stupor-mundi

Two OpenTrack instances running possible?

I wonder if someone has tried this and what their experiences were. This is not so much about whether, on the OS, it's possible to do that (I'm sure it is, somehow), but more about:

When OpenTrack is running, IL-2 just recognizes it. There's no UI to make some decision about it. Also, I can make some protocol decisions in OpenTrack, but, the ones I have tried, they just work. So, IL-2 internally must have some rules regarding, what if it finds this Freetrack protocol being active, and that other protocol being active, which one is it going to pick? Is it going to depend on timing? Is it random? And so on...

Reason I'm asking about this: I have EDTracker now, with 3DOF, no X,Y,Z , but I still have a delanclip on my headphones and still have the camera set up.

So, if I were to run 1 Opentrack for EDTracker, 1 Opentrack for the clip, and use FreePIE as a mixer...

This would involve setting the output on the opentrack instances to something FreePIE accepts as input, and setting the FreePIE output to the protocol that's most preferred by IL-2.

But I don't know if IL-2's preference goes by protocol, or if it would just latch onto one of the Opentrack instances, as the preferred application...

2 hours ago, 302_FRANKOL_PL said:

Interesting info about how this functionality (webcam based axis) was apparently integrated into the EDTracker Pro UI.

I've just downloaded mine a few days ago from http://edtrackerpro.mybigcommerce.com/downloads/ where I bought the device. I've checked the version, it's pretty clear I've got the newest one.

It's all a bit confusing since you can DL other, much older it seems, versions from http://www.edtracker.org.uk .

It looks as if they removed this useful functionality from the EDTracker UI.

Posted (edited)

Preliminary result, regarding running 2 instances:

I'm able to start two instances, and choose different config files, and run those configs.

In this way I was able to run 1 config with pointtracker taking the delanclip camera input, and another config taking the EDTracker input.

I then tried various outputs. Annoyingly, the output I want, VJoy, made my opentrack crash every time I try to run such a config.

None of the other outputs seem to do that. This is not some side effect of running 2 instances. I tried it with just 1 instance...

I had Vjoy Monitor on before trying this. Then I quit the monitor and tried again. No crash. Now that it's running I can start vJoy Monitor and it doesnt crash. Odd. There is no config possible when outputting to vJoy. It grabs vJoy Device #1.

Edited by stupor-mundi

Posted (edited)

I've run into a number of issues which my plan. The main one: Vjoy was the idea for "output", and it turned out that FreePIE can only write to those, not read.

This leaves a number of headtracking protocols possible for output, but trying to use one of those with the intention that FreePIE would read it, but IL-2 would ignore it, would require some solid knowledge about how IL-2 choses a headtracking protocol in a situation where more than 1 is available. Then there is "UDP over network", which wouldn't create issues with IL-2, but involves more effort trying to read it into FreePIE.

I've posted on the FreePIE forum (on mtbs3d). If no info is forthcoming I'll probably not pursue it.

What gets in the way is that OpenTrack which is core to all this doesn't have its own forum, which would really be the right place for a thread like this.

Edited by stupor-mundi

I've changed the approach, to have the two OpenTrack instances write to UDP ports, and FreePIE read from there.

The thread on the FreePIE forum is at https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=23182&p=164525#p164525

but maybe it can only be viewed with a login, not sure.

I have this working to the point where it writes to FreeTrack, using the FreeTrack DLL built into FreePIE.

I've also attempted to write to TrackIR instead.

IL-2 isn't enclined to act on this headtracking information (falling back to mouse look).

Now I wonder whether IL-2 somehow identifies where the information comes from, and only accepts certain senders, such as OpenTrack...

Hence my question: has anyone out there successfully sent FreeTrack or TrackIR from FreePIE to IL-2?