TheFace

Individual Feather Control per engine

Since the P38 is incoming I think it would be beneficial to add prop feather to the individual engine control bindings so those of us that want to bind out separate engine controls can do so.  Currently it's very clunky if you have dual engine control setup to unique axis to have to use the engine swap command then feather then back to engine control scheme your using.

Macros can work, but it seems counter productive to have separate engine bindings but not feather to be included.  To be honest you don't feather unless you have multiple engines anyway, it's not usually a feature of single engine planes.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It is possible to feather the engine of a single prop plane by maxing the prop pitch and same for other engines without the feathering feature. The method is not perfect, but it will reduce drag. As for the current engine selection system I do not find a problem with it. Press 1 or 2 to select that individual engine and done. The actual real world method of adjusting individual engines was far more complicated than just pressing one button like you are proposing. Lots of actual adjustments of the planes in the game are very simple or overly unrealistic in how quickly they can be conducted. Some people even bind several actions to a macro key making it that much more arcade like. 

6 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

The actual real world method of adjusting individual engines was far more complicated than just pressing one button like you are proposing.

Pretty much every plane in the game that can feather an engine needed just a single press of a button or switch in order to do so, so no, what you are saying is not correct.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LukeFF said:

Pretty much every plane in the game that can feather an engine needed just a single press of a button or switch in order to do so, so no, what you are saying is not correct.

It is a little more complicated than that. Pressing one button to engage the feathing yes in some designs. Shutting down the engine, fuel pump, and closing the water radiator for reducing drag is also part of the procedure. Or in some airframe designs, a person has to pump a lever in order to use liquid to hydraulically feather the blade.  All of this is done to reduce possible fire and drag. Thus what you are saying is, incomplete...

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

It is possible to feather the engine of a single prop plane by maxing the prop pitch and same for other engines without the feathering feature. The method is not perfect, but it will reduce drag. As for the current engine selection system I do not find a problem with it. Press 1 or 2 to select that individual engine and done. The actual real world method of adjusting individual engines was far more complicated than just pressing one button like you are proposing. Lots of actual adjustments of the planes in the game are very simple or overly unrealistic in how quickly they can be conducted. Some people even bind several actions to a macro key making it that much more arcade like. 

Like Luke FF said most of the planes here would require only a button press (or hold) on a switch IRL.  The current keybinds are not designed to mimic reality for feather, though, it's for controlling both engines with only ONE set of keybinds.  Hell most of the binds aren't 1:1 reality, just look at flaps or trim bindings.  Since this is a survey sim and not a study sim it makes sense to have appropriate keybinds available.  Even more so that the cockpits aren't clicky, as you can't bypass the keybinds like DCS (not suggesting clicky cockpits).

I am talking about the fact the bind exists for one control methodology (single lever / bind for both engines) and yet doesn't exist for the separated keybinds.  The main consumer flight sims like Prepar3d and XPlane have separate feather binds.

It is a little more complicated than that. Pressing one button to engage the feathing yes in some designs. Shutting down the engine, fuel pump, and closing the water radiator for reducing drag is also part of the procedure. Or in some airframe designs, a person has to pump a lever in order to use liquid to hydraulically feather the blade.  All of this is done to reduce possible fire and drag. Thus what you are saying is, incomplete...

Currently you can bind most of the actions like closing the water rad, shutting the individual engine down etc to separated keybinds.  So the only one that is convoluded is the feather command.  It again works for one control scheme (single lever throttle / binds for both) and doesn't have a bind for separate engine controls.  So it's clunky unless you create a macro when you have both engines and their controls all bound separately. 

Edited by TheFace

Heres my Ju-88 with feathered props. This is the first time I've managed to do it. I was shot up and had all of my fuel drained so the engines quit.

I was trying to glide back to shore so I fumbled around and finally found Lft-Ctrl-F activated prop feathering. I was surprised I had never got it to work before.

I'm going to try and replicate it by flying and intentionally shutting down an engine and seeing if I can feather it again. 

2019_5_3__16_58_49.thumb.jpg.2f254c90670acc8a41957dbeaea03c47.jpg

Edited by Motherbrain

5 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

Heres my Ju-88 with feathered props. This is the first time I've managed to do it. I was shot up and had all of my fuel drained so the engines quit.

I was trying to glide back to shore so I fumbled around and finally found Lft-Ctrl-F activated prop feathering. I was surprised I had never got it to work before.

I'm going to try and replicate it by flying and intentionally shutting down an engine and seeing if I can feather it again. 

