IL2 COD BLITZ vr support when?

On 8/23/2020 at 9:44 PM, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

A recent flight sim community survey has VR at 12 percent. There's probably some selection bias involved (for comparison, nine percent report hardware cockpits built or purchased). Unfortunately I doubt there are any better datasets available to the public.

This Navigraph survey is perhaps not the most representative for a combat sim genre (check also @[CPT]HawkeyeP post above: 

).

How about BoX specific poll available elsewhere on this forum:

Out of some 300 participants, close to 40% fly in VR (note that the poll question was about "not being in VR").

Edited by apollon01
  • Upvote 2
12 hours ago, apollon01 said:

Out of some 300 participants, close to 40% fly in VR (note that the poll question was about "not being in VR").

And how do you make sure that these 300 participants are a representative cut of the IL-2 playerbase?

Just because 40% of participants in that poll state they are using VR doesnt mean 40% of the overall playerbase do.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, JG4_Karaya said:

And how do you make sure that these 300 participants are a representative cut of the IL-2 playerbase?

Just because 40% of participants in that poll state they are using VR doesnt mean 40% of the overall playerbase do.

Its like arguing whether God exists. How can anyone say it doesnt?

I say it does, prove me wrong!

9 minutes ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Its like arguing whether God exists. How can anyone say it doesnt?

I say it does, prove me wrong!

Poor argumentation at best, blind bias at worst.

It's called statistics and representative sampling is a critical part of it as any statistician worth their salt will tell you.

Taking numbers from a random poll is just that. BS in, BS out.

2 hours ago, JG4_Karaya said:

I did not claim the poll was representative. I mentioned it was BoX specific and linked it so that everyone could draw his/her own conclusions.

Worth taking into account is the way the question was formulated: Why are you still not in VR in 2020? In my opinion such a question attracts primarily those who are not in VR. So I would bet the real share is actually even higher 👍

• Upvote 2

I doubt that. People who are not interested in VR will simply not visit a thread about VR. On the other hand the confident VR users seem to jump at every chance of explaining to the unenlightened flat screen users why VR is the best thing since sliced bread.

But as said earlier all of this is guesswork at best without any meaningful statistics.

• Like 2

I'm so tired of people saying not to add VR because only small percentage of people uses it ...

There are many feautures that are only used for a small percentage of people in fligh sims, and I never see people bashing it when they suppor it ...

How many people use multipleyer in BoS ?

How many people uses dedicated hardware like the things RealSimGear does ?

I never saw people opposing to support of exotic hardware in flight sims ... why so much hate to VR ?

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa

S!

There is no "hate" on VR. It is just that some people can be very vocal of it taking VR as the holy grail, saving flight simming. It has to be incorporated to every sim or they won´t buy or play it. And seems to be a do or die question for them either to play a sim or not. VR adds a boatload of immersion without a doubt, tested it and liked it. But it has limitations as well, mainly hardware and visual. You can not enjoy VR to the fullest without a very good rig, it will cost you a kidney and something else :P If I can run a game on a screen at maximum visual fidelity settings without FPS being an issue and then have to drop settings to make game run VR runs at acceptable FPS..it is obvious which one I choose at the moment.

The now to be released nVidia Ampere cards and a bit later coming AMD RDNA2 might change the scene a bit along with the new AMD/Intel CPUs down the pipe. But they all cost money and not cheap at all for an average gamer. It would be a dream come true if sims we play could really use all our 6 to 16 cores and threads, not just tax one or two cores and require 10GHz to run. I bet it would help VR too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, JG4_Karaya said:

I doubt that. People who are not interested in VR will simply not visit a thread about VR. On the other hand the confident VR users seem to jump at every chance of explaining to the unenlightened flat screen users why VR is the best thing since sliced bread.

But as said earlier all of this is guesswork at best without any meaningful statistics.

To be fair to that voiceless sea of VR users, whom are often the subject of misrepresentation from the misguided, less fortunate 60% portion of our fair community, it is only right, that a VR user, no matter, their colour, creed, religion or sexual orientation, should, be able to freely enter The dark, slippery and often abhorrent world of flat screeners to offer the olive branch of hope and momentary joy.

The mere presence of a VR entity within their shadowy flat lives, lifts the spirit and calms the soul. Its a wonder indeed that having a VR user present in their midst cannot be claimed as a medical benefit!

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Well, VR users seem to be the vegan people in flight simming. 

How do You recognize a vegan? He's going to tell You. 😄

Old joke but so true. 

But let's get serious. I love VR. Absolutely. I was flying for more then 2 Years VR exclusively after I got my first headset. I must admit that I was kind of ignorant in this time. 

So Desert Wings and MSFS 2020 forced me back to screen and Headtracker and You know what? I have a hell of a time being back on monitor flying. Now I divide my flying time. 60% VR and 40% on the screen. As always there is not only black and white in live. 

For as I love different sims for what they have to offer, I love flying on the screen for several reasons once again and I'm grateful that I didn't sold my Track IR. 

