Blitzen

Oculus Rift (S) Pre-order announcement

43 minutes ago, Lensman1945 said:

Pretty smart idea. I just got me a pair of those earphones, I'll have to try something similar. Do you have a link for more construction details?

No, apart form the imgur link in the post above, but it seems rather straightforward. Just pop the earbuds out, straighten up the steel wires, then bend them in place, replace the earbuds.

Amazon will send my KSC75 tomorrow and we'll see what I can do.

I've already managed to fix the CV1 prescription lenses to the Rift S with some double-sided tape so I have no doubt that the resulting contraption will be perfectly workable. Love these little redneck mods 😎

1 hour ago, Nibbio said:

No, apart form the imgur link in the post above, but it seems rather straightforward. Just pop the earbuds out, straighten up the steel wires, then bend them in place, replace the earbuds.

Amazon will send my KSC75 tomorrow and we'll see what I can do.

I've already managed to fix the CV1 prescription lenses to the Rift S with some double-sided tape so I have no doubt that the resulting contraption will be perfectly workable. Love these little redneck mods 😎

Ah ok, cheers. Yes, I've blu tacked my prescription lenses, works quite well, if rather inelegant  😏

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, kuk111 said:

Audio update day!  My 20mm cannons got some oomph finally!   

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76325/rift-s-and-rift-1-38-ptc-release-notes

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

Whooo, going to have to check this out and see if it fixed my black screen issue I have been having.

Edited by dburne

Can’t test until tomorrow, any improvements with black screen / audio issues with Rift S?

I finally got my Rift S this weekend and was able to try it a little bit. Am now on another work trip so proper long-play evaluation will have to wait. Initial impressions:

• The resolution bump is a nice improvement over the CV1: it's definitely noticeable, and spotting and ID are easier. On CV1 I used Migoto 5x and 10x zooms, with the Rift S I am using built-in 1.5x VR zoom plus Migoto 5x zoom. No discernible performance difference using an RTX 2080 with 1.1 pixel density in OTT.
  • Screen door effect is clearly present. It's much finer than CV1, and you can forget about it easily enough, but it's clearly there. I will try cranking the supersample and see what happens to the aliased lines (roads, some parts of the a/c)
  • Comfort seems good, fit seems good, lenses needed no adjustment. I have 64.5mm IPD so I'm well within the target zone for the headset. FOV does seem taller and narrower than CV1 but not by much.
  • I like the audio. With CV1 I have the earbud headphones and while they are great for immersion I tended to just wear one ear because I need to hear the house around me. Rift S headband audio is great for WAF, and I can add earbuds if I want.

Overall I am happy that I purchased the upgrade, but I can see why people are saying "get the Reverb" or "wait for the Index". If SDE bugs you, Reverb will be a lot better. If more FOV is as much as a game-changer as all the Pimax fans say, Index will be better. If Pimax are first to market with artifact-free brainwarp and fixed-foveated rendering, Pimax will be better. But given that the Rift S is a simple drop-in upgrade (literally 10 minutes to set it up) and will end up costing me only around CAD$250 once I sell the CV1, I'd say it's worth it. I will be looking closely at availability of the Valve Index in Canada and likely pull the trigger on that if/when I am confident I can get one that actually has warranty.

• Like 1

@Alonzo_LW: Care to share your zoom.ini settings, please. I can’t seem to get the right settings to get rid of the double vision. Thank you very much.

8 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

@Alonzo_LW: Care to share your zoom.ini settings, please. I can’t seem to get the right settings to get rid of the double vision. Thank you very much.

I'm using the newer Migoto mod from Lefuneste, it puts your settings into a different file, d3x_user.ini within the game's bin folder. Inside that I have the following lines which work for the 5x zoom for me:

$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsetmed = -0.142499506 

$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomyoffsetmed = -0.29499954 

$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\maskhorizoffsetmed = 0.100000001

I didn't set up the 10x zoom yet.

• Thanks 1

I ordered Rift S from Oculus Webstore on 29th of May. Information on website said 'shipping by: 30 May' which seemed really good. 

They processed my order and took my money on the 29th. Got an email saying I will get a shipping confirmation soon.

A week later and still no info on when are they going to send my Oculus , not even a 'sorry for a delay'. Nothing.

No phone numbers to ring, support is mostly for customers who have Rift already. I sent a support ticket but it's two days wait for reply.

What a joke, this is a definition of sh@t customer service. Not a great start. I think I will cancel my order if  I manage to navigate their stupid website to find it.

6 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

I ordered Rift S from Oculus Webstore on 29th of May. Information on website said 'shipping by: 30 May' which seemed really good. 

They processed my order and took my money on the 29th. Got an email saying I will get a shipping confirmation soon.

A week later and still no info on when are they going to send my Oculus , not even a 'sorry for a delay'. Nothing.

No phone numbers to ring, support is mostly for customers who have Rift already. I sent a support ticket but it's two days wait for reply.

What a joke, this is a definition of sh@t customer service. Not a great start. I think I will cancel my order if  I manage to navigate their stupid website to find it.

You may want to consider cancelling the order and getting one through Amazon if you can.

Rift S is having some issues and dealing with their customer support is a very slow and painful process at this time.

Trust me I have been there and done that.

Amazon can be returned easily for replacement or refund.

Thanks. I just cancelled my order. I was patient for a week but now I am done with this BS. 

I will go with Amazon once I get a confirmation my order was cancelled and I get a refund.

I do understand Oculus is busy with orders because of launch but if they advertise next day shipping they should at least let me know there is a delay when they fail to keep their promise.

20 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

Thanks. I just cancelled my order. I was patient for a week but now I am done with this BS. 

I will go with Amazon once I get a confirmation my order was cancelled and I get a refund.

I do understand Oculus is busy with orders because of launch but if they advertise next day shipping they should at least let me know there is a delay when they fail to keep their promise.

Yeah I had ordered my first Rift S through Amazon Prime, submitted a return due to the issue I was having and to my surprise

they actually shipped the replacement no charge and I received it yesterday, before I even shipped the first unit back which I will be

doing today or tomorrow. I had been dicking around with Oculus Support ever since the 21st on that issue, with several days between replies.

That was pretty awesome customer service by Amazon.

I was going to go with Amazon but they had no Rift in stock until mid June.

Bought it from Oculus because they advertised next day shipping. Well , I got fooled.

I guess I will have to wait. I have a new processor, mobo and ram on the way. So I will focus on upgrading my PC for now and then go back to deciding on VR. I am very tempted to check out Reverb but its botched launch is worrying.

Must wait for reviews from IL-2 community.

I bought mine on NewEgg. 2 days shipping. Still waiting for the second ship from USA to Argentina, but the shipping within the US was quick and on time.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 307_Banzai said:

I was going to go with Amazon but they had no Rift in stock until mid June.

Bought it from Oculus because they advertised next day shipping. Well , I got fooled.

I guess I will have to wait. I have a new processor, mobo and ram on the way. So I will focus on upgrading my PC for now and then go back to deciding on VR. I am very tempted to check out Reverb but its botched launch is worrying.

Must wait for reviews from IL-2 community.

If you new setup is beastly just pass on the rift s the reverb is where it's at. Or wait a bit longer, believe ACER is making an Reverb type headset with ipd adjustment. If you have a average IPD just grab a reverb.

Here's the acer, this is the one I am waiting for.

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-conceptd-ojo-headset-announcement/

Edited by JgonRedcorn
  • Upvote 1