Jump to content
Han

Developer Diary 223 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Screens of the 262 make me think it only has a 2k textures.... Would I be correct?

 

Nope

On 5/17/2019 at 11:19 AM, LukeFF said:

Sure thing. :) Unfortunately, sometimes bad info is repeated for many years before new research comes and corrects old mistakes.

 

Just to add to this, so people know there is a good source for the cannon / armor mods being chosen for the Me 262:

 

On the 20th [of November], the Gruppe (I./KG 51) reported that 12 of its 47 aircraft were the four-cannon model but that two guns had been removed 'for the moment' to save weight. By mid-December, II./KG 51 was being told to fit all four cannon and two bomb racks but no armor plate. 

 

-Kampfflieger Volume 4

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I redact my statement then. 😊 Text on the aircraft on the screens looked like that on old 2k textures is all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

 

Yes, and they apparently don't even know how some of the airfields looked like back in 1944/45 - and this in the middle of the project

Bodenplatte! What a great research! I really don't understand...

 

Do you know the layout of over 100 airfields from 75 years ago?? If so hand over the data please.

 

But thanks to Luke and David we have A LOT more info, I just hope we can utilize it all.

Jason

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

 

Do you know the layout of over 100 airfields from 75 years ago?? If so hand over the data please.

 

Jason

I can't say for certain on the layouts of German airfields late in the War, that's for sure but I can say in general .they tended to look a little beat up around the edges....😉

media-17003.jpeg

Edited by Blitzen
missplelling
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

 

Yes, and they apparently don't even know how some of the airfields looked like back in 1944/45 - and this in the middle of the project

Bodenplatte! What a great research! I really don't understand...

 

If you don't like how the developers are managing Bodenplatte, that's your prerogative...but there's no need to continually cry about it in this thread. You're just ruining the ride for everyone else.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, -IRRE-Therion said:

Yes, and they apparently don't even know how some of the airfields looked like back in 1944/45 - and this in the middle of the project

Bodenplatte! What a great research! I really don't understand...

 

As Jason has said up above, finding accurate info about all of these airfields isn't always easy. Many of the German airfields were cut out of plowed fields and, after war, were very quickly returned to agricultural use - with so much thorough German efficiency that one would be hard-pressed to know there ever was an airfield at the location in question. But, thankfully, there have been a number of works in recent years that have helped clear things up, so I am sure that the community will be very happy with the map in its completed form.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 1:27 AM, AndyJWest said:

According to this website https://www.ww2aerialreconstudies.com/jets.html Me 262s (and Arado Ar 234s) needed 1800 - 2000 metre runways. The ones on existing maps are about I000 m, I think, so it is going to be a struggle.  And I can't see any obvious way for the developers to come up with a temporary 'fix' that wouldn't involve either modifying an existing map or bodging the Me 262 FM. Maybe we should wait and see though, since I'm sure the developers are aware of the issue. 

 

Just to be clear, the normal take off & landing run for a Me262A1 was between 1,140 - 1,325 meters on concrete, and 1,325 - 1,600 meters on grass.  

 

1,800 to 2,000 m runways were needed for safety, if for example an engine failed during take off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

 

As Jason has said up above, finding accurate info about all of these airfields isn't always easy. Many of the German airfields were cut out of plowed fields and, after war, were very quickly returned to agricultural use - with so much thorough German efficiency that one would be hard-pressed to know there ever was an airfield at the location in question. But, thankfully, there have been a number of works in recent years that have helped clear things up, so I am sure that the community will be very happy with the map in its completed form.

 

I´m more than confident that with available Infos and support from the community you guys will come up with more than appropriate layouts for most of those old airfields. So far 1C/777 never let us down and overdelivered in all they did. I am really looking forward to the map and I am living and working right in the middle of those old battlegrounds crossing the hochwald gap right in front of me almost daily. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully agree, it’s time to give credit to the developers of this GAME as to the overwhelming accuracy regarding aircraft, ground elements, etc.  Also let’s not forget it is a GAME and not a substitute for history.  The developers have demonstrated a great deal of fidelity to historic events and objects, so let’s support them in all they’ve done.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The British Archives or the RAF (not sure which one) released for public viewing 1000s of recon pictures from Europe that are bound to show the layout of airfields for BOBP. I guess the question is how they are organised as it is would take an age to search through them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 8:53 PM, Jason_Williams said:

 

Do you know the layout of over 100 airfields from 75 years ago?? If so hand over the data please.

