stupor-mundi

Joystick axis config possible per file? (Edtracker related)

I'm switching from camera based headtracking to EdTracker.

For the head Yaw and Pitch (and some X,Y,Z, "pseudy 6DOF" style), this goes through OpenTrack.

OpenTrack also shows clearly that EdTracker exposes its data as a pseudo joystick.

I had the idea to try to map head roll to pilot head zoom. This may turn out to be unpleasant, but I won't know until I've successfully set it up.

Pilot head zoom is part of keyboard settings.

I'm only aware of how to do the keyboard settings in-game. Is there a config file I could edit instead?

When you try to associate a joystick setting to pilot head zoom in-game, at the point where you would wiggle a real joystick in a particular direction, for the game to recognize which joystick axis it is, the fake Edtracker joystick is ignored. This makes sense, since you're always moving your head a little, and therefore the Edtracker joystick motions would get in the way of doing any other proper joystick setup.

However, if this could be done in a file, it would overcome that issue.

If this isn't possible, I could still achieve the same thing by feeding the axis through FreePIE to a VJoy joystick, but it'll be more work.

I think you can edit <IL-2 install folder>\data\input\current.actions. Refer to devices.txt in the same folder for the device IDs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lombra said:

I think you can edit <IL-2 install folder>\data\input\current.actions. Refer to devices.txt in the same folder for the device IDs.

Amazingly, it worked!

But yes, as I kinda feared, it turned out to be a questionable idea.

Since the data is coming straight from the EDTracker "joystick", there isn't a tweakable thing like opentrack in between. Meaning, while I can control the scaling for the head roll axis separately in Edtracker (I increased it to a factor 7), the upright head position corresponds to the camera being half zoomed in.

I have to roll my head in one direction to intentionally zoom out, whereas being zoomed out would be good as a relaxed, straight head position.

So yeah, probably not the way forward. interesting though.