BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 57

Am I the only one having gamecrashes after a few minutes (maybe 10-15) of playing this weekend?

Never had this problem before :(

Nope, have been having them as well, last two weekends also.

Very random for me.

Really enjoyed the new plane. Still not sure if the trim controls should work or not (need to search the forums I know). As to the delay decision, I'm restired now for almost 11 years, but I can stil remember (almost) my days as the VP of Marketing Communications for a Fortune 500 company. Working with our IT people on major projects was always a grunt-and-go situation. But I will tell you that the people we served appreciated hearing from us telling them there would be a delay until we were sure our product would work than when (and it did happen) we launched to meet a deadline and fell on our faces. Bravo, developers, bravo!...you have been doing this job the way it should be done and you can be proud of the product. I look forward to next week and the MP test.

I look forward to next week and the MP test.

I am looking forward to the QMB, as a single player I really want to have a go with it.

I would also be very interested in what their plans are for campaign, career...

Thank you for making the YAK-1. She is a very cool plane and she will be a real favorite of mine. I hope I get to play with her for a little while tonight.  :salute: MJ

For those that don't know anything about WW2 aviation history... (which is very few here but I just feel like spouting off at the mouth) In real life WW2 the Germans outperformed the Russians in the air not because of the quality of their planes, but the quality of the training the average Russian pilot received. The Russian government at the time was more concerned with getting as many pilots in the air as possible as quickly as possible than the quality of their training. Their flying machines were on par with their enemies, but their training was not. It was a cruel strategy for their own side, but an effective one. It also explains how German aces managed to wrack up 200 kills against pilots in similarly performing machines....

Partly right, in all aviation biography and books about Eastfront aviation the fact is that from 1943 and up the russians got quite a number of highly experienced and well trained pilots. This number grow until the war ended. While the German side suffered hard by loosing pilots witch got partly replaced by very poor trained pilots. LA 5 and LA 7 late war was well performing planes witch in many ways outperformed German AC in some areas , Germans got fuel with very bad quality late war also making the performance poorer than it normally would. 

There are many aspects to consider, also many experienced pilot got transferred to join the defense of the reich. Erich Hartman refused such a transfer, he would stay with his men. Witch cost him several years in Russian prisoncamp after been handed over by the americans

After thoroughly testing this update, I must say the Yak-1 is pretty good, even if it's unfinished! Great job!

I still have a few issues though:

- I get CTD-s in every Stalingrad mission

- Flak is ridiculously accurate. I think it's way overdone

- AI gunners suffer from the same problem as in RoF. They are sniper machines. As soon as Stuka gunners can draw a bead on me my plane is ablaze after 3-4 rounds.

- I think the 109 limits are wrong, it should be 2700 rpm, 1.42 ata, 3 minutes // 2500 rpm, 1.30 ata, 30 minutes // 2300 rpm, 1.15 ata, no time limit.

- I think the 109 limits are wrong, it should be 2700 rpm, 1.42 ata, 3 minutes // 2500 rpm, 1.30 ata, 30 minutes // 2300 rpm, 1.15 ata, no time limit.

Second that. And i think this has been critizised many times before. So adding another voice cannot hurt here.

Second that. And i think this has been critizised many times before. So adding another voice cannot hurt here.

I tested this right after take off. Damage occurs after 2,5 minute full power, and after 22 minutes with 2500 RPM. So it us the full power where you have to be especially careful.

After thoroughly testing this update, I must say the Yak-1 is pretty good, even if it's unfinished! Great job!

- Flak is ridiculously accurate. I think it's way overdone

- AI gunners suffer from the same problem as in RoF. They are sniper machines. As soon as Stuka gunners can draw a bead on me my plane is ablaze after 3-4 rounds.

Same here.

I wouldn't know about the 109 specs but it does appear at the moment that I have to fly at about half throttle just to keep the engine from breaking.

Put graphics settings on high, graphics settings on ultra causes CTD.

Flak sounds work in Novice mode; No sounds in Expert mode.

Flying bf109 dogfight missions

- I think the 109 limits are wrong, it should be 2700 rpm, 1.42 ata, 3 minutes

btw - is there any exact source of this? As the only table with time limit`s for DB601 available for us - is handbuch on DB601 A-B engine, and it states 1 minute for 1.4 ata

Two little details;

First in the 'Dogfight' missions there should maybe a possibility to turn down the flak or dca or triple A it is nearly impossible to fight a enemy fighter and t not be hit by the ground fire in this missions!

Flak damages;

flak_damages.jpg

Also could the team correct the damage model of the propellers in the game, please?!

