Blitzen

Oculus Rift (S) Pre-order announcement

1 hour ago, kuk111 said:

I would definitely give it a try. Easy install and seems easy enough to revert back. I had those same hiccups on my OG rift. I always attributed it to tracking going from room scale, to my desk in corner of the room for sim'ing. wish I installed it back then. 

still have to launch from steam but just keep yourself from clicking on steamVR in upper right. that overrides it apparently 

I don't have the Steam version of the game, I have the standalone.

I only have Steam installed to have access to Steam VR for this game - only one I need it for.

36 minutes ago, dburne said:

I don't have the Steam version of the game, I have the standalone.

I only have Steam installed to have access to Steam VR for this game - only one I need it for.

Ah  sorry i only had OpenC going for 4 hours so my knowledge is limited. I guess install OpenC and launch however you normally fire it up ignoring SteamVR? 🤷‍♂️

Also holy crap Alonzo_LW   i put AWS from off to auto in OTT and AWS 2.0 is amazing balls. never ever saw that gun-sight so much as put a pixel out of place with the prop. Even while exploding a PE-2 in a shower of fiery immersion. I could def push frames easy enough before, but lets push the eye candy up now that we have all these greats tools for buttery smooth flight 🤪 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Is Open Composite specific to Oculus Home or can it be used with WMR?

Edited by Gordon200

12 hours ago, Talon_ said:

i5 8600k @ 4.8ghz

GTX1080 FE

16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466mhz RAM

I run Balanced with clouds on High, no SSAO/HDR and shadows on Medium.

Clouds are limited to medium when on balanced, you can still select high, but it doesn't do anything.

22 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Recorded playback and Nvidia Shadowplay

Hey Talon, very very nice kills!

But the video you uploaded could be a bit misleading for the general people. They might think that this is what you actually see in the Rift-S, and it is not exactly that.

The video you have produced with Shadowplay is a 1920 (horizontal) x1080 (vertical) video (total 2.073.600 pixels) , produced directly by shadowplay software and running a record in IL-2, but the resolution you will see in the Rift-S is different, it is 1280 (horizontal) x 1440 (vertical) per eye so (1.843.200 pixels, and many of them are actually hidden in the borders).

So I would say that it what you will see in the Rift-S is still inferior.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Hey Talon, very very nice kills!

But the video you uploaded could be a bit misleading for the general people. They might think that this is what you actually see in the Rift-S, and it is not exactly that.

The video you have produced with Shadowplay is a 1920 (horizontal) x1080 (vertical) video (total 2.073.600 pixels) , produced directly by shadowplay software and running a record in IL-2, but the resolution you will see in the Rift-S is different, it is 1280 (horizontal) x 1440 (vertical) per eye so (1.843.200 pixels, and many of them are actually hidden in the borders).

So I would say that it what you will see in the Rift-S is still inferior.

Pixels outside my fovea don't matter, meanwhile by my reasoning I have almost double the pixel density of a 1080p screen where I'm actually looking (both screens do not show identical images) as the two images are overlayed by my brain. I definitely spot better now than I did on my old 1080p triple screen setup.

I also run 1.2SS

8 hours ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Clouds are limited to medium when on balanced, you can still select high, but it doesn't do anything.

I switched back to High since running OpenComposite anyway thanks to the performance improvement

Edited by Talon_

57 minutes ago, JgonRedcorn said:

Just an FYI opencomposite doesn't support ASW 2.0.

IL-2 didn't last time I checked. Opening Dash always faded the game out in the background.

Just now, Talon_ said:

IL-2 didn't last time I checked. Opening Dash always faded the game out in the background.

Check again.

It does for me. I open Dash in the game and the game stays on and running in the headset.

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure it does support it. Sounds like I need to sell my rift and my odyssey and pick up a rift S. The fact that it runs so great and looks good is pretty significant. I still don't like the halo, having used basically the same design on the odyssey I much prefer the strap design. Apparently the rift s disconnects from the halo easily, if that's the case I will probably wait for a 3rd party headstrap and facial interface to come out.

