dburne

New Virpil Throttle - VPC Mongoos T-50 CM

Nice improvements in throttle grips design.

Seems they figure that a 'flight game controller' should be adapted for game needs and not follow 99% of the design of that "badass 5th generation fighter". :)

Oh dear! Not going to be able to resist this one......better break open the piggy bank!

I was a bit jealous until i read the part where it says they got rid of the detents. That is for me what takes the throttle to the next level. 

Im totally over it now.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:41 AM, dburne said:

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/541-introducing-the-vpc-mongoost-50cm-throttle/

And yes has an analogue mini-stick.

Available in July.

Now this one I will likely get.

Looks very interesting. Can´t wait for the first review, because it looks like a good addition to my Ravcore Javelin  https://www.ravcore.com/produkty/javelin/

If you end up getting this and want to sell the warthog throttle let me know.

Oh this kinda bugs me, I bought the T-50, the T-50CM looks a good bit better but not enough to justify buying it again. 

😕

1 hour ago, Soilworker said:

Oh this kinda bugs me, I bought the T-50, the T-50CM looks a good bit better but not enough to justify buying it again. 

😕

Yeah kind of the way I feel about the new Mongoos base and stick.

The throttle as I don't have one yet, is tempting to finally replace the Warthog throttle.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Yeah kind of the way I feel about the new Mongoos base and stick.

The throttle as I don't have one yet, is tempting to finally replace the Warthog throttle.

I replaced my Warthog with it, massive improvement over an already great throttle. 

I'm so glad you posted this.

I bit the bullet, and finally purchased one of the old throttles, literally the day that the new one was announced... If I didn't check this forum, I would have never known I just purchased an outdated version.

I cancelled my order, and now am waiting for the new release.

I'm really considering the new MongoosT-50 CM2 grip, with the WarBRD base. I like the VKB MCG Pro too, because it's not as high on the desk. But... The VKB wastes two potentially very valuable hats for damn analog sticks.... On the other hand, I love the way my Black Mamba Mk. III feels, it fits my hand perfectly, but I desire more buttons.

Errr. Decision, decisions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Warpig said:

On the other hand, I love the way my Black Mamba Mk. III feels, it fits my hand perfectly, but I desire more buttons.

Errr. Decision, decisions.

I know!

First world sucks, don't it! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

...the other hand, I love the way my Black Mamba Mk. III feels, it fits my hand perfectly, but I desire more buttons.

Probable Kosmosima grip is the ideal "upgrade" for Mamba - when/if VKB make compatible connector version, 

has more HAT's and buttons, and is low profile, with ergonomics optimized for desktop use.

Only downside is that don't have the analog lever like in MCG's and VPC T50's, very convenient for planes with "differential brakes"(e.g.IL-2).

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sokol1 said:

Probable Kosmosima grip is the ideal "upgrade" for Mamba - when/if VKB make compatible connector version, 

has more HAT's and buttons, and is low profile, with ergonomics optimized for desktop use.

Only downside is that don't have the analog lever like in MCG's and VPC T50's, very convenient for planes with "differential brakes"(e.g.IL-2).

It's just a shame, because if VKB made a MCG Pro with hats replacing the analog sticks, it would be the most perfect flight stick ever created.

Do you know if the top POV stick can be used as a 4-way hat? I could probably live with that.

Edited by Warpig

43 minutes ago, Warpig said:

It's just a shame, because if VKB made a MCG Pro with hats replacing the analog sticks, it would be the most perfect flight stick ever created.

Do you know if the top POV stick can be used as a 4-way hat? I could probably live with that.

Yes.

I use the top POV as buttons, and then if I press and hold for 3 seconds I have it set to become relative axis.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yes.

I use the top POV as buttons, and then if I press and hold for 3 seconds I have it set to become relative axis.

What do you use the relative axis for?

2 minutes ago, Warpig said:

What do you use the relative axis for?

Gunsight adjustments in the Spit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Gunsight adjustments in the Spit.

Oh, nice idea!

I think I'm going with this stick. Maybe in the future VKB will release a modified MCG grip that replaces the other analog. One can only dream. :)

23 minutes ago, Warpig said:

Oh, nice idea!

I think I'm going with this stick. Maybe in the future VKB will release a modified MCG grip that replaces the other analog. One can only dream. :)

You can assign buttons to an axis.

See here for how to add a button to the brake lever axis.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2868

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warpig said:

Yes, not sure but think that in  MCG  PRO default profile mini-sick has two modes,  analog axes and HAT, switch between with mini-stick press button.

Anyway their VKB DevCfg software allow leave only the HAT mode (+ center push button)  if want.

The only thing that you miss is the "click" feel when using mini-stick as HAT.

Can set mini-stick axes as incremental (without return to center) and use as "Stabilizer Adjust" in IL-2:Bo'X, by press (up or down) and hold until trimmed.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

New version of Virpil VPC Configuration Tool.

Now you can split the throttle in two devices, one with buttons up to # 32 buttons and the other in the buttons above #32.

So can map all button in game controls GUI without need use keyboard emulation using mode selector, what will surpass Il-2:Bo'X' 64 buttons support.

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/558-vpc-configuration-tool-test-releases/

https://forum.virpil.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=876

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1

I installed Configuration Tool 20190628.  After starting it, it recognized my throttle and stick.  When I click on the throttle in the listed devices, it said I needed to do a firmware update.  I went to the firmware section.  I checked the firmware box and only one file was listed.  I proceeded with auto update which said it completed successfully.  It then said to create a profile.  I created a profile for the throttle clicking the save calibration box.  I then clicked on the Save VPC Device button.  After this I noticed none of the axes indicated movement so I started a calibration.  The calibration only listed 3 axis but on calibrations of previous versions there were 6 (missing included A1 & 2).  After finishing the calibration I clicked Save VPC Device again.  At this point the throttle dropped off as a listed device and the LEDs on the throttle turned from blue to pink for all modes.  When I viewed my devices through Control Panel the throttle no longer showed but I have a listing for 2 VPC MT-50 Sticks.  I did a shutdown and restart and the throttle no longer shows as a device in the OS and the pink LEDs are still present.

The throttle is now a brick.

Based on what is said there, you need reload and save the profile again after calibration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/cebhyj/problems_with_vpc_configuration_tools/

Actually the best source for help is Discord HOTAS/HOSAS channel - with their horrible interface "What's App" like. VirPil representative used to hang there.

https://discord.gg/szqaJE7

Thanks Sokol.  OK, fixed, here's what I did.

I started the Configuration Tool.  Since only the stick was listed in the device list box I unplugged its USB cord.  Since that was the only device listed I thought the box would go empty but instead a "stick" device remained.  I click on it and then created the new throttle profile and calibrated it then clicked Save VPC Device.  After that was completed I plugged in the stick.  It then showed as a stick in the device box.  I created the profile and calibrated it and saved that.  All seems to be back to normal.

It never asked me to do a firmware update of the stick which I thought was odd.  Also, on older versions of the Configuration Tool there were sections for Buttons and LED.  There are none on this new version.

I am now using Configuration Tool v190628.  I noticed that on my joystick the center value is now 8192 vs 4096 using older versions of the configurator.  Could someone explain the implications of this?

I am having an issue where the input to IL-2 for both the axes and buttons pauses intermittently.  The pause lasts about 1 second, just long enough to drill myself into the ground or miss a shot on a bandit.  I have only experienced this with the new software and firmware.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I noticed that on my joystick the center value is now 8192 vs 4096 

Suggest that axis resolution was increased from 13 bits (8192) for 14 bits (16384).

New test version of software and firmware was released in July, 23.

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/558-vpc-configuration-tool-test-releases/

"Additional firmware update (for encoders delays have halved)"

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sokol1 said:

Suggest that axis resolution was increased from 13 bits (8192) for 14 bits (16384).

New test version of software and firmware was released in July, 23.

"Additional firmware update (for encoders delays have halved)"

Thanks Sokol,

Do you know what the additional firmware is?

EDIT:

The additional firmware is: Firmware_vpc_[CNT-ATMEGA32U4].hexc

The firmware included in Configuration Tool v20190723 is: Firmware_vpc_[CNT-ATMEGA32U4].hexc

They appear to be identical.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Thanks again Sokol.  OK, put the newer Firmware in.  Same name but size was different.  Now to test whether that will fix what was causing my pauses.

Posted (edited)

And the answer is, it did not fix the problem.  Here's what is strange,  I'm not sure it's the fault of the hardware.  If I watch an axis in a rocking movement in the Configuration Tool, the proprieties OS, or in the Input Viewer of Joystick Gremlin I see no input lag whatsoever.  If I go into IL-2 while NOT flying, and go to Key Mapping for the pitch or roll and look at the stick's movements in Input Responses I also see no lag.   EDIT: I have been able to replicate the lag while in game but not flying.

If however I go into QMB and, while in level flight, go to an axis Input Response and test it by rocking the stick, I will see intermittent lag.  For example, during the rocking movement, I'll pull the stick back, then press it forward but the stick will stop somewhere on the downward movement and stay there and I'll be at the top of the stroke and all of a sudden it releases.  The lag is roughly one second.

The problem exists not only for the axes but also for button presses.  I have eliminated Joystick Gremlin as a possible cause by running IL-2 without it and the problem persists.

Very strange and a show stopper.

Posted (edited)

Screenshot of Joystick Gremlin tools input viewer monitoring the pitch movement while in game settings, input responses (not flying).  The blue curves are the back and forth movement of the pitch, with the green circle indicating where the lag appeared.   Tests in JG outside of the game, prior and subsequent to the screenshot, were unable to duplicate the lag over much longer periods of time.

48396590581_625cd76b36_h.jpg

And the roll lag:

48397187737_c2fc5c1389_h.jpg

I have been unable to see any lag on the MFG Crosswind yaw.

First of all sorry if my posts have gone OT.  I believe I have the issue resolved.

When I first did my new firmware updates I had only the throttle plugged in, completed the update and calibration, then connected the joystick and completed its update and calibration with the throttle still connected.

Yesterday, I did them one at a time then reconnected both of them.  I have flown a number of sorties without the pauses happening.  I hate to speak too soon but I think this resolved the issue.

Hey guys,

I received my new virpil throttle yesterday and am absolutely loving it. I've tried mapping the oil/water radiators to two of the three encoder knobs on the bottom right and am having some issues. Each click won't register and instead I'm having to turn the knob quite a lot for only a 1 or 2% change. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Cheers

6 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I hate to speak too soon but I think this resolved the issue.

Ya, spoke too soon, still totally buggered.

G'day People,

If this is the right place to ask... Just received new Mongoos T-50 throttle tonight (so smooth) and all seemed to go well with installing software, updating firmware, calibrating etc. In game , however,  the throttle percentage occasionally flicks around wildly. If I've got the throttle percentage up around 80% and pull it back a hair, it will go down (for example) to 18%, stay there long enough to notice until I push the throttle up a touch and it jumps back to the original 80% or goes up slightly higher. A few seconds later the same thing happens. Or on low throttle percentage, it will do the opposite.

Can't seem to recreate in either Il-2s throttle curve screen or the VPC config tools. Calibrated a few times, seemed to go okay each time and no change.

Any ideas?

TIA

G'day again,

Well I think I have solved my own problem above. I had bound the right hand throttle twice. Once near the top of the key binding page at "Engines throttle control" and again down lower called "Engine 1throttle control". I removed the second binding and bingo. All good.

Don't know why but the second binding was inverted. Throttle full forward was 0%. I'm guessing the poor game was getting totally confused being given two different values for the same throttle. That would explain why I couldn't recreate the problem in any of the config tools too, now that I think of it.

Having a ball with my new toy.

Just now, SamVimes said:

G'day again,

Well I think I have solved my own problem above. I had bound the right hand throttle twice. Once near the top of the key binding page at "Engines throttle control" and again down lower called "Engine 1throttle control". I removed the second binding and bingo. All good.

Don't know why but the second binding was inverted. Throttle full forward was 0%. I'm guessing the poor game was getting totally confused being given two different values for the same throttle. That would explain why I couldn't recreate the problem in any of the config tools too, now that I think of it.

Having a ball with my new toy.

:good:

Happens to all of us - been there done that lol.

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

:good:

Happens to all of us - been there done that lol.

I have my moments.🤦‍♀️

Wondering which one I'm better off binding for flying twins? The one I'm used to using, "Engines throttle control" or both of the lower ones, "Engine 1throttle control" and "Engine 2 throttle control". Or doesn't it matter?