I don't know man. I just send the tracks and info to that Rapidus fellow.

1 minute ago, US93_Talbot said:

I don't know man. I just send the tracks and info to that Rapidus fellow.

Yeah, I did the same, but maybe we could try more specific things, if we had the slightest clue what's happening. It's not very easy to help this way.

Posted (edited)

00:46:40 Invisible Fokker D7.

Edited by US93_Talbot
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@J2_Bidu So I'll drop here this video. I'm pretty sure I've seen a more detailed one adressing this 10km bubble render distance, but I couldn't find it, it's been around 5 years since I've watched. 

Now the discussion which I don't think many of you analized correctly the whole diversity of this problem, and I highly doubt even the devs did:

Basically we have at least 4 different problems regarding spotting in this game, which make the planes disappear:

1- Planes outside the 10km range bubble:
The 10km range bubble as implies is the range which aircraft should be rendered, many other games uses different set of features and distances for spotting, for instance, Cliffs of Dover has the distance set somewhere around 13-15km iirc, at that range contact is nothing but a pixel, when comes closer it renders as a proper aircraft. Anything beyond that is invisible. Here in BoX series, apparently it used to be 10km before many improvements over the years (I could be wrong and some sort of primitive long range spotting was already before I started flying last year). Clearly we had quite an improvement after the 10km range bubble with the not-so-new now spotting system which we can see targets 40km away. In fact they are not rendered properly and they are just pixels, which partially (at least from my experience spotting that far away), don't show a continuous path of flight, they move as if by frames. Anyway this is beyond the scope but surely shows a different method of spotting beyond the 10km bubble. It seems the 10km is the distance drawn, in which contacts are rendered as proper aircrafts, although their skins are not rendered (keep this in mind).

2- Planes inside the 10km bubble and relatively close:
This is another spotting problem which has 2 cases:
a) Planes blending with the ground;
b)Planes disappearing somewhere between 400-800m.

The first (item a) is regarding a long lasting problem which has most (but not totally) to do with graphic settings, how nearby pixels between the objects and background are rendered, it seems that sometimes not only the nearby pixels blend, but makes the whole aircraft blend in the background (this main occurs in forests with dark skin/camouflage planes and sometimes against the sky).

The second (item b) is a whole different bug, where sometimes zooming in or out plane simply disappears, that's what people complain (as some of you) that you were approaching the target and they suddenly disappeared, become invisible and reappears closer. I would say this is the most frequent bug (at least for me, and how I notice, as it's pretty evident) and I can guess it has something to do aircraft skins rendering, when they go from the standard layout to a custom one (from the ones already available, I'm not sure if that occurs with player made ones or if flying with the standard would avoid this problem).

3-Invisible planes:
Basically this is the problem where a plane appears only if it takes an action, i.e., shooting, being shot at, turn lights on, shoot a flare etc... As many of you stated and I can guess is that it definitely has something to do on how planes come from the 10km bubble and its rendering system, which may simply affect the plane, bug it and keep it invisible. I think it also happens even with a visible aircraft beyond the 10km distance when it comes within 10km due to the different spotting method and then becomes invisible. It doesn't have a predetermined distance for the plane to show up as we've seen in many videos and from my experience.

That's my 2 cents gathering up and detailing everything in a single post.

Edited by SCG_Gustav_Hagel
  • Thanks 4

Hi Gustav!

There is a different invisibility bug, which happens very often to me, i would say once every 4 or 5 hours of game which makes all planes, tanks and ships invisible. They see me, and can kill me but i cannot see them. I have send the videos to the Devs including the TacView files where you see me getting killed from bullets coming out of thin air. Also, (again... many many times) i see planes disappearing that are 50 meters from me, like my team mates when we are flying on formation. My mates confirm that they are right next to me and they will not show even if they fire their guns or turn on their lights. The TacView files show (when I get killed like that) that there are no planes in the 10 km bubble although there might be lots of explosions, shots and explosions of all kings, including low caliber guns from planes and parachutes spawning for no reason. Also, the stats (from TAW, WoL, KOTA, CB, or Finns) confirm that (in some of those cases) I was shot down by an enemy. Curiously enough, this bug also reflects in sound. When I have it and I spawn, i will not see any plane (although they will see me) and I will not hear their engines or guns.