Edited by JgonRedcorn

If it does I'll be pleasantly surprised - still, I like OpenComposite because it avoids triggering ASW in the first place on my setup. I definitely had noticeable ASW artifacts when I was playing in SteamVR on Wednesday night with the Rift S.

1 minute ago, Talon_ said:

If it does I'll be pleasantly surprised - still, I like OpenComposite because it avoids triggering ASW in the first place on my setup. I definitely had noticeable ASW artifacts when I was playing in SteamVR on Wednesday night with the Rift S.

I've heard people claim they see no artifacts and others say they do, really I just don't think people have any clue what they are talking about.

27 minutes ago, JgonRedcorn said:

I've heard people claim they see no artifacts and others say they do, really I just don't think people have any clue what they are talking about.

Gunsight at this timestamp

Posted (edited)

I have to say that I'm blown away by how much better IL-2 looks in the Rift-S. I don't have to apply supersampling anymore. 

Sadly my i7 6700K can't get me to a stable 80fps no matte what. So, I just cranked everything up and I'm getting a stable 40 fps since my 2080ti is doing the work. But ASW 2.0 is a nice improvement. I'm not getting as much double vision with moving planes. It's not all gone but it definitely looks improved. 

Also, they're going to update ASW 2.0 with some Nvvidia tech magic to make ASW even better in a June update.

Edited by BlackMambaMowTin

2 hours ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

I have to say that I'm blown away by how much better IL-2 looks in the Rift-S. I don't have to apply supersampling anymore. 

Sadly my i7 6700K can't get me to a stable 80fps no matte what. So, I just cranked everything up and I'm getting a stable 40 fps since my 2080ti is doing the work. But ASW 2.0 is a nice improvement. I'm not getting as much double vision with moving planes. It's not all gone but it definitely looks improved. 

Also, they're going to update ASW 2.0 with some Nvvidia tech magic to make ASW even better in a June update.

:good:

Yeah IL-2 definitely rocks in the new Rift S.

2 hours ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

Do you have a link for more info? I'd be interested to find out more.

a very deep review of the Rift-S, but sorry in spanish:

https://www.realovirtual.com/articulos/5346/oculus-rift-s-analisis

They mention the better clarity but they also talk about the lack of physical IPD adjustment causes that the sweet spot is reduced (pupila not aligned with fresnel concentric rings), some ergonomic problems, slightly reduced FOV (88º Rift-S, vs 90-92 Rift) and of course the worse audio.

At the end they make a question, IF you have a Rift, should upgrade or should I wait?...

Posted (edited)

I actually find the sweet spot a little larger than the CV1, but I adjust the headset where the lens is pretty close to my eyes.

Not only can you snug it up, but there is a forward and back adjust to get the lens close as you can and remain comfortable.

I think most folks will not have a problem with the IPD, just the ones that are on either extreme end of the range specified, like Palmer.

I really can not tell a difference in FOV.

Edited by dburne

Flew my first ever VR flight last night in a 109. I think I sat in the cockpit for about 15 minutes just looking around. Easily the best gaming experience I've ever had. It's crazy how different everything looks in 3d! Like the tube where the flares shoot out, I finally noticed that. How cool the gunsight looks. The feeling of claustrophobia when you put the canopy down...WOW. And I didn't even start the engine yet!

Taxiing out was cool, leaning out around the prop, but wow once I took off and got in the air it was just an unreal experience. Lasted about 30 minutes of easy flying so I didn't get too sick. Just felt a little drunk kinda when I was done like I had a few beers haha.

Everything ran pretty smooth in a quick flight on Balanced Graphics settings. I need to read through the VR guides to get tweaking and figure out how to get rid of the blue circle thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kestrel79 said:

Flew my first ever VR flight last night in a 109. I think I sat in the cockpit for about 15 minutes just looking around. Easily the best gaming experience I've ever had. It's crazy how different everything looks in 3d! Like the tube where the flares shoot out, I finally noticed that. How cool the gunsight looks. The feeling of claustrophobia when you put the canopy down...WOW. And I didn't even start the engine yet!

