Blitzen

Oculus Rift (S) Pre-order announcement

I just got the announcement for pre-orders for Oculus S https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=crm&utm_campaign=1&utm_term=P0&utm_content=2578&utm_emailname=201904preorder

I eventually want to replace my Rift and wonder if this might be enough of an improvement in the dreaded SDE to make it worthwhile?

i I done a little research & most say its an improvement but not exactly a big leap.still separate sensors  & better fit, it might be a good interim choice, as long as its image quality is better than Rift ( which honestly isn't too bad...)I could sell my Rift perhaps to help pay for this new "S"?

Of course i 'm not sure anyone has even tried it with GB which is just about the only sim I play anymore,so are we only guessing here? stand pat for a bit longer or jump on it & buy now?

:https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/features/

download (2).jpg

Posted (edited)

Well no one has tried it yet as it is not release yet.

Certainly should help on SDE though that is something that never really bothered me.

There are no sensors any more, as the Rift S has inside/out tracking from cameras on the headset.

Not much in the audio, certainly no improvement over Rift and a step back IMHO. Audio built into head strap.

I expect most will want to use headphones with it.

So a little better resolution.

Easier setup, Display Port and one USB 3 port. No more sensors to mess with.

No physical IPD adjustment. (software only).

Image quality little better, instruments easier to read. 

While a little better resolution over the Rift, performance should still be about same as Rift as the Rift S is running at 80Hz rather than 90 Hz the Rift does.

Due mostly to the lower price, I "reluctantly" pre-ordered one a few minutes ago. 

I am also interested in the Valve Index, but it's price tag for complete bundle is putting me off a bit so will see.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dburne said:

Due mostly to the lower price, I "reluctantly" pre-ordered one a few minutes ago. 

I am also interested in the Valve Index, but it's price tag for complete bundle is putting me off a bit so will see.

Agree with your assessment. Think you made the right choice.

Was tempted by the preorder as well, but it won't hurt to wait a bit more and let the dust settle.

Edited by Nibbio
  • Like 1

I would very much like for someone who has the rift, and gets the rift S, to say what they think of it with regards to IL-2.

6 hours ago, ACG_Kai_Lae said:

I would very much like for someone who has the rift, and gets the rift S, to say what they think of it with regards to IL-2.

I'll let you know in about 3 weeks 😉

Posted (edited)

ALSO: I just got word via STEAM that HTC VALVE VR will be available in the next month or so.I wonder if there has been any pre release info about VALVE anywhere other than in the STEAM Store site? Its significantly more expensive than Oculus but seems to promise a slightly wider field of view and reduced SDE...

Edited by Blitzen
Additional info

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

ALSO: I just got word via STEAM that HTC VALVE VR will be available in the next month or so.I wonder if there has been any pre release info about VALVE anywhere other than in the STEAM Store site? Its significantly more expensive than Oculus but seems to promise a slightly wider field of view and reduced SDE...

Not HTC.

It is Valve Index.

Little better FOV.

Better audio

Physical IPD adjustment.

Solid tracking with Lighthouse

Good controllers.

But a hefty price tag especially if one needs the whole bundle.

I am undecided so far on it.

Also HTC is working on another unit, the HTC Vive Cosmos.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, dburne said:

I'm looking forward to reading your review of the Rift S in BoX. Some of the previews I've watched really have gotten my interest. I wasn't really expecting to try VR for a bit but the $399 price point is making it hard to resist. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Rjel said:

I'm looking forward to reading your review of the Rift S in BoX. Some of the previews I've watched really have gotten my interest. I wasn't really expecting to try VR for a bit but the $399 price point is making it hard to resist. 

:good:

I will certainly share my thoughts once I have it in hand. I plan on giving it a good workout in IL-2.

You certainly have a nice rig there to run it. Not to tempt you or anything...  ;)

Edited by dburne

17 minutes ago, dburne said:

I will certainly share my thoughts once I have it in hand. I plan on giving it a good workout in IL-2.