 

But thanks to Luke and David we have A LOT more info, I just hope we can utilize it all.

Jason

 

Maybe this link to 33 Dutch airfields during WWII is useful.

Including aerial photos and maps.

https://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/vliegvelden-tijdens-de-tweede-wereldoorlog/vliegveldenoverzicht?trefwoord=&jaar-van=1940&jaar-tot=1945

 

Some photos do have the option to download them in higher resolution.

For instance this one of Fliegerhost Venlo. With 2 Bf-110 planes at the lower part of the image.

 

nog-een-opname-uit-dezelfde-serie-luchtf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

I fully agree, it’s time to give credit to the developers of this GAME as to the overwhelming accuracy regarding aircraft, ground elements, etc.  Also let’s not forget it is a GAME and not a substitute for history.  The developers have demonstrated a great deal of fidelity to historic events and objects, so let’s support them in all they’ve done.

I agree , but I would replace the word GAME with the term combat flight simulator , because if IL 2 isn't a combat flight simulator , then this term is useless .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

I agree , but I would replace the word GAME with the term combat flight simulator , because if IL 2 isn't a combat flight simulator , then this term is useless .


It's a video game in the genre of flight simulators. 

Feel better?

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, AeroAce said:

The British Archives or the RAF (not sure which one) released for public viewing 1000s of recon pictures from Europe that are bound to show the layout of airfields for BOBP. I guess the question is how they are organised as it is would take an age to search through them.

 

I know the site you are referring to, and yes, it has proven to be very useful. Not the easiest site to navigate, but the photos we have found have proven to be very helpful. 

 

11 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Maybe this link to 33 Dutch airfields during WWII is useful.

Including aerial photos and maps.

 

Already have everything we need from there, yes. 🙂 It's arguably the best single resource for Dutch wartime airfield info. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

I agree , but I would replace the word GAME with the term combat flight simulator , because if IL 2 isn't a combat flight simulator , then this term is useless .

 

Combat flight simulators are video games, though, with the exception of those used to train actual combat pilots. 

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Il2 is clearly a combat flight simulator. It simulates a great many things related to WWII air combat. It’s not a systems simulator if that’s what people are getting on about but it’s never pretended to be that either. Other sims model some things better, IL2 models other things better. For me and most on these forums IL2 BoX strikes a balance very well and plays the right chord. YMMV.

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

262 is cool and all, but need the rest of the allied airframes more at this point IMO.  This is the last German AC while the allies are missing the P51, Tempest and P38.  Personally I would have prioritized at the very least the P51 to be released prior to the 262.  I have basically been taking a break until we have the P51 or the P38...

Take that with a grain of salt as the 262 is the least compelling AC for my personal tastes in the BoBP module.  I understand many people want it and it looks to be a very good simulation of the plane.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did a quick google about the british library photo archive mentioned above and I found this:

 

https://ncap.org.uk/

 

Haven't checked costs etc yet but might prove a useful resource.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheFace said:

262 is cool and all, but need the rest of the allied airframes more at this point IMO.  This is the last German AC while the allies are missing the P51, Tempest and P38.  Personally I would have prioritized at the very least the P51 to be released prior to the 262.  I have basically been taking a break until we have the P51 or the P38...

 

That's simply not how any of this works. You ship out modules based on what can be built best and fastest without delaying the entire project. Not based on what would be nice to have.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

 

That's simply not how any of this works. You ship out modules based on what can be built best and fastest without delaying the entire project. Not based on what would be nice to have.

 

Well they did state that additional work would need to be done for the 262 in the simulation, so it's surprising it's before a chunk of other AC.  From many of the previous diaries the 262 is the tougest one for them.  Of course any of the devs can pipe in and correct that if I am wrong.