Taxiing out was cool, leaning out around the prop, but wow once I took off and got in the air it was just an unreal experience. Lasted about 30 minutes of easy flying so I didn't get too sick. Just felt a little drunk kinda when I was done like I had a few beers haha.

Everything ran pretty smooth in a quick flight on Balanced Graphics settings. I need to read through the VR guides to get tweaking and figure out how to get rid of the blue circle thing.

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

If you are like me, that feeling will stay with you every time you load up a mission.

Don, You said you were using 1.6 PD in OTT with the Rift and now with the Rift-S you continue to use 1.6PD in OTT.  (BTW, 1.6 PD in OTT is equal to 266% SS in SteamVR)

In terms of pixels, with the Rift you had 11.44 Million pixels processed by your 2080Ti with no problems:

CV1.jpg.dc0c514de1c830cd2119fbd5712dee19.jpg

Now with the Rift-S you have 15.57 Million pixels if you keep the same 1.6 PD (ie 266% SteamVR SS):

Rift-S.jpg.16801b78495886057a0a90da59816d24.jpg

The logical thing to adjust SS is to keep the GPU at 90% load (ie get the most of it = best visuals, but without exceeding 100% to avoid fps drops).

The Rift run at 90Hz, now the Rift-S run at 80Hz, so it means you can run more pixels for the same load: 11.44*90/80= 12.87 million pixels

So, to load the GPU with the same load you were applying with the Rift, you should set the SteamVR_SS=220% (or PD=1.48 in OTT)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@chiliwili69 : What value should I set SteamVR at if I’d like OTT to handle supersampling? Also, is there any difference between OTT and SteamVR supersampling in terms of performance?  I had the Vive so I’m new to Oculus. Thanks.

Edited by BP_Lizard

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

So, to load the GPU with the same load you were applying with the Rift, you should set the SteamVR_SS=220% (or PD=1.48 in OTT)

I actually reduced it from 1.6 to 1.4 on Wed , image clarity is still great - could not really tell a difference and gained a little more headroom in fps.

Edited by dburne

3 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

@chiliwili69 : What value should I set SteamVR at if I’d like OTT to handle supersampling? Also, is there any difference between OTT and SteamVR supersampling in terms of performance?  I had the Vive so I’m new to Oculus. Thanks.

I would recommend getting Open Composite to bypass SteamVR. A long time ago the two conflicted for me and I needed to use OTT’s visual hud set to “pixel density” to check. If you’re just using OTT + OpenComposite and no SteamVR it’s just one number to check.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Alonzo_LW said:

I would recommend getting Open Composite to bypass SteamVR. A long time ago the two conflicted for me and I needed to use OTT’s visual hud set to “pixel density” to check. If you’re just using OTT + OpenComposite and no SteamVR it’s just one number to check.

Thanks. I’ll try it. Did you get all your BoX modules from the official site or do you have any purchased from Steam? My BoS is from Steam while the rest are from here. I wonder whether Steam will kick in because of that. That’s my only concern.

Oh, and other tips to improve performance and visuals are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Edited by BP_Lizard

47 minutes ago, BP_Lizard said:

Thanks. I’ll try it. Did you get all your BoX modules from the official site or do you have any purchased from Steam? My BoS is from Steam while the rest are from here. I wonder whether Steam will kick in because of that. That’s my only concern.

Oh, and other tips to improve performance and visuals are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I bought the base game from Steam on sale (BoS) and all other modules direct from the website to support the developers better. With OpenComposite installed, Steam keeps my IL2 up to date with patches, and OpenComposite runs instead of SteamVR. So I kind of get the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

What value should I set SteamVR at if I’d like OTT to handle supersampling? Also, is there any difference between OTT and SteamVR supersampling in terms of performance?

You should set SteamVR to 100% in both settings (Video with Manual Overrride and App). Then freely use OTT.

In terms of performance is the same.

I have not used OpenComposite but see others are happy with that.

