Posted (edited)

Tried yesterday Kuban map, Pitool 1.25 and SteamVR app SS 60 % , 72 hz mode with FFR conservative. It's working stable, no single crash and Q is nice but still CPU ( 8700k 4.9 OC) is a botteneck in IL 2 becouse game engine don't use multicore.

FFR helps in some some situations but near ground close to buildings I had dips 70~60 fps or even less in MP dogfight at this map which is very resourcefull in VR

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Thanks 2

Which are caused by the load on the CPU.

I seriously doubt that you would even need FFR with that Strix 2080Ti OC.... ;)

Tried Pitool 129 yesterday and found gunsight distortion caused by the propeller spinning with "smart smoothing". Too bad. Such issue was not there with Pitool 121. 

20 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Pitool 1.25 and SteamVR app SS 60 %

Thanks, nice to hear FFR is finally working.

This is 23.7 million pixels, even with 72Hz  it is a lot of load to GPU.  For sure FFR is helping here. 

I don´t know why FFR is only supported for the 20XX cards, we need it more for the 10XX cards.

Any indication about the % of reduction of rendered pixels for every level of FFR? or reduction of GPU load?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I seriously doubt that you would even need FFR with that Strix 2080Ti OC....

It helps in some terrain situation like Kuban map near cities. Not munch 6~9 fps more depends of alt. Tested with high textures and AAx2 ,distance view 70km , no shadows

For instance in Elite this difference is munch more noticable, + ~20 fps or so.

4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Any indication about the % of reduction of rendered pixels for every level of FFR? or reduction of GPU load?

check this video but this red circles marked by Sweviver is not adequate in my opinion. Conservative mode pixel degradation is almost not visible.

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AVX0 said:

Tried Pitool 129 yesterday and found gunsight distortion caused by the propeller spinning with "smart smoothing". Too bad. Such issue was not there with Pitool 121. 

I did see some double vision in the gunsight at 80Hz as well with v129 but not at 72Hz.  Hiding the prop with 3Dmigoto also eliminated the double vision.  I found that at 80Gz with SmSm flying low over a city I received some judder.  I then dropped to 72Hz and it was smooth.  The Smart Smoothing in v129 seems much better than v121.  For now I'm keeping v129 at 72Hz.  Have not tried FFR yet.

EDIT:  Tried FFR.  It looked good on Balanced, did not really notice much of a difference visually.  As long as it might give me a few more fps I was ready to keep it on.   However, I then put my plane into a spin and it was horrible, hesitation city.  Took FFR off but with SmSm on and did another spin and all looked good.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

I'm loving FFR. Running at 72Hz, it allows to run at a 2885 lines resolution without SmSm, or 4000 with SmSm. I think I'll settle for 2885. 4000 gives a bit more clarity to read the small labels in the cockpit, which is nice but hardly necessary.

I just tried a test at 72Hz with FFR on, no SmS (Kuban map). The hesitation I was seeing before in a spin was not present. This must only be an issue when both are on.

Low over a city I was getting some hesitations which weren’t there with SmS instead. I think for my system and settings, this will work better at the moment.

8 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

check this vide

But this video (from 27-April) say  in minute 16:30 that FFR doesn´t work in IL-2 VR. I understand it was with a previous version of FFR.

I wonder if they have a plan to allow non-RTX cards to run FFR.

v129 just came out 3 days ago.  From Pimax:

4.  Fix the probability crash of some games (such as IL-2) when FFR is on.

FFR and Il2 = great things at least on my 8K

I am getting on the FFR Balanced setting very good results on v129

I do see that I am quite CPU limited though as my experiments have me capped out at around the mid 60's fps wise on PiTool render 0.5 SteamVR Video and App 100% and lowest setting on Il2 Graphics.

This is the same when I bump the PiTool Render up to 0.75 and I am yet to test PiTool Render of 1 on the same setting but I don't thing with Balanced FFR I will loose much on total fps in game.

Unfortunately, Smart Smoothing has gone backwards from v121 and again there is frame tearing where as v121 there were no artifacts with Smart Smoothing in Il2.  I am staying on v129 though because of the drastic improvement in performance with FFR.

Some things you win, some things you loose.  Maybe down the track when Il2 doesn't require Parallel Projections Compatibility, then Smart Smoothing will work better.  Will also be less demanding on the render pipeline as well due to the fewer pixels needed to be pushed down the line.