 

Yes it seems kind of like poor planning to have all of one side of the aircraft done and only half of the other side of the AC.  I lead a production team, and this is just not how I would personally plan the manpower to work on the project.

 

I also said "take this with a grain of salt" as it's biased because I just don't care about the 262.

Edited by TheFace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheFace said:

 

Well they did state that additional work would need to be done for the 262 in the simulation, so it's surprising it's before a chunk of other AC.  From many of the previous diaries the 262 is the tougest one for them.  Of course any of the devs can pipe in and correct that if I am wrong.

 

Yes it seems kind of like poor planning to have all of one side of the aircraft done and only half of the other side of the AC.  I lead a production team, and this is just not how I would personally plan the manpower to work on the project.

 

I also said "take this with a grain of salt" as it's biased because I just don't care about the 262.

 

What seems obvious is that the new 109s and 190s share a lot of common components with existing planes (external as well as interior gauges and textures), so developing the exteriors and cockpits should be low hanging fruit and makes sense to get them out of the way.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 262 is the heavy lifting as far as AC go. It makes sense it was among the first started. That it’s coming out early means their research and development went well. The P-51 is due roughly in July. Not to worried about it overall. Typhoon was a research nightmare and I suspect the P-38 is pretty complex as well. Timelines, overall, seem reasonable. I’m hyped for the P-51 so I feel your pain, just not your angst. (That’s a stronger term than I’m looking for. I’ll amend it later.)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What? It bombed Pearl Harbor didn’t it?!?

 

Edit - stupid phone

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
Stupid Phone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheFace said:

 

Well they did state that additional work would need to be done for the 262 in the simulation, so it's surprising it's before a chunk of other AC.  From many of the previous diaries the 262 is the tougest one for them.  Of course any of the devs can pipe in and correct that if I am wrong.

 

Yes it seems kind of like poor planning to have all of one side of the aircraft done and only half of the other side of the AC.  I lead a production team, and this is just not how I would personally plan the manpower to work on the project.

 

I also said "take this with a grain of salt" as it's biased because I just don't care about the 262.

 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's Early Access, be happy you get anything at all, if you have a problem with it wait for the official release. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 5:38 AM, AeroAce said:

The British Archives or the RAF (not sure which one) released for public viewing 1000s of recon pictures from Europe that are bound to show the layout of airfields for BOBP. I guess the question is how they are organised as it is would take an age to search through them.

 

Indeed that exists, it has been posted here somewhere, some 6 months ago. I've been looking all over for it!

 

To my taste, and considering that so many other things are more important to be depicted with precision, I dont't mind airports that are "more or less" like the historical ones. It is enough for our needs. What I WOULD mind are aircraft that are more or less like the historical ones. So clearly the devs have got their priories straight.

Edited by danielprates
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, AeroAce said:

The British Archives or the RAF (not sure which one) released for public viewing 1000s of recon pictures from Europe that are bound to show the layout of airfields for BOBP. I guess the question is how they are organised as it is would take an age to search through them.

 

Not so difficult.

On this site the RAF images are organised.

https://originals.dotkadata.com/#!1&jaar[]=1940&jaar[]=1945

 

I've already selected timeframe 1940-1945.

Click on red button 'Zoek op de map'  and scroll the area you need, zoom in on the map and click red button 'Zoek in dit gebied'.

Then results show up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

What? It bombed Pearl Harbot didn’t it?!?

 Who is this 'Pearl Harbot' you speak of, and where was she when she was bombed?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deckerrunner said:

Im not saying eneythink, but a year 5 mouths and 24 days later and still waiting??

 

Sir, I think you clicked on the wrong forums

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deckerrunner said:

Im not saying eneythink, but a year 5 mouths and 24 days later and still waiting??

