IL2 COD BLITZ vr support when?

9 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Perhaps thou dost protest too much ūüôā

Please read the title in the present thread. Please read the OP ("original post"). Please read the answers that were provided by the community.

As a VR user in BOX , one of my strong dreams is to see those clifts of dover on VR, Playing the battle of france, and of course Tobruk ( God! what a wonderfull salad! ) .. Its hard to express the frustration of having that simulator in your gamelist, and being able to play with it.

I use trackir 5 years ago, and since i have my VR headset, i cant step back to track ir ( i believe that this is something that many TrackIr users that never touch a VR headset will understand, will all of respect ).

For now, the best thing that we can do, is wait .. wait and support the team with good attitude..

S!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
40 minutes ago, GOA_Companere*VR-* said:

i believe that this is something that many TrackIr users that never touch a VR headset will understand, will all of respect

In the last two years I used VR headsets (mainly with IL2GB and DCS). I used them at different places, on different occasions... and I always enjoyed the experience. I'm deeply convinced that VR and hand/finger-tracking are the future for all serious combat flight sims: you put on your headset and the captured mouvement of your fingers will be sufficient enough for you to freely interact with clickable cokpits. No more keeyboards, no more mice, and maybe even no more HOTAS, although that would be maybe better to keep a few solid buttons on a real HOTAS. This is how I imagine the future... a close future.

So... here we are : I AM a VR supporter. My point is that there's no point with creating numerous and endless discussion threads on the specific forum of one specific flight sim. If VR is not yet ready in this game, then it is not yet ready, end of story. And even if new problems started appearing here and there and finally the devs announce that the VR compatibility in Cliffs of Dover will take more time, then this would be accepted because there's nothing else to do.

40 minutes ago, GOA_Companere*VR-* said:

For now, the best thing that we can do, is wait .. wait and support the team with good attitude..

ūüĎć

• Upvote 2

The question i wonder is why VR addicts are not satisfied with Great Battles ?

On 2/9/2021 at 12:19 AM, GOA_Companere*VR-* said:

I use trackir 5 years ago, and since i have my VR headset, i cant step back to track ir ( i believe that this is something that many TrackIr users that never touch a VR headset will understand, will all of respect ).

I also use Track IR 5 and VR headset (HP Reverb G2) and i don't have the same feeling at all.

Yes, VR headset give a "Waow !" effect cause it give stereo, you want to touch the things in your cockpit and you feel the size of your leader aircraft in close formation, you also get a better close distance evaluation.

But in WW2 warbirds combats, the events are outside the cockpit and far enough to make the stereo effect insignificant.

At the moment, VR headset don't give the sharpness of a good screen for medium/far distance outside environement and checking your six is a real pain (i don't like snapview trick for this) hope this will be improved in CloD when implemented.

Actually, i use VR headset only for immersion in solo flight but when i fly in multiplayer campaign, i use my Track IR + screen (for a better Situation Awarness -> better medium/far identification, better Check six ability).

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, OBT-Mikmak said:

I also use TrackIr 5 and VR headset (HP Reverb G2) and i don't have the same feeling at all.

Yes, VR headset give a "Waow !" effect cause it give stereo, you want to touch the things in your cockpit and you feel the size of your leader aircraft in close formation, you also get a better close distance evaluation.

But in WW2 warbirds combats, the events are outside the cockpit and far enough to make the stereo effect insignificant.

At the moment, VR headset don't give the sharpness of a good screen for medium/far distance outside environement and checking your six is a real pain (i don't like snapview trick for this) hope this will be improved in CloD when implemented.

Actually, i use VR headset only for immersion in solo flight but when i fly in multiplayer campaign, i use my TrackIr + screen (for a better Situation Awarness -> better medium/far identification, better Check six ability).

I use TiR for Blitz as there is no alternative. I find that spotting is a wash compared with VR. The glare effect in Blitz is such that it negates monitor spotting advantage at 1440p. That, coupled with tendency for TiR to go out of "sync" with where I want to be looking means I am pretty much stuck with using labels in Blitz.