From my experimentation, best visual results come from SteamVR Vid and App being at 100% and PiTool Render Adjustment being used to dial in the best frame rate for my hardware.  No Anti Aliasing used as it might a little smooth out jaggies but at the cost of blurring the image.  PiTool Render of both 0.75 and 1 gives me good visuals for contacts and identification ans awesome scenery.

I was testing v129 yesterday and had problems with FFR. Pitool 2, steamvr auto. FFR mode was inactive when using 64 and 72 Hz normal and Small FOV. Maybe it has something to do with PT Q settings, i have to give it a try later.

Smarth smoothing is still producing ghosting but not so much as the last version. Gunsight distortion is now present, i didn't have it in the previous version. But im not complaining, this version didn't introduce any new bugs and some of you got working FFR:)

After flying with SmS on for a while I finally had to take it off due to too much double vision of other aircraft in flight.  I also settled on 72Hz and with my settings.  Flying low over a city it maintains 72fps.  I tried FFR again but I don't see any gain in frames (or loss in visuals for that matter) but I do get hesitations when it's on.

I think I'll leave well enough alone for now and try to enjoy the sim.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I also settled on 72Hz and with my settings.  Flying low over a city it maintains 72fps.  I tried FFR again but I don't see any gain in frames (or loss in visuals for that matter)

I'm sorry but you want gain in frames thanks to FFR if you maintain 72 fps everywhere and run 72 hz mode ?:)

Edited by TWHYata_PL

1 minute ago, TWHYata_PL said:

Why you want gain in frames if you maintain 72 fps everywhere and run 72 hz mode ?:)

There are going to be times, e.g. mp, where frames will/may drop below 72.  If FFR would help maintain a higher fps in those situations than without it, I would leave it on, especially since I did not notice any loss of visuals.  Since I get hesitations when using it however, it's  not worth it.

14 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

There are going to be times, e.g. mp, where frames will/may drop below 72

If you are most of the times at 72fps, but in complex scenarios you go below 72 then it is CPU bottleneck. The FFR will not help here. FFR only helps when GPU is the bottlenack.

You would gain a bit with a CPU at 5.0 or 5.1.

Thanks Chili.  Through some testing using fpsvr I have seen certain settings would drive down cpu use.  Just didn't notice FFR was one of them.  Will leave it off.  Had the cpu OC higher in the past but it showed instability.  At current rate it has been stable for a long period.   

I flew in mp last night with over 50+ people where there was pretty solid cloud cover on the Kuban map.  Even on the ground I was surprised how well it maintained near target fps and smoothness.  Once I gained a little altitude I was at a solid 72fps.

Posted (edited)

What are the best pitool and steam settings for I7 7700k gtx1080ti not overclocked 16gb 3000hz ram for il2

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Posted (edited)

My  option to try to run the Pimax  5k RX I will have in estimated 2 weeks  I refuse the Pimax 8k I have now for the highest performance, is at that moment Intel i9 9900k 5 GHz clock CPU and RTX 2080 TI Titan 1.77 GHZ GPU or 

September end 2019  i9 10900K 5.20 GHz clock CPU and faster future Nivida GPU May be of close 2.0 GHz ? 

‘I can not Move Pimax 8k s fabulous but is and authentic beast the best but right now in Multiplayer,with cuts ,  Meanwhile I have try the gyro and take out the base stations with the Pimax 8k and is much more better for the performance, compatibility and better track , more realistic more close to cabin that’s like the success of the Samsung Odyssey the gyroscope.

My PC : right now,

Mother Board: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero ,

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700K 4.70GHz 6 cores , Overclocket constantly from 4.20Ghz to 4.70Ghz .

1 SSD Samsung970 Pro M.2 NVME 1TB , Memory  RAM HyperX Predator DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB(4x8)XMP

Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO- Liquid refrigeration Cooler .

1 Graphic Card nvidia RTX 2080 TI 

Fiber Optic High Speed Movistar +

+1 GHz per second of upcoming arround 2 ms of Ping transfer about data 40 ms ping in Il2  Multiplayer DED ,

As a Single Player every thing runs perfectly.

Also I have done all these settings:

Edited by RAY-EU

Sweviver does a 40 fps brainwarp review of a number of simulators, including IL2. Here's a timestamped cut to his IL2 experience. Short version: prop artifacts and plane "judder" don't look great when using 40 fps interpolated to 80. But his 2080ti if beefy enough to get good framerates, so he would probably play without the 40/80 fps interpolated mode.