BartimeusUruk

Which throttle to buy with VKB Gladiator MK II ?

Hi guys,

About two years ago a bought a HOTAS X as my budget was quite low … But as you can imagine, this hotas has some limits … 

In short, I'm going to replace it by a VKB Gladiator MK II (i'm mostly flying the bf109-f4), but there is a slight problem though … There is no throttle with this stick…

My question is quite simple :

Which throttle controller to by in addition to this stick ?

Thanks a lot for any answer !

Watch 6 and good flight ! 

Gladiators (both pro and non pro) have throttle lever on the left side of the base. However, if you want a spearate throttle my pick would be used X52/pro throttle (at least if your on a budget).

hy,

Thanks for the answer !

Well I'm looking for a seperate throttle, howether I thought the x52 / x56 throttle couldn't be buy seperately, could it ?

Could you not just use the throttle off your old Hotas X?

It splits from the joystick part (which could be tucked away?), then just mount the throttle nearby.

Well i've already thought of this option, and I think while i'll be building my own throttle i'll do that ;) (I'd like more button than the throttle of the hotas X) I'll go for metal build to match the gladiator.  

Thanks for the anwser by the way Festa_PWR!

Edited by BartimeusUruk

No problem.

You`re pretty much in exactly the same situation as me.

I`ve been flying with my Hotas X for years now, and only a couple of weeks ago did I get a Gladiator MK2.

I keep thinking I`ll strip the Hotas X down for parts and fudge it all into a new throttle body with mixture levers and the like, seeing as there would be a few spare axis and I have a 3d printer. Ofcourse, actually getting around to doing these things is a different issue for me, as I`m either busy with the kids or being truly lazy with my spare time.

Good luck with your build though! Keep us updated :)

I found Saitek X55 to be perfect for all occasions.  Dual throttle, bunch of axies, etc.. plus you can pick it up for ~$150 from ebay... can't go wrong with it.

Depends, since your focus is Bf 109, a (cheap) Thrustmaster TWCS throttle will be a good pair, has a axis convenient placed for "Stabilizer adjust" and an thumb HAT that can be used as propeller pitch control.

But for other (IL2:GB) planes, an GVL224 customized throttle or Kanttorini is better, because has more axes and in former of levers. Anyway both are a bit expensive.

If you mix "jets" in the equation, an VPC throttle is what best serves for both "worlds" - WWII and modern jets, but again don't fit in "budget" definition.

BTW - If are in DIY "tribe" can MOD your old X throttle for standalone use and add more buttons in their grip.

Edited by Sokol1

Well actually Festa_PWR, mine isn't ordered already but in a few days ;)

bombdetere thanks for the answer ! I have been on ebay earlier and finally i do really think i will go for an homemade one 

Sokol1 : thanks for the answer too ! 

As you can see from my previous sentence I am more in the DIY "tribe" as the kantorrini is really too  expensive for me (~500$). Furthermore I think the best way to get exactly what you are looking for is to make it yourself. 

I will definitely work on tearing apart my hotas X to make a decent throttle, and then with the feedback I get from my own usage of this enhance HOTAS X throttle, I'll make a fully custom one in metal to match the picture of the perfect throttle (for flight sim on a desk, obviously an entire cockpit replica would be awesome otherwise :)) growing in my brain. 

I'll let you know guy's,

If you have tips don't hesitate to share them ! I'll be glad if you do so ! 

Thanks for all and good flight! 

PS : Sorry for the English ... which I think might be quite bad ... 

Edited by BartimeusUruk

Try GVL224. Vitaly is based in Ukraine and is easy to deal with. He will make to your specification if you don't want any of his standard products. Everyone who has one of his units will testify to the quality and ease of use. Some people (eg LukeFF in California)  have bought one and then another!

On 5/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, BartimeusUruk said:

As you can see from my previous sentence I am more in the DIY "tribe" as the kantorrini is really too  expensive for me (~500$)

If you go make one, you can buy only the "mechanics" of lever from GVL224 (Kantorrini use the same), as well their "MaRS" contactless sensor - a good option for DIY because wok in analog mode (voltage variation) what make then compatible with most joystick controller and commercial/DIY USB controllers.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4146346/1

Hy,

Thanks for the answers ! I'm working on it. 

My plans are : get my hand on contactless sensors (I am in the process of talking with VKB to see if it is possible to get MaRS sensors), finish the design of the throttle (bf109 f4 replica but it's quite hard to get some blueprints or stuff like that. I want to be as accurate as i can) then 3D print it (sculpteo for example) in metal or plastic. Then wired it up and test it.

The process will be quite slow as I'm running out of time (working on several projects + my studies).

Thanks again !!

See you in the air !

Bartimeus D'Uruk  

4 hours ago, BartimeusUruk said:

(I am in the process of talking with VKB to see if it is possible to get MaRS sensors),

Keep in mind that VKB MaRS work only with VKB Njoy32 controller, e.g. a BlackBox.

But anyway you can add up to 4 axes to Gladiator Njoy32 controller. 

Can add more buttons too through Shift Register or perhaps Diode Matrix, since the PCB have two extra connectors internally - but information about is scarce - some guys have added 4 buttons, but don't details the connections.

Some Bf 109 throttle drawings:

109-throttle.jpg

Fl32337.jpg

This measures the guy suposedly take from a real knob:

Gashebel-daumenschalter-me-109-fw-190.jp

Time ago a  Russian guy send me drawings of entire Bf 109 throttle :

Bf-109-Gashebel-9-1.jpg

Is in Solidworks (viewer available), but files are 160 MB, if have interest send-me  a PM with email address.

BTW - I find Fw 190 throttle more practical, knob is a bit more width and in more ergonomic position - follow hand inclinations, and the console bellow is suitable for receive additional controllers.

Edited by Sokol1

hy,

@Sokol1 thanks a lot for the info and the drawings ! I do already have some of these drawings. I didn't know about the 190, but I think I'll stick this the 109 throttle (As I am 99.99% of the time flying a 109 and 99.98% of the time a f4)

Thanks again !

See you in the air !

edit : @Sokol1 for some weird reasons i cannot pm you … (the message button on your profile, I am right ?) I get the following error: Sokol1 cannot receive messages.

Edited by BartimeusUruk