Sign in to follow this  
LukeFF

Union Pacific 4014 'Big Boy' runs again

Posted (edited)

I used to climb up in this thing back when it was on display at the L.A. County Fairgrounds in the late 80's. So awesome to see a beast like this running again:

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

This video just reignited my childhood obsession with trains :biggrin:

My hometown in Western Virginia is where many of the US locomotives were built. Here is one example that was recently returned to service. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

My hometown in Western Virginia is where many of the US locomotives were built. Here is one example that was recently returned to service.

I'd love to see 611 in person one day. Such a great-looking design. 

Out here in Southern California, we have ATSF 3751, which runs out to San Diego and Los Angeles from time to time. Another one on the list it want to up close:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beautiful Locomotive and one of my favorites. There's something about steam locomotives that you just can't beat.

PRR T1 Trust is building a T1 Duplex, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed one day.

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

ASfWvBS.jpg?1

• Like 3

I don't enjoy or like any North American steam.

To big and ugly for my tastes.

1 hour ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Thats what attracts me to American Steam. I like the fact that it's very powerful and has plenty of character in looks/design.

British Steam is nice but reminds me too much of Thomas the tank engine (tiny and not much character)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I do not know much about steam locomotives. We have a tiny one in my childhood town. 

But I always believed no matter where they are built , the size is determined on weight they expected to pull and range. Not a design

21 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I do not know much about steam locomotives. We have a tiny one in my childhood town. 

But I always believed no matter where they are built , the size is determined on weight they expected to pull and range. Not a design

Well yes, their design/size was determined by what they were intended to do. 

Start about 33:00 for the piston failure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the English engines are beautiful

6 hours ago, Dogbert1953 said:

PFttt

Then you have no taste. :P

I love the British engines though...Duchess are my favorite.

The English engines do have a beauty all their own...but I like the American ones as well.

My Dad has a 1" scale live steam Duchess of Sutherland.

the Big Boy and Daylight were always among my favorites after the Duchess.

All steam is good where ever it comes from. if you think American is to big ,ugly take a look at the narrow gage engines. you just might become narrow minded. lol.

Don't forget about steam tractors and trucks.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

I was looking for that great video.

I love steam in all forms, trains , ships or in this case traction engines. To me this footage is like looking through a window in time long past in HD.:)

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Thanks 1

Me as well. bzc3lk have you been on the Puffing Billy RR? Not very long but looks interesting.

11 hours ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Railroads are what built the American West. It didn't need to be beautiful.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

I love steam in all forms, trains , ships or in this case traction engines. To me this footage is like looking through a window in time long past in HD.:)

Then watch this: 

For me the most beautiful steam train is this streamliner 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Me as well. bzc3lk have you been on the Puffing Billy RR? Not very long but looks interesting.

Many years ago, back in the eighties.

Most of my rail fanning days were in the eighties when the  preserved mainline steam used to run on the mainline system with the ability of stretching their legs on the country section of the trip. The most memorable trip was a run on the British A3 Class Flying Scotsman locomotive when it was brought out to Australia in 1988. We did a parallel run on two tracks standing between the coaches with the Scotsman running alongside for about 10 Kilometers only eight feet away , truly a living breathing piece of machinery when viewed from that vantage point. On the second trip  we swapped trains and travelled on the Scotsman and what I first noticed was how smooth the engine was with three sets of cylinders, hence six chuffs per wheel rotation instead of the usual four, felt more like diesel traction rather than steam except for the sight and sound.

4384023608_2df1421620_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Then watch this: 

https://youtu.be/rUg_ukBwsyo

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Seen that one. I like many of Jay Leno's You Tube presentations, with him it's not all about the mainstream makes but a good cross section of different obscure brands.

15 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Beautiful Locomotive and one of my favorites. There's something about steam locomotives that you just can't beat.

PRR T1 Trust is building a T1 Duplex, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed one day.