I also used OTT at the very beginning, but I preferred the way SteamVR handles the SS value.

10 hours ago, dburne said:

I actually reduced it from 1.6 to 1.4 on Wed , image clarity is still great - could not really tell a difference and gained a little more headroom in fps

You did it well already! :happy:

Just in any case, I think that anything above 200% in SteamVR ( 1.4 PD in OTT) in Rift or Rift-S is hardly justified from the detail gain point of view. In fact most of the gain in detail is going from 100% to 150%.

Edited by chiliwili69

I have an Oculus Rift and have been using it since Dec of 2017.  

I just bought an Oculus Quest yesterday and my brother drove over last night to spend Memorial weekend here and he brought over his new Oculus Rift S as well so we have the entire array of Oculus headsets in my house right now lol.

I'll say this...I'm very impressed with the Rift S.  I flew 2 sorties with it last night and I can back up what others are saying....it is much clearer than the Rift with spotting much easier from distance as well.  I also tried out the Auto ASW that folks have been raving about and it too is very impressive.  The flight was buttery smooth with ASW on with no weird effects that were noticeable by me.

I'm running an i7-8700k with a 1080ti and I ended up moving my supersampling back from 1.7 to 1.4 and the visuals were super impressive.  Personally, I'm probably still gonna wait to decide on my upgrade for the PC headset (want to see Index reviews, may go with Pimax for FOV) but I'm definitely now considering going with a Rift S as well.  Very nice headset..comfortable too.  Only downside is the lack of built in headphones but that is reasily remedied.

Sidenote...Get an Oculus Quest if you can.  It's a blast, can take it anywhere and the games are very impressive for a mobile VR platform.  Just my .02.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I have an Oculus Rift and have been using it since Dec of 2017.  

I just bought an Oculus Quest yesterday and my brother drove over last night to spend Memorial weekend here and he brought over his new Oculus Rift S as well so we have the entire array of Oculus headsets in my house right now lol.

I'll say this...I'm very impressed with the Rift S.  I flew 2 sorties with it last night and I can back up what others are saying....it is much clearer than the Rift with spotting much easier from distance as well.  I also tried out the Auto ASW that folks have been raving about and it too is very impressive.  The flight was buttery smooth with ASW on with no weird effects that were noticeable by me.

I'm running an i7-8700k with a 1080ti and I ended up moving my supersampling back from 1.7 to 1.4 and the visuals were super impressive.  Personally, I'm probably still gonna wait to decide on my upgrade for the PC headset (want to see Index reviews, may go with Pimax for FOV) but I'm definitely now considering going with a Rift S as well.  Very nice headset..comfortable too.  Only downside is the lack of built in headphones but that is reasily remedied.

Sidenote...Get an Oculus Quest if you can.  It's a blast, can take it anywhere and the games are very impressive for a mobile VR platform.  Just my .02.

Nice to hear about the Quest. I plan to pick it up also here before too long.

Like the idea of relaxing in my recliner playing games.

Posted (edited)

So I had already purchased Klipsch R6 II earbuds to use with the Rift S as it was fairly well known the audio

strap with the device was not going to be that great. So I have been enjoying great sound in my new Rift S as I hooked them up first thing when I got it.

Thought I would check out the audio strap, so unplugged my earbuds and gave it a try.

Man that is bad! 

Anyone looking to get a Rift S, do yourself a favor and get some good quality earbuds as it does have very good sound, just not through

that poor audio strap. Or if earbuds aren't your thing find some over ear headphones that will work with the Rift S and the halo design.

Yeah it adds to the cost but is so worth it.