Also, do you really mean to suggest that "VR addicts are not satisfied with Great Battles" simply because there are repeated requests to see VR implemented in Blitz? If so it would be helpful to understand how you've formulated that conclusion.

Edited by Dagwoodyt
39 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I find that spotting is a wash compared with VR.

The spotting in VR is done with exagerated spot size to compensate the bad blur effect at medium/far distance and the spot size stay equal for too large range of distances.

So, the distance evaluation is really pain in VR (this has a negative effect on tactical and Situation Awareness)

The glare effect in Blitz is such that it negates monitor spotting advantage at 1440p.

This is what i call a quality in Cliffs Of Dover series (you can play with the sun position to stay invisible from your ennemies as the WW2 pilots have done in the past)

That, coupled with tendency for TiR to go out of "sync" with where I want to be looking means I am pretty much stuck with using labels in Blitz.

If your Track IR go out of "sync" it is because your tuning is not good.

I suggest you to try this Track IR profile (you probably will see a huge difference and understand what is to get a good Situation Awareness).

Also, do you really mean to suggest that "VR addicts are not satisfied with Great Battles" simply because there are repeated requests to see VR implemented in Blitz? If so it would be helpful to understand how you've formulated that conclusion.

If VR addicts were satisfied with Great Battles, they probably wouldn't come to waste their time in the Cliffs Of Dover section ... don't you think?

I conclude that there is something in Cliffs Of Dover series that miss in Great Battles, maybe all those features... ūüėČ

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Upvote 3
On 2/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, OBT-Mikmak said:

I also use TrackIr 5 and VR headset (HP Reverb G2) and i don't have the same feeling at all.

Actually, i use VR headset only for immersion in solo flight but when i fly in multiplayer campaign, i use my TrackIr + screen (for a better Situation Awarness -> better medium/far identification, better Check six ability).

Thanks Mikmak for writing your feedback about the Track IR and VR. I don't have VR and I was curious to know how is play in VR, if you can maintain a certain effectiveness, or even improve it. I think your opinion is interesting, as you are a player. Many people who write on forums are just writers or fan-boys (of both sims.).

I look more at effectiveness than anything else, if VR limits my SA, I'm not interested. I don't want to become a turkey in sky. I don't care about the WOW effect, I leave these things to others.

In racing sims, however, VR seems to help enough, not only in battles, but also in corners, with generally better lap-times.

As for the visibility on BoS: my friends and I from 5th Sqn, we have spend 10 days on graphic settings for have a (almost) decent visibility. All three of us had to use different settings, for some strange reason. Nonsense.
Also I find it very difficult to evaluate the distance of the contacts, there is no real difference between the long distance and the medium distance.
I add that for some strange reason if I zoom in to check the contacts at medium distance, I completely lose the dot. Impossible to do ID at medium distance, the ID can only be done at short distances, when the contact is already in guns range. So it becomes a "bordel des putains". 

Edited by 5th_Hellrider
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I use TiR for Blitz as there is no alternative.

There is, but you're right insomuch as TrackIR is the best view mode in the Dover series.

I find that spotting is a wash compared with VR.

There's no VR in the Dover series yet, so you cannot compare TrackIR with VR in the Dover series... you can, indeed, within the same game only (IL2GB or DCS, for example).

That, coupled with tendency for TiR to go out of "sync" with where I want to be looking means I am pretty much stuck with using labels in Blitz.

I was permanently encountering the same problem until Mikmak (yes, he's the guy) shared his TrackIR profile with me. Now my TrackIR is fine when used in the Dover series. Do not hesitate to ask for other profiles if you cannot solve a problem with your own profile.

To Mikmak: I take notice of what you said, but VR headsets are getting more and more improved, and we may guess that sooner or later the VR environment will be of equal quality (if not superior) as any HD monitor 2D visual environment. In the meantime, our Cliffs of Dover simulator will keep evolving too...

@Hellrider,

In my opinion at the moment, VR clearly limit SA (Situation Awareness) for medium and long ranges (bad distances evaluation, bad aircraft identification).

Wearing a VR headset is like wearing a scuba mask, so you cannot look to the side with your eyes only, leading in a painfull check six ability.

You need to turn your head a real 180¬į to check six... and i don't have horror movie actress ability... ūü§™

In terms of efficiency in air combat, the only positive point i found is when you are in firing position (you get a better short distances evaluation which improve aiming).

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 2/8/2021 at 8:37 PM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

In the meantime, it is ridiculous to heat the forums with always the very same question over and over again, week after week. Somebody must point out how childish are becoming all of these VR-related threads... so please, my friend, let me point it out...

Nobody has to point something out - if a topic doesn’t interest you just don’t read the thread. Asking for news/info about a desired upgrade is as legitimate as it is for TF to stay silent until there’s something to tell...

Why is it important for you that users stop showing their interest in VR?

17 hours ago, OBT-Mikmak said:

If VR addicts were satisfied with Great Battles, they probably wouldn't come to waste their time in the Cliffs Of Dover section ... don't you think?

I conclude that there is something in Cliffs Of Dover series that miss in Great Battles, maybe all those features... ūüėČ

Or maybe they really want to fly in the Battle of Britain... Just in VR ^^

On 2/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, OBT-Mikmak said:

Actually, i use VR headset only for immersion in solo flight but when i fly in multiplayer campaign, i use my Track IR + screen (for a better Situation Awarness -> better medium/far identification, better Check six ability).

So you agree that for single player (which most GB players play most of the time) the win in immersion outweighs the loss in competitiveness? ^^

I for one would love to fight the Battle of Britain in SP in VR. 

Optimal for me would be a bob2wov campaign and ai, CLOD radio chatter mixed with GBs UI, graphics and fm/dm...

But CLOD in VR would be almost as great ūüėĄ

ps

No Intention to start a dm/fm fight. Clod is great in this regard and I see why some will prefer it over GBs. I just personally slightly prefer GBs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Or maybe they really want to fly in the Battle of Britain... Just in VR ^^

For the people in this case who don't own yet CloD/DWT, the best way to get Battle of Britain in VR is to support TFS by purchasing IL2 Cliffs Of Dover/Desert Wings Tobruk.

And good news, there is 35% off sale price on TOBRUK, ($45.49 USD) and 75% off on BLITZ from February 11th - 15th.

2 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

So you agree that for single player (which most GB players play most of the time) the win in immersion outweighs the loss in competitiveness? ^^

No, i said "Actually, i use VR headset only for immersion in solo flight" , which means i don't play solo fight or campaign against AI, i fly alone (or eventually ground attack) with no air combat cause of the SA weakness of VR vs screen+Track IR.

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
On 2/10/2021 at 8:22 AM, OBT-Mikmak said:

The spotting in VR is done with exagerated spot size to compensate the bad blur effect at medium/far distance and the spot size stay equal for too large range of distances.

So, the distance evaluation is really pain in VR (this has a negative effect on tactical and Situation Awareness)

This is what i call a quality in Cliffs Of Dover series (you can play with the sun position to stay invisible from your ennemies as the WW2 pilots have done in the past)

If your Track IR go out of "sync" it is because your tuning is not good.

I suggest you to try this Track IR profile (you probably will see a huge difference and understand what is to get a good Situation Awareness).

"This is what i call a quality in Cliffs Of Dover series (you can play with the sun position to stay invisible from your ennemies as the WW2 pilots have done in the past)"

So it will help me hide from the AI? Great point. Thanks!ūüėČ

If there is an overwhelming need for some forum members to squelch discussion of VR relative to Blitz, what is the motivation? I could understand the need to do so if said discussion prevented them from accessing a game they bought. That would represent an infringement on their right to use their purchase. I do not see that as being the case. So what is the explanation of their need?

