Sign in to follow this  
Oberst_Maier

Heavy Bombers

Hi

I recently came back to this game since i got my Track IR 5 today, im installing the game rn and i wondered whether there are any plans of adding more heavy bombers to the game? Four engined bombers to be certain. 

Thank you

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

You will get a lot of flak for asking this as it is a perennial question that has been answered many times but that is not your fault.

The answer is that Jason has categorically stated that there will be no heavies ever.   They take much too long to build; more than twice what a twin engine aircraft does.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

You will get a lot of flak for asking this as it is a perennial question that has been answered many times but that is not your fault.

The answer is that Jason has categorically stated that there will be no heavies ever.   They take much to long to build; more than twice what a twin engine aircraft does.

Oh, alright... Sorry for asking another time 😅 Thats sad but understandable tho.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

afaik they said the last few times somebody asked this that they are not bringing heavy bombers (yet) because AI specifically would bring the game (servers or engine itself) to its knees, since every crew member would have to be a seperate AI simulation. haven't heard that there will be "no heavies ever" or something like that.

keep in mind that in these BoX games they not just add content but also improve the game(engine) overall, as they have done so a few times now. so my best guess would be that nothing is set in stone here, but it may take some (if not a long) time

Edited by EpeeNoire
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not sure it is because of the AI.  The He111 probably has as many gunners as most 4 engine bombers and as many gun positions (which do add a lot to the development time).   It is probably because they really *had* to have JU88s & He111s and PE2s for this war no matter how hard they were to build.  On the other hand, B17s, B24s, Lancasters etc.  don't play any significant part in the Eastern Front battles and are not strictly needed for Bodenplatte or the Pacific either.  They would be 'nice' but flying hundreds of miles to bomb cities is just not what we are simulating plus there is no equivalent for the other side.

You are right though that games evolve so never say never.  The original version of Cliffs Of Dover would only handle 32 players online in the same map and the developer said it was impossible to make it handle more yet in their spare time a bunch of amateurs with very limited access to the code took it up to 100 (80 in practice) and fixed & improved & added dozens of other things that were originally thought impossible.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A few months ago I made the point that the upcoming B25 has the same number of turrets than a Lancaster or a Halifax, so that alone - number of turrets demanding modelling - is no reason. The thing starts making more sense however when you consider the internal 3d modelling for said turrets and other complexities 4-engined planes have. For instance, most heavies I can remember had a dedicated flight engineer with his own seat, instruments and controls. So all things considered I do think it would be a big leap foward in investment.  If you reason that probably less potential buyers would be interested in heavy bombers, probably it is a wise choice from a development's perspective.

Damn.... There are so many interesting 2-engine mediums still left unchecked... the B26, the Mosquito....even the Havoc/Boston! (Edit:  the Lockheed HUDSON, I meant! No more schnaps for me today!).

Edited by danielprates

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

giphy.gif

I wonder what value this post for a discussion like this - or in general - has.

Edited by EpeeNoire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EpeeNoire said:

I wonder what value this post for a discussion like this - or in general - has.

I think he was just 'taking one for the team' to demonstrate how the original question will attract aresholes who are unable to skip over this post and will feel compelled to say something rude 🙂    In many ways the predictability of the rude responses have become in themselves a kind of meta-'Not This Again 🙄'   😜

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

wonder what value this post for a discussion like this - or in general - has

It has mega value... plus, a picture paints a thousand words as they say, instead of a thousand threads asking the same old question.

Edited by Trooper117
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danielprates said:

A few months ago I made the point that the upcoming B25 has the same number of turrets than a Lancaster or a Halifax,

Well, no. The B-25 had no nose turret. Just a single, hand operated, fifty caliber. It's not really a gun turret. It's a gun position. I know it may sound simply like semantics, but there isn't a turret there. 

1 hour ago, danielprates said:

There are so many interesting 2-engine mediums still left unchecked...

A-26!!!!! Please!!!! An important, almost forgotten, airplane. It has NEVER been done in a fight sim. And I don't understand it. The Invader served in WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, and many small wars and rebelions including the attempted Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba. They were converted into buisiness planes and flew for years as water bombers And no flight sim has ever done this airplane. 

