the clouds are fantastic!

Agreed.

I didn't get chance to try the clouds last week so this was double-bubble for me; Yak & clouds.

I can see that once we get QMB so a few nice sunsets can be dialed in, cloud skimming is going to be popular.

I agree... they work really well and they look good. I guess they are fairly simple but still... very impressive coming from IL-2 1946. These are apparently the tier 1 version of the clouds and that they have a fancier tier 2 version that will arrive closer to the end of the project. These are already very good so whatever else we'll see at the end is sure to be stunning.

stooopid question of the week:

where do you see these wonderful clouds? All mission briefings say "weather clear" and I have seen nothing but some weak, littel traces at a very high altitude so far

where did they take the screens I have seen on these pages, showing rich, huge banks of clouds?

Im sorry for the question.

And by the way Extreme_One, thank you for that link on the sweetfx topic, it was helpful. Flightfx not taking effect yet, but I have sweetfx working and FIfi's settings ok, very beautiful.

Edited by J4Scriszeri
  • Upvote 1

I did try last week and this week! Am I mistaken or is there a difference between the two types of clouds? Last week the clouds where more solid, I did enter them and all was grey now there is more a transition between out of the cloud and in the cloud you can fly in between, in the haze!

in_the_cloud.jpg

On the first free-flight Lapino mission you see clouds, even though the description says 'clear' :)

thank you again Extreme, now I can't wait to see them, will have to wait until next session unless I get home very quickly this evening and catch the last couple hours of this session!

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to have clouds but they are buggy and if you fly through a wispy thin spot it consumes your entire vision as if it was a thick spot.

Agreed. The clouds are nice to have. But they still lack a lot in realism. Not complaining - I know how complex and demanding volumetric and particle effects can be. But the instant transition from no sign of cloud approaching to instant white-out (when on the cloud edge) is annoying. It is also a bit daft that you can't see out at all but the guy on your tail still sees you plain as day.

I also found that cloud does not seem to hamper the AAA - as though commanded by Darth Vader himself - or obscure the sun as it should.

If you've ever flown a bubble canopy through cloud you'll be looking for that feeling of the cloud flowing around you, opening out again for a second then flowing around you again. It's not flat white but a cool play of light and shadow that is probably beyond the capability of realtime rendering on current hardware though.

• Upvote 1

The "clouds" department has been contacted by Facebook. They have proposed buying the clouds. Apparently the next generation will indeed be amazing but they will be blue with thicker white borders and feature a facebook log-in to toggle them on.

;D

• Upvote 1

The "clouds" department has been contacted by Facebook. They have proposed buying the clouds. Apparently the next generation will indeed be amazing but they will be blue with thicker white borders and feature a facebook log-in to toggle them on.

;D

Well if they do, I will not be using clouds in BoS.

.... the instant transition from no sign of cloud approaching to instant white-out (when on the cloud edge) is annoying. It is also a bit daft that you can't see out at all but the guy on your tail still sees you plain as day....

Yes, 

BoS clouds obscure vision inappropriately, sometimes even when hundreds of meters away from them. You can fly a path on which you have unrestricted visibility, and suddenly find yourself in whiteout conditions. The range of this white out effect needs to be seriously reduced to happen only when some distance within a cloud. This is what it looks like when flying near and through the edges of clouds: 

Edited by TX-EcoDragon
  • Upvote 3

;D

Lol, why not go the whole hog and have clouds forming 'subliminal' FB logos ingame... :rolleyes: