Sign in to follow this  
Gambit21

Racing Sims

...I'm a long time race fan, and of racing sims.

Back in the day I spent hundreds of hours in Grand Prix Legends, a bit of time in GTR2 later on.

However when Windows 7 came along my Logitech wheel would not longer work and I dropped racing sims for a while.

Now waiting for the BoBp map to hit beta so that I can start in earnest on the new campaign, I'm getting the itch again, and just purchased Assetto Corsa Competizione.

I was tempted by Assetto Corsa (the original) because of the massive content/amount of mods, not to mention the Grand Prix Legends mod, and it's the historic cars and track

where my heart truly lies. However Competizione has the latest and greatest physics (and I do like the GT3 cars somewhat) not to mention build in the U4 game engine.

So physics wins over content for now.

With no new wheel yet, (working on that one) I'm practicing with an X-Box One controller. It sucked at first compared to the feel/immersion of a wheel but I'm developing some muscle memory and doing some good laps at Monza and Zolder now.

Good stuff. Anyone aside from raaid into racing?

• Like 2

Yep, I like to play some racing games every now and then. I really only ever played NASCAR and Forza, haven't been playing much new things recently.

I'm mostly into the early Grand Prix and road races from the 30s. I really like the craftsmanship of the early cars.

1927_Bugatti_Type_35C_Grand_Prix_0005.jp

Drag racing is also pretty cool. My dad used to race against other people on the back roads. They'd all get together and paint a finish line across the road in white paint and race.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's been years since I last held a steering wheel that was attached to a desk. GT Legends, >70's Cortina was one I chose often, if memory serves me right :). 

Another member of the IL-2 forums posted some YouTube videos of Project Cars 2, in VR driving a Lotus that looked good. Thinking of giving that one a further look at some point.

i dont like that much the skidding physics of asseto corsa but its nice for multiplayer racing

Posted (edited)

Oh man yeah I used to many years ago, was almost addicted to it.

GPL, Nascar by Papyrus. F1. Spent many hours a week with it.

Kind of got burned out on it and have not done any racing since.

Now with VR I have been tempted to get a wheel and get back into it. 

Edited by dburne

I have Project Cars 2... I love the 60's and 70's GP cars.

The old 60's circuits are well done.

I've said it before, if someone was to do an up to date version of GPL I think I would rarely be on a flight sim.

59 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I have Project Cars 2... I love the 60's and 70's GP cars.

The old 60's circuits are well done.

I've said it before, if someone was to do an up to date version of GPL I think I would rarely be on a flight sim.

Yeah GPL was so awesome. I was quite depressed when Papyrus folded.

• Sad 1

Asseto Corsa has a GPL mod - it looks outstanding. I’ll be all over that at some point. I’m looking forward to racing at old Spa, Silverstone and Zandvoort again.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is the new release (final release on the 29th) and it’s strictly GT3 cars.

Old Spa on PCars 2 is very good... there's also a cracking circuit around the hills and lakes up in Scotland, but I can't remember the name of the circuit!

Banochbrae? Forgive spelling

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Assetto Corsa GPL Mod review

My understanding after some research/catching up...from a physics standpoint.

This is includes, and perhaps especially tire physics.

1. Assetto Corsa Competizione. Latest and greatest physics etc.

2. Assetto Corsa...pretty damn good, best of the rest still and TONS of content.

3. IRacing (FYI this is David Kaemmer's baby...he's the physics guy from Papyrus/GPL) Some complaints about tire physics

4. Project Cars 2...good, but not considered on the level of the top sims in this list.

All of the above is debated back and forth of course to some extent.

GPL physics were amazing for the time, but Kaemmer did get the slip angels wrong which resulted in the "on ice" low speed grip characteristics.

That sim is 20 years old now, and the physics stand up amazingly well (especially the 65 mod) but as you'd have to expect

has still been surpassed in the physics department.

While my heart is with the 67 F1 cars, I'm going to put some time into Competizione for a bit, then get the original Assetto Corsa and the GPL mod once I have another wheel.

When the new BobP map get's here though I won't be driving much for a while.

I find motor racing - like football - is often best viewed standing up:biggrin:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

LOL!... that was pretty wild!

12 hours ago, Dakpilot said:

Banochbrae? Forgive spelling

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Yes mate, that's the one... take any of the 60's F1 cars around that circuit and villages. It's pure fun!

Edited by Trooper117

12 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I find motor racing - like football - is often best viewed standing up:biggrin:

Ahahahaha, couldn't help it, 😂

I found this, it's a Mod for rFactor 2: http://www.aussielegends.xfactorracing.com/index.php

When I was younger, I drove cars like these :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=135&v=X4P0HNHIwro

iRacing always seemed "cool" because of the sim aspects, but any game that requires a subscription can F*** off. 

I enjoy Rally and those games are hard to come by. Naturally I play the DiRT Rally games, they aren't perfect but they are the best we have currently. nb4 RiChArD bUrNs iS sTiLl bEtTeR.

I bought asseto for my dad after I built him a meme-machine as a retirement gift... and I played just a little to set him up with settings ect... I was really impressed with how the cars felt honestly. 

As with all games I favor realism stuff. However I am actually finding that the game Wreckfest is more like FUNFEST... not the most realistic but it has soft body physics/damage model. It's banger racing/demolition derby. So when people make a "clean" lobby I laugh... anyways it is the quintessential Boomer-tier racing game and I highly recommend it. 

I also enjoy the F1 games just for time trial. I call them "shifting simulators" reee reeee reeeeeee reeeeeee reeeeeeeee reeeeeeeeeeeee. 

Yeah iracing can kiss my ass.

I loved watching WRC (when Sebastean Loeb as coming up) when I had Speedvision, but never driven a rally sim.

I just watched some actual onboard from Blancpain GT (Nissan Nismo GT3) at Monza, then drove Monza in the same car in Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC from now on)

F'ing DEAD NUTS on point...I love it.

Can't wait till the 911 get's here later this month with final release - I've always been a Porsche guy.

Still playing heavily modded GPL every now and then - CanAm cars and '67 prototypes + period correct tracks are too fun to pass on them, also with a handful of exceptions, they're just not available in newer sims, sadly. Same for historic cars & tracks in Assetto Corsa.

In my case it's mostly about hotlapping leisurely, however (or lukewarmlapping I guess ;) ), rather than "racing" per se.

I have 3 of these saved on my hard drive still lol.

It happened so rarely. Many races I didn't finish, if I did finish it was usually Spa, Zandvoort or Silverstone.

Of those I think I only ever won 3. Even this one I think I had the AI tuned down a bit to a reasonable level so that I could compete with them.

GPL paper1.jpg

I have all of Assetto Corsa's stuff, but as I haven't used it recently I was unaware of the GPL mod.

From watching some of the videos it looks pretty good, but I really don't like all the flames coming from the exhausts.

I followed racing in the 60's as a kid. Jim Clark was my hero, lol!... but I can never remember seeing flaming exhausts in any of the news reels etc.

grand prix legends and assetto corsa physics have nothing to do imho gpl are better

Posted (edited)

Yeah doubt a 20 year old physics model designed to run on a 400 MHz Pentium 4 is better.

...and the slip angles are demonstrably incorrect.

Edited by Gambit21

the right physics is a question of the right equations

proper physics for a racing sim could be run in a sinclair spectrum the rest of the processing power is for eye candy

in som closed turn i tested somtimes how was the slip in a real car

gpl nailed it assetto corsa is far from it 

Posted (edited)

blah blah blah

It was found and proven a long time ago that the slip angles were incorrect (corrected in the 65 mod) which resulted in too little low speed grip - the end.

GPL was great, and David Kaemmer was ahead of his time, but he wasn't 20 years ahead of his time...sorry.

Even GTR2 improved on tire modeling.

Edited by Gambit21

i still have left to do to finish a gpl race at maximum level

another thing at which gpl is superior to asseto is ai

adjustable ai for the handicapped i guess in assetto, at least i know it would take me a huge effor to beat hill in a grand prix

I lost track of how many times the GPL AI took me out - there is nothing great about it, however it was in most cases "good", and better than AI in sims that were released even years later.

Including perhaps AC.

I cant' speak of AC AI, but ACC AI is far, FAR superior to GPL.

There is no aspect that GPL is superior to ACC other than the fact that it models 67 F1 cars...which I'll admit goes a long ways.

I've run 2 races to far with ACC AI, and I'm quite impressed.

now with my new machine im really enjoyin assetto online

i really love those kids who cause havoc on purpose, you just dont ge that fun from ai

and  my g25 wheel was a better investment than an astronomical watch as i had to chose some years ago

Posted (edited)

Assetto Corsa simulators with VR in Mario Andretti’s indoor Karting & Car Razing Experience , very funny ,  in Atlanta , Orlando & San Antonio

4E88F1C6-6D7A-4D25-956E-FD6999003521.jpeg

007A9E51-CEA1-4F35-82B2-68C5DBA22F23.jpeg

F1DA36AD-4DB2-4407-B8D1-C37FD817D477.jpeg

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Like 1

I wonder if we'll ever see this kind of racing game?

790156321_SchneiderTrophy-MomentofTriumphbyGeraldCoulson.thumb.jpg.0e3f76da4bd2fd9da0f3258d498ef242.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've never been a car guy, except the time when I was about 10 years old, when I fancied Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches, well, like most kids at that time. Later on, I had little interest in cars. When I was 18, and got my first car, I still wasn't a fan of fast cars. But then my friend showed me this:

And since then, I'm a big fan of Japanese sports cars, drifting, time attack and rally. Watched tons of Best Motoring, Hot Version, etc videos.

Gran Turismo 5 is my first racing sim that I played heavily with my Logitech Driving Force GT. Several years later, when I got my current PC I spent a crazy amount of money on Thrustmaster's T300rs Wheel,  T3PA-Pro Pedals and TH8A Shifter and started playing Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2. The games are awesome, but I was disappointed with my setup. Not the cheapest ones but didn't feel like much of an improvement compared to the good old Driving Force GT. Even with 3-pedals with an H-pattern shifter it still not even close to the real thing. So I sold everything. Maybe crazy Fanatec stuff is somewhat close to the real car feel, but I ain't gonna spend several grand on a rig, when I could buy used NA Miata for that money and take it to a race track. Waay better than any racing sim. I came to a conclusion that a simple FFB wheel with a sequential shifter will be more than enough for racing sims, unlike the flight sims, where the top notch stuff like Baur's or Virpil or VKB really makes a difference. I got Thustmaster T150. The only thing is, I would still need a shifter, since those paddle shifters are no good. And it seems like TH8A is the only option here. So I'll have to buy one again. But the first thing I'm going to do with it is a conversion to a sequential shifter. That should be well enough for the racing games. For more advanced feeling I've got a real car, but that's a different story.

I miss GT5 and it's thousands of JDM cars that you won't find in other sims, so I might end up getting a PS3 again along with GT6 dvd, since it's an improved version of GT5. It's kind of 1946 for the flight sims. Not interested in GT Sport, since it doesn't have all those cars from the previous ones.

So yeah, first things first I need that shifter again so I could fully enjoy AC, Project Cars2, Dirt1/4/2.0, GT6 and maybe Forza 7. Dang it, that's a lot of stuff. At least, I'll have stuff to do when I occasionally have a break from Great Battles, lol. 

Edited by Arthur-A

On 5/9/2019 at 2:16 AM, Gambit21 said:

With no new wheel yet, (working on that one) I'm practicing with an X-Box One controller.

You can also try the Steam Controller. It has a gyroscopic sensor that can act as a wheel . Works great for Il2 as the stick

Posted (edited)

Great subject as I am also in the market of an Historic car racing VRsim.

I only want to race the pre 1967 F1 cars so the  cigar shaped cars between the 1936 until 1967 and not the winged cars, nor the just like being an insect, 2019 F1car or the brick shape design of the actual leMans car, what are these ugly.

As for the gear, I think the Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Integral Racing Wheel Alcantara Edition is the best bang for your bucks. It does have (the nicer then the Logitech gears), an belt driven FFB and the steering wheel does have an normal size of 30cm. 

In my search for games I did find: 

Project Cars2 only one Lotus historic F1 car.  But great graphics. 

iRacing, only that will needs a monthly fee, so that will be skipped

rFactor, the Steam demo I did try was very ugly, pure comic book graphics, in my eyes not worth to buy, better to go for the original modded GPL. 

Assetto Corsa Ultimate version. Here are nice mods according to a AC forum the must have mods:

https://acstuff.ru/f/d/28-shaders-patch-dynamic-lights

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sol.24914/

https://acstuff.ru/app/

And the GPL mod itself: 

Edited by Dutch2

Is there an option to get rid of that horrible exhaust flame?

13 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Maybe in version 2.3 😁

But if you do have AC you could ask this to the mod maker.

I did btw also read that Automobilista2 will be released in dec2019 on the Project Cars2 game engine and luckily not on the ugly rFactor2. 

• Like 1

does anybody know if in assetto is posible to see peoples names over the cars?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Didn't bug me until you pointed it out.

That said I'm much more concerned with accurate tire physics, sidewall flex, slip angles etc than something like this.

That said yeah I'd wish it wasn't there as well.

ACC full release a few days away, which means the rest of the cars (including the Porsche which is really what I'm waiting for) as well as Spa, Silverstone and the rest of the tracks.

Been having fun with the Nissan at Monza, Hungaroring and Zolder.

Just ripped a mid 1:47 at Monza in the Nissan, which I was surprised to learn is a respectable time, especially in the Nissan.

Again I love the classic cars and tracks the most, but in the end I want the latest and greatest physics graphics, and immersion, and ACC delivers.

I'm hoping for my beloved American tracks to be added later, Laguna Seca, Limerock, Watkins Glen etc. along with some older GT cars.

Edited by Gambit21

Posted (edited)

the thing is i spent years learning the simbin sims and all i learnt concerning skid control is useless in assetto

i dont think there are two sims with even close physics

no wonder i studied in college friction force is independent on how big is the contact area and you know grip is friction

what a waste of time my two degrees

edit:

have you any of guys tried ferrari virtual academy?

is not avalaible no more but you could compete against real f1 pilots hotlapping and checck telemetry to learn

i was shocked at how alonso liked understeer, i understand now if you want to be constant its better

im using myself understeer setups lately in assetto

Edited by raaaid

Well the first thing you have to do is let go of GPL as some sort of physics benchmark at this point.

It was great in many ways, but if cars really handled like that every driver would have died by the 3rd race of the season.

The 65 mod corrected the slip angles and was a great experience, but still dated by current standards.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:24 AM, Nil said:

You can also try the Steam Controller. It has a gyroscopic sensor that can act as a wheel . Works great for Il2 as the stick

Thanks, but I'd rather put that $100 into my next wheel.

Also the Playstation controller with the thumb stick extender is giving fairly precise control I'm finding.

I really enjoy the F1 game as well as Project Cars 2, both are awesome picks for any speed-seeking player. Of course, without a doubt, Forza and Asseto are on top of the racing field as well. I enjoy DiRT, Grid, The Crew and even NFS series - gimme a game with a car and I'll drive it with joy 😄

Posted (edited)

Assetto Corsa is now on Sale at Steam.

AC €10,- and the complete ultimate edition €20,- 

Plus as a bonus A FREE TO TRY VERSION.  

I did give the Free2try version a run and I think this race game has the best looking classic cars for racing in VR. I know Forza Horizon , PC2 and ACC do have better graphics but do not have an collection before 1967 F1 cars. Geuss like in BoX when playing VR you can not go for the full graphic eye candy. 

Yep I went for the AC-UE for €20,- sale. 

Edited by Dutch2

2 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Assetto Corsa is now on Sale at Steam.

AC €10,- and the complete ultimate edition €20,- 

Plus as a bonus A FREE TO TRY VERSION.  

I did give the Free2try version a run and I think this race game has the best looking classic cars for racing in VR. I know Forza Horizon , PC2 and ACC do have better graphics but do not have an collection before 1967 F1 cars. Geuss like in BoX when playing VR you can not go for the full graphic eye candy. 

Yep I went for the AC-UE for €20,- sale. 

Do you have to have a wheel for it? Could you use a joystick for instance?