Sign in to follow this  
yogy

Fw 190 D-9 Dora - MG131 & MG151/20mm with one trigger only?

I am not able to fire the 13mm and the 20mm separately.

Is this a bug in 3.012c or a historic feature of the Dora (and also the F-8, btw)? 

Posted (edited)

It's intentional and AFAIK accurate. All FW-190s fire all inner+cowling guns on the same trigger.

Edited by ruby_monkey

On 4/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Big_Al_the_Allo said:

In the book: "Focke Wulf 190 at war" by Alfred Price, there is also some information about the weapon system. Here it was about a Fw 190 A3, which had 3 possibilities:
1. MG 17 + MG151/20 (wing root)
2. Oerlikon FF 20 mm (wing outside)
3. All weapons

This weapon control can probably be applied to all 190 as a standard system. At least I have no information to the contrary for the D9.

If you look at this configuration for the A3, it's the same for the FW 190 throughout (apart from the new Mg 131, of course). If you think away the outboard guns, it's the only way to fire the engine near guns together.  When it comes to design, you'll have to ask Kurt Tank and his development team. 

Tz tz tz ... zis faia efrisink tugessa is TOTAL UNGERMANISCH. 

I will indeed issue an order to Kurtl:

Immidiätlieh tshäinsh zis!

Ähemm, sorry, the Nazi just broke out of my inner team :P 

Seriously: I understand it from a "simplified production" point of view, but as a pilot I'd rather be able to spay arund a bit with the 131 and then give the big punch when 100% sure to hit... 

• Haha 3

They are like that because Dora uses same wiring harness as Antons - Antons were wired to fire nose group together with outer wing cannons wired separately.

Many Luftwaffe pilots commented that they used the MG tracers only to site for the cannons.

It's probably a legacy feature from the 190 A-0 and A-1. On those, all weapons were 7.92mm, so it'd make sense to have the prop-synchronized, non-subject to wing-bend weapons to fire all together in the same group. In any case, since iirc the synchronization system is electrical, ita kinda makes sense that the inboard weapons are on a different group from the outboard ones.

Personally I pretty much never ran out of ammo in a 190, so I can't really see a point for uncoupling the MGs, whereas it makes complete sense in a 109.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Many Luftwaffe pilots commented that they used the MG tracers only to site for the cannons.

Soviet pilots were known to do the same thing in the Yaks.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:57 PM, Quinte said:

It's probably a legacy feature from the 190 A-0 and A-1. On those, all weapons were 7.92mm, so it'd make sense to have the prop-synchronized, non-subject to wing-bend weapons to fire all together in the same group. In any case, since iirc the synchronization system is electrical, ita kinda makes sense that the inboard weapons are on a different group from the outboard ones.

Personally I pretty much never ran out of ammo in a 190, so I can't really see a point for uncoupling the MGs, whereas it makes complete sense in a 109.

Maybe there were separate circuit breakers for the MGs and the Cannons so that you could disable one of them...

On a side-note, did anyone ever remove the rifle-calibre MGs from the A-5 /A-6s? They always struck me as a little redundant, like the .303s on the Spit IX.

21 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

On a side-note, did anyone ever remove the rifle-calibre MGs from the A-5 /A-6s? They always struck me as a little redundant, like the .303s on the Spit IX.

They were removed on some mods: A-5/U2, A-5/U-3 and A-5/U8. Those are all ground attack variants though. 

Just now, Quinte said:

They were removed on some mods: A-5/U2, A-5/U-3 and A-5/U8. Those are all ground attack variants though. 

Thanks, did not know that.

I would have thought that they might actually be more useful to retain for ground-attack (strafing troops / light vehicles / emplacements) given that they had a load of ammo. I was wondering whether the RLV units got rid of them owing to the ineffectual nature of MG17s against bombers and the benefits of the weight saving.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, ruby_monkey said:

It's intentional and AFAIK accurate. All FW-190s fire all inner+cowling guns on the same trigger.

That means the D9 in DCS seems inaccurate? Because there you can fire separately with cannons and mgs.

Just now, airsheep_VR said:

That means the D9 in DCS seems inaccurate? Because there you can fire separately with cannons and mgs.

It might be? 😉

It’s a feature. Fuselage guns and wing guns were wired together - it was the same setup on the 109 when they were equipped with gondolas. 

First Fw 190s had 4 MGs in the nose (two in cowling and two in wingroots), plus two MG-FFs further out in the wings. First trigger was for MGs, second one for cannons. This never changed afterwards, despite wingroot MGs got exchanged for MG 151/20 from Fw 190 A2 on.

If we get the Fokker company to revise this design, will the dev's include dual triggers as a modification?

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Confused 1