You certainly have a nice rig there to run it. Not to tempt you or anything...  ;)

I'm looking forward to your review. My system should run it but it pales in comparison to your brute of a machine. I imagine that blows through anything you throw at it.

23 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm looking forward to your review. My system should run it but it pales in comparison to your brute of a machine. I imagine that blows through anything you throw at it.

It holds it's own pretty good, VR is still  very demanding though. I certainly am pleased with it.

Oculus has a 30 day return policy...all good for a complete testing of the headset or even a comparison with say the new ValveVR  due out later this month as well.

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Oculus has a 30 day return policy...all good for a complete testing of the headset or even a comparison with say the new ValveVR  due out later this month as well.

Latest I saw on the Valve Index was pre-orders were being quoted with a September delivery.

Sounds promising overall. The far out photo looks good but the close up looks worse than the VIVE but he might have shot it from closer with the Rift than the VIVE

Posted (edited)

Considering I have only ever used the Rift CV1 and feel it looks pretty darn good for what it is, I am hoping I will be happy

for a while with the Rift S.  Guess I don't miss what I have not seen LOL.

May consider the Index down the road, will see. Can't even get one now till like September.  If I am not happy with the Rift S, then may look at grabbing the Reverb though I would have concerns how well it would do with flight sims. Plus I would really just as soon stay away from WMR if I can.

I really do like the Oculus software though and would prefer to just stick with it. I see so much faffing about with WMR and even Steam VR with some other headsets. I have never faffed about with the Oculus software, headset just works every time pretty much plug and play.

Edited by dburne

Just heard today from Oculus & they are still on track for "S"release later this month...good news for those of us who have pre-ordered,,maybe we'll have it to play with the 262 by then???

262_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Just heard today from Oculus & they are still on track for "S"release later this month...good news for those of us who have pre-ordered,,maybe we'll have it to play with the 262 by then???

Good deal. Nice to hear at least one VR headset that may come out the time it was announced for.

Looking forward to getting mine.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, dburne said:

Good deal. Nice to hear at least one VR headset that may come out the time it was announced for.

Looking forward to getting mine.

amen brother, me too!  I took the 23rd off, and now have a 4 day weekend.  Planning to hammer the "S" real hard. 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, dburne said:

Considering I have only ever used the Rift CV1 and feel it looks pretty darn good for what it is, I am hoping I will be happy

for a while with the Rift S.  Guess I don't miss what I have not seen LOL.

May consider the Index down the road, will see. Can't even get one now till like September.  If I am not happy with the Rift S, then may look at grabbing the Reverb though I would have concerns how well it would do with flight sims. Plus I would really just as soon stay away from WMR if I can.

I really do like the Oculus software though and would prefer to just stick with it. I see so much faffing about with WMR and even Steam VR with some other headsets. I have never faffed about with the Oculus software, headset just works every time pretty much plug and play.

talking about Oculus and WMR......I had the Rift aswell and loved the plug and play concept, everything worked smooth with the Rift.

BUT, I wanted to let you know that the WMR Headsets are also great in plug and play. I am very very happy with the Odyssey + in terms of plug and play functionality and the inside out tracking. Works all great for sims like IL-2 and racing sims.

I even prefer now the WMR concept with it´s inside out tracking, everything much easier.....and besides with the Odyssey plus I don't have those ugly picture artifacts anymore, looking through the gunsight in IL-2, which I had with the Rift.

I hope you will get the Rift-S soon and will have fun with it.

4 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

talking about Oculus and WMR......I had the Rift aswell and loved the plug and play concept, everything worked smooth with the Rift.

BUT, I wanted to let you know that the WMR Headsets are also great in plug and play. I am very very happy with the Odyssey + in terms of plug and play functionality and the inside out tracking. Works all great for sims like IL-2 and racing sims.

I even prefer now the WMR concept with it´s inside out tracking, everything much easier.....and besides with the Odyssey plus I don't have those ugly picture artifacts anymore, looking through the gunsight in IL-2, which I had with the Rift.

I hope you will get the Rift-S soon and will have fun with it.