This is why, if I spent more than 5 minutes without seeing anyone (which in TAW, for example, is very common) I need to go close to some tanks or ships so I can confirm the bug is not there. I guarantee I have seen this bug hundreds of times.

I also sent the Devs videos and TacView files for the other invisibility bug, where an enemy plane is invisible until the moment it starts firing (unfortunately in that case, right on my six). I am not the only person that has this bug, there are many reports that fit 100% with what I described, although there are also many that have never saw it and think that these are just excuses for people who don't check their low 6 often enough.

• Upvote 2

Yep, totally forgot that one, it's the weirdest and the rarest of all invisibility bugs, I have no idea of the reasons, can't guess and describe since it never happened to me.

This is all so weird that I'm starting to wonder if the game uses any protocol to forward these events to the clients that allows for packet loss (UDP) and, at the same time, relies on the correct transmission of a very small number of critical events. This might explain why some people are so afflicted while others not so much.

11 minutes ago, US93_Talbot said:

Who is the official invisible plane trackfile collector?

I've never seen him around.

He must be invisible or something.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Invisible plane encountered 7.2.2020. A key characteristic of this bug is after the plane becomes visible it continues to fire, seemingly at nothing. If you see this happen to you, you were probably bounced by an invisible plane.

Edited by US93_Talbot
this is v4.007

Posted (edited)

Yet to see a report of it happening on the new version (4.0.0.8). Let's hope for the best.

Edited by J2_Bidu

Good news, in 3 hours of game play last night with a heavily populated server I did not experience one invisible plane incident! 

I've reviewed most of my recordings from the evening and haven't yielded anything yet. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, US93_Talbot said:

Good news, in 3 hours of game play last night with a heavily populated server I did not experience one invisible plane incident! 

I've reviewed most of my recordings from the evening and haven't yielded anything yet. 

Keep the reports coming in. Hope this is fixed finally.

We sorely need points 1 and 2 from @SCG_Gustav_Hagel post above fixed too.

• Upvote 3

Hello, just reporting I have had several planes dissapearing In front of my eyes or being invisible until taking action after some time on CBOX and berloga. Not been able to make a record since I wasn't looking for that bug specifically.

Planes merging with the background looks to happen very often too. It seems this is more frequent with 4.008b.

S

• Sad 2

The bug where all planes, tanks and ships disappear is still happening, unfortunately. Had it a few times during the last few days...

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, SCG_Vieira said:

The bug where all planes, tanks and ships disappear is still happening, unfortunately. Had it a few times during the last few days...

Yes happened to me last night on Finnish server. First time for me of any kind of the invisible plane bug. This was the total kind where you don't see any other planes. I was first bounced by a plane but did not see it. I thought it must have been there so took off again. I was getting more convinced of a bug that after 1 hour on a populated server and I still havent seen a single plane. Then I saw explosions over a target, someone dropped bombs. I was a few hundred meters away but couldnt see the plane. It was not level bombing the ground defence was shooting at the plane. Finally I landed on an AF and asked on chat if anyone was landing or taking off at that time. Someone replied he was preparing to take off. I didnt see anyone. 

A game restart fixed it.

From now on I will have to waste minutes on an AF before taking off trying to somehow verify if I have the bug or not.

This happened to me today as I was tanking (in a T34) on Finnish:

a number of times, in the most unlikely locations, my tank was suddenly blown up. In the most complete way, no partial damage first or anything, you find yourself suddenly staring at the blackened, charred, smoldering version of you tank.

In most cases, due to spatial considerations, an ambush by a blue tank was very unlikely, unless one posits that the intelligence of the blue tankers had magically multiplied overnight. Due to the charred smoldering version of the destruction, I suspected howitzer, but at those locations there should have been no howitzers, and they would usually not be so instantly precise, even if present.

Later, as I spawned, I saw our AA shooting at an invisible plane. Remembering this topic, I began to wonder whether I had been bombed by invisible planes all day. The part that hadn't looked like being bombed was, that no bomb crater was shown in the view that showed my smoldering tank.

