stupor-mundi

Reliability of hit detection

Posted (edited)

I wanted to post this as a bug report, but I've written bug reports before and got no feedback at all, so I'm thinking, better to post this here, and maybe get confirmation from more people. Maybe this will yield a higher visibility.

It has happened to me a number of times in recent weeks that I shot at a tank and the round seemed to go right through, as if the tank wasnt there.

That just happened to me again, but this time the circumstances were so unambiguous that I can't dismiss it. I fired at a tiger twice in a row with apcr, from the side, perpendicular, at about 300m. Of course you could say, what if the aim was slightly low, but with the tiger's kind of wheels it's pretty impossible for the round to find a gap, twice in a row. Had the round be so low to hit the ground in front of the tank (it wasnt), that would have been visible. A round ricocheting would have been visible.

My impression is that this started, not very long ago. I used to have utter confidence in the hit detection.

I'd like to get some feedback, if people can confirm this impression.

Towards the dev team I'd like to point out, that I can see technical / networking / MMOG related tradeoffs, that one might, in a WW2 flight sim, say, if an optimization has the result, that not every round is checked, with MGs or machine cannon, one might consider that tradeoff acceptable.

However for TC it's not. At all. When you shoot, you draw a great deal of attention. And in less well armored but more mobile tanks, fighting Pz6, we entirely rely on sneaking up on them and hitting them in the side, rely on, blowing them up with the first shot. And the game engine has to be reliable in this respect. Not, somewhat reliable.

===

P.S.: Just occurred to me, I hadn't mentioned explicitely, the context of this is of course, multiplayer. I keep forgetting some people play this offline.

Edited by stupor-mundi

Hi there, I think we played in the same session this weekend, and yes I had the same issues plus many more, like sound is missing, projectiles going through tanks, getting stuck in trees, fences, ammo boxes 😂

Posted (edited)

Stupor, I have experienced the same in multiplayer what you describe a few times, once confirmed by mates in TS, watching my shot/hit. The round (mainly PzGr39) seems to fly right through the tank without visible explosion/smoke caused by hit and you could follow the tracers further path. My thoughts were similar to yours, maybe the round went underneath the vehicle, very implausible and hard to reproduce from distance (unfortunately no vid). I have read in a DD it is possible a round penetrate one side of a tank and pass out the other side without damaging any vital decvices or crew, (reportedly that was historical) maybe thats a reason but also hard to believe.

BUT: If you referring this particular situation yesterday when you appeared at my left flank in the tree line close to the red base I can confirm that you hit me 3 times (to be heard/seen for me) before I managed to turn/shoot at you. Could be that your rounds hit and it is an ingame flaw in rendering the effect. Just a trial to explain. 

Edited by I./ZG1_feuervogel

4 hours ago, I./ZG1_feuervogel said:

Stupor, I have experienced the same in multiplayer what you describe a few times, once confirmed by mates in TS, watching my shot/hit. The round (mainly PzGr39) seems to fly right through the tank without visible explosion/smoke caused by hit and you could follow the tracers further path. My thoughts were similar to yours, maybe the round went underneath the vehicle, very implausible and hard to reproduce from distance (unfortunately no vid). I have read in a DD it is possible a round penetrate one side of a tank and pass out the other side without damaging any vital decvices or crew, (reportedly that was historical) maybe thats a reason but also hard to believe.

BUT: If you referring this particular situation yesterday when you appeared at my left flank in the tree line close to the red base I can confirm that you hit me 3 times (to be heard/seen for me) before I managed to turn/shoot at you. Could be that your rounds hit and it is an ingame flaw in rendering the effect. Just a trial to explain. 

Yes indeed, that situation. So maybe, the bug we're dealing with here, is not a lack of hit detection, but a flaw in the visual feedback on the shooter's side.

In a situation like this one, at this range, *some* kind of visual effect would normally be guaranteed.

I will now pay more attention to how normally a hit with APCR is rendered (if it doesnt penetrate), I couldn't really describe how, all I know is that it's clear and unambiguous at such a range.

Even though this makes it a slightly less serious bug, I think it's still a serious problem, because if you aimed high or low you'd really want that visual feedback, for correction.

This has happened to me as well. Rounds pass through tanks as if they weren't there and it has caused me to die on few occasions. Its seems to be quite rare and happens to both blue and red tanks in my experience.

Its happened to me only to be followed shortly by some sort of message that data from   *me* ------> *other guy *   had been received late by X seconds or some such thing.  I'm under the impression the hits were counted at that time but I have no real idea.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Slater said:

Hi there, I think we played in the same session this weekend, and yes I had the same issues plus many more, like sound is missing, projectiles going through tanks, getting stuck in trees, fences, ammo boxes 😂

I had the same problem, the projectile went through the tank without causing damage

Posted (edited)

Yeah, my most annoying issue alpha and all is that trees are still made of iron and even the smallest haystack can stop a Tiger tank dead in its tracks 😂 this weekend I hung up on ammo boxes and a small bush, that’s really annoying, buuuti know it’s alpha and it’s just something we need to live with at the moment. 

Edited by Slater

3 hours ago, chuter said:

Its happened to me only to be followed shortly by some sort of message that data from   *me* ------> *other guy *   had been received late by X seconds or some such thing.  I'm under the impression the hits were counted at that time but I have no real idea.

I didn't notice such a message when this happened to me, but it would make sense that it might be a network lag related issue. I'll keep an eye out whether the next time it happens to me such messages are shown.

The actual wording of the message is (was) "Outdated data hit received" followed by the shooter's then target's names and how many seconds behind.