SharpeXB

No-Refly career mode

This would be a great idea for the new career mode. A no-refly option like Desastersoft has.

The RoF career is really great, very well done. But the number of victories required to win the awards are too extreme. Something like 400 kills for the Blue Max and so on. In Desastersoft, if you are killed, that's it. Harsh, but therefore the medal counts can be realistic.

In my opinion the career mode is the best game mode for a simulator; it really forces you to understand everything about the aircraft.

And the award system is a great way to reward the player for playing with more realistic settings.

• Upvote 2

Do you mean no refly as in when you are dead you are dead and you have to create a new pilot or start from scratch again.. ?

Do you mean no refly as in when you are dead you are dead and you have to create a new pilot or start from scratch again.. ?

Yes exactly. In a Desastersoft career (expansion packs for Cliffs of Dover) your fate is recorded instantly by the PC so hitting esc or turning off the machine doesn't work. You're still dead. In RoF when you complete any mission in sp there's a "finish flight" button. If you don't finish the flight it's not recorded. In career mode even if you are killed or captured there is an option to refly the mission.

So you can play an RoF career "dead is dead" for your own entertainment but you aren't rewarded for doing it. If you can refly then getting a 20 kill streak isn't such a big accomplishment like it should be. And if you fly with a realistic amount of caution you won't rack up 400 kills. Maybe in BoS it could be a difficulty option? You could decide to do your careers refly on of off.

That's just silly, what if there is a glitch in your PC and you fail like the last mission in the campaign.

In ROF you have 800 days of career. Can you imagine starting from scratch on day 100 for example. Plus there are so many factors that can kill you. For example in ROF your own comrade crashes into you. Plus it's just a game. With new patches settings change. First the enemy is agressive, then it isn't, then the flak is really accurate, then it isn't.

From my point of view Desastersoft is too rigorous. The game would loose a lot of appeal if the Desastersoft system was implemented.

The difficulty option is ok for me. But rastricting the game like that is out of the question.

That's just silly, what if there is a glitch in your PC and you fail like the last mission in the campaign.

In ROF you have 800 days of career. Can you imagine starting from scratch on day 100 for example. Plus there are so many factors that can kill you. For example in ROF your own comrade crashes into you. Plus it's just a game. With new patches settings change. First the enemy is agressive, then it isn't, then the flak is really accurate, then it isn't.

From my point of view Desastersoft is too rigorous. The game would loose a lot of appeal if the Desastersoft system was implemented.

The difficulty option is ok for me. But rastricting the game like that is out of the question.

Not everyone thinks like you.I guess having this as an option would be a nice addition.

I'd be all for it as an option ..  I could see it as an option to use where at the start of a campaign you have a continue/ DiD option so that if you die at any time you have to start over .. but not having to create a new pilot and all that..

In Desastersoft if you quit the mission in the air, you fail but you can fly it again.

Many ways to be killed in RoF?! absoutely! I think the chief danger in career mode is archie and your own guys colliding with you.

Edited by SharpeXB

I guess AI and career overal should be made with much more flexibility in mind.

By this I don't mean super skilled AI or something like that, but all those little details.

Like maps with screwed up landing patterns so AI gets killed en masse by colliding with hangars during taxiing, or whole AI group colliding with low hills, flight wiping mid air collisions, crash landings with bombs/rockets attached, AI not bailing out from doomed planes above hard terrain (ends up crashed in hill or in woods) etc. etc. a million of those little things.

Because making DiD career doesn't make a lot of sense to me with such bugs, because I understand DiD as not only my DiD career but also a career in which is it worthwile to protect your AI squadmates who are more than just an expendable cannon fodder.

Bottom line, I'm in for that option. Having an extra option is always a great thing.

In my opinion, a way to make more realistic careers is to make them shorter, with a realistic number of mission flown, and a realistic number of victories. 

Well, for a German pilot career a "realistic number of missions" could mean many hundred if not more than one thousand sorties.

However, not all of them involved enemy contact and this is where we run into problems with a game.

Many people will probably want to have dogfights and action in every mission instead of flying 2-hour patrols without an enemy in sight.

So in order to make those players happy a career would only have to depict those missions with enemy contact and that would already be one drawback to a "realistic" career.

EDIT: at least if we look at the entire timespan of the war. Being restricted to the Stalingrad scenario for "now" probably mitigates this issue to a certain degree. /EDIT

As to DiD mode: starting all over is fine in FTL but in flight sims I personally like to play my offline fighter-careers in the style of "what if the pilot survived all those missions?"

Of course, I certainly wouldn't mind, having DiD as an option.

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo

DiD is always an option.  It just requires self-discipline to apply it.  Having a config option to force you to accept the results rather than doing so voluntarily is fine by me.  It only really becomes an issue if you mix in a global scoring system like they had/have in RoF as I wouldn't want my DiD career pilots having to compare to those who hit refly each time the results aren't what they wanted.

Also, an option to make it so your missions are only "contact" missions is fine by me.  I would choose to have that turned off though.  I think it adds to the tension when each time you take off you are never sure if you will run into the enemy.

The dead is dead mode, plus a stats page to keep track of best careers would be cool. I missed that option a lot in Il-2.

DiD would be a nice option.

The more interesting question, however, is how career mode will be implemented at all? (given the short time period)

Well RoF already has a career beta mode so I guess that the basis will come from that. Given the relatively confined and stable nature of the front in Stalingrad then a WWI style campaign might not even need that much adapting ( but I'm just speculating!).

I'd say having 2-3 sorties each day for these 2 months already makes for a lot of missions - at least for the beginning.

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo

That is true. I had been wondering about that, too - not that I ever last more than two weeks playing RoF. I suppose there might be seasonal map updates (again, as there were in RoF) which would extend the period quite a bit.

Stretching it, it could be August 1942 to January 1943, 5 months. Imho more than enough for a career. But yes, it's not the entire war. So "campaign" mode is probably a better word than "career" mode.

Edited by JtD

YEs, I'm for the option as well . . .

a nice future feature would be like an rpg element, like a short video (you could skip if you want) of the briefing, but it was interactive, you could ask a question or be the goofball, or "that" guy that yells . or horse around during flight prep or be serious

it'd be cool when your career or campaign pilot "died" the game saved the tracks of the flights and a "journal" of your antics . little details would get people to go that option. 

I like the devs take on this, hopefully they will be as realistic as they can, yet with out the 'grind' or tediousness that reality can have. Such as flying a sortie that really takes 3-4 hours. Not everyone can play a game for 3-4 hours straight, at least not people with kids and a husband or wife ;D