On the tip of one propeller blade and no damage?!;

solid_propeler.jpg

Edited by senseispcc

From flying Yak during saturday I assume that overheating of klimov is not implemented yet.Correct? "Temperatura vody" stayed at 75° all the time.I did not checked "Temperatura masla" gauge though.

btw - is there any exact source of this? As the only table with time limit`s for DB601 available for us - is handbuch on DB601 A-B engine, and it states 1 minute for 1.4 ata

Isnt the F4 supposed to have the DB601-E Engine?

Look here: http://kurfurst.org/Performance_tests/109F4_Datenblatts/F1-F4_triebweks_Feb42.jpg

There is also more info on the Engine http://kurfurst.org/Performance_tests/109F4_Datenblatts/

But i am sure you already know that website?

Edited by VSG1_Winger
  • Upvote 1

There's a figure for the 601N which gives 3 minutes, haven't seen any for the E. In any case DB pretty much dropped stating time limits for their engines in manuals thereafter because the time limits are meaningless. You use take off/emergency power for take off and in an emergency, and combat/climb in combat and for climbing. That's how it was done anyway in practice, and that's what later manuals I know advise.

If manuals give time limits, mid war engine manuals usually give 3 minutes of WEP, late war 10 minutes. Seems to have been some sort of accepted standard within the Luftwaffe.

• Upvote 2

I expect the aircraft will be revealed in their full glory when the pro skinners finally get busy - there will be really substantial improvements.

Not wanting to be overcritical here but the above skin reminds me of something out of original il-2.

Panel lines and detailing is really coarse and crude.

I respect your opinion, but I am thinking the exact opposite: I am amazed by the quality and the accuracy of the default skins in BoS, especially as far as the new Yak-1 is concerned. 

For comparison, here is a screenshot found on the net of an excellent skin for the early Yak-1 from the original IL-2 simulator:

ddragon.jpg

Much better ;)

I just red in one of my sources about DB601N engine having a sort of clockwork device to bring engine to normal conditions (boostpressure wise) when exceeding 1min of usage (with take-off).It looks like it was not possible to overrun this max boost setting.Very clever.This is what is written there:

Boost pressure is, in the first instance, controlled direct by a throttle located in the pressure air stream between supercharger and cylinders, and operated by the pilot, but a second throttle in the same air flow is automatically actuated by servo mechanism so that , should the boost pressure rise above a certain point, the second throttle overrides the effect of the pilot's throttle, and the engine continues to run under safe conditions of supercharging.

An ingenious mechanism allows for increased boost and power for take-off for the duration of one minute. When opening up, the pilot gives an increased movement to his throttle
lever, which also operates a clockwork gear in the control mechanism. This clockwork device keeps the throttle at its extra opening until a small slipstream-operated windmill retards the opening at the end of a minute, and the engine then returns to its normal full-throttle power.

I've only read that about the DB601A/B, and even there only in early manuals. The DB601N documents I have dated April 1940 and later contain no such information. The clockwork was definitely removed at some point in the DB601 development, certainly before late 1942. Interesting you have found this information for a DB601N.

It is from article in british press (Flight) from april 1942.They wrote about BB601N most probably from some shot down or captured early Fridrich.But why would they remove that clockwork device?It sounds pretty much as very good mean to reduce human errors.

''not reliable'' doesnt go well along with more typical german ''overengineering'' :biggrin: 

I suppose the pilots wanted to decide for themselves if saving engine life is more important than saving their own life.

• Upvote 1

Fair point but IMO not strong enough to remove such device.In all air forces pilots were strictly forbidden to ''abuse'' engine limits.In VVS you could get straight to penal unit. There must be smtg else behind.I would suspect simplification of production,maybe.On the other hand Kommandogereat of Fw190 is one hell of pneuservoclockwork nightmare :biggrin:

Edited by Brano

It's like a governor cut-off.

It limits the power to keep the engine alive.

In normal flying conditions, I'd have my say about it, but especially in war time conditions, I'm pretty sure I would not want such a device on my crate (if I had any say in it, that is...).

The moment it cuts down power may be the moment I need that power most, fully realizing I may damage the engine.

On at least one modern day aircraft I know for a fact that these cut off limiters were tripped and not functional.

When you need the overpower (so to speak) it should be there.

Bf 109F-2 - if i not mistaken, this is was plane 9209 from 6./JG52 - which was captured by USSR, in late 1941 or early 1942, was equipped with engine without clockwork, as and F-4, this is clearly written in descriptions of planes...

i think, it's could be permanent improvement of engine, effect of "wartime" etc, for example, i heard about same story with BMW 801, during 1942...

btw, in report of NII VVS really have information about clockwork for fw 190 (1 minute), moreover, i a bit read about this and 1.42 was exactly cleared during autumn 1942, right?

further, ~10-15 minutes of boost/forsazh, most likely, it's exactly BMW 801 with 1.58/1.65 ata and DB 605 with MW 50... even 5 minutes for DB 601 E it's a bit much, i think, recently i quickly checked design of DB 601 A/N/E, and DB 605 A, and "3 minutes" looks like best version... although, for late'41 or early'42 (DB 601 E), late'42 (DB 605 A), 1 minute looks more correctly, than 3 minutes... and examples of other engines etc, in fact, hints at ~5 minutes...

just my simple thoughts about...