Edited by Dagwoodyt

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not squelching discussions on VR in Cliffs of Dover. As a reminder, let's repeat that the developing team already informed of the situation. THUS, there's no point with asking the same question over and over again.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Hey, you all VR-obssessed chaps, Mysticpuma is simply reminding what the developing team already said a bunch of times. Please stop polluting the forum with this question that keeps repeating itself over and over again.

I'll add the following: in the category of "survey" type simulators, there's no better software out there than the one you can find in the Dover series ("Cliffs of Dover - Blitz" & "Desert Wings - Tobruk"). Leaving the Dover series in favor of another series in the same category (I'll not name it for the moment), only because that latter presents the VR thing... this is a very sad mistake and sufficiently prooves that the Cliffs of Dover community is in fact composed of thrill seekers on their 2D monitors... for the good reasons: top notch simulation... opposite to those other thrill seekers who were only able find their thrill in the super newest technological gadget, that latter simply being a new way to represent the view in the simulation, but not a new way to make it a better simulation.

Staying on topic: in this game, VR will be ready when VR will be ready, not before, not after. There's no point in beating around the bush for years.

So asking every 3 months if there are any news on VR is polluting the the forum, but your hate speech is not ?

You have achieved an incredible "Streissand Effect" with your post ...

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa

We are simply living in a more and more tribal world with consensus bias abound - the short of it.

(*Not specifically directed at any group, just a general statement*)

• Upvote 1

Buzzsaw (Project Lead for Team Fusion) posted today:

"VR is and continues to be a priority for development.

We have discussed this with 1C and they are also in agreement this feature should definitely be a part of the next module, with retroactive implementation for BLITZ and TOBRUK at the same time if not earlier.

We are currently focused on the implementation of the trueSKY weather and cloud software... it is taking longer than we hoped for a number of reasons.  Once that is finished, VR is #1 in the code team development priority list."

• Thanks 10
40 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

So we have an unambiguous commitment to priority implementation of VR for Blitz. Discussion of VR then is fair game.ūüôā

So we have a statement from Buzzsaw (quoted by Mysticpuma) which doesn't bring more information than the information I provided myself. AT PRESENT, the more we talk about, the less we learn about.

I'm really enjoying the show, please let's wait until once again one merry chap comes here, to this thread, or even better, goes to a new thread he created, and asks: "Hey fellas! what about Cliffs of Dover? when will this game be compatible with VR?".

I laughed so loud today, when reading the present thread at my home in the Paris suburbs where I live, that even Vladimir Putin heard me in Moscow...

12 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Is it wait till the next module(which isn't announced) or as soon as clouds are done? 

In late 2016 the first add-on for "Cliffs of Dover - Blitz" was announced for release in 2017... but the add-on wasn't released until mid 2020 (and the add-on was titled "Desert-Wings - Tobruk" as everybody knows now).

As per the above, in my humble opinion there are good reasons to think that we should expect TrueSky and VR are implemented before the end of 2021... but the release of the new add-on will most likely happen by 2023 or 2024.

I am not a developer of Team Fusion Simulations (TFS) nor I am a spokesperson for TFS. All of this was nothing but my humble opinion.

• Upvote 2
On 2/10/2021 at 11:35 AM, No.501_Osprey said:

Is there a reason why VR isn't mentioned?  Or is this considered a feature?

VR is a big complaint now.  ACG have decided to go to Tobruk from Kuban for our next campaign but the VR guys aren't pleased about it and that's understandable.  This will commence early Summer there there will be a period of a few extra DWT sales and 1 fat server online on a Sunday for the duration.

Hello Osprey

VR is and continues to be a priority for development.

We have discussed this with 1C and they are also in agreement this feature should definitely be a part of the next module, with retroactive implementation for BLITZ and TOBRUK at the same time if not earlier.

We are currently focused on the implementation of the trueSKY weather and cloud software... it is taking longer than we hoped for a number of reasons.  Once that is finished, VR is #1 in the code team development priority list.

Context is important. Why post a response without the question that prompted it?