 

 

I think it's trying to communicate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LF_Gallahad said:

Sir, I think you clicked on the wrong forums

your probley right ,they do good work and a lot of it too,just need to be put in to the game ive been waiting for that all ,~

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2. This forum is provided by 1C-777 Ltd. as a courtesy and its usage is a privilege and 1C-777 Ltd. reserves the right to ban any member temporarily or permanently for any reason at any time. Any penalties listed below for violations of the rules are guidelines only and forum administration may take additional action if they feel it is warranted. Use of the forum is not connected to usage of the game and access to this forum is not guaranteed to users as a consequence of purchasing the game.

 

 

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't that last DD interesting?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will those refuel and rearming trucks and vehicles be player controlled? Or AI controlled? Tbh it would be hella cool to run repair and rearm trucks to damaged team mates in multiplayer. For example, getting a call about a crash landed stuka or Spitfire that landed in a field, and driving out to their location to perform repairs on them so they can get back to flying and survive. Could be really fun!

 

Also, has there been any new news regarding the Li-2/C-47? I'd buy that beautiful aircraft in a heartbeat and never stop flying it ❤️

 

Other wise, I'm pumped to get to fly the 262! Only other time I've ever flown one in a video game is WT, and you know the quality of their flight models. (ei, terribad) So I'm really looking forward for this one! Its gonna be one interesting plane to fly! =D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, Han said:

 

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

Hi team

I just wondered when we are actually going to see the Bodenplatte map?

It was mentioned way back in March this year along with B-25, P-38. P-51, Me 262 and Hawker Tempest but still we dont see anything happening soon?

I purchased Bodenplatte a good while ago and feel that I haven't received what I paid for.

I appreciate that your marketing style is we enable you to develop expansion of the franchise by purchasing up front but feel that the time frames are too long.

May I suggest you do not 'advise' us of 'new content' until you have a better idea of a realistic time frame. 

£80.00 is a lot of money to fork out without actually seeing any merchandise apart from a few aircraft.

In my humble opinion I feel the work load put on the programmers and developers is too much and sporadic.

At present we have Tank Crew and Flying Circus as well all being thrown into the mix and this has to be a major cause of delay.

I appreciate fellow gamer's all have different likes and dislikes but feel your announcements for new product would be best received when they are actually imminent for release.

 

Please regards these comments as constructive and not derogatory.

 

Kind regards,

 

Planesy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I see BOBP is progressing at the same speed as the three previous modules (BoS/BoM/Bok) , Tank crew and FC do not seem to be delaying anything compared to past history (and I understand they are being done by different outsourced teams) 

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, planesyplanesy said:

Hi team

I just wondered when we are actually going to see the Bodenplatte map?

It was mentioned way back in March this year along with B-25, P-38. P-51, Me 262 and Hawker Tempest but still we dont see anything happening soon?

I purchased Bodenplatte a good while ago and feel that I haven't received what I paid for.

I appreciate that your marketing style is we enable you to develop expansion of the franchise by purchasing up front but feel that the time frames are too long.

May I suggest you do not 'advise' us of 'new content' until you have a better idea of a realistic time frame. 

£80.00 is a lot of money to fork out without actually seeing any merchandise apart from a few aircraft.

In my humble opinion I feel the work load put on the programmers and developers is too much and sporadic.

At present we have Tank Crew and Flying Circus as well all being thrown into the mix and this has to be a major cause of delay.

I appreciate fellow gamer's all have different likes and dislikes but feel your announcements for new product would be best received when they are actually imminent for release.

 

Please regards these comments as constructive and not derogatory.

 

Kind regards,

 

Planesy

 

 

This is the unavoidable and unchanging nature of purchasing a product in "early access". You pay upfront for the opportunity to get each piece of the puzzle as it becomes available. You also received a 13% discount for pre-ordering, as an offset for the aggravation of getting the product piecemeal and to reward you for supporting the development up front.

 

Whether preordering and receiving the preorder discount was "worth it" is up to each of us...risk vs. reward decision. Likewise we all have the option to just wait until the complete product is released.

Edited by Rekt
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, planesyplanesy said:

 

I purchased Bodenplatte a good while ago and feel that I haven't received what I paid for.

 

 

It’s early access.  So you got exactly what you paid for.  If you’re not happy with that, wait until the game is released next time.  Problem solved.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...