am not aware of any issues caused by mods used by other Dogz flying and using the same or different mods on the server together. We are so used to flying with mods our server is always 'mods on' as we like to try different effects, enhance and test things a bit.

Hope this helps.

Cheerzen

Sid

Edited by SidtheGit

Oh cool, so how does this work - can I enable any mods? Presumably none of the mods give a competetive advantage right? 

Also where do I ask for the password?

many thanks!

Posted (edited)

You can enable any mods at the moment on our server. If a mod does cause an issue then it could be disabled. None of the mods appear to give a competitive advantage as they are visual effects. There are many different sized monitors amongst us, some fly with VR, so if someone has an easier job spotting aircraft or objects it isn't a problem. We fly mostly for fun and banter and do include a bit of teamwork so advantages are shared really. If you are flying on there alone then who cares if you have an advantage over AI, we certainly don't.

Are you familiar with installing mods via JSGME? All of the mods we use can be installed using this very reliable software. You don't have to use JSGME, we use it because if a mod creates an issue it's easy to uninstall it.

With regard to the password, pop over to the DangerDogz and say hello. There is a thread for introducing yourself. We don't want a life history, just hello, say where you heard about us and that you'd like to fly on our server, perhaps even on our GBS evening. The Dogz will welcome you and give you the password. We are a very friendly pound and run a relaxed kennel.

We use Teamspeak for comms.

Any questions, just PM me. 

Cheerzen

Sid

Edited by SidtheGit
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

RESHADE works 100% Great with IL2 (with windows 7!!)

But No point updating it then as the updates offers no upsides..
use older reshade 3.0+ and it works 100% fine and you can use it WITHOUT ingame MSAA (which is high cost low quality method)
and just use the SMAA in Reshade as it improves spotting quite a lot,(as evidenced by the pic below, also has less frame rate impact.)

Left runway is stock game with MSAA 4 x spotting a plane from 9.5km above.
Right runway only change is MSAA 4 x turned off and RESHADE SMAA ULTRA PRESET turn on.

This was my own He-111 parked on the runway
i then zoomed out from until it De-Rendered at 9.50km then i moved back a little both were exactly 9,450m
qrkpd2.jpg

There is a Clearly Notable difference at first glance.
SMAA Blurs the image slightly to make it smooth without Jagged edges.
(blurring the edge of an image increases the number of pixels for the object, more pixel means easier to spot at range,)

4 x AA in game

image.png.671e5923423408a5634b8fedb7ac6cbe.png

Edited by 307_Tomcat