At least I don't throw my beer all arround  in my cockpit when flying on the screen. If I try to grab it with the goggles on, well that's another story though . 😄

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
On 9/10/2020 at 1:15 AM, Blooddawn1942 said:

At least I don't throw my beer all arround  in my cockpit when flying on the screen

🤣 Imagine flying VR, in one of those fancy hydraulic sim pits while sipping on a coffee, or having an ice cream during a rough landing .. . ? 😜

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to when they add VR support!

Just want to add that many people seem to have experienced VR only with some old or entry level headset and they formed a permanent negative opinion of VR. Newer headsets like the Reverb, and to a lesser extent the Index, are on a whole another level when it comes to clarity. Its the equivalent of looking at a 720p monitor. 

• Like 1

Off topic: years ago I saw a video where a guy was showing off his hand-built sim chair. All was good until taxiing on 'rough ground.' He had set the gains too high and was getting sick. Stumbling out of the chair, he quickly ended the recording.

As to VR, I don't have the gear but am researching it now (it seems to be coming into its own). TFS were fans before they were developers; I trust they will implement if 1C continues support. Gaining 1C's confidence (or some better word) had to come first. Failing that: no more code license; no more game development; no VR.

Edited by buster_dee
  • 4 months later...

I enjoyed Cliffs of Dover - love the BoB and desert campaigns - but since going VR, I've never flown it again.

VR is truly amazing, I was blown away the first time I put the headset on. You are truly "in" the cockpit - and I remember CoD cockpits being beautiful

I would purchase Tobruk at double (triple?) the price if it were available in VR in a heartbeat

• Upvote 1

Hey, you all VR-obssessed chaps, Mysticpuma is simply reminding what the developing team already said a bunch of times. Please stop polluting the forum with this question that keeps repeating itself over and over again.

I'll add the following: in the category of "survey" type simulators, there's no better software out there than the one you can find in the Dover series ("Cliffs of Dover - Blitz" & "Desert Wings - Tobruk"). Leaving the Dover series in favor of another series in the same category (I'll not name it for the moment), only because that latter presents the VR thing... this is a very sad mistake and sufficiently prooves that the Cliffs of Dover community is in fact composed of thrill seekers on their 2D monitors... for the good reasons: top notch simulation... opposite to those other thrill seekers who were only able find their thrill in the super newest technological gadget, that latter simply being a new way to represent the view in the simulation, but not a new way to make it a better simulation.

Staying on topic: in this game, VR will be ready when VR will be ready, not before, not after. There's no point in beating around the bush for years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

When you see an update that TrueSky has been released, you'll know work on VR has become the focus of the teams programming work.

Are you an official "spokesperson" for TFS?

Edited by Dagwoodyt
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Are you an official "spokesperson" for TFS?

69thSpiritus who is in Team Fusion and posted on the third page of this thread:

"Implementation of the new weather system and new clouds is the first element we will be finishing, is was hoped we could get it done for the release but it wasn't. That will come first.

Regarding VR, it is too early to tell. If DWT is successful, then yes we will  begin working on that. We don't know this yet so no target date either."

Also in another thread:

69th_Spiritus - October 7th 2020:

"VR is a long ways off. We are focusing on finishing tessellation, seeing if we can give the option of 4k textures for aircraft, and implementing the new clouds/weather system.

Then we can start messing around with VR."

August 15th 2020 - Project Lead "Buzzsaw" posted:

"At this point VR is between six and nine months away assuming the work goes as planned."

So no, I am not an official spokesperson for the team but I do read the forums.

More info. here:

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mysticpuma said:

69thSpiritus who is in Team Fusion and posted on the third page of this thread:

"Implementation of the new weather system and new clouds is the first element we will be finishing, is was hoped we could get it done for the release but it wasn't. That will come first.

Regarding VR, it is too early to tell. If DWT is successful, then yes we will  begin working on that. We don't know this yet so no target date either."

Also in another thread:

69th_Spiritus - October 7th 2020:

"VR is a long ways off. We are focusing on finishing tessellation, seeing if we can give the option of 4k textures for aircraft, and implementing the new clouds/weather system.

Then we can start messing around with VR."

August 15th 2020 - Project Lead "Buzzsaw" posted:

"At this point VR is between six and nine months away assuming the work goes as planned."

So no, I am not an official spokesperson for the team but I do read the forums.

More info. here:

Have you have re-posted some of these materials before? I am not seeing anything new. The development schedule of August 14, 2020 is pretty clear as to the intended order of appearance of game upgrades. If you have any new info as to when trueSKY is coming that would be of some interest. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Have you have re-posted some of these materials before? I am not seeing anything new. The development schedule of August 14, 2020 is pretty clear as to the intended order of appearance of game upgrades. If you have any new info as to when trueSKY is coming that would be of some interest. Thanks!

So a question was asked "I see activity here, but no news regarding VR support, isn't it ?"

The timeline from TFS themselves says that only after Truesky has been implemented will VR work progress.

You ask me if I am an official spokesman and I reply that I am not but I have posted information found on the forums.......and you say "I am not seeing anything new"? Well that's because I was answering someone else's question with information they may not have seen. Only TFS has info when TrueSky is coming and as I am not an 'official' spokesman it would be hard for me to know?