Lenovo running a special on the new Rift S - $359.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/consumer-electronics/ar-vr/Oculus-Rift-S-3D-virtual-reality-headset/p/78011328?gclid=CjwKCAjw8qjnBRA-EiwAaNvhwBbcExjYjyM_grzS5A8tgepxDSWlutGUwaCc_9NNxGqV8wcPuvtdzhoCfh0QAvD_BwE&CAWELAID=120030930000082428&ef_id=CjwKCAjw8qjnBRA-EiwAaNvhwBbcExjYjyM_grzS5A8tgepxDSWlutGUwaCc_9NNxGqV8wcPuvtdzhoCfh0QAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!4030!3!261858689985!!!g!308063798140!&cid=us:sem|se|google|shopping|78011328&kw=&adid=261858689985&addisttype=gpla&prodsku=78011328

Edited by dburne

I've had a weekend to hop in a couple planes and do some quick missions in IL2. Still blown away by VR and the feeling of really being in the cockpit and feeling of flight. It's completely game changing and I can't wait to try it out in some other sims. Wish this came out 10 years ago :) Now I have way less time to play with a baby on the way due next month but hey I'll still try to fly when I can. Here's some comments on the Rift S and some stuff I still need help tweaking or figuring out how to do:

1) How do I turn off the controllers? I don't really need them in IL-2, so I don't want to waste their battery when flying...is there a way to turn them off or do they automatically or go in some sort of standby power saving mode when not used for a while? I tried taking the battery out but get a warning pop up mid game saying the headset can't be used without the controllers plugged in.

2) Graphic settings in SteamVR and the Oculus software. Where are these adjustments? I keep reading on this board about super sampling, pixel density, different resolutions, ASW 2.0...where are all these settings in both interfaces and how do I adjust them? Or are you guys adjusting stuff in the Nvidia graphics panel? I looked a few times and having a hard time finding them. 

3) The stock built in halo head band sound isn't that good like everyone has said. I was able to dig out an old pair of Sennheiser over the ear headphones that fit over the  halo band so I'll probably use these from now on. My only problem is it's yet another big cable attached to my head, how are you guys dealing with VR cable management? Do you Velcro zip tie some slack so you can freely move and check six easily? I don't want to put any stress on the wires how is everyone dealing with this?

4) Still can't get rid of that blue ring. What's the easiest way to turn this off in SteamVR?

5) My Nvidia 2060 has a USB-C port, I'd love to use this are there any adapters out yet for the Rift S that go Display Port / USB 3.0 to USB-C? I bought one off Amazon that said it was "Oculus Ready" but it has an HDMI...must of been for the old Rift I was so sad when I found that out. I have 3 monitors and I hate having to unplug one to use the Rift S, would much rather keep all 3 plugged in and put the Rift S on the USB-C port.

6) Might be my smaller sized head but the cushioned part of the  forehead pad doesn't really touch my forehead when I have the headset on and tightened. So the plastic part rubs against my forehead and is uncomfortable over time. When I make sure the front and back pads are on my head properly, the headset display is too low and is out of focus for me to see clearly so I have to move it up again to get it in the sweet spot, but then it starts rubbing my head again. Am I just putting the thing on wrong or do I have a weird shaped head? ;) I'll keep messing with it.

Get VR it's a game changer wow. Totally worth it! I get goosebumps every time I take off, or close the canopy down and feel claustrophobic. It's sooo cool.

13 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

I've had a weekend to hop in a couple planes and do some quick missions in IL2. Still blown away by VR and the feeling of really being in the cockpit and feeling of flight. It's completely game changing and I can't wait to try it out in some other sims. Wish this came out 10 years ago :) Now I have way less time to play with a baby on the way due next month but hey I'll still try to fly when I can. Here's some comments on the Rift S and some stuff I still need help tweaking or figuring out how to do:

1) How do I turn off the controllers? I don't really need them in IL-2, so I don't want to waste their battery when flying...is there a way to turn them off or do they automatically or go in some sort of standby power saving mode when not used for a while? I tried taking the battery out but get a warning pop up mid game saying the headset can't be used without the controllers plugged in.

2) Graphic settings in SteamVR and the Oculus software. Where are these adjustments? I keep reading on this board about super sampling, pixel density, different resolutions, ASW 2.0...where are all these settings in both interfaces and how do I adjust them? Or are you guys adjusting stuff in the Nvidia graphics panel? I looked a few times and having a hard time finding them. 