I love fighters, but an Invader would turn me into a bomber pilot!

The dead horse post is just symptomatic of some of the members on here. That somehow think they are superior in knowledge and value. To the community than the rest of us plebs.

My opinion is you cannot have a serious WW2 combat flightsim, without heavy bombers.

Particularly the BOBP section of the game. Where 4 engined heavies would have been present, even if not directly involved in said campaign.

No heavy bombers ever, is a game breaker for me. I will just drift away and play something else.

Uboat early access is quite entertaining at the moment.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

And no flight sim has ever done this airplane. 

Pretty sure it was in 'Aces High' but I am not sure if that is still going as most of us migrated to IL2 when it first came out.

EDIT: Yes it is still going  https://www.hitechcreations.com/21-flight-sim/world-war-two-planes/49-planes-of-aces-high

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

21 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Well, no. The B-25 had no nose turret. Just a single, hand operated, fifty caliber. It's not really a gun turret. It's a gun position. I know it may sound simply like semantics, but there isn't a turret there. 

A-26!!!!! Please!!!! An important, almost forgotten, airplane. It has NEVER been done in a fight sim. And I don't understand it. The Invader served in WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, and many small wars and rebelions including the attempted Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba. They were converted into buisiness planes and flew for years as water bombers And no flight sim has ever done this airplane. 

I love fighters, but an Invader would turn me into a bomber pilot!

I don't know anything about the A-26, but it seems very similar to the A-20 that we have, no?

25 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

A-26!!!!! Please!!!! An important, almost forgotten, airplane. It has NEVER been done in a fight sim.

9 minutes ago, Dogbert1953 said:

No heavy bombers ever, is a game breaker for me. I will just drift away and play something else.

Problem is that even now there can't be a lot of fighters, with 1 engine and 1 pilot. 4 engine plan with ~10 people inside would be tought and a bit lame i guess if you would see 4 of them doing bomb runs. I thought it would be nice to have them too but later if you think about it, it's just waste of time and $ to make these if you would not be able to use them correctly. Maybe one day if things will change and somehow limit of planes will be higher but not now. You can always play diffrent il-2 games for diffrent experience. 1946 will let take part in really huge battles:

Posted (edited)

I do appreciate this has been discussed adinfinitum but haven't really kept up with the comings and goings.  I still don't understand why it isn't possible to add drone heavies (not even A.I).  They should really be no more resource intensive than A.I ground units and provide a similar service of populating the enviroment and providing a mission objective.  All the drones need to do is enter stage left, fly straight and level, in formation, (convoy) at about 15 - 20,000 ft, drop bombs on a designated target (even that can be left out if needed), and exit stage right, or vise versa.  As with vehicles, a low poly model, a simple A - B path finding ability (hell, it's even more basic than the ground vehicles, all they need to do is fly in a straight line at a designated altitude) Drones stay in formation until they blow up or recive accumulated damage to the point that they enter a scripted routine of falling out of formation, the crew bails out, the aircraft goes vertical and dives to the ground, all events scripted.  Reducing defensive fire A.I routines can be overcome, if required, by uping the robustness of the Bombers, it doesn't need to be overly complex or realistic, the Bombers are really nothing more than an objective, like a truck convoy, or factory, just mobile and at 20,000 ft.  It would give mission designers a purposful objective to encourage high altitude air combat.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Yes, I know that it was a mod for IL2 1946. But I mean a model that has the correct cockpit. not a modded B-25 pit. Maybe we will see it in here, one day.

Posted (edited)

Opening Il-2 GB to actual modding could potentially kill many, many birds with one stone.

Imagine getting modules for Il-2 GB the same way DCS gets some of its modules. Independent developers selling aircraft, campaigns, etc. And also the potential for free (but also lower quality) aircraft.

Nobody would require you to have them. And for multiplayer, you would have to play the game with mods-off.

Its why Il-2 1946 is a sim from 2006 that is still popular.

Edited by Motherbrain