ASfWvBS.jpg?1

I like the T-1 class. My favorite Locomotive the 520 Class, was based on the T-1 for streamlining.

cd_p1021619.jpg

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Like 1

heron deviced a steam locomotive almost 3000 years ago in the greek period

if they didnt have salves the industrial revolution would have start then and where would we be now

Posted (edited)

Not my favorite design but I guess very important for the US history and many are been seen in Western movies, are these typical steam train designs.

While I do have nothing with trains, steam trains is something that keeps a smile on my face. 

Edited by Dutch2

15 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Let the pissing begin!

No pissing here, i just do not enjoy them.

I'll get my coat.................................

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 1:18 PM, Legioneod said:

ASfWvBS.jpg?1

The locomotive you show and the Class J 611 I mentioned were both designed by Raymond Loewy. Who also designed Studebakers, the Air Force One Boeing 747, US Coast Guard emblem among many other things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

We have an exhibit devoted to his work and also the work of photographer O. Winston Link who is noted for his unique and dramatic railroad photos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link

hotshot-eastbound-1024x828.jpg

Edited by Gordon200
  • Like 1

^One of the most famous photos in American history right there. :good:

So, lots of videos have been popping up of Big Boy the last 24 hours or so. It's on an excursion right now with one of UP's other restored locomotives, UP 844. 844 was the last steam locomotive delivered to UP, in 1944.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've always had an interest in trains, also. Here's my N gauge short line railroad. Took over a year to finish.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Is the Diesel in Luke's post along for the ride or is it also working? Backup if the steamers have a failure?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Is the Diesel in Luke's post along for the ride or is it also working? Backup if the steamers have a failure?

Not 100% sure but I've heard it's just used for backup, but the steam loco does the pulling. Not all steam locomotives have diesel helpers along with them I've really only seen in on UP.

5 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

I've always had an interest in trains, also. Here's my N gauge short line railroad. Took over a year to finish.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Very nice. I've always wanted to get into model railroading since I was a child but I've never had the money or space for it.

Edited by Legioneod

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

The Diesel is a bit of added insurance, together with the dynamic braking option and  supplying  power for the coaches. The stream below clearly shows that the diesel is along for the ride as both steam Locos exhibited wheel slippage on start up, certainly wouldn't be the case if you had  the added tractive effort from the diesel.

Edited by bzc3lk

On 5/4/2019 at 4:45 PM, Trooper117 said:

Let the pissing begin!

Yup. I scan the forums just looking for topics I can jump into so I can show my disdained for something someone else admires. 😉

On 5/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, Poochnboo said:

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Nice Pooch!

I've always wanted to do an N scale layout like this.

I know an enthusiast who's into N scale and he's working on a room sized (and I mean a big room) N scale layout.

Which, for me sorta defeats the purpose of N scale. With as much space as he has I'd do a 1" scale or G scale layout.

Anyhoo, horses for courses.

Nice job.

35 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Which, for me sorta defeats the purpose of N scale.

I agree, actually. N is great, but I did it because of room restrictions. I think that HO is the perfect size for model trains. If I'd have had a whole room to use, yeah, it would be an HO layout.

38 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Nice job.

Oh...and thanks!

On 5/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, Poochnboo said:

Very nice layout there. :good: My first true model train set was an LGB setup that I received for my 8-year birthday in 1987. My dad spent a whole bunch of time setting it all up on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, complete with buildings from Pola. I have part of it set up again, but unfortunately right now some of the buildings are still at his residence up in Idaho. I didn't have any space for it after I moved out of the house, so he's kept it all these years with him for safekeeping. One day I'd love to double the layout size, but it's just too costly a venture to undertake right now. But, in the meantime, that hasn't stopped me from adding on to the rolling stock - much of the original layout was European, and I'd always wanted an American-themed layout. I've found that eBay is an excellent source for picking up railcars that have been out of production for a long time. 

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

I've found that eBay is an excellent source for picking up railcars that have been out of production for a long time. 

That's where I got a lot of my stuff, Luke. Locos, rolling stock, building, vehicles. Even the tracks. Hell, I think, actually, most of it was bought through E-Bay!

• Like 1