3) The stock built in halo head band sound isn't that good like everyone has said. I was able to dig out an old pair of Sennheiser over the ear headphones that fit over the  halo band so I'll probably use these from now on. My only problem is it's yet another big cable attached to my head, how are you guys dealing with VR cable management? Do you Velcro zip tie some slack so you can freely move and check six easily? I don't want to put any stress on the wires how is everyone dealing with this?

4) Still can't get rid of that blue ring. What's the easiest way to turn this off in SteamVR?

5) My Nvidia 2060 has a USB-C port, I'd love to use this are there any adapters out yet for the Rift S that go Display Port / USB 3.0 to USB-C? I bought one off Amazon that said it was "Oculus Ready" but it has an HDMI...must of been for the old Rift I was so sad when I found that out. I have 3 monitors and I hate having to unplug one to use the Rift S, would much rather keep all 3 plugged in and put the Rift S on the USB-C port.

6) Might be my smaller sized head but the cushioned part of the  forehead pad doesn't really touch my forehead when I have the headset on and tightened. So the plastic part rubs against my forehead and is uncomfortable over time. When I make sure the front and back pads are on my head properly, the headset display is too low and is out of focus for me to see clearly so I have to move it up again to get it in the sweet spot, but then it starts rubbing my head again. Am I just putting the thing on wrong or do I have a weird shaped head? ;) I'll keep messing with it.

Get VR it's a game changer wow. Totally worth it! I get goosebumps every time I take off, or close the canopy down and feel claustrophobic. It's sooo cool.

1) They go into standby. They do turn off after some time though, however they still work pretty good on the battery. I had one battery get low after a week's use. I will take my batteries out when I am not using the Rift S.

2) I use manual in Steam VR and set resolution to 100%.  I then set SS in Oculus Tray Tool with a profile for IL-2. I am currently running 1.4 with my Rift S. I also use OTT 

for setting ASW either on or off. I like it with it off, but I also have a beefy system. IL-2 supports the new ASW2 implementation for the Rift and Rift S,

and it is supposed to be much better than the original ASW.  Only thing graphics wise I set in Nvidia Control Panel is for power management, I set it to

"Prefer Maximum Performance" to insure my GPU boost clock is utilized. I think by default it is at Adaptive. I use the in game settings for all other

graphics settings. The Nvidia settings mostly have no affect on VR.

3)  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the Klipsch R6 II earbuds. I prefer the in ear solution myself. They have a little clip I can clip to my shirt 

to keep the cable out of the way.

4) I myself gave up on that one, I guess so used to it I don't really notice it any more.

5) You can use that C-Port with an adapter for your USB 3 connector. To my knowledge there is not one for display port yet. I just use

one of the USB 3 ports on my motherboard.

6) Sounds like a weird shaped head lol - mine fits just fine, in fact you don't want the front down low to much or like you say you will be 

out of the sweet spot. Just try to adjust best you can to get you in the sweet spot. 

Welcome to the Club and have fun!!

There's a pretty easy way to get rid of the ring, I'll have to check and see if I can find it online. I would just google it.

10 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Graphic settings in SteamVR and the Oculus software. Where are these adjustments?

The SteamVR settings are separate from the regular Steam settings. Launch Steam and click on the "VR" tab in the upper right corner. This will open another small window showing your headset is connected. In the upper left corner of that window are 3 or 4 small lines. Click on that to access the SteamVR settings.

In Video you can adjust resolution and SS.

Developer allows you to sync SteamVR start-up when you launch game.

Audio has options to switch from desktop mic & speakers to your headset when in VR etc. 

Oculus Rift S audio solution, seems cheap and effective.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

image.png.ce1091ece36430cc1f3b4e921fe88d07.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nibbio said:

Oculus Rift S audio solution, seems cheap and effective.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

image.png.ce1091ece36430cc1f3b4e921fe88d07.png

Pretty smart idea. I just got me a pair of those earphones, I'll have to try something similar. Do you have a link for more construction details?