Might be that it was individualy removed?

On the other hand I read about Klimov 105PF to be able to run at full boost pressure for over 200 hours  :ph34r:  Though it was value obtained during standing tests.When mounted in Yak,it suffered from poor performance of cooling system and overheated very quickly (even with radiator flaps fully open).Thats why I wonder if overheating is implemented in Yak (as released last Friday).From what I observed i would say no.

And btw Klimov 105PF engine should be installed in serial production from 10th plane of 79th series (july 1942).I found in manual from 16.april 1942 (thanks Requiem) that it still reffers to previous M105 PA engine.

Might be that it was individualy removed?

i dont know, maybe... it's report about f-2/f-4z, and there just written - "in contrast to DB 601 A, "автомат форсажа выключен"...

When mounted in Yak,it suffered from poor performance of cooling system and overheated very quickly (even with radiator flaps fully open).Thats why I wonder if overheating is implemented in Yak (as released last Friday).From what I observed i would say no.

this is was real problem, yes... and i agree, in total, but i think because it's winter and it's just alpha...

And btw Klimov 105PF engine should be installed in serial production from 10th plane of 79th series (july 1942).I found in manual from 16.april 1942 (thanks Requiem) that it still reffers to previous M105 PA engine.

i know this technical description, yes, it's just TD'42 about yaks with m-105pa and CO2... installation of m-105pf, on ALL yaks, starting from plane №1570, ie 15th plane of 70 series... so, some planes of 69 series with pf it's correctly... improvements cooling of engine, it's very difficult question, in fact, there is no adequate information and pictures about this, only several mentions about planes after s70...

A question

You will respect the manuals exactly ? ( handbuch  ? )

Synchronous firing can be made under varios conditions of engine speed - from 1300 - 2400 revs/minute, NOT 2500 RPMs

You're going to model the  aircraft, like as fresh from the factory ?

The change from boosted mainfold pressure ( 1.180mm Hg ) as a rule is allowed only once engine has been run for longer than 10 hours

Few will be able to understand me.

If we follow exactly  the rules  in manuals  ( handbuch ),  very  bad things will come both sides.

I know you can understand me, please use common sense.

I am a great fool, but if  we must use the manuals exactly...I will enforce the manuals, or at least I'll try.

Edited by Mustang

Hello Bivalov,

Can you point me to your source for Yak? It seems to be very interesting.I have only monografy from Robert Bock (he compiled infos from russian sources mainly) but it is 10 years old and maybe new datas for production series are available now.Thanks a lot  :salute:

Hello Bivalov,

Can you point me to your source for Yak? It seems to be very interesting.I have only monografy from Robert Bock (he compiled infos from russian sources mainly) but it is 10 years old and maybe new datas for production series are available now.Thanks a lot  :salute:

i take information from "yak-1" of S. Kuznetsov (2010), this is best modern source about yak-1, be sure... :) although, btw, author still works with documents and he said that have information even for new edition... and i found mention about s79, this is really old compilation or something like this, although, s79 can hint on something, but i have no ideas...

A question

You will respect the manuals exactly ?

anything related to tech documentation - would be ok.

PS: actually by summing all available tech documents on German airplanes we decided to rise Start und Notleistung for DB601E (2700/1.42) to 3 min, so youll be able to test it in next session.

• Upvote 5

PS: actually by summing all available tech documents on German airplanes we decided to rise Start und Notleistung for DB601E (2700/1.42) to 3 min, so youll be able to test it in next session.

Hi Viks,

good decission, it was a clockwork timer, after 3 min it cutted down the ata to 1.3, take a look here:

d7zumvhv.jpg

Edited by =LD=dhyran
  • Upvote 1

Good news! Thanks for the headsup.

Will there be a realistic engine model for the final release or do you plan to continue with the time limits?

Am I the only one having gamecrashes after a few minutes (maybe 10-15) of playing this weekend?

Never had this problem before :(

No- I had crashes too but only with the yak

Thank you very much for your response. 
No objections here. The developers show the professional work, It is really a hard work for small team.
I know the developers maybe must read Hundreds of pages from manuals ( handbuch ), That is a nightmare.
I feel a sad, because the develpers can not have more time and money.
The  developers are running a race against the clock, 
That does not do justice to the giant work.