I have it working too, that isn't the issue, it's that you have to use the single binding and the engine select for single bindings to do it per engine that I have issue with.  So it's a macro, or you have to select engine, feather, then reselect the next engine manually.  Just clunky, and the bind is missing from separate engine controls unlike being able to basically bind each engine fully on it's own.\

11 hours ago, Geronimo553 said:

I suggest you have a look at the keybinds available in the game. You can already shut down a particular engine and close its radiators without having to select a particular engine first. What is not possible is to feather an engine without selecting a particular one first. 

And, furthermore, every plane in the game that has a an option to feather the engine has, yes, just one button or switch needed to feather the engine. That's it. All this rigamarole about having to use a pump or lever to hydraulically feather a blade doesn't apply here. Trust me, I've read the manuals on these planes where they discuss feathering, and they all state it's as simple as pushing a button or flipping a switch (Ju 88, He 111, Hs 129, Bf 110, A-20).

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also support the idea of adding separate L and R key binds for feathering props. Currently it's very clunky to do, during the usually stressful conditions that require it, imho.  Hope we can get it one day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I suggest you have a look at the keybinds available in the game. You can already shut down a particular engine and close its radiators without having to select a particular engine first. What is not possible is to feather an engine without selecting a particular one first. 

And, furthermore, every plane in the game that has a an option to feather the engine has, yes, just one button or switch needed to feather the engine. That's it. All this rigamarole about having to use a pump or lever to hydraulically feather a blade doesn't apply here. Trust me, I've read the manuals on these planes where they discuss feathering, and they all state it's as simple as pushing a button or flipping a switch (Ju 88, He 111, Hs 129, Bf 110, A-20).

And yet people complain when it requires pressing number 1 or number 2 on their keyboard to select the engine and ctrl+F to turn on feathering. Hmm and laziness holds no bounds as some people just want severals tasks done all in one key press of their marco multi key setup instead of pressing two separate keys. Which is what this thread is about. 

Edited by Geronimo553

14 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

And yet people complain when it requires pressing number 1 or number 2 on their keyboard to select the engine and ctrl+F to turn on feathering. Hmm and laziness holds no bounds as some people just want severals tasks done all in one key press of their marco multi key setup instead of pressing two separate keys. Which is what this thread is about. 

Just be glad this isn't like DCS where you're fumbling around the 3D cockpit looking for the actual switches and levers, and separate bindings for each individual airplane😄 

I don't get what's so hard about feathering the props on these planes. It's just select engine, shut down, push Ctrl-F, select the other engine, boom. Done. 😋

2019_5_3__17_14_19.thumb.jpg.f74e7ffad1f47bdaa69ec8c1b3ac7d21.jpg

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

Just be glad this isn't like DCS where you're fumbling around the 3D cockpit looking for the actual switches and levers, and separate bindings for each individual airplane😄 

I don't get what's so hard about feathering the props on these planes. It's just select engine, shut down, push Ctrl-F, select the other engine, boom. Done. 😋

Exactly, my thoughts as well.  😋 😎

21 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

It's just select engine, shut down, push Ctrl-F, select the other engine, boom. Done. 😋

That's up to 4 extra commands which you have to put on your throttle controller if you don't want to use the keyboard. Completely unnecessary for no reason whatsover.

21 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

and separate bindings for each individual airplane😄 

Separate bindings for each individual airplane would make things easier not harder (see RoF for instance).

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

2019_5_3__17_14_19.thumb.jpg.f74e7ffad1f47bdaa69ec8c1b3ac7d21.jpg

No one is debating it doesnt work right now.  Also I dont use my keyboard for bindings.

What the issue is that its setup for one bind scheme, single throttle / binding setup.  Binding L / R engines with a split throttle doesnt allow for a L feather and a R feather binding.

Binding out separately you dont use the switch engine bindings to disengage all the other engine functions because they are bound on different axis / buttons.  Its clunky to have to use the switch engine function when everything else is bound to single buttons or axis.

I could use software to create a macro, but that is something I would rather not have to do when adding a single pair of bindings would solve the issue.

51 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Hmm and laziness holds no bounds as some people just want severals tasks done all in one key press of their marco multi key setup instead of pressing two separate keys.

With that sort of logic, there shouldn't be any keybinds or axes in the game that allow the player to control an individual engine without having to specifically select it first. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

With that sort of logic, there shouldn't be any keybinds or axes in the game that allow the player to control an individual engine without having to specifically select it first. 

Nice extreme comparison you conjured up there. Very sensible...

1 minute ago, Geronimo553 said:

Nice extreme comparison you conjured up there. Very sensible...

How is it extreme?  One control binding setup leaves out a specific control.  That is all.  Why would it hurt you in any way lol.  Its more realistic and its not giving anyone some kind of artificial boost.  

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to better control options. Even better I wish GB had actual clickable cockpits. That's probably the only thing I liked about CloD.

It's just the controls the way they are now don't really bug me that much. But that's just me.

Edited by Motherbrain