Hence my question: when you're bombed by an invisible plane, would there be a bomb crater?

Another question: since this thread is already so old, is something known about how those relate, the invisible plane, the other players, and the server?

I.e. if a plane is invisible to me, is it also invisible to the others? Is this the invisible (plane's) player's network problem, should he/she log off and reconnect, or is it my network problem, so that I should log off/reconnect? Or is the problem not solved at all by reconnecting, and just something the server screws up?

If you leave the server and return, the bug disappears. 

When the bug happens to me, it doesn't necessarily happens to others. I had a few times while flying on close formation and all other planes could see me but I couldn't see them or any body else. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just experienced this again, one of our squad mates couldn't see other planes after spawning. This was immediately after map rotation on Finnish Virtual Pilots server. Our first sortie / spawn on a new map.

Disconnecting, or game restart solves it.

So, definitely not fixed... 😒

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this is something specific to the Finnish Virtual Pilots server, but this evening when joining the rest of my squad that was overflying the field and waiting for me to take off - they could see me, and I couldn't see anyone. Restarted the game, rejoined the server - no change, same invisible bug...

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

Yeah i never had that on any other server, weird. It happens rarely, but annoying when it does. 

Invisible planes is still an issue...

And it is only for the single player - had my self situation that with the team mate we re spawn at the same af - he was able to see me and other players taking off from this af.... I see no play at all - not only single plane or team mate plane, there were like 3-4 in my view range (hypothetical)...

Was forced to rejoin the server. Unfortunately did not make any track of it at that time.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2020 at 10:15 PM, HBG-H_Stiglitz said:

Yeah i never had that on any other server, weird. It happens rarely, but annoying when it does. 

I've never had it happen to me before the last patch. As a squad we only started noticing it when devs said they fixed it. Go figure... ☹️

Based on @315_R2r's post above, looks like I am not the only one experiencing this.

I am not using any mods or anything. Stock game through and through, with few skin packs and different cockpit photos being the only difference.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

This sounds like a completely different bug.

My understanding is, in the Original(TM) invisible plane bug, if you were the invisible plane nobody on the server could see you until you shot or flashed your lights.

In this case, if you get this bug you can't see anyone else but they can see you. Like the server is sending your data to everybody but you are not receiving theirs.

31 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

This sounds like a completely different bug.

My understanding is, in the Original(TM) invisible plane bug, if you were the invisible plane nobody on the server could see you until you shot or flashed your lights.

In this case, if you get this bug you can't see anyone else but they can see you. Like the server is sending your data to everybody but you are not receiving theirs.

This. The original one affected usually only  some planes that could not be seen, while others could be seen fine.

the one one sometimes encounters on Finnish VP is affecting all planes. You dont see any planes at all unless you reconnect.

4 minutes ago, HBG-H_Stiglitz said:

This. The original one affected usually only  some planes that could not be seen, while others could be seen fine.

the one one sometimes encounters on Finnish VP is affecting all planes. You dont see any planes at all unless you reconnect.

Is it only on Finnish? I haven't encountered it on Combat Box, TAW, Berloga or KOTA (haven't been on KOTA or TAW since most recent patch though)

7 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Is it only on Finnish? I haven't encountered it on Combat Box, TAW, Berloga or KOTA (haven't been on KOTA or TAW since most recent patch though)

I have never encountered it on any other server so far. Not on kota, not on CB, not on berloga or the CB training server. 

I had this bug (of all Planes, Tanks and Ships becoming invisible)in every single server, including Berloga, WoL, KOTA, CB, Finns and TAW.

17 minutes ago, SCG_Vieira said:

I had this bug (of all Planes, Tanks and Ships becoming invisible)in every single server, including Berloga, WoL, KOTA, CB, Finns and TAW.

That sucks. Is it always fixable by reconnecting? Or were there times when it persisted?

9 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

That sucks. Is it always fixable by reconnecting? Or were there times when it persisted?

For me, it always fix after reconnecting to the server. Although it might happen again later.