Well that is good to know thanks - just seems like I see a lot on various forums of people having to mess around to get them to work properly.

Shouldn't be much longer - next week as long as no delays, we should know soon enough about the S and how it does in IL-2.

Excited to hear your guys reports on the S. I have $350 in Amazon gift cards waiting at home to spend on something :)

Through the lens comparison - Rift S, Rift, and Vive (GearVR lens).

Posted (edited)

Reverb has a thread here also:

;)

Edited by dburne

Ugh woke up this morning with a message from my CC company that they had locked my card due to suspicious activity.

It was the dang Rift S - Oculus had put the transaction through and guess CC company thought it was flaky.

So I cancelled that order ( new ship date shows the 31st), and ordered from Amazon Prime - they still show 21st as ship date, hoping that holds true.

Posted (edited)

GREAT NEWS

from Oculus Support:

Hi James,

Your order has been processed, and is preparing for shipping! For your convenience, here is a copy of your final invoice.

And a follow up:

Hello James,

Thank you for reaching out to Oculus support. I will be happy to look into your questions for you.

It looks like you were one of the first to pre-order the Oculus Rift S!

I am not able to give you a guarantee on when you will receive the headset, but my best guess would be on the 21st or a day after.

You will receive an email with a tracking number once it is shipped which will give you a better idea.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if this was everything.

Kind regards,

Brandon
Oculus Support

Edited by Blitzen
added info

Here we have some comparison with Through lens pics of Rift S, VivePro and O+:

The LCD panels of RiftS has 3 subpixels (RGB) per pixels. OLED displays has less subpixels per pixels than LCD. That´s why it delivers better reading for the text test.

1102369447_Rift-S-VivePro-O.thumb.png.837a143324d623ab96e56215993470bc.png

The video is here:

I don't know what settings dude runs his tests at but my odyssey in elite looks way better than that at 200% ss.

Posted (edited)

Well, my Rift CV 1 looks better than all of them at 1.5 ss. I think these 'through the lens' pics are only useful as a comparison rather than actual user experience.

Edited by Lensman1945

1 minute ago, Lensman1945 said:

Well, my Rift CV 1 looks better than all of them at 1.5 ss. I think these 'through the lens' pics are only useful as a comparison rather than actual user experience.

Yeah I would not put much stock in screen captures.

Posted (edited)

Of course, the subjective user experience is what it counts after all. Although the human brain tends to justify the previous thinking to the actual user experience.

Although a camera is not an eye, and every eye is different, those pictures provides a good indication of what we will see.

Don, they are not screen captures, they are actual through the lens captures with a camera.

Here we have some more composite comparisons with the Rift, Rift S and Reverb from the Tested video:

1620957471_RecRoompicture.png.994f91457eb0280cc117cef4bf5439df.png

124450922_RecRoomtie.png.7ca5d588bba6d4fa00e981420df2fd02.png

Elite.thumb.png.21594ce138ba9735308fded999849dc4.png

They also didn´t provide any clue about the actual SS they were using for those pictures.

Edited by chiliwili69

Posted (edited)

And those to me look terrible.

Similar to the ones I saw posted about Rift and Vive a couple of years or so ago, if I had seen them before purchasing my Rift 

I likely would not have.

But the actual experience was much better than what I saw in those pics.

One just can not show an actual representation on a 2d image what one actually sees in the 3d environment.

It does however give a fair impression of which headsets have the better resolution. There is also more to a headset than just resolution.

In any event, I should know by week's end on the Rift S.

Edited by dburne

3 hours ago, dburne said:

And those to me look terrible.

Similar to the ones I saw posted about Rift and Vive a couple of years or so ago, if I had seen them before purchasing my Rift 

I likely would not have.

But the actual experience was much better than what I saw in those pics.

One just can not show an actual representation on a 2d image what one actually sees in the 3d environment.

It does however give a fair impression of which headsets have the better resolution. There is also more to a headset than just resolution.

In any event, I should know by week's end on the Rift S.

Like the man said:"Ditto"

xxx.gif