I've got an issue, or maybe a misunderstanding, with the VR enablement within the settings, gaphics. After I've enabled VR in the graphics settings once done with the game the game reverts back to no VR enablement. So every time I start my game I have to go into the settings and tun on VR. I've also noticed that if I quit the game at anytime after using VR I can't restart the game until I've rebooted my PC.

I'm using the Samsung Odyssey +. A friend of mine is using the same VR set and doesn't have this issue. Am I missing something? Should I enable VR in a second place? I'm using Steam with a link to this site having bought parts of the game off of both sites.

Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had issues with my joystick/throttle/pedals not being detected by the game at random times. It works for long periods of time and just poof the game forgets they exist randomly. No idea why this issue happens or why the game just forgets hardware. Too fix the problem, I have to either reinstall the game or turn on my joystick program joystick gremlin before the game each time before playing. I do not even use joystick gremlin for iL-2 as I use the game controls. lol

Not VR related, so I do not know if this will assist in your situation. But it does relate in the fact the game will magically forget to detect hardware.

Edited by Geronimo553

If you are running the Steam version of the game, then you might want to check with their support and see what they might suggest.

If you are not running the Steam version of the game , but launching from the IL-2 exe or Launcher.exe  stand alone - do you have the game installed in 

the C:/Program Files folder?

If so you might try setting IL-2.exe to " Run as Administrator" and see if that helps.

Start the game with IL-2.exe, rather than Launcher.exe.

I only use Launcher.exe to grab any updates that are pending. Otherwise I use the IL-2.exe. I have shortcuts to both on my desktop.

Also check your Steam VR settings and see if something is maybe mis-checked or looks odd in there.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, TWC_Target said:

I've also noticed that if I quit the game at anytime after using VR I can't restart the game until I've rebooted my PC.

SteamVR activates a server when it starts up but doesn't close it when you shut down your session and exit. You need to open Task Manager and scroll down to VR server and end it.

Also, I was experiencing problems with the WMR app until someone here on the forum pointed me to Windows Update Assistant and the update for Windows 10 edition 1809. I kept getting an error message that my cables weren't connected properly and it wouldn't resolve until I deleted and reinstalled WMR app after reboot. Click the Update Now box - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I can also confirm my detection issue only occurs when using steam directly to launch the game. If I load the game using a shortcut directly from the launcher exe then it works without issue. So try creating a shortcut from the directory and see if that helps.

I have bought the product from both this website and steam and "linked" the 2, but this linking business doesn't work the way I thought it would. For one, the plane set in the game launched from the official IL2 launcher dosesn't show all the planes I've bought. I have to go through steam to have access to all the A/C that I've accumalated through the 2 games I bought from steam. (Like the old Sat. morning commercial use to suggest, I've collected them all.) 2nd.  I can get an update when I use the original IL2 icon to start the game even though I've just finished playing in steam. I understand that Boddenplatte and the tank sim aren't in the steam store yet and perhaps this is the reason for the divergent updates.  I hope this ends once the games go to the steam store.

And doing anything with the launcher connected to this website edition takes an agonizingly long time to update and load.

For now, if I launch the game through the steam library choosing "play in VR", everything is copacetic.

7 hours ago, TWC_Target said:

For now, if I launch the game through the steam library choosing "play in VR", everything is copacetic.

Yes, the process of linking the steam content and the website content is a pain. I also had the same problem when I first had to go through the process. I do not remember the exact way I got it to work (nearly four years ago) but I believe it required a reinstall of the game. Also did you try launching from a shortcut instead and not from steam directly, like I suggested?

Edited by Geronimo553

9 hours ago, TWC_Target said:

And doing anything with the launcher connected to this website edition takes an agonizingly long time to update and load.

Open your game folder and create a desktop short cut to launch IL*2 without the updater running in the background.

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Xxxx\bin\game and right click on the line with IL2 and a red star (application file) and Send it to your desktop.

You only need use the launcher downloaded from original install for updates.