Edited by Dagwoodyt
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

In late 2016 the first add-on for "Cliffs of Dover - Blitz" was announced for release in 2017... but the add-on wasn't released until mid 2020 (and the add-on was titled "Desert-Wings - Tobruk" as everybody knows now).

As per the above, in my humble opinion there are good reasons to think that we should expect TrueSky and VR are implemented before the end of 2021... but the release of the new add-on will most likely happen by 2023 or 2024

Hmmm....based on the above previous time scales and the ‚Äúnumber of reasons‚ÄĚ it‚Äôs taking them longer than they expected to implement TrueSky, I wonder if VR implementation is going to be 2022?

18 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Every 3 months, cercataa? Are you joking?

There was no activity since September 20th until some days ago.

I just saw activity here, and asker for an update ... and you were already moaning

And telling us that if we don't like simulators in 2D we are shit

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

I am no shadow moderator. All I'm saying is that some people are in such and expectation and restlessness with this VR thing in Cliffs of Dover that they do not even read the forums. The last news we had came by August 2020 and stated that VR would be implemented by early 2021 at the earliest. No date was given at the latest. Rather than asking the same question over and over again, let's be patient and wait for more nutritious news. In the meantime, all of this gossip is nothing but a waste of time. I point out an attitude because it harms the game and it forces the developers to be tuned to the forums rather than working on the implementation of VR. You may say I'm a shadow moderator. You may say I moan. And I say that there is some lack of maturity out there in the simmers community. I read your criticism. Read mine.

• Upvote 4
4 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I point out an attitude because it harms the game and it forces the developers to be tuned to the forums rather than working on the implementation of VR. 

So we better close the forum, because anything we say can distract developpers ... not only speaking about VR.

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa
  • Haha 4
35 minutes ago, =SFF=_cercataa said:

There was no activity since September 20th until some days ago.

I just saw activity here, and asker for an update ... and you were already moaning

And telling us that if we don't like simulators in 2D we are shit

EXCUSE ME???????

Hello Guys

Please keep the antagonism and conflict lower or I will need to close the thread.¬† ūüėČ

I am sure we have valid points of view on both sides.

As for TF, we are aware VR is important for many in the community and we are working to implement it as soon as possible.

However, we will not provide this feature until we have confirmed it will work correctly and give the players a good experience and not detract from their ability to function within the BLITZ/TOBRUK/TF 6.0 Air Combat environment.

There is no point in adding VR prematurely if it is not functioning optimally.

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 8

Periodic updates relative to trueSKY implementation might be comforting. VR is an inescapable topic for flight sims. Maintaining civility would seem key to establishing "safe harbor" for discussion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, Dagwoodyt said:

Periodic updates relative to trueSKY implementation might be comforting. VR is an inescapable topic for flight sims. Maintaining civility would seem key to establishing "safe harbor" for discussion.

So what is Truesky? Similar to the weather in MSFS? Real time weather? 

It would be cool to see some videos along the way. 

Can it be used in BoX?

20 hours ago, CDRSEABEE said:

So what is Truesky? Similar to the weather in MSFS? Real time weather? 

It's an atmosphere/weather rendering middleware - fairly popular and producing really nice results: https://simul.co/ - although I don't know if MSFS uses TrueSky, verified implementations of TS that I have seen are, IMO, prettier than MSFS's clouds especially at closer range (but that is variable and depends on the settings used so it just might be that MSFS already uses truesky but with different settings). If the game physics can follow then maybe we can even have drastically changing weather conditions over time during a session.

What it renders depends on what you send it, if you send it stuff from realtime weather it would indeed try to render realtime weather conditions but what would be the point for a ww2 flight sim over the coast of north africa?