Maybe PM Buzzaw, Pattle, Spiritus?

Guys, this has dragged on for far too long. Team Fusion has understood the desire for VR for a long time. People saying "not buying this until VR is added" is not going to make it happen faster. In fact, it just makes for a big eyesore for the developers and fans of this game.

People stated that Tobruk would never come out, look where we are now. 

P.S. Before 1CGS could add VR they had to update the graphics to DirectX 11. Not really sure how long that took, but it was probably very labour intensive, but at the end it was added which allowed them to add VR in the following months.

• Like 1

Surely the implemention of VR is a huge work... maybe it is even harder because it is a quite old game/engine. I'm not a techinician, so if developer said that they need to improve others area before VR, I trust them. The "problem" is that the time pass and this sim get older: the risk is that when VR will be improved, many player have move on other sims. Obviously I have no answer to how to proceed, but IMHO developers should put as priority the improvements strictly related to VR implementation.

6 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

only because that latter presents the VR thing... this is a very sad mistake and sufficiently prooves that the Cliffs of Dover community is in fact composed of thrill seekers on their 2D monitors... for the good reasons: top notch simulation... opposite to those other thrill seekers who were only able find their thrill in the super newest technological gadget, that latter simply being a new way to represent the view in the simulation, but not a new way to make it a better simulation.

Staying on topic: in this game, VR will be ready when VR will be ready, not before, not after. There's no point in beating around the bush for years.

I disagree with what you said strongly. I have detailed my struggles to make trackIR work for me in order to enjoy this fantastic game but it has ultimately repelled me as neck pain in trying to control the Camera makes longer sessions not possible for me.

i would suggest thinking of VR not in terms of a graphics feature but as an accessibility option for people who have no other way in.

• Confused 2
2 minutes ago, enyak said:

I disagree with what you said strongly. I have detailed my struggles to make trackIR work for me in order to enjoy this fantastic game but it has ultimately repelled me as neck pain in trying to control the Camera makes longer sessions not possible for me.

If you're already suffering neck pain with TrackIR, wouldn't this be worse with VR because of the 1:1 translation of head movement? With TIR you can set up how much real life head movement you need to move your head in the game.

Also it sounds to me like you need to set up some deadzone around the center inside the TIR software so you have some wiggle room and don't have to sit around with a stiff neck to get a stable view ahead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
44 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

Guys, this has dragged on for far too long. Team Fusion has understood the desire for VR for a long time. People saying "not buying this until VR is added" is not going to make it happen faster. In fact, it just makes for a big eyesore for the developers and fans of this game.

People stated that Tobruk would never come out, look where we are now. 

P.S. Before 1CGS could add VR they had to update the graphics to DirectX 11. Not really sure how long that took, but it was probably very labour intensive, but at the end it was added which allowed them to add VR in the following months.

I do not generally post to the "Multiplayer" topics of the forum as I am not especially interested in MP. I post regarding "VR" related topics because I am interested in VR. If discussions about VR are upsetting perhaps just avoid them. To implore other forum members to cease discussion of the topic might be construed to imply that one considers lack of VR support to represent an acute embarrassment: "In fact, it just makes for a big eyesore for the developers and fans of this game." I am sure you do not want to give that impression.

Dagwoodyt, with respect, the developing team already stated something on the VR thing in connexion with this game. This feature is under developmet at present, at least TrueSky is being implemented, and TrueSky is a software which will help with the requirements for VR. In the meantime, it is ridiculous to heat the forums with always the very same question over and over again, week after week. Somebody must point out how childish are becoming all of these VR-related threads... so please, my friend, let me point it out...

• Upvote 4
36 minutes ago, Karaya said:

If you're already suffering neck pain with TrackIR, wouldn't this be worse with VR because of the 1:1 translation of head movement? With TIR you can set up how much real life head movement you need to move your head in the game.

Also it sounds to me like you need to set up some deadzone around the center inside the TIR software so you have some wiggle room and don't have to sit around with a stiff neck to get a stable view ahead.

I have not yet properly diagnosed the reason but I suspect it’s the strain of holding an unnatural pose for too long when either tracking s target or lining up a guns shot. I think you are right about the deadzone helping but this has frustrated me as well as small perspective corrections then become more difficult to judge. I am going to keep trying from time to time.

3 minutes ago, enyak said:

I have not yet properly diagnosed the reason but I suspect it’s the strain of holding an unnatural pose for too long when either tracking s target or lining up a guns shot. I think you are right about the deadzone helping but this has frustrated me as well as small perspective corrections then become more difficult to judge. I am going to keep trying from time to time.

A virtual pilot, a virtual friend... recently shared with me his TrackIR profile, and this gladly improved my use of TrackIR. Let me send it it to you so that you try it... what do you think?

24 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Surprised anyone? 

Dagwoodyt, what gamers on the present forums (of those who are permanently complaining of the lack of VR in Cliffs of Dover)... do not satisfy their lust for the VR experience with the Great Battles series?

Mysticpuma simply hit the nail on the head. Stop taking us for fools.

• Upvote 1