Edited by 335th_GRFirdimigdi
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I read through this thread, and all I can say is that I for one want this to be available in VR. I just discovered this game, playing Stalingrad in VR has been awesome, I'd love to fly along the Normandy coast in a Spitfire in VR. So please accept my vote for VR as the highest priority, I'd rather have this than extra clouds or whatever. ūüėÄ

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I believe that the developers are following a more "traditional" way, evidently believing that most of the owners of ClOD are players who do not use VR or who in any case can do without it. Personally I think the situation is different: developing other aspects than VR does not increase the number of players/buyers, while there are many who play GB in VR and are ready to dive into ClOD to try out new theaters / planes if VR is available. I've had ClOD since release, and played with it until I had VR, then stop. I didn't buy Tobruk just because there is no VR, but I would do it right after release. Honestly my fear is that it takes so long before a stable VR release that the game is out of date.

Of course I understand that the developers may have other ideas regarding the development of ClOD, or that the implementation of VR is so difficult that it will still take several years. But it is a pity that there is no effort (perhaps by the GB team) to speed up the times, certainly they would also benefit from it. It is equally true that GB's own strategies are sometimes unclear to many, such as developing elements such as DVD instead of focusing on developing new aircraft. This is not to say that DVD is not interesting, but it would not convince me to buy an expansion, while a couple of planes do.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:46 PM, 22.Gr.CT.Ludovisi said:

developing elements such as DVD instead of focusing on developing new aircraft

It is rather clear that those two elements are not mutually exclusive though. Surely the 3D modellers, texturers and the physics developer aren't the ones programming the DVD implementation which will add an element of detail to the Tank Crew expansion that it is currently lacking.

And things like a VR implementation in an older custom engine like CLOD's is not necessarily a straightforward one-subset-of-programmers-involved-only subject. For example, and from experience: you might find that there's something in the rendering pipeline that causes an issue that's related to the way 3D objects' hierarchy is set-up and thus you'd need to involve initially the graphics engine developer but then you find that if they make a sweeping change which corrects this issue it would break more things than it would fix; so then you decide that it would be more prudent to have the asset artists revise the hierarchy of the objects affected. In the meantime they are already busy with making new things and correcting errors on older things and since you are already passed release and have downsized the team a bit and only kept your core team members, that gets added to their backlog of tasks, etc, etc.

So yes, patience is best. The developers have said they want to implement it, so that's that really - how they go about doing it and how long it takes them is up to them and there is no point in trying to point out how their approach is wrong or how we'd manage it better. It's only frustrating for a game developer to "get told" in such a manner and it only agitates players further as they end up obsessing over it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this in VR. And hopefully we will.

Edited by 335th_GRFirdimigdi
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3
8 hours ago, 335th_GRFirdimigdi said:

So yes, patience is best. The developers have said they want to implement it, so that's that really - how they go about doing it and how long it takes them is up to them and there is no point in trying to point out how their approach is wrong or how we'd manage it better. It's only frustrating for a game developer to "get told" in such a manner and it only agitates players further as they end up obsessing over it.

Thank you Firdimigdi. You've perfectly summarised what I'm trying to clarify for months now.

15 hours ago, 335th_GRFirdimigdi said:

It is rather clear that those two elements are not mutually exclusive though. Surely the 3D modellers, texturers and the physics developer aren't the ones programming the DVD implementation which will add an element of detail to the Tank Crew expansion that it is currently lacking.

And things like a VR implementation in an older custom engine like CLOD's is not necessarily a straightforward one-subset-of-programmers-involved-only subject. For example, and from experience: you might find that there's something in the rendering pipeline that causes an issue that's related to the way 3D objects' hierarchy is set-up and thus you'd need to involve initially the graphics engine developer but then you find that if they make a sweeping change which corrects this issue it would break more things than it would fix; so then you decide that it would be more prudent to have the asset artists revise the hierarchy of the objects affected. In the meantime they are already busy with making new things and correcting errors on older things and since you are already passed release and have downsized the team a bit and only kept your core team members, that gets added to their backlog of tasks, etc, etc.

Well said. For my part, I just bought the game. I haven't opened it yet, and probably won't until it gets VR, but the way I see it, Every little bit counts. Not just money, but to let the devs know people are still interested in this game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2